Day to Day NSW / ACT weather

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
A chilly Narrabeen Beach this afternoon.

D1724-F7-E-B5-DE-42-C7-82-CB-5-FA05-D169-A91.jpg
Nice building south swell.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Artarmon, Sydney North Shore
Don’t want any rain and there seems to be little or no rain on the cards for the next fortnight. The great outdoors is no longer a quagmire except for a few damp pockets. You hang stuff up to dry and it actually gets dry. You don’t have to assume it’s going to rain when you make plans.

Weather.com now shows sunny or partly cloudy for 15 days rather than 15 days of rain / showers: https://weather.com/en-AU/weather/tenday/l/ASXX0112:1:AS.

GFS is now pushing the rain to the North, with cool SW’ers for the next few days, then high pressure over NSW then what looks like a warmer spell with Westerlies.

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
Don’t want any rain and there seems to be little or no rain on the cards for the next fortnight. The great outdoors is no longer a quagmire except for a few damp pockets. You hang stuff up to dry and it actually gets dry. You don’t have to assume it’s going to rain when you make plans.

Weather.com now shows sunny or partly cloudy for 15 days rather than 15 days of rain / showers: https://weather.com/en-AU/weather/tenday/l/ASXX0112:1:AS.

GFS is now pushing the rain to the North, with cool SW’ers for the next few days, then high pressure over NSW then what looks like a warmer spell with Westerlies.

That's great news. It has been nice to be walking around a building site for the past few days without needing gumboots. The ground certainly is drying out. Seepage is still a problem, but getting better.

It's going to be a cold State of Origin tonight at Homebush. Good stuff.
It'll be almost Canberra like temps. Not tonight exactly, but generally.
It is also going to be a cold night across the state. Some very chilly temps already showing up. Already 6.5 at Port Mac, 7.1 at Coffs, 8.5 at Ballina, 3.7 at Merriwa, Armidale 0.5, Glen Innes 0.6, Moruya AP 6.1, Cooma AP 0.1 and Mt Boyce 0.8.

Bring on the cold!!

There was a good frost here this morning at Castle Hill. Front lawn covered.
Even thicker at North Kellyville when I arrived at work.
Working outside at the moment and it took till at least 9.00 am before my fingers warmed up. It wasn't pleasant but I prefer this over heat and humidity.
This has been my dream start to a winter.

Enduro

Hard Yards
Feb 22, 2021
That's great news. It has been nice to be walking around a building site for the past few days without needing gumboots. The ground certainly is drying out. Seepage is still a problem, but getting better.

It's going to be a cold State of Origin tonight at Homebush. Good stuff.
It'll be almost Canberra like temps. Not tonight exactly, but generally.
It is also going to be a cold night across the state. Some very chilly temps already showing up. Already 6.5 at Port Mac, 7.1 at Coffs, 8.5 at Ballina, 3.7 at Merriwa, Armidale 0.5, Glen Innes 0.6, Moruya AP 6.1, Cooma AP 0.1 and Mt Boyce 0.8.

Bring on the cold!!

There was a good frost here this morning at Castle Hill. Front lawn covered.
Even thicker at North Kellyville when I arrived at work.
Working outside at the moment and it took till at least 9.00 am before my fingers warmed up. It wasn't pleasant but I prefer this over heat and humidity.
This has been my dream start to a winter.
It's 5 at Windsor here at 8:30pm definitely going to be a cold one in the morning

DerekHV

Hard Yards
Dec 14, 2019
Aberglasslyn (Maitland) and Yamba NSW
Another cold night, possibly down to frost levels, and another 15C dry day forecast for tomorrow, which is 3C below average for June. (Tocal averages, as Maitland Airport has no long term averages yet)
Unusual weather for early winter, normally such a cold dry southwesterly airflows are a feature of later in July and August.
No rain on the horizon either, so quite possibly this La Nina event. may have run it's course.

Reactions: Enduro and whether

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Another cold night, possibly down to frost levels, and another 15C dry day forecast for tomorrow, which is 3C below average for June. (Tocal averages, as Maitland Airport has no long term averages yet)
Unusual weather for early winter, normally such a cold dry southwesterly airflows are a feature of later in July and August.
No rain on the horizon either, so quite possibly this La Nina event. may have run it's course.
We’ve seen an extended stall in the Long Wave Trough, as a result of the blocking High South of WA. The duration of the SW’ly flow is unusual, the rest is pretty much on par with the seasonal shift.
The La Niña signal is still there, albeit tapering off.

Remember last June? This bought snow to Katoomba - down to 800m IIRC
1654718272071.png

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Burnt Downs, Blue Mtns, 1100M.
We’ve seen an extended stall in the Long Wave Trough, as a result of the blocking High South of WA. The duration of the SW’ly flow is unusual, the rest is pretty much on par with the seasonal shift.

1654718272071.png
4C12949A-F718-4B19-9653-8544FA1D3079.jpeg

10th June 2021

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney

1654718272071.png

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Can't see any recent reference to it in the last 2 pages.
Anyone know what's up with Sydney Obs Hill AWS? last 3 days have only obs'ed to midday:
They look OK except for there being no readings between 3:30 PM and 10:00 PM on the Tuesday 7th. As I recall, there was a dodgy-looking rainfall reading on Tuesday afternoon (0.6 mm?) which has been removed.

===

This morning’s 6.0° was Sydney’s coldest reading since July 30th.

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
They look OK except for there being no readings between 3:30 PM and 10:00 PM on the Tuesday 7th. As I recall, there was a dodgy-looking rainfall reading on Tuesday afternoon (0.6 mm?) which has been removed.

===

This morning’s 6.0° was Sydney’s coldest reading since July 30th.
Argh yes, you're right. I must have been scrolling too quick. I say the - in the rainfall, then saw the - in the wind and thought it was acrross multiple days.
Ma Bad.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Won't be frost anywhere around this area, it's blowing a gale again tonight. But it still beats 3 months of near constant rainy weather.

Also just noticed Moruya Ap got up to 18.9C and yet we struggled to get past 15 here. Even some of the north coast was not as warm as there.
Today was my coldest daily beach walk of the year.
Chill plus gale.

Adaminaby Angler

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Maragle, NSW; 948 m AMSL; 35.86° S
Monthly anomalies for June are running close to –3 °C for mins and –5 °C for maxes here (@ Hunters Hill in Victoria as well as Cabramurra). Cloud cover has been extreme, with only one day out of ten this month featuring any sunshine whatsoever…and very briefly at that.

Hunters Hill at 981 m averaging a max of 3.7 °C (!) so far.

Yogurt_FreeZone

One of Us
Dec 28, 2020
St George, Sydney Metro

Severe Weather Warning​

for DAMAGING WINDS​

For people in Illawarra, South Coast, Snowy Mountains and parts of Metropolitan, Central Tablelands, Southern Tablelands, South West Slopes and Australian Capital Territory Forecast Districts.

Issued at 4:50 pm Saturday, 11 June 2022.

Damaging winds and Alpine blizzard conditions across southeastern NSW.

1654932201631.png

Weather Situation: A strengthening southwesterly airstream will extend northwards from Bass Strait into southeast NSW today as a deep low pressure system moves past the southeast of Tasmania. The low will extend a cold front northwards into Victoria and New South Wales overnight Saturday into Sunday morning, with strong winds extending northwards and peaking. Winds then expected to weaken in the middle of Sunday as the front moves offshore into the Tasman Sea.

Strong west to southwesterly winds with DAMAGING WIND GUSTS of around 90 km/h are possible in the South Coast district today, extending to elevated areas of the broader warning area later this afternoon. Winds are expected to peak in strength this evening into Sunday morning as the stronger winds extend to the coastal plain, before largely easing to below severe thresholds by Sunday afternoon.

Locally DAMAGING WINDS averaging 60 to 70 km/h with peak gusts of around 100 km/h are possible about coastal parts of the Illawarra during Sunday morning.

DAMAGING WINDS averaging 80 to 90 km/h are possible for Alpine areas above 1900 m.

Forecast snowfall coinciding with DAMAGING WINDS brings the risk of BLIZZARDS for parts of the Snowy Mountains district above 1400 m from this afternoon until late Sunday morning.

The NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service recommends that back country travel be postponed until conditions improve.

Locations which may be affected include Wollongong, Nowra, Bowral, Eden, Bega, Katoomba, Goulburn, Cooma, Thredbo Top Station, and Bombala.

Reactions: whether

Yogurt_FreeZone

One of Us
Dec 28, 2020
St George, Sydney Metro

Severe Weather Warning​

for DAMAGING SURF​

For people in parts of Mid North Coast, Hunter, Metropolitan and Illawarra Forecast Districts.

Issued at 5:12 pm Saturday, 11 June 2022.

POTENTIAL FOR DAMAGING SURF ALONG PARTS OF NSW COAST

1654934983771.png

Weather Situation: A deep slow-moving low over the southern Tasman Sea is generating a large and powerful south to southwesterly swell along the NSW coast.

VERY HEAVY SURF which may lead to localised damage and coastal erosion is possible from Sunday evening along central parts of the NSW coast. Waves may exceed 5 metres in the surf zone. South-facing surf zones are most at risk.

Beach conditions in these areas could be dangerous and people should stay well away from the surf and surf exposed areas.

The potential for damaging surf is likely to continue into early Monday morning but abate by Monday afternoon.However, hazardous surf conditions associated with a large and powerful surf of 3 to 5 metres is likely to continue for the remainder of Monday and Tuesday. A separate Hazardous Surf Warning is being issued for this.

Locations which may be affected include Newcastle, Sydney and Wollongong.

Mogul

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 11, 2004
Upper Northern Beaches, Sydney

Severe Weather Warning​

for DAMAGING WINDS​

For people in Illawarra, South Coast, Snowy Mountains and parts of Metropolitan, Central Tablelands, Southern Tablelands, South West Slopes and Australian Capital Territory Forecast Districts.

Issued at 4:50 pm Saturday, 11 June 2022.

Damaging winds and Alpine blizzard conditions across southeastern NSW.

1654932201631.png

Weather Situation: A strengthening southwesterly airstream will extend northwards from Bass Strait into southeast NSW today as a deep low pressure system moves past the southeast of Tasmania. The low will extend a cold front northwards into Victoria and New South Wales overnight Saturday into Sunday morning, with strong winds extending northwards and peaking. Winds then expected to weaken in the middle of Sunday as the front moves offshore into the Tasman Sea.

Strong west to southwesterly winds with DAMAGING WIND GUSTS of around 90 km/h are possible in the South Coast district today, extending to elevated areas of the broader warning area later this afternoon. Winds are expected to peak in strength this evening into Sunday morning as the stronger winds extend to the coastal plain, before largely easing to below severe thresholds by Sunday afternoon.

Locally DAMAGING WINDS averaging 60 to 70 km/h with peak gusts of around 100 km/h are possible about coastal parts of the Illawarra during Sunday morning.

DAMAGING WINDS averaging 80 to 90 km/h are possible for Alpine areas above 1900 m.

Forecast snowfall coinciding with DAMAGING WINDS brings the risk of BLIZZARDS for parts of the Snowy Mountains district above 1400 m from this afternoon until late Sunday morning.

The NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service recommends that back country travel be postponed until conditions improve.

Locations which may be affected include Wollongong, Nowra, Bowral, Eden, Bega, Katoomba, Goulburn, Cooma, Thredbo Top Station, and Bombala.
Absolutely howling here in Bannaby, feels like temp approaching -10. Thankfully a warm sleeping bag doing its thing.

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Unless the BOM is expecting cloud or a cold front, neither of which are indicated, Sydney looks set to overshoot its forecast maximum - maybe 19-20° instead of 17°. The BOM have been consistently undershooting Sydney maxima by a degree or two, although their forecast minima have been mostly right or a degree or so over.

Reactions: Enduro

Wavey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Wollongong, NSW
It was carnage here last night, a couple of trees down in the backyard and also some big ones down in other parts of our suburb. Definitely the strongest wind I've ever experienced here around 2-3am. It got up to 100km/h at Bellambi but I suspect it could have been stronger here.

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Sydney is averaging 8.0 hours of sunshine for June. Splendid!
I fact nine of the first twelve days of June have had 9 hours plus - I’m counting today in that - virtually cloudless at this time of year. Counting today, virtually no cloud for seven days. Enjoying the change.

====

I see that Sydney maxed at only 17.7° today at 13:17, about the same as recent days and a small overshoot of the forecast (again like recent days). I had assumed that it would get up to 19-20° because it had reached 16° by late morning and it normally rises a few degrees after midday on sunny days at this time of year. Maybe some cooler air filtered through. No matter, it was a great day out of the wind.

P.S. the OH site is on the blink again, no readings since 3:00 PM.

Reactions: Wavey
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass