Heatwave NSW/ACT - Intense Heatwave - Nov 27 to Dec 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
My old cavity-brick house copes fairly well on days like these, but like you I’ve got the blinds closed and fans spinning. Don’t have aircon yet but I’m hoping to change that soon. It’s oppressive outside so I’m camped out in my loungeroom where it hasn’t gone above about 26 degrees all day.

Outside the wind is hot and dry, and has to be up around 37-38 degrees.
I grew up in a house that was cavity brick but with a bigger cavity than normal. My parents insulated the ceiling. Our house was 10 degrees cooler than neighbours places in summer and warmer in winter. Add in verandahs and it is such a good option for our climate.

Reactions: ShavedBadger

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Oh just wondering if there are going to be any power overloads due to everyone running their aircons. There will be lots of hot substations out there at the moment.

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
My old cavity-brick house copes fairly well on days like these, but like you I’ve got the blinds closed and fans spinning. Don’t have aircon yet but I’m hoping to change that soon. It’s oppressive outside so I’m camped out in my loungeroom where it hasn’t gone above about 26 degrees all day.

Outside the wind is hot and dry, and has to be up around 37-38 degrees.

My cavity brick house (a rental) normally stays cool-ish until about 12-1 pm, then starts to heat up. My indoor/outdoor thermometer is in my study, the smallest room in the house. With the computer on all day, it tends to heat up a little more than the rest of the house. It's currently reading 28.9 inside, 40.2 outside. I have a pedestal fan on me and it is keeping me comfortable - just.
I normally put the air-con on about 5 pm for about 3 hrs when the house has reached it's maximum temp.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
My cavity brick house (a rental) normally stays cool-ish until about 12-1 pm, then starts to heat up. My indoor/outdoor thermometer is in my study, the smallest room in the house. With the computer on all day, it tends to heat up a little more than the rest of the house. It's currently reading 28.9 inside, 40.2 outside. I have a pedestal fan on me and it is keeping me comfortable - just.
I normally put the air-con on about 5 pm for about 3 hrs when the house has reached it's maximum temp.
If that is because of sun on an external wall at12 - 1pm or a little earlier you could improve that with some shade cloth.

Reactions: piolet

Adaminaby Angler

One of Us
Ski Pass
22.7° / 31.9° C thus far here, due to the recent second peak. 22.2° / 31.6° C @ Hunters Hill, which reached its max much earlier (11:50 AM); however, an afternoon storm dropped the temp to just 18.0° C around 1:50 PM @ HH, but now 27.3° C (but I was too far north for that rainband, so retained my morning min). Swingy weather today!

Hay broke its record max for Nov with 26.5° / 45.5° C; previous record 44.9° C (records starting 1957). No records broken for HH, however.

Reactions: piolet and Steve777

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Artarmon, Sydney North Shore
Urban Heat Island peaking very hard today, 3pm Access-C...
Interesting map. You can see the tongue of “cool” air filling the lower part of the Harbour.

Is that forecast or actual? I suspect the former as Sydney Harbour is sitting just under 40°.

——

It looks like the Airport just missed a new record, although there’s still time. Sydney OH seems to have peaked at 40.8°, about a degree below its record, while Bankstown peaked at 41.9, a bit over a degree below its.

AshestoAshes

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Voyager Point NSW
Unpopular opinion possibly
Interesting map. You can see the tongue of “cool” air filling the lower part of the Harbour.

Is that forecast or actual? I suspect the former as Sydney Harbour is sitting just under 40°.

——

It looks like the Airport just missed a new record, although there’s still time. Sydney OH seems to have peaked at 40.8°, about a degree below its record, while Bankstown peaked at 41.9, a bit over a degree below its.

This was a forecast by Access-C the 18Z run that i grabbed from WZ twitter.

Also ACT and southern tablelands peeps stay safe, thunderstorm asthma alert is out. I'm not sure if we see them this often North.
https://www.health.act.gov.au/publi...hunderstorm-asthma-event-saturday-28-november

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
If that is because of sun on an external wall at12 - 1pm or a little earlier you could improve that with some shade cloth.

Not my house (I rent it) but it was built in the 80's so very few environmental considerations back then.
My study actually has a pergola outside of it so there is no direct sunlight on the window or external brick wall during summer.
The house heats up after about that time due to it being a very poor environmental build from back then. There weren't any BASIX controls back in the 80's. People shoved a bit of insulation in the ceilings. That was about it.

rocketboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 9, 2010
Gerroa
The forecast was for tmw to be hotter than today. Is that still the thinking or are there indications today was the peak.

It's rare for the Nor east to lose out on a day like today. Usually we sit here on the coast 10-15C lower for most of the day until the NE drops off about 7 and the heat bubble creeps to the actual coast sending the temps soaring.

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
The forecast was for tmw to be hotter than today. Is that still the thinking or are there indications today was the peak.

It's rare for the Nor east to lose out on a day like today. Usually we sit here on the coast 10-15C lower for most of the day until the NE drops off about 7 and the heat bubble creeps to the actual coast sending the temps soaring.

Forecast temps for tomorrow in the Sydney Basin are similar to today's.
It's quite rare for the Sydney Harbour AWS to stay so hot all day without some sort of influence from the NE'er.

Reactions: Steve777

Billy Bob

Addicted
Nov 23, 2020
Bungendore
I am lucky here as my place doesn't receive a lot of direct sun if managed well. I basically live upstairs in winter and downstairs in summer. I haven't needed A/C yet as Bungendore gets some of the coolest nights in the state, behind only Cooma and parts of the NTs. I'm also fortunate to get the easterly well; thankfully it's not laden with smoke this year (yet).

Of course it's now filthily humid after that storm being such a hot airmass- so haven't bothered to open up despite the cooler air temps. Tonight will be a toughie with >20C, but nothing compared to what parts of the coast will cop. Thankfully normal service will be resumed after that with lows in the low double digits. Tuesday will be one to watch for high diurnal ranges down this way; Monday's cooler easterly air will quickly give way to hot inland air. Indicative forecast is about 12-35; that sort of range is similar to places just inland from the California coast.

Per this WZ article, only the Jan 1960 heatwave featured back-to-back 40C days at Observatory Hill. A record that was going to be equalled or broken sooner or later, but significant nonetheless:

https://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/sydney-temperatures-to-smash-records/532968

I think they mean 60 years rather than 80.

(BTW: I run the 'Palerang Weather' page on Facebook if anyone is interested in weather down here).

Trail Blazer

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2000
Jimi on Weatherzone. Pymble, Sydney
Today was the fifth time it’s reached 40°C at Sydney OH in 161 years and the third hottest November maximum on record.
It didn’t happen from 1859 until after WW2.
Then it reached 40.3° in 1946,
41.8° in 1982 (current record),
40.4° in 2009,
40.9° in 2015
40.8° today.

* in November.

It’s also just reached 40.1C at the Harbour. Biggest sea breeze magnet ever - that would be very very rare

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Not my house (I rent it) but it was built in the 80's so very few environmental considerations back then.
My study actually has a pergola outside of it so there is no direct sunlight on the window or external brick wall during summer.
The house heats up after about that time due to it being a very poor environmental build from back then. There weren't any BASIX controls back in the 80's. People shoved a bit of insulation in the ceilings. That was about it.
The pergola would help. I was just suggesting a very cheap, easy, removable option that would improve your quality of life. We are about to hang shadecloth in a few places that will have a big impact in the summer heating of our house. We have floor to ceiling windows with curtains and you can feel the heat from the sun on the curtains as you walk past them. And it also radiates from the pavers outside the windows. Winter, we want all that energy inside.

Reactions: Homer

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
The pergola would help. I was just suggesting a very cheap, easy, removable option that would improve your quality of life. We are about to hang shadecloth in a few places that will have a big impact in the summer heating of our house. We have floor to ceiling windows with curtains and you can feel the heat from the sun on the curtains as you walk past them. And it also radiates from the pavers outside the windows. Winter, we want all that energy inside.

As I said, it's a rental so I won't be spending money on the outside and I doubt the landlord would either.
I manage ok actually with the heat - well the dryer heat anyway, like today. I also manage better on weekends when I am at home and not working outside in it!! :)

Anyway, the indoor thermometer has reached 30, so it's time for the air-con to go on for a few hours, particularly now it's time to start cooking dinner - a spicey sweet and sour pork which will heat both myself and the kitchen up!!
Currently still 39.8 deg's outside here.

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Given the result today I think tomorrow will get an extra shot.
41 tomorrow IMO but won’t feel it with that nor Westerly IMO.

EDIT: BoM going for 40°C tomorrow, on the PM update.

connells

One of Us
Not sure why but I felt fine today. Spent the afternoon on a ladder cleaning out the roof gutters.
It was only when I went back inside to shower off and crack open my first beer that I really felt the 41 degrees registered on my Davis PWS.
I thought the dry wind evaporating the sweat might have helped but the dew point is mid teens so not *really* a dry heat either.

How good is that first beer after a hot afternoon toiling in the sun?

coolair

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2007
NSW
I love stinking hot weather, I am an air conditioning guy and can make a motza.
Tip for running your AC during this hot weather, TURN IT ON before the house gets hot, DONT wait for the
Place to heat up, set it around 23 and you will have half a chance to keep your place cool and leave it on, its worth the
$5-6 in power a day to be comfortable, that is why you have it.
Close blinds and curtians, clean your filters its not hard.
Turning the system to 16 will not make it work any better.
Make sure the outdoor unit has clear air space around it, not coverd in plant, dog hair, dirt, boxes, clothes, ect......

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
BOM reporting 47.2C at Badgerys Creek. Does that seem right? Much hotter than the surrounding region

It's wrong. It has been discussed ad nauseum already.
The AWS site is clearly over reading.
My guess is that the Stevenson Screen is sitting on the ground after collapsing from lack of maintenance. :)
Or, it has something to do with the construction of Western Sydney Airport.

AshestoAshes

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Voyager Point NSW
Not sure why but I felt fine today. Spent the afternoon on a ladder cleaning out the roof gutters.
It was only when I went back inside to shower off and crack open my first beer that I really felt the 41 degrees registered on my Davis PWS.
I thought the dry wind evaporating the sweat might have helped but the dew point is mid teens so not *really* a dry heat either.

How good is that first beer after a hot afternoon toiling in the sun?

I think with the haze over the west which blocks the sun somewhat and the 'dry wind' has been helping. I felt that last Friday was worse in terms of toll, sun on full tilt with a late seabreeze to amp up humidity.

Reactions: Sideny

warrie

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Some minimum temperature records could be at risk tonight. Sydney OH would be a prime candidate, at a relatively chilly 24.8°. Ditto the Airport, 25.3°. Both are cooler than their October record minima.

At 9:00 Sydney and the Airport were on 27.1° and 29.3°, which would be the upper limit of “tonight’s” minima.

Perfect Storm

One of Us
Jul 5, 2019
Carramar, South West Sydney.
Went to Congwong beach (La Perouse) just down the road from the airport.

Not often that you see the heat out over the bay in the distance over the water racing out to sea. What a sight! Testament to how hot it was.

Even with a tent it was too hot and we stayed 3 hours but just everything was burning (sand, sweating in the shade, phone was very hot, water in bottles were very hot). Water was fantastic, though. Being in the water and having the wind up against your skin felt like a hair dryer.

Wouldn't mind a few sea breeze free days for days at the beach but would definitely like it to be much cooler..

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Went to Congwong beach (La Perouse) just down the road from the airport.

Not often that you see the heat out over the bay in the distance over the water racing out to sea. What a sight! Testament to how hot it was.

Even with a tent it was too hot and we stayed 3 hours but just everything was burning (sand, sweating in the shade, phone was very hot, water in bottles were very hot). Water was fantastic, though. Being in the water and having the wind up against your skin felt like a hair dryer.

Wouldn't mind a few sea breeze free days for days at the beach but would definitely like it to be much cooler..
19ºC for much of the Sydney beaches. Inside Botany I'd be guessing 20/21ºC.

Reactions: Perfect Storm

AshestoAshes

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Voyager Point NSW

AshestoAshes

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Voyager Point NSW
Some minimum temperature records could be at risk tonight. Sydney OH would be a prime candidate, at a relatively chilly 24.8°. Ditto the Airport, 25.3°. Both are cooler than their October record minima.

At 9:00 Sydney and the Airport were on 27.1° and 29.3°, which would be the upper limit of “tonight’s” minima.

Glad to be living in a Goldilocks zone for minimum temps, although 5am should be the lowest temps go before 9am reset. A view of Sydney Metro and surrounding areas. Don't know if those temps will be picked up by an AWS.
Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 7.02.22 pm.png

Statewise some record breakers look quite likely, like Wagga's 27.6 degrees.
Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 7.02.57 pm.png

Reactions: warrie

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
39.3ºC @ 7pm AEDST.
Sounds 20th Nov 2015, IIRC (maxed 40ºC at 7pm)
18-20 November: A heatwave produced very warm temperatures across the State, particularly on the coast, with early season records broken in Sydney. This, and a subsequent heatwave over 25-26 November, contributed to several bushfires across the state.

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Well my car air conditioning’s broken. After leaving the supermarket car park, I had to leave the windows open when driving home to let the cooler (40°) air through.

—-

There’s a weak Southerly on the South Coast (from about Point Perpendicular). Probably the sort that quickly blows itself out. There’s also a bit of a sea breeze is trying to get going in Sydney and coastal sites further North.

I can recall in days past going to the beach on days like today and seeing that there was a sea breeze that penetrated about 100 metres inland.

Reactions: piolet and Homer

PeterM

Hard Yards
Aug 7, 2017
Sydney
Tip for running your AC during this hot weather, TURN IT ON before the house gets hot, DONT wait for the
Place to heat up, set it around 23 and you will have half a chance to keep your place cool and leave it on, its worth the
$5-6 in power a day to be comfortable, that is why you have it.
Wise words, even cheaper if you have solar

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
Holsworthy at 34.2 still the warmest in the metro at 8.30 pm.
Other sites have cooled down more than I thought they would. Still very warm though and mostly above 30.
Everywhere above 30 besides Campbelltown, Penrith, Sydney Harbour and OH.
3 of the 4 are only just under.
SH AWS is an outlier as it usually is.

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
31.3 here in the east, but still feels quite awful, and humid. No relief at all. No wind, everything is still.

teleroo

<\unencrypted>
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
Sneaky southerly building up from Kiama. I don't recall this in the forecast, southerly on the cards for 2 pm Sunday. Not today.
Edit:9:30 pm @ Port Kembla, gusting 44 km/h S
upload_2020-11-28_21-26-8.png

Reactions: piolet and Donza

teleroo

<\unencrypted>
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
Bit of a treat for us on the coast, a good nights sleep ahead. Wouldn't say it has much oomph though, not likely to head far inland.

Reactions: Donza

Gleno71

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Gold Coast, Queensland
Today was the fifth time it’s reached 40°C at Sydney OH in NOVEMBER in 161 years of record and the third hottest November maximum on record.
It didn’t happen from 1859 until after WW2.
Then it reached 40.3° in 1946,
41.8° in 1982 (current record),
40.4° in 2009,
40.9° in 2015
40.8° today.

(Edit - in November).

When was the last time OH had two consecutive days of 40c ? Very rare occurence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using