Day to Day NSW / ACT weather

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Artarmon, Sydney North Shore
After a cold start, the cloud mostly stayed away today, allowing the temperature to rise to around 22° at most Sydney sites. A max of 72° was unusual in Winter back when degrees were Fahrenheit.

The pattern ends today, with some cloud and rain moving in tomorrow, although it won’t cool down much. Next week looks interesting, with a cutoff low and cold air moving across the State around mid next week.

EDIT - forecast rainfall for next two days:
  • Sydney: 7-23 mm
  • Penrith: 6-16

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Raw and overcast this morning. Light rain started here about an hour ago. It's about 11-12° across Sydney, although Bellambi reached18.6° before 10:00 AM. Maybe the Bellambites got a bit of early sunshine. Anyway, I'm surprised that the BOM are still going for a max of 18° for Sydney. We'll see how it goes.

Falls around Sydney have mostly been about 1-2 mm, with some heavier falls in the SW.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Raw and overcast this morning. Light rain started here about an hour ago. It's about 11-12° across Sydney, although Bellambi reached18.6° before 10:00 AM. Maybe the Bellambites got a bit of early sunshine. Anyway, I'm surprised that the BOM are still going for a max of 18° for Sydney. We'll see how it goes.

Falls around Sydney have mostly been about 1-2 mm, with some heavier falls in the SW.
Yeah we had a small period of sun.
However a squall has announced the arrival of the rain.

Reactions: Homer and Steve777

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.
F27CCDB6-43A4-4685-A911-1C25A04A9D2E.png

Hopecast for next Wednesday

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Meteye wasn’t so bullish with snow for the Central Tablelands next week. Outside the Alpine areas, it’s now just shows a pixel for snow near Shooters Hill next Thursday.

===

Sydney’s max of 13.4° was colder than any max last year (coldest 13.6° on August 7). That is, assuming that it doesn’t warm up under cloud overnight or get clobbered by the reset. Bankstown reached just 12.9°, Richmond 11.8°, but all sites are still close to their maximum. Falls around Sydney have been around 5-9 mm, lighter on the Northern Beaches, heavier South and West.

Here’s the view from Tunks Hill around 3:00 PM. The Chatswood skyline, 5 km distant, is lost in the rain and mist.

warrie

One of Us
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
2 hours of sunshine but altostratus has rolled in, wind chill has it at 14.4 at Bankstown. The oyster has closed up.

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yes, our beautiful sunny morning has been swallowed up by a thick cloud band moving in from the SW. Still, it passed 20° again at most Sydney sites earlier, making it 3 days of 20°+ out of 4 so far this Winter.

Yesterday was unusual. It wasn't a cold air mass. It was just that thick cloud rolled in around dawn after a partly cloudy night, with persistent light rain, which stuck around until evening, preventing any warming. In the Illawarra where there was some early sun, it got to 17-18° in places.

Reactions: POW Hungry

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Yes, our beautiful sunny morning has been swallowed up by a thick cloud band moving in from the SW. Still, it passed 20° again at most Sydney sites earlier, making it 3 days of 20°+ out of 4 so far this Winter.

Yesterday was unusual. It wasn't a cold air mass. It was just that thick cloud rolled in around dawn after a partly cloudy night, with persistent light rain, which stuck around until evening, preventing any warming. In the Illawarra where there was some early sun, it got to 17-18° in places.
We had 2 hours of Sun here in E-Burbs yesterday.
Still felt like the coldest June day in ages, by midday though.

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
I was driving up to the Central Coast starting before dawn this morning. The car thermometer showed 6-7° on the upper North Shore. As the sun rose over the M1 Freeway on the ridge it was clear skies and as low as 4°. The valleys where I could see them were full of fog. It warmed to a beautiful afternoon.

I see most Sydney sites maxed at 19-20°, OH being a bit of a hotspot at 21°.

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
Rather than go off topic and clog up the actual event threads for this weeks event, I just thought I'd ask a few questions in the NSW Daily chat thread for discussion, and get some local thoughts.

This weeks event looks kind of massive if some of the models come off. 50 cm fall totals of snow for regions that have barely had 10 cm's fo years. Total chaos if that happens.

When was the last time that anyone can remember a forecast like this?
During the 70's, I remember news reports of a massive foot of snow in Cooma (and more in Bombala), and in the 80's, another event the same in Armidale.

Does anyone have memories of these two events?
Could this week be as epic as I remember?

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Rather than go off topic and clog up the actual event threads for this weeks event, I just thought I'd ask a few questions in the NSW Daily chat thread for discussion, and get some local thoughts.

This weeks event looks kind of massive if some of the models come off. 50 cm fall totals of snow for regions that have barely had 10 cm's fo years. Total chaos if that happens.

When was the last time that anyone can remember a forecast like this?
During the 70's, I remember news reports of a massive foot of snow in Cooma (and more in Bombala), and in the 80's, another event the same in Armidale.

Does anyone have memories of these two events?
Could this week be as epic as I remember?
I feel the advances in models and online observations is a factor to consider when comparing to historical events.

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
I feel the advances in models and online observations is a factor to consider when comparing to historical events.

Of course, but I remember dad bringing the evening newspaper home and seeing extraordinary pics of snow on the front and intermediate pages.
That's all we had in the 70's. I also remember seeing nightly news video of the deep snow in Cooma for that one event I mentioned.

Reactions: whether

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
foot of snow in Cooma (and more in Bombala), and in the 80's, another event the same in Armidale
Mid to late 80’s (don’t remember exactly other than it was before we put our van in the park in Berridale) I remember driving back to Sydney from the snow the day after a massive snow-in-strange-places event and there was almost complete coverage on the hills down to the road at Lake George and - more impressively - all around the (old) truck checking stations at Marulan, to the extent people were tobogganing there.

Had plenty of trips down/back with snow south of Canberra but that was exceptional for me as to how much snow there was that far north. One side of my family is from Bowral and there are plenty of stories (and old photos) of significant dumps there but from a pretty long while ago. When I used to visit my grandparents there I can only remember a couple of dustings - plenty of massive frosts but it doesn’t get much snow very often.

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
Mid to late 80’s (don’t remember exactly other than it was before we put our van in the park in Berridale) I remember driving back to Sydney from the snow the day after a massive snow-in-strange-places event and there was almost complete coverage on the hills down to the road at Lake George and - more impressively - all around the (old) truck checking stations at Marulan, to the extent people were tobogganing there.

Had plenty of trips down/back with snow south of Canberra but that was exceptional for me as to how much snow there was that far north. One side of my family is from Bowral and there are plenty of stories (and old photos) of significant dumps there but from a pretty long while ago. When I used to visit my grandparents there I can only remember a couple of dustings - plenty of massive frosts but it doesn’t get much snow very often.

Great info Ted. I have similar memories of certain trips to Jindy. Not so much heavy dumps of snow but some supremely frozen days, with day long fogs. Stuff not even thought possible for those that never leave Sydney.
There has been several times I have texted people in Sydney that I was in Kalkite, looking out the window watching it snow, and they were experiencing +20 degrees.
Also, I remember leaving Kalkite one morning, after a week of skiing, It was snowing there as I left. I got back to Sydney around 4 pm, The temp was about 18 deg's in Sydney. No one believed me when I described the conditions when I left Kalkite.

Wavey

One of Us
Jul 3, 2019
Wollongong, NSW
Do winter days ever get any better than today?
I was thinking along these lines yesterday while I was at the beach, it was an exceptionally clear and calm day. It's no wonder I couldn't find a park near the main Wollongong beach so had to go a bit further afield. And great pic of the Autumn colours too.

Great to read these stories of old snow events, these last few posts remind me of the Snow Ramblings thread from WZ.

Yowie9644

Hard Yards
May 26, 2010
Horsley, NSW, Australia
I remember a really good dump in Jindy in 1983, was staying in a cabin in the caravan park and woke to about 15cms. The showers were freezing!
IIRC, 1986 was the only time I have ever seen obvious white stuff visible on the Illawarra escarpment when looking at from the coast. It was of course up around the Robertson area, and it was a bitterly cold day down in Warilla & Barrack Heights where I was viewing it from. Have never seen snow up there from down here since.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
IIRC, 1986 was the only time I have ever seen obvious white stuff visible on the Illawarra escarpment when looking at from the coast. It was of course up around the Robertson area, and it was a bitterly cold day down in Warilla & Barrack Heights where I was viewing it from. Have never seen snow up there from down here since.
I've seen it a few times. Though its usually from a Sou east flow into a inland cold pool.
20040718_shellharbour.jpg

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Beautiful sunrise in Wollongong has turned into a inky grey sky.
Will struggle to get to the top temp.

tastim

Hard Yards
May 10, 2018
I think the op will be lucky if we get anything. Moisture is basically gone by what the bom is saying. Oh well maybe next time

warrie

One of Us
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
Sydney sunny now as southbound cloudmass moves down the coast and by the look of the radar will curl in over the NSW Alps. Crookwell snow clouds moving east and the whole image shows good rotation centred over Canberra. Make that a little further west over Tumut.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass