NOW CLOSED -- June 2021 Forums XF 2.0 Upgrade. File your complaints & bug reports here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
I noticed that
when I clicked the three vertical dots next to the bell icon, it went away
good suggestion re prefs
it’s getting complicated!

Yes I saw that for light and dark styles, but it isn't an option for Xenforo which I have gotten used to using.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
This is what the registered non-subscribers see..

1627343686309.png

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
AA57AE09-81A3-4948-81FD-F73DC83A4D71.png

How do I turn off the Mark forums read ? If I accidentally touch it trying to touch Latest Posts?

What does this button actually do?
Can I get rid of it?
Or can it be relocated somewhere else out of harms way?

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
it's bit like 'spot today's change'
now the '[forum member] replied [at time]' is on the left

Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 10.52.01 am.png

No,

You have just tipped into tablet breakpoint

I'm not sure why UI.X2 uses that layout specifically for tablet between 900 & 1200 px -- then revert to 3 column at 900 pixel - then back to single for phones ??

But it's not a change I have made.

Reactions: currawong

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
What does this button actually do?

It is only there for 'Latest Posts'

If you have Unread threads checked as a filter -- then mark all as read will reduce your list to zero and the list starts building afresh from that time forward -- some people probably use it with skill and intention. (It's not always about you...)

1627350426449.png

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
This assumes some sort of intelligence on the software writers part, whereas I know the truth is they are dementors.
It appears there are not so many of us, but "Unread" is a huge feature for me. Most of the time, I only want to see a list of threads I haven't yet read. Dive into those I want and the rest get marked as read in bulk. Keeps my feed clean and minimal.

Reactions: MarzNC and crackson

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
It appears there are not so many of us, but "Unread" is a huge feature for me. Most of the time, I only want to see a list of threads I haven't yet read. Dive into those I want and the rest get marked as read in bulk. Keeps my feed clean and minimal.

I'm assuming the label Mark forums read filters Forums in lieu of Threads which is a pretty broad sweep. So if you look at one Thread in a Forum does it then assume you have read and done with the whole Forum? Or am I reading the words and not the intention which is something else?

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Pretend it doesn't exist.

So there is a button right in the middle of the screen that the best advice that can be provided is to ignore it. That seems strange to have a useless button right in the middle below the button used 1/2 the time. Grrr.

Reactions: crackson

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
I'm assuming the label Mark forums read filters Forums in lieu of Threads which is a pretty broad sweep. So if you look at one Thread in a Forum does it then assume you have read and done with the whole Forum? Or am I reading the words and not the intention which is something else?
All threads have a read/unread status. Unread show as slightly bolder in appearance. Once you read it...

But then you can mark all threads in a forum as read. But that doesn't do anything significant by itself, until you use filters: Think "active topics" except "Only show unread" (across all forums). What would be really nice, but too complicated from a UI pov, is forum lists that are "only unread". It can be done using the filter, but given I've got the filter set to a default of "all unread", it would get too fiddly.

Reactions: skifree

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
All threads have a read/unread status. Unread show as slightly bolder in appearance. Once you read it...

But then you can mark all threads in a forum as read. But that doesn't do anything significant by itself, until you use filters: Think "active topics" except "Only show unread" (across all forums). What would be really nice, but too complicated from a UI pov, is forum lists that are "only unread". It can be done using the filter, but given I've got the filter set to a default of "all unread", it would get too fiddly.

The real issue (apart from where the button is) is there is no way to go back. You are asked if you want to do proceed but it actions if you close using the X and if you agree to procced. There is no obvious yes/no process.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz

It marks threads I've never looked at as read, but let's some thru, it's actually quite a weird filter.

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
It marks threads I've never looked at as read, but let's some thru, it's actually quite a weird filter.
The "mark as read" can be done on a forum by forum basis or everything. I use both. Once I've got everything marked as read, my "Latest" list becomes empty. Works very well for me.

Reactions: MarzNC

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
The real issue (apart from where the button is) is there is no way to go back. You are asked if you want to do proceed but it actions if you close using the X and if you agree to procced. There is no obvious yes/no process.
Hitting the cross should dismiss the dialog without any action.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Weird here too @Richard .

Using Safari on MacBook Pro.
yep
I've switched over to my work W10 lappy, connected to the same 40" Sony tv monitor
I get the columns on this view

Style changes have not flushed from your cache. It's curious that this theme is doing that, when style changes on the UI.X themes are instantaneous.

Either way, find a way to force a refresh. There's only 40 odd of you on this theme compared to 5000 on the UI.X themes.

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Sidebar has been tweaked to to encourage upgrade by regular members - as you have discovered there is control to collapse for Blue, Silver & Gold members (registered non-subscribers can not collapse)

I don't think it's an option to collapse in the Xenforo theme so I'll have to investigate.

Now no longer have sidebar running Xenforo. :):thumbs:

Reactions: Richard

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown
And on that note

The full list of smilies/emojis are now back to correct size.

:emoji_umbrella2::emoji_water_buffalo::emoji_tv::emoji_pick::emoji_children_crossing::emoji_biohazard::emoji_airplane:
I never knew there were so many
I must find a use for the food emojis: :emoji_bacon::emoji_bento::emoji_chocolate_bar::emoji_cherries: etc
in other news I discovered that just pulling down the View menu on the Mac and zooming out one increment restores the columns on my page
I don't recall having zoomed in at any point, but clearly an easy fix

Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 4.20.05 pm.png

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Actually... I discovered issues in templates none of you have reported re: Xenforo theme. So I have reverted everything back to the original settings -- except there is a sidebar and it is not collapsible (@Heinz) -- though it's width is more narrow than I had it set yesterday.

I can't remove the sidebar as it's set at the core level below the themes -- and the XF theme does not cater to it being collapsable -- and I need the sidebar for the boost it provides in Above The Fold advertising impressions that are not overly intrusive but get a good earn from the thousands of lurkers and non-subscription members at desktop.

This whole exercise illustrates the difficulty of running multiple themes and catering to everyone's preferences.

@Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger @SnowBound @emkae @Seth @CarveMan

notcody1

First Runs
Jul 29, 2021
Can't login via fb with my original 'not cody' account - please pm this account obv if you can to sort it - cheers

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
wadjamean that 30 bucks a year doesn't us each get an individual theme customised to our exact, and frequently changing, demands?
where's the ombudsman, ACA, ACCC?
Suggest you tip off 4 Corners. Cross fingers for a Royal Commission. Wait 5 years. Get no change but a jolly good read on where we fcukt up and what should be done to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass