1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Day to Day NSW / ACT weather

Discussion in 'Daily & Chat' started by Jellybeans, Jul 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

So far winking in and out of existence without getting much travel in. About to test it with a family picnic with friends...

2. warrie

warrie One of Us

Ch 7 weather person mentioned a controlled release in 6 pm news last night -5th. It can't be too much as the next weir downstream at Wallacia has barely risen 8 cm. Prudence says to release with 2 months more of a La Nina summer to go.

3. warrie

warrie One of Us

Appin radar has a reading looking like it is at Nerriga. It's a portable AWS down in Vic. Some how it has teleported 300 km north and 500 km east LOL. Station DetailsID: 250124Name: PORTABLE VIC HARVEST D (DELWP)Lat: -37.83Lon: 144.86Height: 20.0 m

4. kylep

kylep Cage rattler Ski Pass: Gold

What do you mean that the radar has a reading?

5. warrie

warrie One of Us

Put the cursor on top of one of the sites on the radar image.

kylep likes this.
  6. POW_hungry

POW_hungry Old n' Crusty Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Hard to extract much detail given the 60km (?) distance (Bondi to Appin) but you can see that sucker and it’s skirt/shelf cloud. Taken 18:30hrs:

7. Eddy

Eddy One of Us

Yesterday was quite frustrating in this neck of the woods, trough was too far north and the south-east change too far south, stuck in no-mans land really. I could see structure to my south and to my north. Kicking myself for going to bed early, thinking getting up at 2am there would be cells offshore and much closer, well there were plenty of cells offshore according to radar but they weren't really lighting up, I think I saw about 3 tops light up from 2am to 5.30am. Had I stayed up I would have been treated to a light show, albeit over 100ks away.
    Storm to my south

And storm to my north, both around the 100ks away.

8. Steve777

Steve777 One of Us

How very unusual - a mostly blue sky. It may or may not last, the satellite shows cloud about. Still good to see.

Looking at the models, the current cycle of persistent SE winds, overcast skies and showers nearly every day looks set to end, or at least ease, from the weekend.

9. Tsunami

Tsunami One of Us

0.3mm for last 2 days. Hmmf

10. warrie

warrie One of Us

SMH has article saying 3.5GL/day releases for up to the next fortnight. Pic shows inside right spillway with water release. In dam parlance it is actually the inside left gate as sides of a river are defined as viewed when looking downstream. There used to be a 50 MW hydro power station which could release 5.2 GL/day but it was decommissioned a decade or more ago. Could be a few crowds there this weekend to view the spill or in this case the controlled release. Oh, as for walking across the dam wall on weekends, the barriers are well before the first radial gate on the S side so it's a bit of a misnomer

#5360 warrie, Jan 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    Fozzie Bear likes this.
  11. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

I’m on the way back from Noosa to the ACT and have stopped in for a few days at cruisy, laid-back Nambucca Heads. Not sure how much rain has fallen generally in this region recently, but you can all thank me later - hammering down here since we arrived yesterday, and forecast to continue pouring until the weekend when we leave :p.

12. kylep

13. warrie

warrie One of Us

BoM Sydney forecast 8.40 am update has mix of sun and cloud. Spot on for last two hours. But says light showers in pm yet there is a sprinkle near Bankstown now and the sky has only a tiny patch of blue to the W. But it will be sunny again in 30 mins IMO

14. connells

connells One of Us

It was a very pleasant surprise to see blue sky and sunshine this morning. Something to take the edge off that feral southerly.

More rain in the gauge this morning. That makes 13 out of the last 15 days since the start of my break.
    So another day where outside yard work is not possible. Ground is saturated.

15. Trail Blazer

Trail Blazer Part of the Furniture

I have been surprised by the persistence of the rain at the cricket. It's only recently started up here. Looking at the radar there's probably another hour at least until it clears at Moore Park.

16. connells

connells One of Us

SCG bathed in sunshine for a while then. Enough sun to push the temps up to the forecast maximum at nearby sites that have a name beginning with "Sydney ".

Just checked the forecast for Sydney and for the first time in a while I have not felt sick to my stomach. I might get to mow the lawn in the near future after all.

17. Donzah

Donzah Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

After a middling day in Wollongong times sure have changed.
    Currently pouring from a squall line.
    Real winter like

POW_hungry and climberman like this.
  18. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Terrey Hills radar back up

19. Sideny

Sideny Addicted

Borderline heavy rain at Casula. But reverts back to light after a few seconds of it.

20. davidg

davidg Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Moderate rain falling now in the Lower BM's, ughhh there goes my Thursday night MTB ride. Looks like a few days of sunshine from Saturday at least.

POW_hungry likes this.
  21. Steve777

Steve777 One of Us

MTB - that would be a motor torpedo boat or a mountain bike.
    ——
    After a fairly sunny morning, it closed in from around 11:00. There were some interesting, bubbly clouds visible before they swallowed the sky. The cloud has stuck around for the rest of the day, with a few showers until early afternoon. It’s great to see that the forecast can now see beyond the current pattern. Tomorrow looks like a rerun of today, Saturday touch and go then a return to what most people think of as “Summer” weather.

I recall long rainy / showery periods in the past - in Autumn mostly, or June. February 1990 had rain on 22/28 days but unlike this event some very big totals.

Homer and POW_hungry like this.
  22. Homer

Homer One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

It was great the we got some cricket in after the early delays today.
    Next few days of the test look quite promising weather wise.
    Hopefully it works out and I can enjoy my getaway, and watching the red ball test.

Steve777 likes this.
  23. Donzah

Lovely afternoon and sunset in Wollongong.
    Felt like finally the rain had left.

Narrator. He was wrong.

24. Steve777

Steve777 One of Us

Yesterday was pretty bleak weather-wise - overcast with some periods bright enough to get the cicadas going, a couple of sunny breaks later. The wind made it feel cool - non-Summer. I didn’t see any rain during the day, although I spent most of yesterday indoors. There may have been light showers I didn’t notice.

Today looks much better. The sun’s out, cloud seems to be breaking up. We’re finally in for a spell of sunny weather that will last until late next week. Looking forward to it.

EDIT: Sydney OH has just recorded its first rainless day of 2021, ending a run of 11 rain days. Measurable rain has been recorded on 24 of the 28 days since Dec 12.

#5374 Steve777, Jan 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  25. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Early Days

Ice cream vendors will be happy in Canberra next week- but it looks like a 1990s/early 2000s style heatwave rather than a post 2016 one, with peaks in the mid 30s here rather than above 40. The highest temperature in Bungendore this summer has been a measly 33C; that should be exceeded next week.

I can't remember the last summer in which 40C wasn't reached at Canberra Airport; of course prior to the early 2000s it was a rare event. The same goes for 45C at Bankstown. Still time for both to occur of course; all it will take is a couple of weeks of 'taps off' up north and we could have extreme heat developing again.

Moore Park/Kensington is a drizzle magnet in SE winds. If the cricket was moved to Sydney Olympic Park, we'd see much less rain interruptions.

DaveyDavey, Steve777 and connells like this.
  26. connells

connells One of Us

Definitely feels more like Summer this morning but the southerly is still quite feral here. It just won't quit.

Was watching the weather channel yesterday and there was mention that the country's heat engine is back on. I looked at some of the weekly forecasts for Pilbara and Gascoyne towns; mid forties for the next week. Even a smattering of high forties.

DaveyDavey and Steve777 like this.
  27. SnowBound

SnowBound One of Us

Dare I say it actually felt a little cold on my way to work this morning at 6am (Belrose)

28. Val Desire

Val Desire Addicted

I hope the intermittant showers have finally blown away from this bit of the NSW coast (Port Stephens) & can jolly well stay away for the next week...:whistle:

29. warrie

warrie One of Us

First 6 pm cloudless for exactly one month!

Fozzie Bear and kathrynsview like this.
  30. Steve777

Steve777 One of Us

And it’s still light with clear skies. You forget that the sun sets after 8:00 PM when every day a dull, grey twilight sets in around five.

Perfect Summer weather today:

31. warrie

warrie One of Us

Two in a row!! Cloudless at 6pm

32. DaveyDavey

DaveyDavey Early Days

Even though just 1 post today in this thread (now 2), that means there is no rain or storms around in which many say here "boring" weather but I regard as perfect...

Clear skies, no smog, sunny, high 20s, not too high humidity, moderate but not strong seabreeze ... Just the day to lie on the beach, walk through the park or have gin with diet tonic and lime plus many more on your balcony/porch!

OH reached a high of 27.8 - the new site definitely reflects a more accurate picture for most sites in Greater Sydney on days like today.

33. DerekHV

DerekHV Hard Yards

Very nice day, after a relatively cool night of 13.3C.
    Going for 30C tomorrow, which is average for Jan, and will only be the 2nd day above average for this month.
    No long term records at Maitland Airport, but nearby Tocal is tracking well below average.
    A spurt of warmth this week will end that.

Steve777 likes this.
  34. Steve777

Steve777 One of Us

For the month so far (10 days), Sydney OH is tracking a bit under 2° below average for both maxima and minima (1991-2020). That’s cool, but 2° doesn’t seem a big deal. However, the cool trend is much more pronounced inland. While Penrith is also tracking about 2° below average for minima, it’s tracking a big 5° below average for maxima. On the cool cloudy days we’ve been getting, there is not much temperature difference between the City and Penrith, temperatures tend to max in the low 20s across the Basin.

In December, Sydney OH temps finished close to average. Penrith finished slightly below average for minima and nearly 2° below for maxima.

There has been an absence of hot days. Penrith has not reached 35° since December 1 (when 38.5°), a big contrast to last year. It has reached the low 30s a number of times since then but Penrith people don’t bother taking off their jumper if it’s below 35. Sydney OH last reached 30° on December 28. It reached 30° six times during December but last reached 31° on November 29 (when 40.5°).

We’ve got four more warm, sunny days coming up before we enter a wetter, unsettled pattern - hopefully not like the one we’ve just left.

35. Mcbobbings

Mcbobbings Hard Yards

To give you an idea of the contrast between this year and last, here are the first 10 days of January for Penrith

Day Min Max Rain
    1 19.7 33.5 0
    2 19.3 31.4 0
    3 20.8 37.7 0
    4 21.3 48.9 0
    5 22 30.2 0
    6 18 24 0
    7 20.2 35.3 0
    8 21.9 28.8 0.4
    9 21.8 26.8 0
    10 21 40.5 0.2

Day Min Max Rain
    1 16.4 21.5 0.6
    2 16.1 22.4 0.8
    3 17 27.6 1.6
    4 19.1 28.4 2.8
    5 17.5 31.6 11
    6 19.9 26.7 0
    7 17.5 23.7 1
    8 15.5 23.2 3
    9 15.5 27.3 0.2
    10 13.7 30 0

2020 had average min of 20.6, average max of 33.7, 7 days above 30, 2 above 40. 7 nights above 20c as well. The 48.9 was the hottest temp in Sydney's history. Only .6mm of rain.

2021 on the other hand, average min of 16.8, max of 26.2. 2 days above 30, no night above 20. 21mm of rain.

36. Steve777

Steve777 One of Us

No rain or storms today and hardly any cloud, ditto for the next couple of days. Things might get “interesting” later Thursday into Friday. The weekend looks like a (hopefully brief) return to the recent pattern.

Regarding OH maxima, I too am noticing the small difference between OH and other Sydney sites, especially the Airport. Previously, on days like today (sunny and seabreezy, no hot air mass), OH would max at around 26°. When I checked, the difference between the old and new sites was often 2° in these conditions, even as high as 3°. The Airport would have been about 3° warmer. The readings now seem to be closer to what most inner Sydney people would experience.

Another thing I’ve noticed - how cool Terrey Hills has been. Today’s max was 3° below OH, yesterday’s 2° lower. Elevation difference (about 160 m) would account for about a degree.

DaveyDavey, POW_hungry and Homer like this.
  37. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons Que Sera, Sera Ski Pass: Gold

Less aircraft with Covid?

38. Adaminaby Angler

Adaminaby Angler One of Us

Maragle, NSW; 948 m AMSL; 35° 51’ 30.06” S
    December 2020 Summary (Annual)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

December:

Well below average in min temps, and slightly below in maxes. Shockingly, precip was also below average, thus making for a rare "cool + dry" combo. Overall an extremely boring and uneventful month, apart from a decent frontal event spanning the 06–08 of Dec (says a lot when a cold event was the only form of exciting weather in a "summer" month, hey). But perhaps of most prominent note this month…was the severe lack of any real heatwave whatsoever.

Annual:

Slightly above average in temps, moreso in minima. Slightly wetter than average, but all pretty much due to April. "Winter" was a shit heap; July, the warmest on record since at least 1993. Snow cover amongst the lowest recorded on the inland/western slopes of the Great Divide, due to a frequent reversal of the prevailing wind track during winter fronts; east to west, instead of the normal west to east; and thus easterly foehn winds. Worse yet—extreme frequency of rainy days relative to total precip, so lots of boring drizzle.

Anomalies (December)

• Mean Maximum: 22.4° C (–0.8° C)

• Mean Minimum: 11.0° C (–1.2° C)

• Precipitation: 63.4 mm (–14.3 mm)

Anomalies (Annual)

• Mean Maximum: 16.6° C (+0.1° C)

• Mean Minimum: 8.3° C (+0.4° C)

• Precipitation: 1,311.8 mm (+129.3 mm)

[​IMG]

39. Donzah

We've got some decent towers popping up to the west of Wollongong. Odd.

40. Donzah

41. POW_hungry

Not much more than your garden variety Cumulus Mediocris/Congestus.
    Looking pretty benign IMO.

42. connells

connells One of Us

The development NE of Canberra looks a bit less mediocre.
    I'm guessing it is forming on the trough-front that is expected to stall on the south coast.

Donzah likes this.
  43. Donzah

Yup. Lost the love as soon as I said it.

POW_hungry likes this.
  44. POW_hungry

Last rays as the sun sneaks behind the storm built up against the Southern Highlands right now.

45. SMSkier

SMSkier One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Good show leeward of the alpine - currently thunder, sparks and some rain ........posted in Southern and Alpine but plenty on social media tonight.....

46. kylep

That last one, colorful and crisp, nice!

SMSkier likes this.
  47. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

Hot’n’humid tonight, :puke:upper BMs

48. Donzah

AC on here.
    23.7 89%

49. POW_hungry

Models showing that trough right over Sydney, Southern Highlands and South coast tomorrow PM.
    Models not showing a lot of activity but I think instab will be there mid-arvo tomorrow. Cloud cover dependant IMO.

50. POW_hungry

This is GFS for Wollongong 4pm. Thermal surface heating is key IMO.

Steve777, Trail Blazer and Donzah like this.