Predictions NSW/ACT - Post Christmas Heatwave Dec 26 to early January

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
Can you post a screenshot? If you click into the individual site it is only every 30 min. If you stay on the general Syd Observations page it is all sites updated every 10 minutes (generally at 2:34pm for data up to 2:30 etc.)

Here you go. Just need to look in the correct column
http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/observations/sydney.shtml?ref=hdr

7E436E45-B54A-4B02-A48A-A7E55755B053.jpeg

forrester

Hard Yards
Jan 4, 2020
Canberra Airport continues to rise with 43.6 at 2:39pm - how high above the 42.2 degree record will it go today?

So many maximum temperature records being broken today!

Reactions: comet and Wavey

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Artarmon, Sydney North Shore
Sydney Olympic Park, at 46.9, smashed its old record (44.8 old & new sites, since 1996).
Bankstown at 46.4 passed its old record (46.1, 2013), 51 years of record.
Other records have no doubt been set.

Penrith back to 48.0. Richmond has been cloud affected and kept a bit “cooler”.

It’s like an oven outside. The car thermometer was reading 46-48° around 1:00PM (North Ryde area) but I think this time it was over-reading.

Wavey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Wollongong, NSW
Lol all the other temps make my max of 43.4°C seem pretty weak. Dropped back to 38°C now, still feels swelteringly hot with humidity as well.

PS: the southerly rounded the corner at about 2:30pm with a SWly gust of 74km/h at Gabo Island.

Reactions: Snow Blowey
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Mcbobbings

Hard Yards
Jul 10, 2019
Macquarie Park NSW
Speaking of car temps, the actual temp gauge on my car has only dropped 1 bar off operating temp. Went for a 15 minute drive 3 hours ago. Normally would be almost cooled down.

Temp on the car was 50c but probably innacurate as it was in the sun and radiator would be heating it up as well.

Luke_Up

Hard Yards
Dec 31, 2019
850hpa temperatures above Sydney are now reaching 30 degrees Celsius, and further south over Canberra and the South Coast they are reaching 31 degrees - so a 44 could be possible for Canberra. South Coast seems to be affected by smoke haze hindering temperatures there. If Penrith is able to reach 49 degrees under 30 degree 850ha temperature, that means on the 21st of December 19 when temps at the 850 level above Sydney reached 31 degrees, theoretically a 50 degree temperature could have been possible in Sydney if there was no smoke haze. Never thought that was even possible.

forrester

Hard Yards
Jan 4, 2020
Canberra Airport has reached 44.0 at 4:08pm. Astonishing for a station at 577masl.
Today's new record will hopefully not be broken again within our lifetimes...

Several other stations in the area including Goulburn and Braidwood (although both have much shorter records) have also well exceeded their highest recorded temperatures to date.

Edit:
69.8 degrees in Cabramurra! [likely fire weather related]

Wavey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Wollongong, NSW
Just noticed something terrifying, Cabramurra has been hovering in the 50's for last half hour with a max temp of 69.8°C at 4:26pm and gusts of wind up to 128km/h! The fire front is certainly going through there but possibly for the first time we can see on an AWS how much extra wind these fires cause.

AshestoAshes

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Voyager Point NSW
Just noticed something terrifying, Cabramurra has been hovering in the 50's for last half hour with a max temp of 69.8°C at 4:26pm and gusts of wind up to 128km/h! The fire front is certainly going through there but possibly for the first time we can see on an AWS how much extra wind these fires cause.
I think it's the thunderstorms imo that are causing such wind gusts a whole swathe up to the Illawarra is under a STW for damaging winds.
Cabramurra peaked at 69.8 degrees i'm taking a screenshot for record so when it's ruled out.
Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 4.45.38 pm.png

Reactions: comet and Wavey

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney

Yes, that would certainly be the fire approaching.
The same thing happened at Mallacoota AWS on New Years Eve, before the station went off line.

Gleno71

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Gold Coast, Queensland
850hpa temperatures above Sydney are now reaching 30 degrees Celsius, and further south over Canberra and the South Coast they are reaching 31 degrees - so a 44 could be possible for Canberra. South Coast seems to be affected by smoke haze hindering temperatures there. If Penrith is able to reach 49 degrees under 30 degree 850ha temperature, that means on the 21st of December 19 when temps at the 850 level above Sydney reached 31 degrees, theoretically a 50 degree temperature could have been possible in Sydney if there was no smoke haze. Never thought that was even possible.

you could never rule out a 50c day in the Sydney Basin after today, wouldnt suprise me if it happens sometime soon in the not too distant future. I still feel the official Sydney temp should be moved to a differant location. Obs hill seems to be the coolest place to record summer temps.

bengarden

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 24, 2014
Not the right time or place to discuss this stuff
Just like never the time to discuss causes of our fire disaster right? Like I know this is a Bear Pit topic, So I'll leave it at that, but seriously. People are afraid of discussing basic scientific facts and observations on a weather thread? Its frickin hot here in Canberra- to keep it on topic. Perhaps I should not discuss that though......

Reactions: jonathanc

dogski

One of Us
Jul 28, 2010
toowoomba
Just like never the time to discuss causes of our fire disaster right? Like I know this is a Bear Pit topic, So I'll leave it at that, but seriously. People are afraid of discussing basic scientific facts and observations on a weather thread? Its frickin hot here in Canberra- to keep it on topic. Perhaps I should not discuss that though......
Yep that topic does belong in the bear pit.By all means talk about observations and conditions in the topic
as it is.

Reactions: bengarden

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
Wouldn’t mind this change hurrying up. 36 degrees at 9pm isn’t helpful for house cooling.

It’s now visible on the TH Doppler. It’s currently in the middle of Stanwell Park and Port Hacking (on the 64km line)

Yep. Pretty much still the same temp here.
It'll be a strong and gusty one once it squeezes up past the escarpment.

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Thank you for the likes everyone. I suppose that if we had a ‘dislike’ button I might have got a few of those too. Whatever, we need a civilised discussion.

Back to the weather, it’s an enervating night in Chatswood, too much for the air con at this venue. It’s still in the mid 30s over most of Sydney. The change seems to have speeded up, it has now reached Bellambi and Wattamolla, but temps are relatively warn in its wake. I think that this is a ‘sneaky Southerly’, a kink in the isobars, with the real change to follow a few hours later.

Reactions: Wavey and Homer

Rainbow Spirit

Addicted
Jul 7, 2019
Green Valley
Well I'll hold back on opening up the house for a while, although the change has been here for about 15mins, the temps have only dropped about 2 degrees from 35c to 33c. Also there is a fair bit of ash and smoke mixed in as well.

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
Thank you for the likes everyone. I suppose that if we had a ‘dislike’ button I might have got a few of those too. Whatever, we need a civilised discussion.

Back to the weather, it’s an enervating night in Chatswood, too much for the air con at this venue. It’s still in the mid 30s over most of Sydney. The change seems to have speeded up, it has now reached Bellambi and Wattamolla, but temps are relatively warn in its wake. I think that this is a ‘sneaky Southerly’, a kink in the isobars, with the real change to follow a few hours later.

Good post Steve.
It's nice that here at ski.com, they allow a little bit of "controversial discussion and opinion".
WZ were Nazi's, and it stifled what was somewhat occasional decent opinion.

Re, the southerly, is it possible that the it is having trouble forcing it's way through the heated NW'lys and are mixing with those winds?
You are probably right though that a stronger surge will come through later.
Even the Illawarra is struggling to cool down.

Reactions: Wavey

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland
Location please guys. Going by your reports I'd say you are in Canberra like I currently am. Don't bother opening up the house as the smoke level has gone up in line with the change.

Reactions: cornice11

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Thank you Homer.

——-
Re the change, it’s arrived here in Artarmon the last 10 minutes or so. It brings with it a faint smell of smoke, but on balance I’m opening the windows.

Reactions: Homer
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass