Day to Day NSW / ACT weather

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Artarmon, Sydney North Shore
It looked a clear night when I was out a little while ago but there’s a mass of cloud off the coast with showers (including a few small orange cores) and a bit of lightning further South.

There’s a bite in the wind. At OH it’s 12° but the ‘apparent temperature’ is only 4°.

Reactions: POW Hungry

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
It looked a clear night when I was out a little while ago but there’s a mass of cloud off the coast with showers (including a few small orange cores) and a bit of lightning further South.

There’s a bite in the wind. At OH it’s 12° but the ‘apparent temperature’ is only 4°.

I can vouch for that. Was at son's football (soccer) match this afternoon at Wentworth Park in Glebe and when I checked the OH AWS at 5 pm when his game was almost finished, the app temp was 4.3 deg's. It felt like it too!
It took 15 mins in the car with the heater on on the way home for my fingers to thaw out!
That wind was bitingly cold.
That 4.3 app temp doesn't show up on the obs page as it only records the half hourly obs for posterity, not the 10 min current obs.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
This morning’s Sydney minimum, at 7.8°, was the coldest since August 29. In terms of May it wasn’t unusual apart from being relatively early in the month.

Across Sydney, it was cold but nothing out of the ordinary, with minima mostly in the range 5-8°. The wind kept going all night except in a couple of cold hollows. While the wind kept temperatures a bit higher, it definitely felt cold. Coldest was Richmond at 2.2°, with Campbelltown close behind at 3.1°.

It’s now bright, sunny and still a bit breezy.

Last edited:

DaveM

One of Us
Aug 18, 2000
Bathurst NSW
@Trail Blazer
Yes under or over 20 is my guide to many temperature and seasonal things

20 is not a temp I’m likely to see for several months now.

looks like we wimped out at around -4 this morning, apparently some light breezes at times overnight crueled the temp drop.

I reckon some cold sinks around here saw colder. Shame we don’t have a reading along the parts of town near the river flats, always chillier by a degree or two.

I came home from a Pink Floyd tribute show last night around 11.30 and it was about -1 near the river but about 1 at the airport.

it was a stunning day today though, in the sun it was no jumper required, later though a sneaky breeze got up and in the shade was definitely a bit fresher.

another neg morning coming up but the house is warm with some good wood burning

Off to Dubbo for the day tomorrow. It will feel tropical

Then in Sydney city centre again Tuesday to Friday. Leave the polar fleece at home

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
In Sydney, sub-20° maxima becoming common would be a guide to the changing season. Maxima of 20° occur occasionally throughout Winter and sub-20 very occasionally in Summer, although this is less common than it was. However, sub-20 days are the norm from about late May until around the end of August.

Another guide - the first sub-10° minimum in Sydney - normally mid to late May. Time to dig out the blankets and the heater. Of course by the time Sydney gets a sub-10 they've been common away from the coast and city for a few weeks. This year Sydney had a couple in April but they were outliers. It quickly warmed up again.

Then there’s the disappearance of the water dragons. They were out last week but didn’t see any today. I look forward to their return, likely late August.

Last edited:

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
^^^^^

Good summary above @DaveM and @Steve777 re the change of seasons. I agree with the summations.

I'm lucky that my birthday occurs around this time of year. A lovely time of year to share a lunch with the family under bright blue skies at a nice restaurant somewhere overlooking Sydney Harbour or our beaches. Or, being autumn, somewhere up in the Blue Mountains or Southern Highlands where the deciduous colours are in full display.
I've been lucky enough to have perfect weather for such a day for two decades now, weather it has been in the mountains or in the city areas.

Today we went to Chippendale to a place called Spice Alley. Highly recomended. A bit off topic but it was gorgeous sitting in a laneway eating delightful Asian cuisine in full sun on a chilly Sydney afternoon.

Best time of year in my opinion.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
@Trail Blazer
Yes under or over 20 is my guide to many temperature and seasonal things

20 is not a temp I’m likely to see for several months now.

looks like we wimped out at around -4 this morning, apparently some light breezes at times overnight crueled the temp drop.

I reckon some cold sinks around here saw colder. Shame we don’t have a reading along the parts of town near the river flats, always chillier by a degree or two.

I came home from a Pink Floyd tribute show last night around 11.30 and it was about -1 near the river but about 1 at the airport.

it was a stunning day today though, in the sun it was no jumper required, later though a sneaky breeze got up and in the shade was definitely a bit fresher.

another neg morning coming up but the house is warm with some good wood burning

Off to Dubbo for the day tomorrow. It will feel tropical

Then in Sydney city centre again Tuesday to Friday. Leave the polar fleece at home

Steady on Dave. Our forecast for tomorrow is -1 to 17. Bathurst is -1 to 13. Not to different.

We got to -2 this morning so not touch warmer than Bathurst.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
^^^^^

Good summary above @DaveM and @Steve777 re the change of seasons. I agree with the summations.

I'm lucky that my birthday occurs around this time of year. A lovely time of year to share a lunch with the family under bright blue skies at a nice restaurant somewhere overlooking Sydney Harbour or our beaches. Or, being autumn, somewhere up in the Blue Mountains or Southern Highlands where the deciduous colours are in full display.
I've been lucky enough to have perfect weather for such a day for two decades now, weather it has been in the mountains or in the city areas.

Today we went to Chippendale to a place called Spice Alley. Highly recomended. A bit off topic but it was gorgeous sitting in a laneway eating delightful Asian cuisine in full sun on a chilly Sydney afternoon.

Best time of year in my opinion.
I worked in Chippendale for 14 years.
Can be bitter as during the depths of winter.
Its a oddly cold suburb.

DaveM

One of Us
Aug 18, 2000
Bathurst NSW
Steady on Dave. Our forecast for tomorrow is -1 to 17. Bathurst is -1 to 13. Not to different.

We got to -2 this morning so not touch warmer than Bathurst.

;) Don’t worry SB it certainly won’t feel like Cairns. I will though wear a short sleeve shirt, 17 in the sun feels lovely warm to me.

Re the mins, most people don’t believe that the mins in Dubbo in winter are colder than those of Hobart. Lack of wind n cloud :thumbs:

Reactions: Snow Blowey

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Fairly brutal evening in Wollongong.
Wind has come up and its chilly at 10 degrees.
Windchill around 2 degrees outside.
Its been awhile since it was like this in the middle of may.

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
It was a clear night, with the wind keeping things warmer than otherwise would have been the case. Camden’s minimum was a relatively balmy (for there) 8.6°, just behind Sydney's 9.0°. At Richmond, where the wind did calm down for a while, it got down to 1.8° around 4:30 AM.

Another superb Autumn day coming up.

Reactions: whether and piolet

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
If the weatherman just said "same as yesterday" wouldn't they be close to right 75% of the time? :)
In Darwin during the dry season it might be 90% or more.

Even here, we sometimes get in a rut. Runs of settled, sunny weather in July and August, occasional runs of “cloudy, showers, SE winds, max 23-25°“ in Summer.

===

Another chilly morning, bottoming out at 9° at OH and the Airport, 5° at Olympic Park and Bankstown, 2-5° in the outer West. After some cloud yesterday persisting into the early evening, it’s now clear overhead but there’s a bank of cloud out to sea, coming ashore near Port Stephens.

Yowie9644

Hard Yards
May 26, 2010
Horsley, NSW, Australia
Detailed Severe TS warning out now.
upload_2021-5-12_22-23-59.png
They're going the wrong way - I've never seen cells travel to the west, its only ever been toward the east. I don't like it :)

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Another cloud-free day today after a cold start, Bankstown 5° to 21° (anomalies -4° to 0°).

Tomorrow will mark the end of the current run of cold clear nights and sunny, mild days on the coast. Starting Friday, the winds shift more S-SE as the high pressure belt does its usual trick of drifting Southwards. This will bring some cloud with warmer nights, slightly warmer than average days and maybe a few light showers. There are signs of a cold change towards the end of next week but anything can happen that far out.

Last edited:

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
After another cold, clear night and sunny early morning, grey gloom has descended. It’s now totally overcast and there’s been some light rain.

Sydney OH just missed a sixth consecutive sub-10°. Bankstown bottomed out at 7°, Olympic Park 8° with 4° at Camden and Richmond.

The models are showing nothing much until a cold front arrives in about a week’s time. This has been scaled right back from the major cold outbreak which appeared in EC and Access earlier this week.

Mcbobbings

Hard Yards
Jul 10, 2019
Macquarie Park NSW
Bit of a miss from today's forecast of 21, only topped out at 16.4 at OH. Cool and the occasional light shower here at Mac Park.

The cold front next week is nothing spectacular, looking at 850 temps of between -1 to +2 over Sydney from next Friday to following Tuesday. Would hope that there are more fronts at this time of year, hopefully more will come now that the AAO is forecast to drop to negative from next week

Reactions: Val Desire

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Low cloud rolled in here, covering the sky by about 9:00. It’s been solid overcast since then with periods of drizzle and light showers, adding up to maybe a millimetre or two. Sydney OH maxed at 16.4°, its coldest maximum since November 5. Most of Sydney finished around 16-18°.

The next few days look unremarkable, a mix of sun, cloud and light showers with average temperatures. This is expected to be followed by a couple of warm days (23-24°) before a cool down at the end of next week. Further ahead, NAEFS has a cool signal for most of Australia for the week after next: https://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/...RE_anomaly@probability@combined@week2_198.png (link will update).

Reactions: POW Hungry

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
I drove from Wollongong to Narrabeen and back today.
There were some heavy sustained showers close to the coast.
More than expected or forecast.
Seemed a little Northern Beaches-focused. Was bugger all rain here in Bondi today.
You probably followed the bulk of the coastal onshore flow this morning, otherwise it was mainly overcast in general today.

Reactions: Steve777 and Donza

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
It cleared after sunset to a fairly clear, cold-ish and fairly damp night here with a bright slightly more than half Moon. It’s down to 11.3° at OH, about 8-10° across most suburbs but nearly 13° at Richmond and Penrith where cloud persists.

It’s quite humid, with readings in the high 80s-90s percent across Sydney. If it stays reasonably clear I’d expect a foggy morning, in fact there’s probably fog about already in low-lying areas.

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
A bit of cloud kept things warmer last night than recently. Even so it was still Sydney’s 9th consecutive below average minimum - fairly unusual these days. Maxima have been a mixed bag but yesterday was a little above average, especially at OH where it briefly spiked to almost 22° around 1:30 PM.

It’s been a bit of a turnaround from the early part of the month which was characterised by mild days and nights.

After early sun this morning, it’s now mostly cloudy here. There are showers off the Sydney coast moving in from the SE, including a few small orange cores. They seem to be headed for the Northern Beaches and Central Coast.

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Some showers have moved into Sydney from the East in the past hour or so. Rain is so far restricted to the East with totals around 1-4 mm.

The BOM is still going for a maximum of 22°. Meanwhile, the models have backed away from a cold outbreak at the end of the week. The cold air will be pushed out to sea and 850 temps over Sydney will stay above 2° before quickly bouncing back.

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
It’s mild, sunny and a bit damp here. While it’s clear here, WZ Layers shows lots of fog around the Sydney Basin and in valleys.

Speaking of that fog @Steve777, here are a few pics I took at around 10.30 this morning, from Round Corner, Dural, looking over the Western Suburbs.
It spread from as far north as I could see to as far south.

upload_2021-5-25_12-55-53.png

upload_2021-5-25_12-57-30.png

upload_2021-5-25_12-58-21.png

upload_2021-5-25_13-0-26.png

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass