1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Nozawa Onsen 2014/15 Thread

Discussion in 'Japan' started by M_G, Jul 18, 2014.

1. grantn

grantn Addicted

A swede in the drink
    makes the management re-think

hotsaki and blowfin like this.
  2. OddaP

OddaP Hard Yards

I think I saw that kicker being built.

Permit me, if you may, to muse.

I was a first timer and had only just got back into the snow after a long long absence. That was always x cross country skiing around the main range, Perisher to Charlottes areas and a memorable ski from Perisher to Guthega before BC. with much anticipation and a twinge of trepidation I thought after a few NZ trips I would visit this place. What a cracker of a spot. Sure around Yamibiko is busy but seek and ye shall find and even a non hucker, Japow smoke chasing newb could crack a smile in side country and between the inbound trees (not in the obvious spots either).

So why was it so long between drinks for me and the snow? I got into the surf, a lot. Was always a way cheaper trip to go up the coast to Seals than for a weekend in Perisher etc. Later I discovered the joys of travelling to surf, Bali, Sumbawa, islands off Sumatra, Nias, PNG and the Maldives and also spent 5 years in the west getting down south as much as I can. These days I can surf whenever I want with few crowds, it's been crap since Sunday so haven't bothered.

What does all this have to do with the discussion. It pains me to say it. It really does. But some of the behaviour and carry on I saw in Nozawa from people was so sadly reminiscent of Euros in a crowded Uluwatu lineup. A lack of knowledge, a lack of awareness, a lack of preparation and of etiquette. For every well prepared skier or group I'd see another group hooting and hollering as they launched off the back of the lifts, groups of snowboarders dropping off Skyline with nothing between them, just launching in. 1 group who lost their mate who weren't even sure if he'd gone over but at least we heard a whistle, just not his.

The problems not the people who know what they're doing. It's those with enough ability, balls or lack of brains who cause the problems. Just like the Euros who can be found flailing out of the lip as you take off deeper with no idea whatsoever that what they are doing is wrong or dangerous.

Hell yeah, I'll be back. Back next year and for longer. And I will learn my trade and craft and educate myself on the risks and dangers. Unfortunately whilst the converted can't be preached to hopefully the odd pass pull might pull a few heads in and not wreck it for the rest who are there to savour the joy.

hotsaki likes this.
  3. oppositelock

oppositelock One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

No not me, my gear is a little less hi-tech. Sony Z3 phone and an egg timer. :thumbs:

4. moist1

moist1 Hard Yards

Sandy .... What car does the Barron drive ??

5. BobGnarly

BobGnarly One of Us

Its deeeep up here today and windy as hell, high danger day.

6. Pat42

Pat42 One of Us

can hear the wind howling through the streets of nozawa

7. BobGnarly

BobGnarly One of Us

Epic day out there,
    farewell @dr80 and Johnny Vino

gibbsy and dr80 like this.
  8. moist1

moist1 Hard Yards

Hey Sandy , I worked out what car the Barron drives ... It's a white Toyota Dump . He back it up the street here in Nozawa last night some time and didn't take off till late this arvo . Top bloke !!! Epic day out there !!!!

9. BobGnarly

BobGnarly One of Us

10. Billy Rogan

Billy Rogan Hard Yards

Hey everyone. It's been a great season so far in Nozawa this year. I have seen groups of Australians break a window of a local family property (during a snowball fight), Guys with boxing Kangaroo flags swearing at full volume down the street so drunk they can barley walk. I've seen groups of Australians Urinating in the streets, also Aussies bashing on shop windows around 1am and swinging on whatever is possible. Drinking beer in Onsens. Tattoos in Onsens. In every restaurant there is at least 50% Australian every night, usually 100% (yes tourism has doubled in the past two years). Yes I can over hear every single sentence, how could I not. Yes wow you have been to Niseko 6 times and now you are coming here because you want to spread your virus to Nozawa, we understand. Oh and then you are going to Myoko after Nozawa, GREAT. I understand why people want to escape Niseko's horridness, but why come here then act the same? Then I come on this website and all I read is people talking of the back bowls, complaining that people go out there? and they are posting this on a Nozawa Onsen thread open to anyone in the world searching about Nozawa Onsen.

Anyway today is looking Epic, mountain opening in 20 minutes I'm on my way. that is my vent for the year. There are some nice australians in town for sure. Just too many and unfortunately people looking to get off the beaten track have blown it.

dawooduck likes this.
  11. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

Thank God there's some 500 other ski resorts in Japan to explore. ;)

12. Billy Rogan

Billy Rogan Hard Yards

Indeed Born2ski, apologies to everyone for the furious vent for my first post. I brought it on myself coming here. Anyone know what happened today with the helicopter etc? I saw it was hovering around certain areas for a while too.

13. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

Last year I went to Nozawa and had the Aussie bogans in our lodge. Woke up with a fright one night at 3am when they nearly came through the wall behind my head. They were drunk, decided play fighting and tackling each other in the hall was a good idea. Don't even know why they came to a ski resort, they never got up in the morning to go skiing/boarding.

14. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

I had my honeymoon in Nozawa 3yrs ago, sensational, never saw a drunk loud anyone in 10 days.

15. expatgm

expatgm Addicted Ski Pass: Silver

Your furious vent and B2S comments are exactly why (hopefully) I'll be hitting the road and doing the car danchi thing next year. I want nothing to do with that scene or people like that.

16. blowfin

blowfin One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

We must have been fortunate not to witness many boganisms a couple of weeks back. The noisiest crew at any eatery was a Japanese group going hog wild over that stick-and-ball fad that all the cool kids are into. And the swedes in our hotel who were up until 2am one night, not a PoW day the next day so no major drama, have your fun kids. I did see a Collingwood beanie one night in town though, may never go back...

17. BobGnarly

BobGnarly One of Us

yes that place is wrecked, dont go there

18. Pat42

Pat42 One of Us

still a great mountain with heaps of snow and a great village, people just need to go in expecting that it is now is the same league for good or bad as hakuba and niseko

heaps of international visitors this year as well, americans, europeans even met some Israelis, all are sure to go home and spread the word further

good for the local business, just hope that the transition is managed well as a more upmarket cultural japanese ski town and not a 2 for 1 jetstar piss up town

Cant understand why anyone in such an awesome village would spend their evenings in the tiny average bars there full of other aussies drinking a thousand beers rather than hitting up the great food an onsens in the area

gibbsy and dawooduck like this.
  19. argento

argento Hard Yards

this was my third straight year in Nozawa. Still love the place like the first time. I wasn't fortunate enough to have come this way as some of the posters here who "discovered" this place 10 (or so) years ago. Sure, in my three years visiting Nozawa I've definitely seen the changes many refer to. The main two (in my opinion) being bookings for some places for dinner and some queues during weekdays for the Yamabiko lifts.
    Have to say that in three years going to the place I have never set foot in either Stay Bar, Foot Bar, or Heaven. And feel quite proud of that! Too many izakayas that are far better...

20. Pat42

Pat42 One of Us

shut down those three places and problem solved in my opinion argento

21. argento

argento Hard Yards

couldn't agree with you more....

22. kiter

kiter One of Us

amen >nozawas hill shot along with myoko .Plenty of other great, no aussie bogan, resorts and heaps of unshredded off piste pow days after snowfall with no ski patrol and cops chasing you. Nozawa is still a lovely village tho the locals are wonderful people despite yobbos.

23. Avon_Barksdale

Avon_Barksdale Hard Yards

Everything billy rogan wrote is correct but I'm not sure it's as offensive to the Japanese as it is embarrassing to us.

I'm in narita now after 2 weeks in nozawa. Spent a bit of time at heaven as I know Tatsumi quite well and never saw anything untoward.

Bogan type behavior or really anything disrespectful pisses me off a lot. I don't like being around that at all. But I asked a Japanese lodge owner what he thought of Aussies getting drunk and causing scenes and he said no problem. The Japanese that come up for a weekend do exactly the same thing.

There was a banking group that came up every year to the lodge I used to stay at and on the Sunday morning there was usually spew in the odd spot that there shouldn't have been.

I don't want to see nozawa ruined but I'm not sure the locals feel that a few Aussies going over the top is ruining their town.

24. BobGnarly

BobGnarly One of Us

There are the bogans and there are the ones waiting to see bogans so they can get on a high horse on the forum.
    Not sure which is worse

Donza, blowfin and dawooduck like this.
  25. Billy Rogan

Billy Rogan Hard Yards

Yeah Bob, I mean, whats worse right? A group of yobbos smashing windows and pissing in the streets of a Japanese village, or someone bringing up this obvious problem in a forum?

If people can promote Nozawa here by talking up the conditions, posting BC photos etc on an Australian forum, I think it's wise to also bring up this problem that isn't going to get any better any time soon. If I read that Nozawa was slowly being over run by Aussies I would think twice about coming, so maybe getting word out there may help just a little (although it seems like it is far too late).

I can't speak on behalf of bar or accommodation owners who profit the most off Aussies, but I do know for a fact the locals who call the shots in Nozawa are not happy with the direction things are going.

While I may seem negative, I am just sad to see Nozawa changing like this.

#675 Billy Rogan, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  26. dr80

dr80 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I'm a bit sad too, but in some ways I'm surprised it took this long. Was inevitable a la Bali, Koh Samui etc.

Was good while it lasted. Heaps of other places to explore now it's all over for the Noz.

Need a crack down on drunk and disorderly, drinking / pissing in streets. Few lock ups, criminal record, no come back to Japan would help.

#676 dr80, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  27. gibbsy

gibbsy Addicted

Yeah it took a while, but its happened. Totally overrun. Time to look beyond maybe. Or not. TBH, the few times i saw drunk embarrassing behaviour this year, it was pretty much the same 4or5 season working knuckleheads. Other seasonal workers were very respectful of the place despite being young crew who loved to party- they pretty much kept it in stay bar. The small minority coulda used deportation though!

28. Pat42

Pat42 One of Us

The bars are tiny with only a couple of dunnies not equipped to deal with 20 hard drinking Aussies who have broken the seal hence all the pissing in the streets

29. ponyrider

ponyrider Addicted

For me comparing 2015 to 2012 I generally agree with the more moderate comments above. Generally busier lifts / pow smashed out quicker / dinner bookings slightly harder. As far as bogans&bars go: Heaven bar is still fine, Stay Bar is just a joke - there was a clueless Aussie tending bar one night - he certainly wasn't qualified to. Crave Bar? Nice sandwiches for lunch if you are looking for that. But as others have said, it's still possible to avoid the bogans and quite frankly there are still lots of Japanese-dominated hotels to stay at.

I was a bit surprised to be sitting in the outdoor onsen (at a grand-ish hotel) and seeing a group of Japanese enter, not wash and stack their beers up in the snow.

blowfin likes this.
  30. skichic

skichic A Local

Yep, I have memories of it being an out of the way, quiet place too. Sad.

31. Pat42

Pat42 One of Us

back home now, what an awesome season it has been!

snow depth at Nozawa

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dawooduck and argento like this.
  32. gibbsy

gibbsy Addicted

Cool! I was wondering how that depth marker was looking!!

33. blowfin

It's not that sad, really, when you consider the well being of the town and it's residents/operators, and that the lifts need to be profitable. Myoko just about felt like a ghost town two years ago when we were there, I'm happy for the town if they are able to draw more visitors, it was sorely needed. There's always going to be people in a ski town (or anywhere for that matter) who dislike change in whatever form it takes. There's always going to be people who want the lineless lift, combined with the untracked pow. Taste it a couple of times and it's hard to go back. People are going to get annoyed when their "spot" gets busier too, you can deal with it by going exploring again, or by taking Nozawa for what it is and being glad that a lot or people are hungover on pow days.

34. Hunter

Hunter Part of the Furniture Endless Winter Ski Pass: Gold

Indisputable this season I am afraid, the bogan scourge has well and truely taken hold. Very sad..................

35. gibbsy

gibbsy Addicted

apparently 4 americans missing. any word on this?

36. Four!

Four! Hard Yards

I was there last year and this year and noticed nussink (Hogans Heroes - must be about 50 to understand). Maybe it's a particular area of Nozawa where the bogans live/hang out? Or maybe I was just home early enough to avoid them as we were eating at about 5.30 to avoid the booking issues ;) and got a seat at every restaurant we walked into -first in best dressed....

dr80 likes this.
  37. Hunter

Hunter Part of the Furniture Endless Winter Ski Pass: Gold

Idiots standing in main street with yukatas and house slippers knecking cans
    Niseko has reached this beautiful village.................
    Much worse this year
    Would be in the resorts best interest to make an obvious stand against this bogan tide asap
    This would ensure a point of difference from Niseko and Hakaba and maintain the unique village atmosphere they have at present.
    Not for long though if they dont push back

38. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Few precious people on this thread..

humble likes this.
  39. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

Its the Australian way .....

40. expatgm

expatgm Addicted Ski Pass: Silver

Well short of a return to the Edo/Tokugawa era the accommodation providers could deny requests from anyone they choose.
    Can't see that happening any time soon.

41. oppositelock

oppositelock One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I must have been staying at a different Nozawa. Was it busier? Yes. Were there longer lift lines at certain lifts? Yes. Was it tracked out earlier than usual? Yes. Not a problem though, if you know were to go. As for bogan behaviour, I didn't see any, none. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I didn't come across it, but I didn't go looking for it. The biggest pissheads I saw were the japanese engineers that insisted I help them finish their flagon of whiskey (glad I didn't tell them it was my birthday).

42. hotsaki

hotsaki One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Perhaps Japan could instigate a ``bogan check`` at the airports.Some sort of test to sort the chaff from the wheat.

43. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Japanese can be bogans too. Just saying

44. gibbsy

gibbsy Addicted

Our bogans could learn a lot from their bogans.

Billy24, M_G, blowfin and 1 other person like this.
  45. blowfin

Futurama can teach us a lot.

#695 blowfin, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  46. moist1

moist1 Hard Yards

Driving back to Tokyo atm
    Chugging down
    We had a wicked time in Nozawa.
    Ticks all the boxes for us , why all the negative comments?
    Holidays equal good times , leave your negative thoughts in Oz.

humble and BobGnarly like this.
  47. BobGnarly

BobGnarly One of Us

Perhaps the same filter that this forum uses when you sign up.

48. moist1

moist1 Hard Yards

Hey Bob , did you get much fresh snow today ?

49. BobGnarly

BobGnarly One of Us

Nah mate. It snowed on and off but the old snow was so wet it just melted the new snow on impact. Full on spring conditions atm.
    There seems to be something brewing over the ridge though so hopefully it kicks in hard tonight.

50. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

Yeah i dont think the japanese care about the bogan shit. i think they care about the money in their pockets. The people i asked about it were happy to be making money. Even though its a bit off putting if thats not what you are after you could probably stand to look much much further afield. I think the issue is that when you go further afield that the english disappears and every one stuggles. Most people need the bogans, the bogans are what push for the english menus and such....
    I can read hiragana and katakana and quite a bit of kanji and i still stuggle, not to mention having lots of japanese accom and bar owners comment positively on my japanese but i still feel absolutely terrible at it. But its still out there. Its everywhere. Just keep searching.