Storm NSW/ACT/SE Qld - Showers and Storms January 15 - 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
More than likely, but just had 2 minutes of massive drops from the current small cell over Castle Hill.
I actually thought it was hail at first, considering how loud they were on the pergola roof.
The state of it as it swipes Bondi:
55BD9988-130F-4217-AC4D-106B4AF5C470.jpeg

DaveM

One of Us
Aug 18, 2000
Bathurst NSW
Got a surprise when I got home, our wheelie bins had almost an inch of water in them because they’d been collected but lids were open.

I know they are bigger in the mouth than the bottom but clearly we had more in the storm today than 3,or 4 mm per the airport. The radar at the time showed a much denser section passing over this way. We may have had say 10mm, lovely for here.

To reinforce the thought my driveway and water pathway down the side of the house shows strong scouring. Significantly more than I expect from a 4mm storm

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Rainbow Spirit

Addicted
Jul 7, 2019
Green Valley
Around 5pm I had a strange experience unlike any I've had before, heading west on Elizabeth Dr at Cecil Park, just before the run down to Mamre Rd, we were in no rain at all, then up ahead was a virtual wall of rain like you see in a cartoon, it pounded down for about ten minutes and disappeared almost as fast as it had appeared. Very strange...

Reactions: Steve777

SnowBound

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2007
Northern Beaches, Sydney
Around 5pm I had a strange experience unlike any I've had before, heading west on Elizabeth Dr at Cecil Park, just before the run down to Mamre Rd, we were in no rain at all, then up ahead was a virtual wall of rain like you see in a cartoon, it pounded down for about ten minutes and disappeared almost as fast as it had appeared. Very strange...

Would that be a micro-burst?

Locke

Addicted
Jul 5, 2019
Brisbane
oceanicoriginals.com
In terms of claims lodged this is shaping to be the largest hail event since Sydney April 1999. (Melbourne, Canberra and Sydney will be considered a single reinsurance event given the weather system all storms originated from).

cornice11

One of Us
Jun 16, 2018
In terms of claims lodged this is shaping to be the largest hail event since Sydney April 1999. (Melbourne, Canberra and Sydney will be considered a single reinsurance event given the weather system all storms originated from).
was it forecast (to be of the intensity and scale we recieved)? can these sorts of events be forecast?

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Box Hill, VIC
was it forecast (to be of the intensity and scale we recieved)? can these sorts of events be forecast?
We can certainly forecast that hail and thunderstorms are potential events. But not before an hour or so before can we really gauge where exactly and how strong these cells are going to be.

Reactions: cornice11

Rainbow Spirit

Addicted
Jul 7, 2019
Green Valley
We have had 58mm for the event so far.

Concerning that rain wall that I drove through, it didn't feel like a micro burst as it was coming straight down with no wind and looked like a huge block of falling water, somewhat like a brick shaped object or water curtain. There was a clean cut wall where if you had stopped and stood at the spot and put out your hands you would have had one dry, and the other one wet!

Wavey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Wollongong, NSW
Well we missed all the storm activity here yesterday, getting just a 1 min heavy shower with the storm splitting to the north and south. Tbh I'm pretty happy to have missed out on those sort of storms anyway.

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Artarmon, Sydney North Shore
This map can serve as a wrap-up for the event, which I think we can say is over:

AD814D74-8DDA-4DC9-92A0-D3F58DBF98B6.jpeg

So good falls over most of the state. Last nights storms filled in some of the gaps, but some locations did poorly. Sydney sites finished with around 50 - 60 mm, most of which fell on Friday 17th.

Reactions: Belly and Wavey

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
We have had 58mm for the event so far.

Concerning that rain wall that I drove through, it didn't feel like a micro burst as it was coming straight down with no wind and looked like a huge block of falling water, somewhat like a brick shaped object or water curtain. There was a clean cut wall where if you had stopped and stood at the spot and put out your hands you would have had one dry, and the other one wet!

It's quite common from storm cells. Very apparent if you live somewhere with a clear view of the sky. Some days in Dubbo I can hear the rain band moving closer to home across all the tin rooves and then whammo. Heavy rain.

Lani

One of Us
Jul 4, 2019
Jimbour
Why would you say the event is over? There were storms tracking through at 2am this morning. More storms firing today with storms predicted on and off until the action gets more intense again on Friday and into the weekend?

Scoober

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 12, 2014
Gosford
This map can serve as a wrap-up for the event, which I think we can say is over:

AD814D74-8DDA-4DC9-92A0-D3F58DBF98B6.jpeg

So good falls over most of the state. Last nights storms filled in some of the gaps, but some locations did poorly. Sydney sites finished with around 50 - 60 mm, most of which fell on Friday 17th.
If only we could press “repeat” in a week or two as another couple of events could start to bring us out of this horrendous drought!!

Reactions: Steve777 and Homer

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne

Small world, that is one of my friends from Canberra. I'll tell him he's famous on the weather forums:p His photo is far too scientific, using a ruler. Everybody knows the only acceptable measurements for hailstones is in terms of sports equipment, golf balls, cricket balls or heavens forbid footballs:eek:

I think the ones we had in Northwest Sydney 2017 were bigger, these from my place at Kenthurst
IMG_1674.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass