Day to Day NSW / ACT weather

warrie

One of Us
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
Looks to be a cloudless night for those interested in the lunar eclipse tommorow @ 9pm.
upload_2021-5-25_19-51-29.png
Cloudless all day over metro Sydney. Cumulus over Blue mtns now crossing metro which could make for a more photogenic eclipse if it doesn't thicken too much. Hot tip, watch your fave TV show and every ad go out and have a look.

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Artarmon, Sydney North Shore
The cold mornings are back in Sydney. While it only dropped to around 10-12° near the coast, inland it got down to around 3-6°.

One difference between coastal and inland sites - the wind drops right off at the latter, but near the coast it hardly ever stops. If we were to take “apparent temperature” at face value, Sydney’s 9.9° (apparent temperature around 4°) must have felt almost as cold as Camden (4°, 3°).

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Sydney sites are tracking to finish May average to a little above average for temperatures and average to below average for rainfall:

Sydney OH: 12.4° - 21.4° (-0.1 to +0.5°, 1991-2020). Rainfall 67 mm (66% of average).
Bankstown: 9.8° - 21.4° (+0.4 to +0.8°, 1968-2020). Rainfall 55 mm (87%).

The last few days of May look set to pull temperature averages back a point or two and add a few mm to rainfall totals. There will have been no significantly warm or cool temperatures. Nearly all of May’s rain fell in a wet spell from the 5th to the 8th. The rest of the month has been fairly dry.
=====

Another sunny morning after a cool start. The wind has picked up in the last hour or so and small patches of scud cloud have appeared, blowing up from the South.

Reactions: Homer

Snowmaker7

One of Us
Jul 25, 2013
Bowral, NSW
A snippet from a Weatherzone news article:

"Temperatures plunged over the eastern inland overnight into Saturday morning, probing negative double digits at Goulburn airport and Thredbo Top Station with –7 degrees.

Goulburn is known for its frigid starts, but this morning's temperature is still the coldest in nearly three years."

I can't see anything below -6.6°C at Goulburn Ap last night, very cold but certainly nothing sub negative 10. Anyone verify this? If true thats incredible for May!

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
It’s what most people think as as “Wintry” this morning: cold, overcast and windy. It’s 9° in the City with an “apparent temperature” of just 2°.

The cloud seems to be coastal, there’s clearer sky to the West.
Wasn’t much good at the beach - was definitely “wintery“ but not in a good way. Wind was more south (and less SW) than expected, surf was nowhere near as big (and wasn’t really any good). Clouds and some rain visible out to sea:

DDC100FA-1810-4513-B8D0-4519B09B9B39.jpeg

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Its been a long time since we've had such a miserable bitter day as this .
It certainly felt freezing near the beach. The car thermometer was showing 14-15° but the wind cut right through.

Sydney’s maximum today seems to have been 16.0° from a spike during a sunny period early in the afternoon. The last colder maximum was 15.6° on November 5.

Reactions: Eddy and Donza

DaveM

One of Us
Aug 18, 2000
Bathurst NSW
This morning it was 4 degrees in my bedroom

No wonder I was looking for another blankie

Airport got to -4.5 I strongly suspect we were colder than that.

We don’t heat our bedrooms, we sleep better if it’s cool. We have our bedroom closed off to the living area heating.

We also sleep with our windows partially open.

In winter the bedroom always cools to around 6 to 8 on cool nights.

If visitors come we put a column heater in or near their bedroom at the other end of the house.

Went for a drive to Neville today (south of Blayney and around 950 m ask, left here (Bathurst) at about 14 or 15 degrees, was about 9 around Neville. But lovely, sunny and no wind- so it felt pleasant.

looking at another big frost tomorrow too, another -4 or so

warrie

One of Us
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
A snippet from a Weatherzone news article:

"Temperatures plunged over the eastern inland overnight into Saturday morning, probing negative double digits at Goulburn airport and Thredbo Top Station with –7 degrees.

Goulburn is known for its frigid starts, but this morning's temperature is still the coldest in nearly three years."

I can't see anything below -6.6°C at Goulburn Ap last night, very cold but certainly nothing sub negative 10. Anyone verify this? If true thats incredible for May!
It's either an innocent mistake or poor knowledge or maybe both. Since when do decimal points count as double figures? Has to be -10 or less to be double digits. Anyone else getting over the decimal place max and mins on Sydney TV weather reports?

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
It’s been a bit like yesterday, mostly cloudy after some early sun, but not as windy. Like yesterday, most of Sydney seems to have maxed around 15-17°.

It looks like this pattern ends after today. Then, looking at the models - nothing much happens for a while. Possibly a bit of rain towards the end of the week.

Yowie9644

Hard Yards
May 26, 2010
Horsley, NSW, Australia
Frigid weather yesterday but a solid southerly swell, which meant the Kiama Blowhole was working! Naturally I didn't get the 'best' blow on camera - I never do - but this one isn't terrible, especially considering it was bang on low tide. It was as big as I've ever seen it on on Saturday night but it was cold, dark and blowing a gale, so I was forced to appreciate just how much water was being thrown so high into the air via the headlights of my car. I wasn't going to get out of the warm!
20210530_142326_031_saved.jpg

Sideny

One of Us
Jul 16, 2019
South-Western Sydney
GFS throwing up a Southern Tablelands and Southern Highlands classic snow event for early next week. Exciting to see, would drop 20cm in the Highlands and Goulburn area and 50cm+ for places like Bombala. Oh well, will be gone tomorrow...:rolleyes:

I'm sure its just GFS resolution in play here but its comical to see sea level snow in the illawarra.
upload_2021-5-31_17-16-55.png

Yowie9644

Hard Yards
May 26, 2010
Horsley, NSW, Australia
I'm sure its just GFS resolution in play here but its comical to see sea level snow in the illawarra.
upload_2021-5-31_17-16-55.png

Some rusted-on Illawarriors would have you believe it has snowed at the top of Mt Warrigal - at about 82m above sea level! I call BS.

I have driven through slushy sleet at Bulli Tops, have seen melting snow on the ground at Robertson, and thought it was Christmas when a mass of fine hail dumped at Horsley, but AFAIK, it has never actually snowed on the Illawarra coastal plain.

Happy to be proven wrong....

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Frigid weather yesterday but a solid southerly swell, which meant the Kiama Blowhole was working! Naturally I didn't get the 'best' blow on camera - I never do - but this one isn't terrible, especially considering it was bang on low tide…
That’s a nice shot. Good work.

I took a drive down to the seaside on Saturday (Maroubra). The waves were as big as I’ve seem for ages.

Regarding capturing shots, what I sometimes do with lightning is point my iPhone at the sky during a thunderstorm and take a short video. I might get lucky, then I can go through the video frame by frame to get the best shot. Best I can do without special equipment.

====

A beautiful day after a chilly start. Sydney has finished the month virtually spot-on recent averages: 12.1° - 20.9° for anomalies of -0.2 to 0.0 (1991-2020). An usual cooler than average month, albeit marginally so. Rainfall finished about two thirds of average.

Today, as on most sunny days when nothing much was happening, the new OH site maxed a degree or two warmer than other Sydney sites.

Last edited:
Reactions: Homer

DaveM

One of Us
Aug 18, 2000
Bathurst NSW
In Bathurst we ended up with the nights almost a degree below average but days about the same above.

So statistically prob average.

rain below average, about 1/3 below at around 27mm be 41 avge.

A solid run of -3 to -5 lately brought the min down from milder temps.

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
In Sydney we’ve had some cloudy days and days with a small amount of rain in the last few weeks, which somewhat masks the fact that it has been fairly dry here. Sydney had 60 mm of rain from May 5 to 7 but only 7 mm since then (25 days). It hasn’t rained here since the 25th, with a mostly cloudy weekend yielding not a drop.

Bankstown is similar, with 47 mm of its May total of 55 mm falling from the 5th to the 7th.

May 2021 Summary

iUzKXdM.jpg

VV1m7DK.jpg

Bang-on average in both temps and precip; however, the first half of the month was strikingly warm (by South West Slopes standards), making for a fairly variable month. Some mediocre rain events here and there—nothing to write home about.

The max temp on the 16th @ Hunters Hill unfortunately ran afoul of the dreaded 9 AM reset; was just 4.0° C before the reset (easily the most wintry day of the month—struggled above 2° C all day). I recorded 0.7 cm of wet snow/sleet on the 15th, so my first official "snowy day" of 2021.

Anomalies @ Hunters Hill (1993–2020)

• Mean Maximum: 12.0° C (+0.2° C)

• Mean Minimum: 5.7° C (+0.3° C)

• Precipitation: 109.0 mm (110.00%)

R8QGG8s.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass