Day to Day NSW / ACT weather

Joshua Randazzo

Hard Yards
Jan 1, 2021
near sydney CBD.
according to GFS some nice rain on the way!
rainfall.png

Billy Bob

One of Us
Nov 23, 2020
Bungendore
Surprise gusty shower/micro storm has moved through the Canberra region tonight. Barely forecast by the BOM and Windy wasn't interested at all. A sign of the wetter times we're in I think.

Looked like a potential supercell way off Cape Howe as well. It showed black on Canberra 256. Hope the fish had hail insurance. Doppler doesn't go out that far unfortunately.

Do not want any more rain here; it's primed for a flood. There is a suggestion of another trough and low complex in about a week's time :O

Billy Bob

One of Us
Nov 23, 2020
Bungendore
Getting some strong winds in those cells. Canberra AP 78 km/h and Mt Ginini 93 km/h; the latter is above warning strength yet no warnings have been issued. A PWS near me clocked 81 km/h with that last squall.

Winds are almost calm in between these cells.

Billy Bob

One of Us
Nov 23, 2020
Bungendore
A fire after a 16C day? That’s soft!
Unless you’re referring to the purring sound a strong wind might make down the chimney?

Downdrafts have sent temps as low as 5C here, but the day was mild at 18 so house is warm. The wind should keep up all night so I expect that will be the minimum. Haven’t had a frost in a while either due to all the disturbed weather, so indoor temps are just nice.

Reactions: Adaminaby Angler
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.
A fire after a 16C day? That’s soft!
Unless you’re referring to the purring sound a strong wind might make down the chimney?

Downdrafts have sent temps as low as 5C here, but the day was mild at 18 so house is warm. The wind should keep up all night so I expect that will be the minimum. Haven’t had a frost in a while either due to all the disturbed weather, so indoor temps are just nice.
We’re soft.

davidg

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 4, 2009
Lower BM's
Something brewing for early next week on the various models, big ol' low and trough(s?) moving through Monday-Thursday.

EC with big falls up around the NT's and MNC (up to 150mm) extending as far west as Walgett. GFS and ACCESS keeping things a bit further south in the Hunter/CT/BM regions but still decent accumulations east of the ranges.

Could get interesting inland with already full storages and primed catchments.

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
18 - 80 mm's forecast for Richmond from Sunday - Wednesday. Quite a broad range so probably somewhere in the middle. Maybe.
Haven't had time to check any other forecasts yet but there's certainly something brewing.

Also, a smorgasbord of max temps for the next 7 days.

31, 24, 32, 29, 18, 17 and 19.

warrie

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
Something brewing for early next week on the various models, big ol' low and trough(s?) moving through Monday-Thursday.

EC with big falls up around the NT's and MNC (up to 150mm) extending as far west as Walgett. GFS and ACCESS keeping things a bit further south in the Hunter/CT/BM regions but still decent accumulations east of the ranges.

Could get interesting inland with already full storages and primed catchments.
To say nothing of too much rain at harvest time.

• Sad
Reactions: davidg

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Artarmon, Sydney North Shore
The grey blanket that has been back-building over Sydney since before dawn looks as though it might finally be shifting. Looking forward to sunny, dry and 30° this afternoon.

Not particularly looking forward to another rain event early next week but hopefully we get a storm or two from it and useful but not excessive rain. There seems to be a lot of uncertainty in the forecast, with 17-65 mm forecast for Sydney, 17-75 mm for Penrith and 17-60 for Bathurst. Maybe everyone gets 17 mm plus a possible bonus.

Reactions: Homer and Enduro

Gleno71

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Gold Coast, Queensland
18 - 80 mm's forecast for Richmond from Sunday - Wednesday. Quite a broad range so probably somewhere in the middle. Maybe.
Haven't had time to check any other forecasts yet but there's certainly something brewing.

Also, a smorgasbord of max temps for the next 7 days.

31, 24, 32, 29, 18, 17 and 19.
Just im time for freedom day ( if you call it that lol ) the timing couldnt of been worse for those wanting to head out and about , shouldnt complain as a lot of regions are in need of rain.

Wavey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Wollongong, NSW
First southerly buster of the warm season moving up the coast. Kiama just recorded an 87km/h gust. Edit make that 95km/h now.

I'm watching it roll up the coast, it has just hit the light house at Wollongong. Bit cloud of haze associated with it is very swiftly moving up the coast.

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Artarmon, Sydney North Shore
The change has arrived here.

If you go through the time-lapse replay you can see the exact minute the change arrived at the Harbour Bridge: 4:59 PM.

(Move the slider either way).

Sydney Airport dropped from 31° at 4:41 PM to 19.4° less than half an hour later. Maximum wind gust (so far) 74 km/h.

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Yeah, got flogged here in Bondi this evening.
Walked out of work and got sandblasted, despite being several hundred metres from the beach.

The East Coast Southerly buster is characterised by frictional contrasts (land/sea) of low level shear associated with a weak front.

Weak fronts tend to fall apart over the continental SE, whilst maintaining velocity over a body of water such as the Tasman/Southern Ocean. In laymen terms, the coastal flow replaces the frontal airmass that wasn't able to penetrate the GDR and terrestrial SE.
They're pretty common for East Coast South Africa too.

You tend not to see them so much with a strong frontal system as the upper-level airmass typically equalizes quickly over mountains/GDR - i.e. 'downsloping'.

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
My job is very weather dependent and what originally looked like most of the week off work will now probably be one day at worst, so I'm pretty happy about the downgraded totals especially when we don't particularly need the rain anyway.

I'm in the same situation mate. If I have indoor work, I'm fine if it rains.
If not, I want sunny days.
I've had a pretty good run lately over the past few months. Only a few hours lost here and there.

Joshua Randazzo

Hard Yards
Jan 1, 2021
near sydney CBD.
i'm sorry if i annoy people about me wanting rain when it's not really needed its just i have very fond memories' of the heavy rainfall i use to see out at wedderburn airport just south of campbelltown back in 2006-2010 and the sound it use to make on the plane hanger.
during the 2007 event i think the bridge over the Georges river was flooded and we had to wait until the water subsided. very fond memories' with my grandfather watching the rainfall from the hanger.

Reactions: wernerk

Enduro

Early Days
Feb 22, 2021
Sunny morning has given away to lots of smoke haze here in Baulkham Hills. Looking at the Fires app it appears they are doing a few hazard reduction burns

Reactions: Homer and Gleno71

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
Sunny morning has given away to lots of smoke haze here in Baulkham Hills. Looking at the Fires app it appears they are doing a few hazard reduction burns
Same here in Castle Hill. Hazard reduction is on Cattai Ridge Rd at Glenorie.
Not a day to be picnicking in a park.
Looked a lot worse in real life, as I'm sure you can attest to.

1633747586282.jpeg

1633747624628.jpeg

Enduro

Early Days
Feb 22, 2021
When I drove to Castle Hill l could see a huge Plume of smoke out Glenorie way. Got quite warm today, as others have mentioned it looks like a cold wet one for Mondays easing of covid restrictions

Reactions: Homer

Billy Bob

One of Us
Nov 23, 2020
Bungendore
No smoke here thankfully and a pleasant 21.6C max. I feel for those in Sydney who have an otherwise ideal day for outdoor recreation spoiled by dense HR smoke yet again. We are now in the bushfire danger period so I would have thought most of the HR would be done by now.

Not too bad at the beach where (not) social distancing is currently taking place and the seabreeze is taking care of the smoke:

A good set of cams which I just came across today. Coogee and Clovelly were packed earlier in the afternoon. You could see an ugly brown haze to the east though, as the seabreeze inversion traps smoke at a few hundred metres above the surface.

Reactions: Homer and Enduro

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney

Ok.
If you make statements like the above, it's best if you back it up with some proof or evidence like you have just done.

Thanks.

Let's just see how it pans out without making wild predictions.
Suggesting "rain monster thunderstorms" is a bit out there.
There are way more learned people on here than you and I. That's why I prefer to read, listen and still learn, and I'm just guessing that I'm a bit older than you with a bit more experience.

Reactions: Joshua Randazzo
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass