Day to Day NSW / ACT weather

Billy Bob

Addicted
Nov 23, 2020
Bungendore
BoM going for a measly 5–10 mm with 1° / 5° C here on Wed.

I think it might be more than that. It's a fairly solid westerly stream that's setting itself up. Time will tell I guess. Temps might be marginal for snow at your elevation.

That southerly pulse did in fact make it here. Temp down from 12 to 8 and it's very gloomy. A few weak convective cells have marked the change around Canberra, though there isn't enough heat in the day to make them more significant. This type of day in early spring would result in a surprise storm or two.

Reactions: Homer

Adaminaby Angler

One of Us
Ski Pass
July 2021 Summary

alGcSSY.jpg

J5z7ybn.jpg

Cold and very wet, with a high frequency of W/NW frontal systems and likewise a considerable amount of snowfalls: the heaviest of these was a staggering 29.8 cm on the 24th–25th; followed by 16.4 cm on the 17th; 6.8 cm on the 3rd–5th, and 3.8 cm on the 18th. July 2020 to compare averaged almost 3° C (!) warmer and had only a trace snowy day as opposed to 7 snowy days—and was over 200 mm (!) lesser in precip.

Anomalies @ Hunters Hill (1993–2020)

• Mean Maximum: 6.5° C (–0.9° C)

• Mean Minimum: 1.6° C (–0.4° C)

• Precipitation: 265.6 mm (176.2%)
EZrBCV6.jpg
^Mind you, the 25th actually struggled to surpass 1° C during the daylight hours and remained well below 0° C until the mid-late afternoon, but had increased sharply after dawn on the 26th and thus ran afoul of the 9 AM reset.

Ben K

Addicted
Jul 4, 2019
Central Coast, NSW
Despite the very wet first quarter of the year, we are now running slightly below average in the year-to-date rainfall totals thanks to the quite dry conditions since April.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Artarmon, Sydney North Shore
I see there’s been a bit of rain overnight, mostly a few mm across Sydney, a bit less to the North and South. There were heavier falls in the Central West, some over 10 mm.

It was Sydney’s first rain in 11 days and first fall over a millimetre in 17.

Mild and sunny here now.

Reactions: Flathead

Wavey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Wollongong, NSW
I’d love to know what the wind run has been recently. It feels like we’ve had a lot of wind over the past fortnight
Yeah I'd be keen to know as well.

Getting pretty over being woken up through the night by the wind, has happened on more nights than not in the last 2 weeks or so. Only way to get back to sleep has been listening to music or podcasts to drown out the wind noise.

Wavey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Wollongong, NSW
Thanks Connells.

The average wind run last month in this area was surprisingly not much hugher than normal: 386km per day (avg 366.6km) for Albion Park and 374 (avg 367.5km) for Bellambi. So about 16km/h per day.

Reactions: Trail Blazer

Billy Bob

Addicted
Nov 23, 2020
Bungendore
Too much S'ly with this one and not enough cold air to boot - promptly shafted

I actually made the trip out to Nurenmerenmong to check it out. None settled at your elevation (I think I know where your place is) but a few cm above 1200 m past Powerline Road. Evidence of a light settling at Laurel Hill too, with a bit settled on logs etc. as I drove through. Certainly not an impressive fall by your standards. Not sure how the OP fared with this system but could have had a bit more than you on this occasion (!) given the reports of snow as low as Orange. Had the road to myself of course, as it's a 25 km dead end according to the helpful sign at the Tooma Rd base.

The Paddys Falls were a sight to see and much more impressive than the snow.

Yes it's a more SW'ly system- the Canberra rain shadow was in full force today. Nothing but sun all day in Bungendore but still didn't get past our forecast 9C. Even a bit of classic Cooma lee cloud right on sunset as I made my way back home.

Billy Bob

Addicted
Nov 23, 2020
Bungendore
I was wondering how you managed to escape fire damage at Maragle, AA? It looks like some miraculous efforts were involved. Or did you move there after the fires?

Mount Boyce windchill is pretty savage on days like this. But we do need a crowdfunded station on Shooters Hill fire tower; I think that would put Mt Boyce in the shade. I'm not sure who owns the site. There are private stations on a few mountains in Victoria such as Mount Delegate, possibly run by the CFS (VIC).

Adaminaby Angler

One of Us
Ski Pass
I was wondering how you managed to escape fire damage at Maragle, AA? It looks like some miraculous efforts were involved. Or did you move there after the fires?

I moved back in long after the fires—in June 2020. Repair work was underway shortly after the torching and many pines re-planted (quite a lot survived however as the fire moreso targetted the GDR ridge line). I've owned it as a forestry block but recently mixed it with grazing after de-stocking at Anglers Reach. It's a lot closer to my chief employment area (Tumut).

In much of 2018 (around when I signed up for WZ forums, as some would remember) I was stationed near Gurnang/Vulcan state forests accommodated on a property. Lots of travelling involved with forestry work…but we're talking upwards $250 per day on piece rate.

Reactions: Homer

Wavey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Wollongong, NSW
Clear skies and little or no wind. Basically no weather. Here’s the view from Lane Cove Weir around 2:45 PM.

234484-AA-CEAC-43-CD-AC67-F33-B1-D6-EA925.jpg

By mid afternoon it was quite warm, around 20-21°, after a chilly start. There were pockets of cooler air still in thickly forested hollows.
Nice pic Steve. It might be no weather but it certainly is beautiful weather. A light sea breeze in the afternoon here, but back to quite gusty winds tonight.

Yeah AA some pretty interesting temperature variations around the place. To add to your observations, there was also quite a difference between pretty short distances. Goulburn only reached 13.5C due to the lack of topography to the west, while Braidwood reached 16.6 and Tuggeranong 16.9- all at similar elevations.

Further north where there was a bit more humidity (and therefore probably full cloud), it only reached 11.0C in Bathurst.

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
There are a few light showers about the central part of the NSW coast, from about Forster to Shellharbour. Sydney totals have been modest so far, just a millimetre or two near the coast, nothing inland, up to 6 mm on the Northern Beaches.

Gleno71

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Gold Coast, Queensland
wow it only takes a puff of a SE wind for the showers and cloud to return. You would think after weeks of westerlies, it would take a lot more for showers to develop given how dry the atmosphere has been

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
While there's nothing much happening (including with the weather) I thought I'd review my storm spreadsheet.

1/7/2020 - 30/6/2021 was a poor storm year in terms of both quantity and quality, at least where I was. I observed 20 thunderstorms on 19 days at or near home and none elsewhere.

The distribution was:
  • August 12th
  • October: 12th, 24th, 31st(2)
  • November 12th
  • December 1st, 2nd, 5th, 26th, 28th, 29th
  • January 4th, 5th
  • February 1st, 25th
  • March 8th, 12th, 18th
  • May 12th
My definition of "storm" is loose - basically rain plus audible thunder which I observe myself. If I slept through it (as I suspect I did in the early June ECL) I don't count it.

The storm season got off to a good start in October, with four storms in three weeks. The most active period was over Christmas-New Year, with five storms in a fortnight. Other than that storms were rather few and far between. The only storms that I rated greater than 4/10 were the two in early January. Some of the events were quite marginal.

I've started a new worksheet for 2021-22. It has one entry so far, July 16.

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
A decidedly chilly day today. 100% overcast since dawn, periods of drizzle or light showers and a light breeze making it feel even colder.
It has been like one of the summer days after a southerly, but 8 - 10 degrees cooler.
Maxed out at only 14.8 deg's and currently 13.6 deg's.
Very dull, but it is nice to see a "little" bit of weather for a change.
The warm up this week will be lovely, before heading back to average temps towards the end of the week.

Gleno71

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Gold Coast, Queensland
Just looking at the New Zealands met service page sheds some light to our overcast day. It's a shame the BOM dont have more in depth synoptic charts . It clearly shows a cold front over sydney which explains our weather, not because of SE winds from a high.

Screenshot 2021-08-08 12.57.25(2).png

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
Just looking at the New Zealands met service page sheds some light to our overcast day. It's a shame the BOM dont have more in depth synoptic charts . It clearly shows a cold front over sydney which explains our weather, not because of SE winds from a high.

I love the Kiwi synoptic charts. So much information.

Compared to this.....
1628407221036.png

Reactions: Wavey and Gleno71

Billy Bob

Addicted
Nov 23, 2020
Bungendore
Certainly colder than expected today with a max just over 10 here and almost no sunshine. Unusual for here in an easterly. Min of -3 too before the cloud moved in so quite a cold mean temp. This will be the last winter day for quite some time. Spring will be in the air for everyone this week. Canberra has an outside chance of reaching 20 on Wednesday; Moss Vale and Nerriga should do it. Should stay under 20 here, though.

I can vouch for the warmth in Cooma on Friday- big NW Foehn and very mild. I judged the temps to be around 16-17 by feel and it looks like that’s what it reached. Bungendore was only 14 on Friday, half a degree warmer than Goulburn which it usually is in a westerly. Not the first time Bathurst has been a lot cooler than here this winter, though the July averages for Bathurst and Goulburn were a dead heat. Bathurst becomes warmer from September onwards as we get more easterly weather and is usually warmer in a NW’ly.

BTW- that’s more an occlusion on the Metservice charts. Would certainly explain the unusually persistent gloom today, with drizzle hanging about the Tinderries. I am sure there was drizzle further east as well.

DerekHV

Hard Yards
Dec 14, 2019
Aberglasslyn (Maitland) NSW
Daylength is starting to increase quite rapidly now. The darkest quarter of the year (roughly May 5 - August 5) is finished, with astronomical twilight starting at the south pole a few days ago.
Yes, I'd noticed that, travelling back down from Far NE NSW today, and back home.
Things definitely on the up in that department.
Cold enough this evening, before things warm back up during the week to 23-24C.

Reactions: Wavey and Homer

Wavey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Wollongong, NSW
Wake me up when the storm season starts again.
I don't even count on there being a storm season nowadays. A storm is a bonus, but down here at least, most summers you'd be pushing it to call it a season. More like a few sporadic stormy days here and there. The Central Coast and Hunter does seem to do a lot better than here though.

Anyway, I agree it was nice to have a cooler drizzly day yesterday but also, bring on the warmth that's coming for the next few days!

Billy Bob

Addicted
Nov 23, 2020
Bungendore
I do think this storm season has a bit of potential- at least inland. Once surface temps get above 20 on the tablelands and in the 30s on the coast, storms are likely, given the amount of moisture around inland. Even today the clouds have a bit of lift, courtesy of that weak surface trough near the coast which NZ Metservice kindly plotted yesterday.

Storms don't really kick off until after the equinox, though, unless there is a significant heatwave followed by a strong cold front. This week we will have the heat but the following cold front is almost a non-event with temps still above average on Thurs/Fri. August temps are near certain to finish above average since the back half of August is usually much warmer than the start, perhaps an 'uberwarm' month of +2C or more (we're overdue for one). Surprisingly the warmest August on record for max temp is not 1995 but 1982, with 16.8C (1991-2020 average is 13.4). 1995 was only 15.6 at the Airport, due to a cold start to the month:

https://www.weatherzone.com.au/climate/station.jsp?lt=site&lc=70263 (Goulburn TAFE site)
https://www.australianweathernews.com/data/archive/70/1995_08.HTM (August 1995 obs)

warrie

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney

That is a stationary front along NSW east coast. Cold front triangles on opposite of line side to warm front hemispheres. Quite a few about when you peruse the rest of the map. The battle between the warm and cold airmasses is at an impasse so the weather along the front stays the same until one or the other mass gets the upper hand. Hence the continued dreary day in the metro yesterday pm.

Reactions: Gleno71 and Homer
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass