M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myoko.jp
myokoskiresort.com
And we're off and running! :cheers:

Nozawa crew list for 2015/16

Nozawaman: Nozawa resident
Some other people... (to be updated possibly)

Useful links:
2014/15 Thread
Nozawa WikiSki
Nozawa Packages
Nozawa Official Site
Nozawa Google Map
Nozawa Webcams
11 must see things in Nozawa Onsen

Webcam:

live7.jpg

When the ground turns white get excited!

rikedwards

Hard Yards
Sep 6, 2012
Adelaide, SA
A bit of advice in regards to accomodation.

We are looking at either staying at the Schneider Hotel (next to Utopia/Kandahar Pair Lifts) or a chalet called Tamanegi (in the village, closer to the Karasawa area).

For those that have been and know the village, what would you recommend?

oppositelock

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 14, 2012
Gold Coast
A bit of advice in regards to accomodation.

We are looking at either staying at the Schneider Hotel (next to Utopia/Kandahar Pair Lifts) or a chalet called Tamanegi (in the village, closer to the Karasawa area).

For those that have been and know the village, what would you recommend?
Tamanegi. At the Schneider you are stuck there after the Yu road is closed unless you want to hike through the snow (quite a hike).
Tamanegi is a brand new renovation, owner is a really nice Swiss guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: rikedwards

hatto

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2006
Karasawa end is fine to stay. Lift links straight over to gondy or shuttle bus over. easy as, not far and enjoyable walk through village looking for eateries, have to go past crepe shop on the way home:love:

Angus_McCrory

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2005
Lurking
Nozawaman's place is completely booked from 6th Jan through to mid Feb, are you part of the family that has booked the whole place out for the 6 odd weeks?
Had dinner with him just before he headed up to Japan last week and bounced a few dates around. Yes understand the bookings and will try and squeeze two weeks in that general period.

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
Throw me in for my 3rd trip. 22-30 Jan. Will probably leave a couple of days early but that's when I have to head to Tokyo for next morning flight. At least 3 of us for that period and working on a few others.

oppositelock

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 14, 2012
Gold Coast
Karasawa end is fine to stay. Lift links straight over to gondy or shuttle bus over. easy as, not far and enjoyable walk through village looking for eateries, have to go past crepe shop on the way home:love:
It's either the crepe shop or the cake/pastry shop. Damn you Japanese sweets!

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
Tamanegi. At the Schneider you are stuck there after the Yu road is closed unless you want to hike through the snow (quite a hike).
Tamanegi is a brand new renovation, owner is a really nice Swiss guy.
Is that Gab's place?

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
Another vote for Tamanegi then. Close to onsen, not far to Karasawa lifts and a fast walk into town (depending on how cold it is. ;)) Haven't been inside but if the exterior is any indication it will be very nice digs. And as opp said, Gab and Kyoko are lovely people. Will miss not catching up with them next year.

Last edited:

rikedwards

Hard Yards
Sep 6, 2012
Adelaide, SA
Thanks for the advice everyone. Booked into Tamanegi with 7 others from 31st Jan for a week.

As it turns out we would have had to change rooms at the Schneider.

Reactions: PMG

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
Question for the locals/regulars to Noz. Skyline has plenty of terrain off to the sides, why is it OOB ??

BobGnarly

One of Us
Feb 23, 2012
Nagano
Question for the locals/regulars to Noz. Skyline has plenty of terrain off to the sides, why is it OOB ??
It just is, there is some dangerous stuff in there especially when the cover isn't super deep. Holes into the creek are common and it's most definitely avalanche terrain.
Don't go in there without gear and your brain on high alert.

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
Easy to get complacent at Noz with the exploration. Had an interesting creek experience last time I was there, with conditions a little thinner than previous visit and not properly thinking about that factor! Ended as a good learning experience and funny story but had the potential...

Reactions: Kerrie jackson

Kerrie jackson

Hard Yards
Jun 24, 2015
Hey guys I arrive in nozawa on the 18th dec - 26th dec..if anyone's there on those dates ..were staying at Fureai no Yado yasuragi ..can anyone give feedback on this accomodation it's also my first time to nozawa super amped to get there

mcguyver

Hard Yards
Jun 23, 2015
Could anyone please give me some feedback on the Mitsubachi Maya Lodge,
Looking at booking fir mid Feb. seems to get good reviews., but would be interested if you have stayed there.

BobGnarly

One of Us
Feb 23, 2012
Nagano
Hey guys I arrive in nozawa on the 18th dec - 26th dec..if anyone's there on those dates ..were staying at Fureai no Yado yasuragi ..can anyone give feedback on this accomodation it's also my first time to nozawa super amped to get there
I can't comment on the accom but will be riding Noz at that time if you want to be shown around a bit.
It is early season so it pays to be careful of creeks and stuff if exploring.

oppositelock

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 14, 2012
Gold Coast
It was on the way to the gondy station, I think you were trying to beat the shuttle bus arrivals.:)
I think I can manage to keep up in the crepe line.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
That's quite early, and on some years, there's not so much snow down the bottom at that time of year (18th Dec)

hatto

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2006
It was on the way to the gondy station, I think you were trying to beat the shuttle bus arrivals.:)
I think I can manage to keep up in the crepe line.
That was probably my fault holding him up when he came for breakfast. Come to think of it, he was probably late most days!!:(ROFL

Reactions: BobGnarly

Stratus

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 22, 2005
Melbourne
Dropping by Nozawa 23rd to 28th January and looking at a place to stay that is close to Nagasaka or Hikage Gondola. Last year we stayed at Nozawa view which was close to town, but a 5 min walk to the link lift; would rather something closer this time.

A budget price range of 6,000 - 7,500 yen a night per person with a group of 5. Have found Maruken Sanso and Shikinoyado Kawahiro to fit this criteria with availability.

Has anyone stayed at either of these or have recommendations for others that might be suitable?

:cheers:

geeoff

Hard Yards
Sep 22, 2013
Cronulla, NSW
Stayed at Maruken Sanso in 2012. Rooms are standard Japanese with futons. Shared bathroom with a onsen/sento which opens for set time in afternoon. A seperate washroom/ toilet on each floor. Decent breakfast and Owners were helpful and accomodating. We ate out every night but other guests said dinner was very good. Great location in that easy walk to gondola and Main Street.

Reactions: Stratus

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
We are (almost) set on visiting Honshu in Jan 16 for our first skiing trip o/s. This includes 3 children aged 12, 9, and almost 7. After a few days in Tokyo my plan is to spend a week in Nozawa (to fit in some sightseeing/cultural activities as well as skiing) before moving on to Hakuba for another week. A few questions for those forum members who have experienced Nozawa. Firstly, any recommendations regarding accommodation? Ideally with the children something not too far from the lifts would be useful, preferably with an onsen either on-site or nearby. Has anyone stayed at or heard anything about Hotel Haus St Anton, Ryokan Sumiyosiya, Sakaya, or Kiriya Ryokan? Also considering Villa Nozawa. I'm also wondering how easy it is to ski/travel between the various areas of the resort (eg Hikage to Nagasaka to Karasawa, etc)? My skills are low level intermediate, my children can ski a lot better than me (with the exception of the youngest). Finally, how tricky are the red runs in the Yamabiko area? Help very much appreciated, thank you.

hatto

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2006
There is a cat track linking hikage, nagasaka and karasawa which is very gentle and easy although can be hard packed and icy. Reds on Yamabiko are wide with some steeper parts-depends on your skills, Paradise is very good with access via gondola and you can catch it back down if you choose not to ski to bottom. Can't help you on any of the accom but anywhere around nagasaka/Karasawa, main centre of village is easy access. Hikage area in village has steeper roads and is hilly with quite a steep uphill climb to lifts.

Reactions: Lady Penelope

hatto

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2006
Village is at the bottom so all walking is uphill to lift system but main roads run across the hill with short uphill links between

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Village is at the bottom so all walking is uphill to lift system but main roads run across the hill with short uphill links between
If you stay close to the close to the Hikage or Nagasaka gondolas, there doesn't have to be much walking up hill. (or close to the "people mover")

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass