Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Sandon point..
20210729_141248.jpg

Jac0b

Hard Yards
Jul 5, 2019
Western Sydney
I think there is something fishy going on at Bellambi (pardon the pun). I have noticed it as warm as Obs Hill and Sydney Airport on some days. It's consistently 1-2C warmer than Kiama, a difference that is usually negligible or even slightly cooler at Bellambi.
Yep I have definitely noticed this too. Others from Wollongong have pointed out that nothing has changed around it, so it's probably a systematic error to do with the platinum resistance thermometer (PRT).

The resistance of the PRT changes quite linearly with temperature, so by measuring the resistance, temperature can be easily calculated from a linear function. They are extremely accurate and have low drift over time, BUT one major drawback is they are quite fragile. Even a tiny contamination or a vibration or shock of some sort can change the properties slightly, which changes the resistance slightly and causes the calculated temperature to be slightly off (1-2°C).

Maybe the Stevenson screen got knocked by something a few months ago?

AshestoAshes

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Voyager Point NSW
Ahaha i only 'tactically' got up at 10am, lowest temperature this year -0.8 degrees. First subzero of the year as well been a long time coming. Won't suprise me if we see more sub-zeros some very big highs moving over Eastern Australia in the next two weeks.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

warrie

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
Meanwhile that huge bank of altocumulus has blown across NSW arriving over Sydney as the NRL started. Time lapse of it in obs thread. There goes the meteor shower obs.

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
A new high res doppler radar at Hillston now on the BoM site.

Yay....... another radar for NSW!!!!! Thanks for posting mate!!!
There's only one more to come I believe that has been promised - the one out near Wellington/Parkes.
These will fill in a huge hole in the radar gaps that have been missing in NSW for so long.
Maybe 1 more is needed near Port Macquarie, and Wagga can be upgraded to a full doppler.
Otherwise, we'll have most of our large state covered within reason.

Billy Bob

Addicted
Nov 23, 2020
Bungendore
Good to see Hillston online. I am hanging out for the Parkes radar; both should make for interesting viewing come storm season.

-7 here yesterday morning again, with frost and icy puddles lingering till about 11 AM. The warmth hasn't yet materialised today with a bank of middle level cloud hanging around and even some light showers, coming after a lower than expected -2C morning. But sunny breaks are around so we should see the temp rise sharply soon (currently around 11).

Hasn't been mentioned much here yet, but keep an eye on Bourke and surrounds. We could see the NSW July record under threat today. Already 28C there so on target for my forecast 31. Sydney could actually get to the high 20s tomorrow as that front is hanging back on the latest model runs. But no records will fall of course as the calendar changes to August.

Billy Bob

Addicted
Nov 23, 2020
Bungendore
It hit 31.8C at Bourke. I think that may be a new July record for NSW. A shocking temperature especially in a negative IOD year. But since it's not Sydney or Brisbane, it will receive little media attention, the same with the record heat all across northern Aus in previous weeks which has generated this hot airmass.

This Twitter feed is worth following. It covers both hot and cold temperature extremes across the world; of course there's much more of the former:

Some warmth down this way as well which went well above the BOM's expectations for the Southern Tablelands ('maximum temperatures from 13 to 17' this morning). Nerriga hit a round 20.0C which is just shy of the record as far as I'm aware (20.2 at the old site in July 1975). Moss Vale 19.4 and Goulburn AP 18.9. Amazingly Bungendore only got to 15.2 as that middle level cloud persisted to some degree; even Porters Retreat on the OP equalled that temp. If you look at the BSCH maps you can see a sharp temp gradient at both 850 hPa and 925 hPa between Goulburn and Canberra.

Tomorrow looks like being the warm one for the coast from the Illawarra northwards, assuming cloud stays away. The North Coast should get the hottest temps. Some early season heat thresholds may be broken but no August records; the August 2009 heatwave (for the North Coast) and the August 1995 heatwave (for central and southern NSW) have set pretty high bars.

Jac0b

Hard Yards
Jul 5, 2019
Western Sydney
Bourke has reached 31.5°, smashing its July record by over 2° (old and new sites - data since 1871).

Cloud over Sydney has largely cleared, with temps now around 22° at many sites. The forecast of 24° now looks likely.
That's a huge record margin for data since 1871!

I did a search and the closest comparison I can find to that record in August is 5th - 7th August 1973, where the max temps were 29.0, 30.4 and 31.0.

And 11th - 13th Aug 1946, where the max temps were 30.0, 32.8 and 34.4.

Maybe we're looking at high 20's tomorrow in Sydney (if high cloud doesn't spoil stuff)?

Jac0b

Hard Yards
Jul 5, 2019
Western Sydney
Tomorrow looks like being the warm one for the coast from the Illawarra northwards, assuming cloud stays away. The North Coast should get the hottest temps. Some early season heat thresholds may be broken but no August records; the August 2009 heatwave (for the North Coast) and the August 1995 heatwave (for central and southern NSW) have set pretty high bars.

Sometimes when I'm talking to some older people I know about memorable weather events they frequently mention August 1995, about how strangely out-of season that was. Two weeks of high 20's and low 30's in late winter. Then September went very cold again. Fascinating how the weather works.

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Artarmon, Sydney North Shore
Sydney looks like finishing July with an average temperature range of 9.0° to 18.2°, just a shade over the 30-year average of 8.9° to 17.9°. Averages are from the old site but the comparison is still valid because the site move made very little difference to Winter average temperatures.

This goes somewhat against the general perception of this being a cold, bleak Winter. It actually is cool compared to recent years. In fact it was tracking to be a rare cooler than average month until warmth in the last days of the month hauled the monthly stats up over the longer term averages.

It’s been a dry month, with under half of the 30-year average rainfall, nearly all of which fell in the first half of the month.

Reactions: Trail Blazer

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Sometimes when I'm talking to some older people I know about memorable weather events they frequently mention August 1995, about how strangely out-of season that was. Two weeks of high 20's and low 30's in late winter. Then September went very cold again. Fascinating how the weather works.
August 1995 was quite exceptional. The first half of the month was cool, following on from a cold July. It suddenly flipped into a very warm pattern mid-month, with 8/16 days passing 25°. Not only that, it was Sydney’s only ever rainless month, before or since.

Then the weather flipped again. September was cold and very wet, October was mild, November average and the Summer that followed cool, cloudy and fairly but not exceptionally wet.

Reactions: Donza

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
A cool southerly is working its way up the coast and currently located near Shellharbour somewhere. There is a large variation across the region in the different airmasses. Bellambi 25.3c , Albion Park 24c , but Nowra just 14.9c , Jervis Bay 13.7c, and Ulladulla 12.9c. Temps to drop into the mid to high teens in Wollongong soon.

Isc FB

Reactions: Steve777 and Homer

Billy Bob

Addicted
Nov 23, 2020
Bungendore
Yes, models have a summer like southerly charging up the coast this afternoon. Will not make it to the inland though as the westerly is still cooler than the coastal airmass. Coffs Harbour has already topped 30, though it must have been a very brief spike at that temp. It's in sandy soil and so is prone to brief temp spikes (the same occurs with minima).

I was only a kid in August 1995 and so don't remember it much, though the warm rainless weather was timely as we were undertaking home renovations at the time. 1995/96 was a fairly cool summer as Steve pointed out; there was a run of mild summers between the El Ninos in 1993/1994 and 1997/1998.

Reactions: Homer

Billy Bob

Addicted
Nov 23, 2020
Bungendore
That southerly surge has reached Cooma AP; below 4C a moment ago with precip. Could be snowing on Brown Mountain with those numbers (maybe sleet/wet snow at Nimmitabel). Not a chase worthy event but it pays to keep a close watch on the models for these 'backdoor' changes. Canberra will not see that southerly at all.

Reactions: Wavey and Homer

Wavey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Wollongong, NSW
Pretty weird day here, very warm morning and even during the very light rain about an hour ago it was pretty warm. Starting to clear up again as well. While we are still sitting in a warm westerly, it has been freezing cold in Kiama for hours with the southerly.

@Donza I hung my washing out early this morning and just took most of it in because it was dry.

Edit: clouding over again; it's all moving pretty fast.

Reactions: wernerk and Homer

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
Pretty quiet there. You should have seen the Blue Mile when I went swimming this morning, you wouldn't even know COVID was a thing. I've only seen it busier in the summer school holidays when it's like 35+ degrees.

I can't like this post.
I know people want to get out and about, but geez.
And, I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about the Bondi types.
Good to see you went and had a swim.

Wavey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Wollongong, NSW
I can't like this post.
I know people want to get out and about, but geez.
And, I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about the Bondi types.
Good to see you went and had a swim.
Yeah I was completely shocked. Another worrying thing was the amount of people waiting outside the coffee shops near the beach. One in particular must've had about 20-25 people waiting there. And we wonder why case numbers aren't going down.

I got in and straight out and won't be heading to North Beach again during lockdown.

Some cold temps down the coast, 10 at Moruya and 11 at Ulladulla with rain.

Reactions: Homer

Billy Bob

Addicted
Nov 23, 2020
Bungendore
That southerly pulse has actually reached Tuggeranong. Amazingly EC picked this exactly right. Meanwhile, I'm back in sunshine and temps are heading north again after the frontal passage. Winds calming too, so the convergence zone is close. EC does not think winds will switch southerly here. There isn't much cold air to the west with this system, for example Melbourne is still pretty warm.

When you get these southerly backdoors it usually means there's snow about in Tassie, and sure enough the Anglers Alliance cams make for nice viewing:

A more traditional westerly cold front is in the works for Tues/Weds. EC currently predicts a light snowfall for Shooters on Wednesday morning, with heavier falls for the high country above Maragle and Nurenmerenmong.

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
It’s cooled down here but it seems that the real change hasn’t arrived yet. It’s still around 19° in Sydney, down from a max of around 25-26°. However, it’s only around 14° at coastal sites in the Illawarra (Pt Kembla, Kiama). Point Perpendicular is only 11°.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass