Ski Pass

SnowBound

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2007
Northern Beaches, Sydney
Ladies and gentlemen

Heat done

I’ve had enough luck for one day ( yes that’s my car and yes I slammed on the breaks as it feel in front of me)

C1B0787C-8A46-4A64-9474-51B712D4C0FE.jpeg
Where's that mate? Glad you're okay.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Decided to hold off going to the pool to after 4pm to avoid the sun. Went out side and the cooler change had already come through. 34 felt pretty good but wasn't what I wanted for swimming. Lovey barmy evening here to ight in the mid 20s. Calm and a ripper sunset.

DaveyDavey

Early Days
Nov 28, 2020
Was the 47.2 temp at Badgerys Creek on Saturday the highest temp in the Basin or the State? BOM said on twitter that it may be a "web issue" however I note that it has been recorded on the daily weather observations page.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Artarmon, Sydney North Shore
Was the 47.2 temp at Badgerys Creek on Saturday the highest temp in the Basin or the State? BOM said on twitter that it may be a "web issue" however I note that it has been recorded on the daily weather observations page.
The Badgerys Creek AWS has been playing up for weeks. It will be recording temps similar to those at nearby stations and then suddenly spike by several degrees. I don't think that we can rely of readings there for now, especially since Penrith, Richmond, Camden and Campbelltown did not reach 42 degrees over the weekend.

piolet

Better make it three
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust
The Badgerys Creek AWS has been playing up for weeks. It will be recording temps similar to those at nearby stations and then suddenly spike by several degrees. I don't think that we can rely of readings there for now, especially since Penrith, Richmond, Camden and Campbelltown did not reach 42 degrees over the weekend.
Reading taken by nsw libs

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
I thought that I would have a look at the frequency of 40 plus temperatures in the Sydney area.

At Sydney OH, the temperature has reached 40°C 51 times in 162 years of record, including this weekend. That's an average of about once every three years. There have been only two occurences of two consecutive 40+ days in that time, including this weekend. The other time was in January 1960.

But OH is located in a sea breeze funnel. Forty degree days are much more common in Sydney away from the coastal and harbourside strip.

I had a look at Bankstown, 21 km WSW of the City and 24 km from the open sea. I expect that it would be typical of non-coastal Sydney, which is where most Sydneysiders live.

Counting this weekend, maxima over 40 degrees have been recorded 79 times in 52 and a bit years since July 1, 1968, an average of about 1.5 per annum. Each year typically has one or two 40+ days. Such days are becomeing more common. It recorded 40 degrees for the first time on 8/1/1969 and for the second time nearly four years later in December 1972. In 2020 so far, 40 degrees has been reached five times.

There have never been more than two consecutive 40 degree maxima recorded. Two consecutive 40 degree days were recorded seven times:
  • January 9-10, 1979, with three recorded between January 6 and 10.
  • January 8-9, 1983. It passed 40 degrees again on March 8 1983 and then not again for nearly four years.
  • November 30-December 1, 2004
  • January 22-23, 2010
  • January 30-31, 2017
  • February 10-11, 2017 (44.5, 43.7: two consecutive days over 110°F).
  • November 28-29, 2020.

DaveyDavey

Early Days
Nov 28, 2020
I thought that I would have a look at the frequency of 40 plus temperatures in the Sydney area.

At Sydney OH, the temperature has reached 40°C 51 times in 162 years of record, including this weekend. That's an average of about once every three years. There have been only two occurences of two consecutive 40+ days in that time, including this weekend. The other time was in January 1960.

But OH is located in a sea breeze funnel. Forty degree days are much more common in Sydney away from the coastal and harbourside strip.

I had a look at Bankstown, 21 km WSW of the City and 24 km from the open sea. I expect that it would be typical of non-coastal Sydney, which is where most Sydneysiders live.

Counting this weekend, maxima over 40 degrees have been recorded 79 times in 52 and a bit years since July 1, 1968, an average of about 1.5 per annum. Each year typically has one or two 40+ days. Such days are becomeing more common. It recorded 40 degrees for the first time on 8/1/1969 and for the second time nearly four years later in December 1972. In 2020 so far, 40 degrees has been reached five times.

There have never been more than two consecutive 40 degree maxima recorded. Two consecutive 40 degree days were recorded seven times:
  • January 9-10, 1979, with three recorded between January 6 and 10.
  • January 8-9, 1983. It passed 40 degrees again on March 8 1983 and then not again for nearly four years.
  • November 30-December 1, 2004
  • January 22-23, 2010
  • January 30-31, 2017
  • February 10-11, 2017 (44.5, 43.7: two consecutive days over 110°F).
  • November 28-29, 2020.

Great stats Steve, I was wondering recently how many times OH hit 40+.

Interesting point you make about typical non-coastal sites and where most Sydneysiders live. Ignoring the many microclimates around the metro, OH does not accurately reflect the temp of "Sydney" during the warmer months mainly because of the seabreeze. For example, a warm to hot sunny day may typically be say 25 on the beach, 29 at OH, 33 at the Airport and 38 at Penrith. However the majority of "Sydney" is 35-36. It is not only the western or outwestern suburbs experiencing the heat - often other regions such as the inner west, the Shire and the north shore around Chatswood which are relatively close to the coast experience the same or similar heat. Perhaps another site which more resembles "Sydney" is Olympic Park.

Reactions: Homer and Steve777

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona

Interesting point you make about typical non-coastal sites and where most Sydneysiders live. Ignoring the many microclimates around the metro, OH does not accurately reflect the temp of "Sydney" during the warmer months mainly because of the seabreeze. For example, a warm to hot sunny day may typically be say 25 on the beach, 29 at OH, 33 at the Airport and 38 at Penrith. However the majority of "Sydney" is 35-36. It is not only the western or outwestern suburbs experiencing the heat - often other regions such as the inner west, the Shire and the north shore around Chatswood which are relatively close to the coast experience the same or similar heat. Perhaps another site which more resembles "Sydney" is Olympic Park.
Like wise Bellambi doesn't reflect the temperatures in Wollongong. Being right beside the ocean.
A aws at Wollongong Uni would make more sense.

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
The heat island effect is real though. In my leafy bit of the world i'd say the temperature was a good 5 degrees cooler than in the asphaltic hell hole just a few kilometers away.
The heat island effect is real. I think that many Sydney sites are affected, including Olympic Park, the Airport and Penrith. Also OH when the sea breeze isn't blowing strongly.

=====

November started cool and wet but is now finishing up another warm month. Bankstown's numbers finished at 47m of rain, about 63% of the average, nearly all of which fell in the first half of the month. Minima and Maxima averaged 15.6° to 27.6°, respectively 1.2° and 2.1° above average (today's maximum won't have much effect).

Likewise OH has finished at 69 mm (82% average), again nearly all of which fell in the first half of the month, mostly in the first week. Temps were 16.8° to 26.1°, also about 1 and 2 degrees above the all years average, although the minimum is only slightly above the 1991-2020 average.

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico

But Sydney Metropolitan area is not Sydney either. OH is within the LGA of Sydney so is reflective of the conditions there

Billy Bob

One of Us
Nov 23, 2020
Bungendore
Nobody has mentioned Canterbury Racecourse AWS, which is the only 'gold standard' AWS relatively close to the CBD. Its minima though are on the cold side because of its location in the frost hollow of the Cooks River. The 'Great Wall Of Sydney' and the bitumen of Sydney Airport and General Holmes Drive make the readings at OH and Sydney Airport AWS a bit of a joke. It's important to choose high quality sites in the interest of good science; I am in no way backing up the claims of the denialist lunatic fringe here.

I would invest in an AWS at Centennial Park, replacing the manual site from years ago. Midsummer temps of 18-26 seem quaint now, don't they?

Western Sydney is fortunate to have reliable readings at Sydney Olympic Park, Holsworthy, Camden, Richmond RAAF and the Parramatta manual site. Penrith AWS is accurate for its unique location but isn't that representative of Western Sydney as a whole.

I don't think the BOM will invest in any new AWS locations anytime soon, unfortunately. Thankfully I have the Kowen Forest portable station nearby, which is fairly representative of Bungendore (though not perfect).

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
Nobody has mentioned Canterbury Racecourse AWS, which is the only 'gold standard' AWS relatively close to the CBD. Its minima though are on the cold side because of its location in the frost hollow of the Cooks River. The 'Great Wall Of Sydney' and the bitumen of Sydney Airport and General Holmes Drive make the readings at OH and Sydney Airport AWS a bit of a joke. It's important to choose high quality sites in the interest of good science; I am in no way backing up the claims of the denialist lunatic fringe here.

I would invest in an AWS at Centennial Park, replacing the manual site from years ago. Midsummer temps of 18-26 seem quaint now, don't they?

Western Sydney is fortunate to have reliable readings at Sydney Olympic Park, Holsworthy, Camden, Richmond RAAF and the Parramatta manual site. Penrith AWS is accurate for its unique location but isn't that representative of Western Sydney as a whole.

I don't think the BOM will invest in any new AWS locations anytime soon, unfortunately. Thankfully I have the Kowen Forest portable station nearby, which is fairly representative of Bungendore (though not perfect).

This has been a bug bear of mine for a long time, but what annoys me most about Sydney's AWS system is the lack of them north of the harbour/Parramatta River - what I call the north/south divide of the city.
Currently, on the north side, there is Parramatta (manual), Penrith (maybe - the AWS is north of the M4), Richmond, Terrey Hills, and North Head (useless).
On the south side, there are 16 AWS's.
It is surprising because the north side is by far the highest, wettest part of Sydney, on average, and also the north west has a lot of low lying areas that are frost hollows in winter and heat traps in summer.
When I am around my local area (Castle Hill, and say, within a 5 km radius), certain weather apps I have on my phone divert to either Terrey Hills, Horsley Park or Olympic Park for "my" local conditions. Not particularly ideal.

My wish list for the north would be for some extra AWS's at Palm Beach, Chatswood, Hornsby/Turramurra, Epping/Macquarie Park, Castle Hill and possibly Kellyville/Rouse Hill. This would give a fair representation for the north of the metro, which as I said, is currently so south orientated. Besides Palm Beach, all these are densely populated areas.
Anyway, I'm dreaming, although I've always wondered why so few have been set up in the north, and so many in the south.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

derider

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2020
Wollongong
Like wise Bellambi doesn't reflect the temperatures in Wollongong. Being right beside the ocean.
A aws at Wollongong Uni would make more sense.

I agree Uni's better, but Bellambi's fine. Most of Wollongong is near the ocean. Town itself would experience nearly identical conditions as Bellambi.

What happened to the Uni station anyway? Isn't that where all the measurements were taken for decades until Bellambi took over in about 1997?

The rainfall averages were always significantly higher at Uni than they are in Bellambi. It had us averaging well over 1300mm per year, which always seemed slightly unrealistic to me. Why would Keiraville be wetter than the coast?

Reactions: DaveyDavey

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I agree Uni's better, but Bellambi's fine. Most of Wollongong is near the ocean. Town itself would experience nearly identical conditions as Bellambi.

What happened to the Uni station anyway? Isn't that where all the measurements were taken for decades until Bellambi took over in about 1997?

The rainfall averages were always significantly higher at Uni than they are in Bellambi. It had us averaging well over 1300mm per year, which always seemed slightly unrealistic to me. Why would Keiraville be wetter than the coast?
Closer to the escarpment is higher rainfall due to Orographics.
Yeah nah I disagree.
I'm 3kms from the AWS.
Yet only a km from the ocean.
Sometimes there are 10 degree differences from there(the aws) to here.

derider

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2020
Wollongong
Closer to the escarpment is higher rainfall due to Orographics.
Yeah nah I disagree.
I'm 3kms from the AWS.
Yet only a km from the ocean.
Sometimes there are 10 degree differences from there(the aws) to here.

I'm at roughly the same coordinates, but don't often notice a drastic difference with the AWS. The seabreeze always reaches me here.

That said, I have to admit there was a huge difference yesterday. I checked BoM in the afternoon and Bellambi was showing a suspiciously cold 22.8 degrees, while my thermometer was still saying 36.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I'm at roughly the same coordinates, but don't often notice a drastic difference with the AWS. The seabreeze always reaches me here.

That said, I have to admit there was a huge difference yesterday. I checked BoM in the afternoon and Bellambi was showing a suspiciously cold 22.8 degrees, while my thermometer was still saying 36.
Yeah yesterday for sure.
I even find a difference from Woonona beach to Bellambi aws.
Its just so exposed out on that point.

Reactions: W0nkey D0nkey

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
If we disregard the wayward Badgerys Creek, Sydney OH was today’s hot spot, the only site in the Sydney area to top 27 (or 26). Why?

- It was sunny around the middle of the day in Sydney’s East when most of Sydney was cloudy
- The site is warm in S and SE conditions - sheltered by buildings
- The CBD to the South acts like a ‘mini mountain range’?
- Heat island effects - maybe also heat from the nearby Freeway and Harbour Bridge arch?

Tomorrow, it will revert to its usual role as one of the “coldest” places in Sydney on a Summer afternoon.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
We had a solid cap of cloud develop since sunrise in Wollongong.
Very humid mid level stuff.
Looks as though the sun is starting to do its magic though. Burning through.

Reactions: Trail Blazer

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
After a pleasantly cool day yesterday and overnight, it’s going to get back up to 35 degrees here in Canberra today, I see Dubbo is going to hit 45. Summer time, folks!

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
We've had a low of 17 this morning and heading for 44 top. Thats some big diurnal range right there. Will be an increase of 27 degrees in around 8 hours.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot

ecowain

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Apr 14, 2003
Mount Victoria, NSW
This has been a bug bear of mine for a long time, but what annoys me most about Sydney's AWS system is the lack of them north of the harbour/Parramatta River - what I call the north/south divide of the city.
Currently, on the north side, there is Parramatta (manual), Penrith (maybe - the AWS is north of the M4), Richmond, Terrey Hills, and North Head (useless).
On the south side, there are 16 AWS's.
It is surprising because the north side is by far the highest, wettest part of Sydney, on average, and also the north west has a lot of low lying areas that are frost hollows in winter and heat traps in summer.
When I am around my local area (Castle Hill, and say, within a 5 km radius), certain weather apps I have on my phone divert to either Terrey Hills, Horsley Park or Olympic Park for "my" local conditions. Not particularly ideal.

My wish list for the north would be for some extra AWS's at Palm Beach, Chatswood, Hornsby/Turramurra, Epping/Macquarie Park, Castle Hill and possibly Kellyville/Rouse Hill. This would give a fair representation for the north of the metro, which as I said, is currently so south orientated. Besides Palm Beach, all these are densely populated areas.
Anyway, I'm dreaming, although I've always wondered why so few have been set up in the north, and so many in the south.
Whilst not a BOM AWS, some friends maintain this weather station for paragliding at long reef, on the northern beaches.

https://holfuy.com/en/weather/177

Might be of use.

DaveyDavey

Early Days
Nov 28, 2020
The seabreeze kept going all night at most Sydney coastal sites. Lately Sydney has been blanketed by clouds in the morning only to clear later on. Seems to affect the Basin more so, sometimes almost exclusively. Any reason?

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Bourke has reached 46.7° a little after solar noon and looks to be the hottest place in the State. Smithville, a few hundred km to the West on the SA border, is relatively chilly 37°.

Penrith and Richmond have only reached 30°. They will have to get a wiggle on to reach their forecast max of 40-41°. Mt Boyce has also reached 30° (about 37° sea level equivalent) so there's hot air about.

Back home, early cloud evaporated around 10:00 AM to a sunny, sea breezy day. Wouldn’t be surprised if there was a late surge in the temperature, mainly inland but possibly also closer to the coast in the evening if the NE’er eases.

Long Road Home

One of Us
Aug 7, 2020
The sea breeze going hard today, it actually got going since about 8am - even reached the western suburbs so not sure about the 41C today although we've seen stranger things happen.

Reactions: Sideny

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
You will cop some decent storms today I think.
Around school pickup time!
Fortunately not my day to do this :D. Currently not a cloud in the sky in Tuggeranong (South Canberra), so it will be interesting to see if the storm predicted for about 4pm actually arrives. Clearly a fast-moving one!

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
The hottest in the State looks to be Brewon (SW of Walgett) at 48.0
Bourke was hot on its heels at 47.6°.

In the Sydney area, Penrith and Richmond have both reached 38° rounded and are just below their maxima now. I think that OH’s 28.4° earlier this afternoon, just short of the forecast, is as high as it will go there today.

Reactions: Homer
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using