Day to Day NSW / ACT weather

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
I fact nine of the first twelve days of June have had 9 hours plus - I’m counting today in that - virtually cloudless at this time of year. Counting today, virtually no cloud for seven days. Enjoying the change.

====

I see that Sydney maxed at only 17.7° today at 13:17, about the same as recent days and a small overshoot of the forecast (again like recent days). I had assumed that it would get up to 19-20° because it had reached 16° by late morning and it normally rises a few degrees after midday on sunny days at this time of year. Maybe some cooler air filtered through. No matter, it was a great day out of the wind.

P.S. the OH site is on the blink again, no readings since 3:00 PM.

I went into the city today for a bit of a walk-around. Caught the Metro from Hills Showground about 9 am when it was still decidedly cold. I had a t-shirt, hoody and winter jacket on and didn't take them off all day. The wind chill made the difference.
It felt chilly the whole time. Cold this morning, slightly warmer around midday, and then cooler soon after that (during what is the warmest part of the day) so there must have been a pulse of cooler air come through.
Anyway, it was gorgeous in the city today. And the usual spots were pumping! Pitt st Mall, Circular Quay, The Rocks, Darling Harbour, Barangaroo, Chinatown etc.....

It is great to see the city back and alive again! I caught 8 different trains and the L1 to Dulwich Hill, all for the Sunday cap of $8.00 on the Opal card. Fantastic value.
Here's some pics of some of the quieter spots I found today. I took so many more photos but won't bore you all with those.

1655020066602.png

1655020142001.png

1655020185545.png

1655020223267.png

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
Great pics Homer!

Thanks.
It was just such a beautiful clear winter's day. I enjoyed the chill while walking around both sunlit streets and shadowed laneways.
The busy vibe was a far cry from the lockdowns of the past two years.
And, on another note, Sydney's public transport system is really extraordinary. The Metro line is incredibly efficient.

Sydney certainly is...... (taken today)

1655033551833.jpeg

Enduro

Hard Yards
Feb 22, 2021
Most parts of Western Sydney predicted to drop to between 2 and 0 overnight. Could be widespread frost in the Basin tomorrow morning

Reactions: Homer

Yogurt_FreeZone

One of Us
Dec 28, 2020
St George, Sydney Metro
The very high tide yesterday after sunset caused some more beach dune erosion around Cronulla Beaches. The morning tide was not as high, but still crashing the waves into the dunes in some parts.

Some more newly felled, or dragged up from the depths by the swell, beach dune infrastructure (posts) could be seen bodysurfing in the surf close to shore.

The evening King tides are going to be even higher for the rest of the week as we hit full moon tomorrow night.

Just saw the below in my twitter feed.

Reactions: wernerk and DerekHV

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Artarmon, Sydney North Shore
Those are some pretty big waves. Here’s an article about the current event, including the erosion in Bate Bay: https://thenewdaily.com.au/weather/...h-more-chills-to-come/?breaking_live_scroll=1

Sydney OH came back on line late this morning, spiked at 19.1° around 2:30 PM, then went offline again. The 19° did not tally with how it felt to me, but it’s not uncommon for OH to be a degree or two warmer than everywhere else on calm, sunny Winter days. I hope it’s fixed tonight otherwise OH might ‘lose’ its coldest temperature of the year.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Yogurt_FreeZone

One of Us
Dec 28, 2020
St George, Sydney Metro
Reactions: Steve777

Wavey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Wollongong, NSW
The first fortnight of June visualised in a table really shows how absurdly cold this recent stretch of low pressure has been. For reference, the 1993–2021 averages at Hunters Hill for June are 3.1 / 8.5 °C; so the highest max so far has not even come within 2 °C of the average max!

569780E8-ED0B-4382-BFD0-E64DD6943D0A.jpeg
And that's precip every single day so far in June as well!

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
It looks like the cold snap finishes after tomorrow morning, with 20° maxima* and 9-11° minima coming for Sydney. In fact, 850 temps over Sydney reach a relatively balmy 8-10° tomorrow before dropping back to 4-6° over the following few days. Then we have rain making (an unwelcome) return on the weekend, although this time it doesn't look like sticking around too long.

There don’t seem to be any significant cold fronts in the next 10 days. GFS is even hinting at a return to “normal service” near the end of its run as the highs slip back down South. Hopefully that changes.

* I normally add a degree to Sydney’s forecast maxima at this time of year.

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Sydney Airport has recorded as much sunshine in the first 15 days of June as it did for the entire month of March.

Even more astounding when you consider March gets about 2 hours more per day than June.
Twelve of the first 16 days of June have had 9.2 or more hours of sunshine, at this time meaning basically cloudless. This included the ten consecutive days ended yesterday.

Cloud rolled in this afternoon ending the sunny spell for now.

Here are some Autumn colours in perfect Winter sunshine this morning:

5-FBB9-D65-ED7-F-43-F7-96-C8-AE45-A6-DAB152.jpg

wernerk

One of Us
Jul 5, 2019
Flinders Park
I went into the city today for a bit of a walk-around. Caught the Metro from Hills Showground about 9 am when it was still decidedly cold. I had a t-shirt, hoody and winter jacket on and didn't take them off all day. The wind chill made the difference.
It felt chilly the whole time. Cold this morning, slightly warmer around midday, and then cooler soon after that (during what is the warmest part of the day) so there must have been a pulse of cooler air come through.
Anyway, it was gorgeous in the city today. And the usual spots were pumping! Pitt st Mall, Circular Quay, The Rocks, Darling Harbour, Barangaroo, Chinatown etc.....

It is great to see the city back and alive again! I caught 8 different trains and the L1 to Dulwich Hill, all for the Sunday cap of $8.00 on the Opal card. Fantastic value.
Here's some pics of some of the quieter spots I found today. I took so many more photos but won't bore you all with those.

1655020066602.png

1655020142001.png

1655020185545.png

1655020223267.png
Thanks for sharing the pics @Homer. Looks very inviting!

Reactions: Homer

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Quite a lot of thunderstorm activity offshore tonight.
There was still activity off the coast (about 60 km) around lunch time today. Here’s the view from a point about 15 km inland as the crow flies. Taken with my iPhone and zoomed, the Chatswood skyline in front of the clouds.

6856-DD17-62-CC-4-A7-E-B9-C2-7368-A6591989.jpg

EDIT: there‘s a chain of yellow-red cells marching Northwards about 40 km off the central part of the NSW coast right now. They don’t appear to be lightning-active at this stage.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass