Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Artarmon, Sydney North Shore
The cicadas are going. I don’t recall that happening this late. It’s still as high as 33° away from the sea breeze. OH is back above 30° after dropping to 27.4°.

There have been some pretty lightning-active storms on the Western slope and plains and Riverina. Most falls were modest but Condoblin has picked up 15 mm since 9:00.

Reactions: POW Hungry

Trail Blazer

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2000
Jimi on Weatherzone. Pymble, Sydney
When was the last time OH had two consecutive days of 40c ? Very rare occurence

1960, the only other time. Very rare to see the sea breeze pushed out on the second to last day like today.

There would be many multi-day stretches in inland suburbs though. E.g. the quickest look at Penrith last summer shows consecutive 41.2C, 46.4C, 41.0C from 31/1 to 2/2. Oddly there wasn’t a 40+ adjacent to the 48.9C in Jan.

Obs Hill has ticked up from 27C to 30C in the last little while.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
35 degrees is OK.
Pizza oven in full blast...
fcuk me.
I feel like a science experiment.
Lucky we have a pool.

Just had a light shower in Wollongong.
Was glorious

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
Just to make all you Sydney people feel better, it’s a balmy and humid 22 degrees in Canberra right now after a brief but heavy afternoon storm followed by sporadic rainfall. Very muggy inside; complaining 14yo wandering around unable to sleep.
Got any Raspberry Icy Poles! :)

Reactions: Lady Penelope

Long Road Home

Addicted
Aug 7, 2020
Wow hard to believe this may only be the 2nd time ever of consecutive 40+ days, surely there have been 1-2 in recent years? Or maybe I'm confusing obs hill with the west.

Anyway a fair blob of rain about to roll in off the ranges, forecast still 'Mostly clear'.

piolet

Better make it three
Ski Pass
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust
Southerly at syd airport....

Screenshot_20201128-231502.png

Reactions: Steve777

AshestoAshes

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Voyager Point NSW
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

DaveyDavey

Early Days
Nov 28, 2020
The latest synoptic charts show a trough moving up the coast, hence producing the southerlies.

I expected Greater Sydney to bake tonight in the high 20s low 30s with no relief, which so far is except the coast south of the harbour - the airport has fallen below 24.

Reactions: Perfect Storm

DaveyDavey

Early Days
Nov 28, 2020
Last two days to have consecutive 40s is 26-27th Jan 1960, although that only tells a bit of the story of late Jan 1960 with 4 days of 39+ on the 25-28th. Ridiculous run for November though. Imagine catching a Red Rattler back then (not fun)
https://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/sydney-temperatures-to-smash-records/532968

Sydney only retired the last of the non-air conditioned SS ("Sweat Seats") train sets in the last year or so, now all trains have AC, some feeling icy cold in times like this.

I have been searching for more online material on the 4 day city heatwave in Jan 1960 - I may have to peruse hard copies at the state library. There was another time in late Jan and early Feb I think when OH recorded 40+ on close non-consecutive days (ie on days 1 and 3).

AshestoAshes

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Voyager Point NSW
Sydney only retired the last of the non-air conditioned SS ("Sweat Seats") train sets in the last year or so, now all trains have AC, some feeling icy cold in times like this.

I have been searching for more online material on the 4 day city heatwave in Jan 1960 - I may have to peruse hard copies at the state library. There was another time in late Jan and early Feb I think when OH recorded 40+ on close non-consecutive days (ie on days 1 and 3).

Just had a quick look on SMH sounds absolutely brutal in Pre-AC days, I think it's interesting that they have a whole devoted section to the 'human impact' of the heatwave.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...heatwave-comes-to-an-end-20200121-p53tdv.html
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...heatwave-comes-to-an-end-20200121-p53tdv.html
Kinda sad to see the S-sets go though, they were so iconic never failed us, despite the obvious negatives. You could pop the inter carriage doors open if it got too hot :).

teleroo

leaf blower aficionado
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
Well that weak southerly breeze along the coast was fun while it lasted. NW'ly back in force to the coast, Bellambi has gone from 23C up to 28C since about midnight. Power out at my place too (Otford). Cicadas on.

Reactions: POW Hungry

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Sydney OH has a new record November minimum of 25.3°, barring an unlikely sea breeze or Southerly in the next couple of hours. It was an unexpected Southerly around midnight that allowed it to get so “cold”, with the temperature mostly staying above 27° overnight. It rebounded to 29° by 3:00 AM and has been hovering around 29-30° since. It’s now hot and cloudy with cicadas.

Bankstown looks interesting. Last night’s sea breeze then Southerly didn’t reach there. It seems to have smashed its all-time minimum record of 26.0° (52 years of record) with the temperature apparently not dropping below 28° since 9:00 yesterday. It’s old November record was a relatively chilly 22.6°.

Jasper Schwarz

Young but not afraid
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2017
Northern Beaches, Sydney,
Last night was the craziest night doing deliveries I have ever had.
It was so busy we were backlogged for hours. It was disgustingly hot, no aircon no fans. Double 265 degree oven. The store got to 36 degrees inside and outside wasn’t much better. Just utterly disgusting.

Us delivery drivers copped it hard. I got lucky enough to get my car for the latter half of the night but it was insane.

please please, if you order take out tonight or today give your drivers a few extra bucks. We aren’t getting paid any extra and are working the same pace as a normal night. Cheers

warrie

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
Glad to be living in a Goldilocks zone for minimum temps, although 5am should be the lowest temps go before 9am reset. A view of Sydney Metro and surrounding areas. Don't know if those temps will be picked up by an AWS.
Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 7.02.22 pm.png

Statewise some record breakers look quite likely, like Wagga's 27.6 degrees.
Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 7.02.57 pm.png
Plenty of yellow boxes on min temps this morning - for record highs in metro area. At least the humidity wasn't too bad compared to some heatwaves.

Reactions: AshestoAshes

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
Wind has become quite violent here in the past half an hour or so.
High cloud still keeping a bit of a lid on temps.
I noticed a 98 km/h gust at Gabo Island as the change passed through there at 9.11 am.
Storms building across the south west of the state and moving quickly eastwards.

derider

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2020
Wollongong
A tad windy in Windabyne but nice temps and looks to be a little more rain about.

Fck Sydney summers, a truly lovely climate between April and October but the summer .... nope

Increasingly an urban heat island charged by desert winds

Come on, Sydney summers aren't that bad. It's the coolest mainland capital by some way (at least on the coast). 40 degree days are still very rare. It's also rare that there's not a breath of sea breeze for 2 days. Normally, the climate is actually pretty mild.

I'm only talking about the coast BTW. Places like Penrith and even Parramatta might as well be another country.

warrie

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
32ºC at 8:30am @ Sydney Airport.
Just wait till that upper-level cloud clears, around midday.
Cracked 34 by now but the wind is up big time across the metro. Fire danger ratings rising. Blue sky to west for last 2 hours but not advancing.

Reactions: Homer

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Was also about to comment re the wind. We are on the central coast this weekend. Very lucky there aren’t fires. The NWly is ripping through now. 35C already.

I see bellambi had a 96km/h gust last night.
2.50am for that gust.
At 30 degrees.
That doesn't happen often...

Reactions: Trail Blazer

derider

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2020
Wollongong
Was there not a period of steady light rain in Wollongong last night? Surely I didn't imagine it, yet BOM is showing 0.0mm for the entire day. So what gives? Why wasn't the 1-2mm recorded? I just don't believe that it rained in Corrimal but not Bellambi (the next suburb over where the weather station is). Seems unlikely.

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Come on, Sydney summers aren't that bad. It's the coolest mainland capital by some way (at least on the coast). 40 degree days are still very rare. It's also rare that there's not a breath of sea breeze for 2 days. Normally, the climate is actually pretty mild.

I'm only talking about the coast BTW. Places like Penrith and even Parramatta might as well be another country.

10kms from the coast and that concrete and tarmac heats up something chronic. The Inland basin development slowly looses it's green belt cooling affect. Aeropolis and Winton area goes from green to black roofs and pocket parks.

Just leave town in summer

Reactions: sara777 and warrie

piolet

Better make it three
Ski Pass
May 27, 2004
My beloved avo got a new shoot scorched yesterday and a few leaves cooked. Looking fine otherwise. Will be nurtured today!

Sydney summers are great if you can be near water or have a pool etc.

Was hot at the beach by the time we left nippers and it wasnt just tony abbot in his sluggos.

20201129_101335.jpg
20201129_101342.jpg

Reactions: Seabreezes

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Windy with filtered sunshine and 34-36° across Sydney. The high cloud has been back-building over Sydney but gradually thinning out. I think we’ll be under near full sunshine soon.

The change has just reached Green Cape so it’s a long way off yet - about 3:00 PM for Sydney at the earliest. Given that it will arrive when it’s hottest, maybe it will be a traditional full-scale Southerly Buster.

Reactions: dawooduck

piolet

Better make it three
Ski Pass
May 27, 2004
Windy with filtered sunshine and 34-36° across Sydney. The high cloud has been back-building over Sydney but gradually thinning out. I think we’ll be under near full sunshine soon.

The change has just reached Green Cape so it’s a long way off yet - about 3:00 PM for Sydney at the earliest. Given that it will arrive when it’s hottest, maybe it will be a traditional full-scale Southerly Buster.
Damn thats too early for my kids pool party. Hoping for after 5

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
evere Weather Warning
for DAMAGING WINDS
For people in Illawarra, Snowy Mountains and parts of Hunter, South Coast, Central Tablelands, Southern Tablelands and Australian Capital Territory Forecast Districts.

Issued at 10:10 am Sunday, 29 November 2020.

VIGOROUS WINDS OVER EASTERN NSW TODAY

upload_2020-11-29_10-35-40.png

A low pressure trough is crossing central and eastern New South Wales today, accompanied by vigorous northwesterly winds are expected to develop ahead of this system.

For Alpine areas above 1900 metres: DAMAGING WINDS averaging 70 to 90 km/h, with gusts in excess of 120 km/h, are possible this morning and early afternoon.

For areas below 1900 metres: DAMAGING WINDS averaging 60 to 70 km/h, with gusts in excess of 90 km/h, are expected this morning and afternoon. Winds are forecast to ease during the evening.

Locations which may be affected include Katoomba, Lithgow, Bowral, Nowra, Ulladulla, Goulburn, Perisher Valley, Charlotte Pass, Thredbo, Cabramurra, Cooma, Bombala, Newcastle and Maitland.

Wind gusts recorded today:

Braidwood 93 km/h

Goulburn 89 km/h

Cooma 87 km/h

Nerriga 107 km/h

Bombala 95 km/h

Thredbo 107 km/h

Reactions: Trail Blazer

ShavedBadger

A Right Tit.
Ski Pass
Apr 30, 2018

If it’s 3pm in Sydney what does that mean for Newcastle? Around 5?

Sure hope the builders working on my house did a good job securing the black plastic sheeting on my roof!

Reactions: piolet

Trail Blazer

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2000
Jimi on Weatherzone. Pymble, Sydney
Reactions: DaveyDavey

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
Well I survived a trip to Taronga ZOO with @Ozgirl (a morning special to support wildlife lost/survived during bushfires & beyond). It wasn’t actually that bad - the wind and overcast kept us coolish. Really windy on the way back (ferry). Feels a bit better than yesterday.

And I live by the water but still.. Sydney summers are. not. great.

DaveyDavey

Early Days
Nov 28, 2020
Spending the weekend on the mid North Coast.

Yesterday was sunny with high cloud at times, moderate sea breeze about 28C. It is now cloudy with some sunny breaks, about 30C. The W/NW winds have not arrived. About 39-40C expected.

All in all much more pleasant than areas down south ... for now.

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Regarding the change, the Sydney forecast says “mid to late afternoon”. With the change passing through Green Cape at about 10:00, I’d regard 3:00 PM as the earliest possible arrival. The fact that it has not yet reached Merimbula would suggest a later arrival.

These changes tend to speed up once they pass Jervis Bay. My guess now would be about 5:00 PM for Sydney, maybe 7:00 PM for Newcastle.

Now 37-39° across Sydney, very windy and sunshine filtered by thin high cloud.

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
Now back in the eastern suburbs & it’s much worse than in the city. Used to be other way around!

Billy Bob

One of Us
Nov 23, 2020
Bungendore
Living on the coast, at least in NSW, is only worth it if you're right on the beach. But that still doesn't give you a free pass in terms of humidity of course. A little different in VIC/SA and SW WA, where the cooler ocean temps mitigate humidity and result in cooler nights and mornings for those a little inland. Bungendore isn't too bad in summer with an average temp between 20-21 in January, similar to suburban Melbourne. For me it's a tradeoff between living close to a major centre and a cooler highland climate. It's also a lot cooler than Melbourne for the majority of the year.

Move to Tassie, SW Victoria, or the Macedon Ranges if you're not a fan of summer heat, or better yet the South Island of NZ. They are the only places left. I still have ties around Sydney and Canberra so that's why I'm not there yet. Perhaps one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass