Day to Day NSW / ACT weather

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Box Hill, VIC
I'm starting this thread to kind of keep all of the WZ NSW refugees together in one thread.

This thread is for day to day observations and predictions for areas that aren’t in the Snowy Mountains (ie not snow-related). Rainfall predictions, statistical analysis and other things that fit in the scope of this thread are welcome.

If anyone has suggestions or thoughts, please share them. I’m sure the mods and admins will change as they see fit.

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
Yep. Cool and showery day here. Periods of drizzle and the odd spot of sun, but very short lived.
Max was just 15.8 here in The Hills District.

Thanks Jelly for starting this.

Reactions: Chaeron

Eddy

One of Us
Jul 4, 2019
Port Stephens
It was actually quite a mild day up here at Port Stephens, 20c was my top and 8.4mm falling since midnight, most of that falling in the early hours.

Reactions: Chaeron

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
I live in a cave (bedroom is randomly virtually soundproof), so some mornings i am not quite sure if its raining or not.

So i had the genius idea to ask google. google was wrong!

There was some interesting fog on the harbour this afternoon wish i took a photo! i will now we have this thread.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I live in a cave (bedroom is randomly virtually soundproof), so some mornings i am not quite sure if its raining or not.

So i had the genius idea to ask google. google was wrong!

There was some interesting fog on the harbour this afternoon wish i took a photo! i will now we have this thread.
You need a webcam

Reactions: Chaeron and Ozgirl

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Rain Parrot, my goto for saving my ‘get the damn clothes off the line’ app. Just gave me 24 min warning of light rain lasting 6 min.

Newcastle

Rain Parrot is rarely wrong.

Will confirm in twenty five min.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Steady all last night on the South Co .
Drive up to CBR this morning the Clyde was misty and damp as expected.
Dried out West of Braidwood.
Same same on the return.
Could see the cloud band and precip to the South hugging the mighty Badja.

Snowmaker7

One of Us
Jul 25, 2013
Bowral, NSW
Absolutely bucketed down on my way home from Miranda to bowral tonight. Could barely see the road 20 metres ahead! As usual, very little rain at home! Next chance for some rain looks to be this sunday/monday

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Just left the bedroom to get some water. It's pouring outside! Seriously had no idea!

inner west Syd

Wavey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Wollongong, NSW
Not as much rain down this way- about 5mm. Getting a few punchy showers but most of it is just drizzle.

Actually a nice heavy shower falling just now.

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
10.5mm so far in Hornsby Shire for the past hour. Azalea's and Rhododendron's in bloom alongwith seasonal Camelia's. Bottlebrush buds are humming along too. LOL

cruisin along

Free at last
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2007
CC Terrigal area
Loads of rain here yesterday and last night yet 20 klm away my dad got just a few drops. Thinking of getting rain gauges for everyone’s homes that I know to see how much difference there is in rain on the CC.

Reactions: Ozgirl

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Artarmon, Sydney North Shore
Good morning all.

It's sunny now, but we've been having showers on and off for maybe 36 hours. During that time, nearby Chatswood has picked up 39 mm, including 5 mm since 9:00AM. The rain is penetrating inland a bit this time, unlike the last couple of rain events, but not to where it's mist needed.

Anyway, hoping for cold fronts and tableland snow inthe next couple of weeks.

Wavey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Wollongong, NSW
Morning Steve, glad to see you over here. It's still fairly cloudy down this way and we picked up 12mm overnight.

Kino

Early Days
Jul 5, 2019
Plenty of shower activity here now in the 'Gong after the overnight lull as the flow turned mored easterly. The forecast rainfall was only 5mm and we've almost surpassed that already. Great to see nearly 40mm in Blackheath overnight - great for Warragamba. Hopefully Cordeux and like are getting some inflows as last time I passed them (last week) there wasn't much in either.

Adaminaby Angler

One of Us
Ski Pass
Shall I post here instead of Alpine & Southern outside of the snow-season, or does Alpine & Southern promote summer discussion as well (such as storms, epic heatwaves, and so forth)?

Hopefully, I won't get piled-on in Alpine & Southern for praising summer heat like what occured with a few particular characters back at Weatherzone earlier in January...
poke.gif

I quite enjoy the extremes in climate—i.e. hot summers, cold winters.

Kino

Early Days
Jul 5, 2019
We could really do with a black NE'ester here....would quickly top up the dams and get us off Level 1 restrictions.

Reactions: Donza

Wavey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Wollongong, NSW
Plenty of shower activity here now in the 'Gong after the overnight lull as the flow turned mored easterly. The forecast rainfall was only 5mm and we've almost surpassed that already.

Yep already up to 10mm at Bellambi which is more than what fell last night. I'm just a touch south of the main activity but I had a heavy shower just a couple of mins ago. Great day to stay inside and listen to the rain as it falls.

And welcome too :)

Yeah Black NEer would be great. These S/SE airstreams don't tend to favour us that much.

Reactions: Homer and Kino

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
AA, just a friendly tip. In the predictions thread for the 10th - 14th July event, you're chatting about AWS locations and the what not.
That is off topic and you will quickly be told to stay on topic if it continues. That sort of chatter belongs in their BBQ threads and they tolerate it there. For the actual event threads, they're pretty tough about staying on topic.
Even in here it would be ok.

Kino

Early Days
Jul 5, 2019
Some periods of moderate rain now, which is a surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one.

Kino

Early Days
Jul 5, 2019
Interesting satpic/radar observation - these showers are being generated only about 100km offshore; then around 100km further east of that area there appears to be a strong easterly surge moving in with associated Cu field - hopefully that means a ramping up of shower activity right across the eastern seaboard.

Reactions: nfip and Homer

Eddy

One of Us
Jul 4, 2019
Port Stephens
Not much in the gauge here, just 0.3mm so far, its been mainly fine so far and warm currently 20.6c.
Already certain types of Wattle in full flower and we still have some deciduous plants refusing to let go.

Kino

Early Days
Jul 5, 2019
Personally I find that wattle can be quite deceptive when it chooses to flower...no real rhyme or reason. Bit like the 'early flowering of mango = big wet season ahead' myth from the Top End.

Showers have abated now, the surge of easterlies I referred to earlier is starting to show on radar about 130km out which means there even may be the chance of a thundery shower with that surge (given cloud tops must be decent).

Reactions: Claude Cat

bywong_yuki

One of Us
May 1, 2009
Bywong
Not much in the gauge here, just 0.3mm so far, its been mainly fine so far and warm currently 20.6c.
Already certain types of Wattle in full flower and we still have some deciduous plants refusing to let go.
The wattles would mainly be flowering in reaction to what happens six months ago. It would be very unusual for them to flower much more than a couple of weeks past usual. As plants are not only temp sensitive but also very light sensitive too.
Quite heavy showers here in Bywong coming in from the east. A couple of handy mms for the tank.

Reactions: Eddy

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Interesting satpic/radar observation - these showers are being generated only about 100km offshore; then around 100km further east of that area there appears to be a strong easterly surge moving in with associated Cu field - hopefully that means a ramping up of shower activity right across the eastern seaboard.
Was very isolated though.
I drove through Torrential rain on the M1 this early afternoon. Then to brilliant sun.
Bellambi had some decent fall rates before lunch.
Can at home says 22mm for today.. in Woonona

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Rain Parrot says patchy rain again in 10 min then moderate rain in an hour. (Newcastle)

Posting here will help me keep track of its accuracy. I’ve screwed around with the settings over time and have been really narrowing it down and mostly it’s accurate enough to take seriously.

Sure saves my bacon getting clothes off the line during the day.

Reactions: Homer

AArena

Steamed ham
Jul 5, 2019
Copacabana
Glad you have found Ski. Welcome.

Looks like much of NSW is going to receive at least a mm or two, a bit more for some areas on Monday. At the very least.

Im hoping for a couple more mm’s tonight/tomorrow.
Yesterday from 8am-8pm received a surprising 19mm.
Here’s a nice rainbow from my balcony 9:56 this morning

Attachments

• 3CD7E0D3-C494-4DC5-926D-8CF9692D855F.jpeg
    3CD7E0D3-C494-4DC5-926D-8CF9692D855F.jpeg
    262.4 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: Chaeron and Wavey
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass