Heatwave NSW/ACT - Intense Heatwave - Nov 27 to Dec 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Interesting looking at the temporary evaporative cooling effect of the line of storms. Forbes for example dropped from low 40's to 29 for one reading and then back up to 38.

piolet

Better make it three
Ski Pass
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust
Storm inbound Wollongong...
Kiama
IDR712 (2).gif

rocketboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 9, 2010
Gerroa
Looks like a typical all froth no cigar storm. About 15 mins of bang boom and 2mm of nothing. Can already see blue sky behind it

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
We are on the southern tail of that (jervis bay). lots of noise, a little bit of flash and very little actual precipitation. all gone now and looks like a nice evening

a few people in the caravan park packed up and left this arvo in anticipation. wasted.

Reactions: piolet
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Longys

Hard Yards
Jul 9, 2019
Glenmore Park
Disappointing in Wagga. Was in the firing line for severe storms from early on but nothing eventuated. Didn’t get the expected gusty NW winds although they did come up a bit from the SW mid to late afternoon. Temp didn’t quite get to the expected level either. One day left here before a return back to the concrete jungle of Sydney. Enjoy the storm.

Perfect Storm

One of Us
Jul 5, 2019
Carramar, South West Sydney.
Glad some are getting some good H2O by the radar and obs!

Whatever is going on locally in the convective department is frustrating. Seems to be all heavy rain very close but no direct hit for the last 2-3 months.

Frustrating and also it's meant our rainfall has been lower as a result. :(

So close, yet so far...

Reactions: Seabreezes

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
BOM really fcukt up today.
That's ok though, as I don't think anyone else saw this coming either.
They said low chance of a thunderstorm. No one else picked up on it, until about 3 hours ago when it was screaming in from the south west.
This is what makes weather exciting. The unknown.

Anyway, I got 15 minutes of torrential rain, a few flangs and a bit of wind with the gust front. More than I ever expected today.
Storm has passed now but we are under some steady rain from the follow up.

Majikthise

Sage
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Blue Mts
BOM really ****ed up today.
They said low chance of a thunderstorm. No one else picked up on it, until about 3 hours ago when it was screaming in from the south west.

Anyway, I got 15 minutes of torrential rain, a few flangs and a bit of wind with the gust front. More than I ever expected today.
The storms originated exactly where they said they would though. That is half the battle..where they go from there is a whole different degree of witchery.

Reactions: POW Hungry

Long Road Home

Addicted
Aug 7, 2020
skyscooping posted some charts, SWEAT, K-index and LI's for about 5pm in the NSW thread. All indicating severe storms for most areas. BoM must've thought the strong seabreeze would kill the cells as they came off the ranges, well I certainly thought that.

ecowain

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 14, 2003
Mount Victoria, NSW
BOM really ****ed up today.

I don't really think they did, at least for my location they got it pretty good. For the upper blue mtns, they said chance of thunderstorm, possibly severe. Yep.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I don't really think they did, at least for my location they got it pretty good. For the upper blue mtns, they said chance of thunderstorm, possibly severe. Yep.
Yeah their chart was bang on.
Worded forecast. Not so much.

AshestoAshes

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Voyager Point NSW
Nice little 4.1mms here just what the doctor ordered after a hot couple days, very encouraged by storm after hot day it's been sorely missed. Was going to post earlier but my neck of the woods Bankstown had the warmest night in Sydney on Monday with 28.1 degrees absolutely smashing the all time record of 26.0 on 02 Feb 2011 and also the 14 Nov 2004 record of 22.6.

Also i just noticed the brewarrina radar is up and running
Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 7.48.29 pm.png

Long Road Home

Addicted
Aug 7, 2020
Good they have one out there, but I would've preferred Cobar or Wilcannia, as there's still a massive 'blind spot' with the radar at Brewarrina. Not sure what the topography is like out there, perhaps not suited for a radar (?)
Will help the people of Bourke though

Reactions: Gleno71

Gleno71

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Gold Coast, Queensland
Im down from the Gold coast on holidays so thought i would post here. I missed the shelf cloud due to peak hour traffic and the storm seemed to have picked up pace when it reached the southern highlands. I should of turned off and shot from Kirribilli. Ended up at Bondi but got a nice little strike and stunning sunset.

DSC_3975.jpg
DSC_3984.jpg

DaveyDavey

Early Days
Nov 28, 2020
A fresh breezy cloudy morning. The southerly arrived about 2:30/3:00am. House still feels warm though.

Days like this after a heatwave are my 2nd fav (fav is sunny warm days with a not too strong seabreeze) but then they become depressing if they prolong.

As expected, the 47 at Badgerys Creek is not officially recognised so the Sydney Basin trophy goes to the Airport which reached 43.0 (0.4 shy of its November record).

AshestoAshes

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Voyager Point NSW
Good they have one out there, but I would've preferred Cobar or Wilcannia, as there's still a massive 'blind spot' with the radar at Brewarrina. Not sure what the topography is like out there, perhaps not suited for a radar (?)
Will help the people of Bourke though
Next one i believe is around Parkes so it should go a long way in easing the blindspots in a key agricultural area. Then one in the Hillston-Ivanhoe region.
https://www.dailyliberal.com.au/sto...t-doppler-weather-radar-has-been-switched-on/

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
I still never really understand the use of radar to agriculture. Not much you can't see from the sat pic these days. Are these farmers really making decisions on the sort of time scale that radar is useful? Summer storms often brew up quickly and brew directly overhead from nothing. Usually easy to see this using the true colour visible image or just look out the window.

AshestoAshes

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Voyager Point NSW
Im down from the Gold coast on holidays so thought i would post here. I missed the shelf cloud due to peak hour traffic and the storm seemed to have picked up pace when it reached the southern highlands. I should of turned off and shot from Kirribilli. Ended up at Bondi but got a nice little strike and stunning sunset.

DSC_3975.jpg
DSC_3984.jpg
Amazing Gleno! hope you'd be considering keeping your talents down here permanently ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass