Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Artarmon, Sydney North Shore
The models are lining up for an intense heatwave across South Eastern Australia to end Spring and kick off Summer, as a very hot air mass moves across.

The dates of the event vary by place. It has already started in SA, Vic and inland NSW, with Griffith in the Riverina going for 41° today. It looks set to linger further North in Queensland.

The hot air mass reaches the NSW coast tomorrow 28th, with 850 temps over Sydney peaking as high as 24° on the 28th and 29th and again on the 1st. A cool change moves through during the afternoon of Sunday 28th, with the 30th being much cooler. The heat returns on Tuesday 1st, to be blown away by a more significant change. Next Friday 4th looks quite cool.

Skies will be fairly clear on the hot days. The forecast mentions the possibility of thunderstorms but there does not seem to be much in the way of rain or storms associated with either cool change. We do seem to move to a wetter, unsettled pattern after this event. Time will tell.

Forecast for selected centres for Nov 27 to Dec 4:

Canberra: 30, 33, 28, 26, 35, 26, 22
Nowra: 27, 38, 34, 24, 33, 23, 20
Penrith: 32, 41, 40, 27, 40, 29, 21
Maitland: 29, 39, 44, 25, 38, 29, 21

Temperatures nearer the coast will be moderated by sea breezes, although on Sunday 29th the hot winds reach the coast, for example:

Sydney OH: 26, 33, 39, 24, 30, 25, 21

Adaminaby Angler

One of Us
Ski Pass
This will likely be a stronger heatwave than anything summer 2021 will be able to throw at us (due to La Nina and steadily increasing +AAO from here on), so defo a good idea to start its own thread.

Latest Riverina forecasts:

Peaking at 20° / 30° C here.

FGbXWGc.jpg

27° / 45° C at Hay.

DCBWtOb.jpg

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
This will likely be a stronger heatwave than anything summer 2021 will be able to throw at us (due to La Nina and steadily increasing +AAO from here on)…
I agree that it’s quite likely that the coming few days will see the hottest weather of the season, especially near the coast. In past years we’ve seen Spring and early Summer heat come off the boil for a milder and wetter Summer, e.g. 1968/69, 1988/89.

P.S. The “Fires Near Me” app just sent a “Harvest Safety Alert” for local Government areas in the Riverina owing to “deteriorating weather conditions”.

P.P.S. Today followed the recent pattern of cloudy morning and sunny afternoon. It’s now clear and humid with light winds, 29-30° in Sydney’s outer West, 25° near the coast.

ShavedBadger

A Right Tit.
Ski Pass
Apr 30, 2018
Interestingly AXS-C puts the majority of the basin beyond 42 degrees for tomorrow.
While EC has a stronger sea breeze pushing further inland...

Will be the battle of the onshore. Thats for sure.
We've got a street Christmas party happening a few doors up tomorrow afternoon. Here's hoping the sea breeze makes it at least 5km inland :)

AshestoAshes

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Voyager Point NSW
Looks tonight will be moderately comfortable with a low of 18 here tonight, although from the point of sunrise tomorrow till the Southerly is really going to take its toll on us. I think us east of the divide have to be appreciative that nights like tomorrow don't come too often rather a nice little inversion wins out.

8PM tomorrow is looking absolutely crazy on Meteye.
Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 9.07.34 pm.png

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Bellambi is the hotspot for our part of the world at the moment, already on 29° under a light Westerly. That’s a big bonus addition to yesterday’s max of about 23°.

Here it’s sunny with light breezes and a bit of high cloud and about 22°. The Harbour Bridge flags are showing a light NW-er. The cicadas have been going since about 6:30.

I do like hot days, within reason. I will get to “enjoy” this weekend even more given that my car air conditioning has broken down and the repairer is waiting for parts. Definitely a First World problem.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Battle of the westerly vs sea breeze in Wollongong at mo.

Westerly is moderate strength and warm....

No nor easter to speak of.

piolet

Better make it three
Ski Pass
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust
We are running the geothermal heating in reverse for the 1st time ever for us. We had house minders who ran it last summer. The dog is hiding under my desk on a cold patch of floor. She is nice and cool. Tempted to follow her example wrt finding a cold patch of floor not the hiding under the desk.
Ya dog not pleased. Thinking of clipping him.

Reactions: Jasper Schwarz

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Went for a horse ride at 6:00 am before things turned to desert winds. Temp only 30 Degrees but the wind will dry a doona in 5 mins.

Browning off faster than Marino Rocks in October.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Ya dog not pleased. Thinking of clipping him.
The floor is cool enough to get condensation. We have a hydronic, geothermal system and run it to cool the house in summer.

She will just shed her undercoat. She is not panting at all, has free access to water etc. She has dementia. I did think about clipping her but think the trauma it would cause her would not be worth the benefit.

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
It’s 41.5 here in Sydney east. They predicted 32... The fire alarm in the apartment building went off a few times already!

Reactions: Sir Surfalot

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
Sydney sounds horrible today. A somewhat cooler 34 degrees here in Canberra. Overcast, possible storm this afternoon (as I head out to an outdoor Christmas function).

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Sounds awesome.
If I ever built a new home I'd love to do this.
Did you install?
It is pretty good. And if you had solar panels it would reduce the cost further.

The house had hydronic heating (pipes in the slab) when we bought it. They had a boiler - would have been tearing up $bills to run it. We dug up the back yard, laid pipes 5' down, put in a heat exchanger and connected to the existing system. We paid someone to do it but would do it ourselves if we did it again. DH actually wants the opportunity to play with a system. And if we were not knowledgeable the whole system would have failed as there was an installation error we fixed.

This is effectively passive solar as at 5' there is a 5 month delay in the annual heatwave from summer. The proper geothermal, where they put down a bore, begin to cool after about 10 years. There is lots of info out there on instals in USA.

The guy who operated the digger has a similar system but just solar hot water with some sort of water heater as a back up. He said the heating cuts in at about 1am.

We only run it on off peak electricity. So after 10pm and weekends. Our electricity bill is not that big considering it includes all our heating. We have 5 metre sloping to 2.7 metre ceilings so a fair volume to keep warm.

ShavedBadger

A Right Tit.
Ski Pass
Apr 30, 2018
My apartment is cool inside but that will change overnight if the tems stay high. Blinds closed, fans on. Super overcrowded beaches not that great an option.

My old cavity-brick house copes fairly well on days like these, but like you I’ve got the blinds closed and fans spinning. Don’t have aircon yet but I’m hoping to change that soon. It’s oppressive outside so I’m camped out in my loungeroom where it hasn’t gone above about 26 degrees all day.

Outside the wind is hot and dry, and has to be up around 37-38 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass