Storm NSW/ACT/SE Qld - Showers and Storms January 15 - 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshestoAshes

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Voyager Point NSW
This an unreal amount of lightning strikes to occur over the last 24 hours, thunderstorm Capital of the world right now with no one even close.
Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 1.39.56 pm.png

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Artarmon, Sydney North Shore
Most recent rain days in Sydney over 10 mm before today:

Nov 4 : 15.4 mm
Oct 12: 11.0
Oct 5 : 16.6
Sept 17-19: 19.2, 65.6, 27.0

So today is the wettest in Sydney for 4 months.

EDIT: looking at the radar just now, the rain band over Sydney seems to be evaporating. Still raining lightly here.

Reactions: POW Hungry

Snowmaker7

One of Us
Jul 25, 2013
Bowral, NSW
Moss vale has recorded only 112mm of rain in the last 6 months (since July 1st 2019) so any rain at all here is welcome! Currently just smokey mist. Would never have thought we would have recorded no rain at all for the main part of the event so far apart from the 6mm we had on Thursday morning. Rain should hopefully increase further south here as the afternoon progresses looking at Stormcast!

Reactions: AshestoAshes

Storminateacup

Hard Yards
Aug 26, 2019
Broadwater, Gold Coast
245mm here so far in Hollywell since the rain began around 11pm last night (which made pretty short work of the neighbour's son's 21st party being held outside, poor bugger). Never had this sort of rain total in such a short period of time, even when ex-trop Oswald passed through. Hubby's workshop is inundated but the house is mostly dry (a small leak coming through a doorframe). Its the first time our pool's overflow pipe has not been able to keep up with the rain and the pool has overflowed. We're on a canal with very sandy soil so fortunately for us, water gets away quickly (lots of areas around us, particularly towards Surfers, are not going to be so lucky and will be badly flooded). Not a great deal of wind but very lightning active, the last couple of hours in particular, and I couldn't help but notice how thunder sounds completely different in this type of rain-dense system, sounds a lot like someone throwing rocks at big panels of thin sheet metal. No sign of the rain letting up any time soon, so quite curious to see how much we eventually get.

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
There has been only a millimetre of rain overnight in Sydney and it hasn't rained since 6:30. For a few hours a blob of rain sat more or less stationery off Broken Bay but it has now expanded over Northern Sydney. It is slowly moving or expanding towards the SW.

I do wish it would rain or clear up. Assuming little or no sunshine yesterday or today, Sydney will be tracking an average 4 hours sunshine per day for the month to date. That's similair to Inverness (Scotland) in midsummer (July), although they do have longer daylight hours.

EDIT: Mona Vale is keeing up its reputation as home to perhaps the State's soggiest Golf Club, topping the Sydney totals to 9:00 with 63 mm.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Lani

One of Us
Jul 4, 2019
Jimbour
The next week is only 60-100mm, enough to wet the top 50cm of soil, it’ll barely make it into creeks. It’d only take a couple of weeks of heat to dry out again. Need upwards of 400mm (at a guess) before the ground is saturated and we get proper catchment topping up.
Got to remember the ground is hydrophobic, it’s actually repelling the initial rainfalls and going straight into dams and water ways. The following falls started to absorb yesterday we have recorded 103mm in two days of falls, dam is full and today I can see grass starting to grow. Thank goodness for small blessings!

Rainbow Spirit

Addicted
Jul 7, 2019
Green Valley
We had intermittent light rain overnight to bring the event total to 46mm here. Weeds that I thought were gone to weed heaven have returned! and the apparently dead grass is making a come back.

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Event total at Chatswood so far (rainfall to 9:00 Jan 16-19): 1 + 24 + 28 + 7 mm = 60 mm.
At Sydney OH: 0.6 + 24.6 + 30.6 + 4.4 = 60.2 mm.

For Sydney OH, nearly all of this (50.4 mm) fell between 7:30 and 14:30 on the 17th. For the remainder of the period it's been overcast with periods of light rain or drizzle. This would have been the pattern for all or most of Sydney.

Reactions: SnowBound

Winterwolf

One of Us
Jun 2, 2019
Nice little rain train heading into Bowral now. I've only recorded 19mm to date so anything is welcome. Looking like 5mm in it if we are fortunate

AshestoAshes

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Voyager Point NSW
50.4mm (64.8mm for the month) so far in this event I would be awfully disappointed if we fell below average for the month. But it has been a long-time since i've seen 3 days in a row with ground soaked in the morning when talking about January.

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Warm, cloudy and very muggy here with bright periods. The cicadas got sick of waiting for the sun and have come out in force. For once Sydney OH at 26.2° is the Sydney hot spot. It seems to be clearing from the North.

We still have those heavy showers out to sea. It is interesting to see that showers are still moving Southwards through the Blue Mountains, Sydney’s outer West and the Illawarra. Since 9:00 there have been falls of 7 mm in Mt Boyce and 4 in Penrith. Only light falls in the Illawarra but totals might build up there.

Reactions: AshestoAshes

Mezo

One of Us
Dec 11, 2019
Springfield
You'd be saying the opposite come winter, however.

Summer = dry season for VIC and Southern NSW; winter = wet season.

Having lived in northern Victoria for the first 30 years of my life before moving up to Brisbane, I can tell you with certainty the rainfall intensity there, even in winter, doesn't even begin to come close to the sort of rain you get up here (rate and totals).

Adaminaby Angler

One of Us
Ski Pass
Having lived in northern Victoria for the first 30 years of my life before moving up to Brisbane, I can tell you with certainty the rainfall intensity there, even in winter, doesn't even begin to come close to the sort of rain you get up here (rate and totals).
Where in Northern VIC?

There's a major difference between somewhere like Wangaratta, and somewhere like Koetong... :whistle:

DaveM

One of Us
Aug 18, 2000
Bathurst NSW
A friend just posted a video of heavy rain n sparks in Orange, started in last half hour. Hope we get some a little later

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Cowra picked up 34 mm. That will be much appreciated out there.

Anything West of the Divide is good for the Murray Darling Basin.

Warm, calm and humid here. The stars are out. Crickets, frogs and bats have taken over from the cicadas.

Last edited:

Rainbow Spirit

Addicted
Jul 7, 2019
Green Valley
If that rain and storm band keeps on its course it should impact Sydney around 1:30am.

The band looks very active down south, and one could almost think it will be natures aerial fire bomber and land right onto a large part of the fire zones down that way.

Reactions: Steve777 and Homer

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
All of this topsoil going out to sea makes me think this drought will take a while to recover from. This is about the 10th time I've seen a dust storm in the past year.

It doesn't all blow out to sea. Its being deposited everywhere. The dust all over everything around my place will attest to this. Many places may actually gain soil from these events.

DaveM

One of Us
Aug 18, 2000
Bathurst NSW
Yes I’ve had red top dressing a number of times in the last 6 months. Bloody rusty dirt from Cobar way :eek:

We may end up with 5mm, maybe a tad more from this shower. Not much but I’ll take every drop I can get. :thumbs:

connells

One of Us
Some of that topsoil does take the scenic route to the ocean.
It goes via my window > floor > mop > sink > sewer > ocean.

There's a lone cell near Lithgow headed for the basin now. I hope it dies before it crosses the ranges. A sunny morning would be nice for a change. Four days of overcast is enough.

Lorilee Briggs

First Runs
Jul 31, 2019
Haven't emptied the rain gauge here, after this past weekend for the duration of the event we've had 76mm, or dead on 3 inches. Really grateful for some rain, and even more grateful to hear of the run off into Leslie Dam.

Reactions: POW Hungry
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass