Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Adaminaby Angler

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Maragle, NSW; 948 m AMSL; 35.86° S
3/4 monthly summary at Hunters Hill (to the 21st of June). Despite a recent, short-lived warm spell, it's still running at nearly –3 °C below the 1993–2021 average on maxes; and nearly –2 °C on mins. The remainder of the month looks to be somewhat on the cooler side, so a good chance of the monthly mean maximum ending up with a '5' as its first digit.

09E84EC0-2FB5-4E0D-9CF0-50532F561D18.jpeg

davidg

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 4, 2009
Lower BM's
Checks out. Looking at the long range forecast we're on track for the driest June since 1994 here in Penrith.

Not a long term record sure, but Hawksbury UWS goes back to 1881 and looking at the Richmond AWS as a proxy its right up there in terms of dry Junes. Daily rainfall data seems to be updated monthly for the long term UWS record so we'll know for sure how dry it has been in a historical sense once it updates.

DerekHV

Hard Yards
Dec 14, 2019
Aberglasslyn (Maitland) and Yamba NSW
It’s gone - at least for the time being:

Glad to see the back of it.
In the meantime, a cold night forecast tonight, and already down to 8.8C, and the sun ☀️ has only just gone down.
Tomorrow going for 18C, average for June here, and some 20C days for the weekend.

Reactions: Steve777 and Wavey

Wavey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Wollongong, NSW
21 degree temps for Friday, Saturday and Sunday with sunny skies and calm winds. I don't think it's theoretically possible to have a better weekend in June.

I recorded 1mm so far and it looks like that will be it for the month. I just hope we don't flip into a real "June" pattern in July.
Unfortunately it looks like GFS is trying to throw in some pretty foul weather for the first week of July for quite a few model runs now.

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Artarmon, Sydney North Shore
Unfortunately it looks like GFS is trying to throw in some pretty foul weather for the first week of July for quite a few model runs now.
The latest runs of Access, EC and GFS now show brief Southerlies early next week, with a significant cool Southerly change towards the end of week. This is followed by a period dominated by the SE quadrant. However, the foul weather (heavy rain) is mostly kept Northwards over Qld and the Coral Sea.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Well it was supposed to be warmer in Wollongong.

After a gorgeous day yesterday. We now have gusty to strong SW winds.
Coupled with a large lee cloud and high cloud. Its anything but.

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
Yeah was hoping that lee wave cloud would clear off this morning.
Instead it has gone from a skid mark to a full nappy this afternoon.

It got very gloomy here around mid afternoon. I notice the Illawarra sky has been smeared over for the best part of the day.

I find lee wave clouds rather fascinating in their development. And, I don't mind them in winter if they keep the days cooler.
It IS winter after all!
It was certainly quite gloomy this afternoon, yet heading home, I could clearly see the clearing edge of the lee cloud over the Blue Mountains.
It brightened up somewhat when the setting sun got beyond that, providing a lovely sunset.

Enduro

Hard Yards
Feb 22, 2021
What an absolutely beautiful day it is today. Just got home and there's virtually no wind. Was nice to see a brief 20°C outside temp while driving before it dropped back to 19°C near home. Pretty much checks out with the 19.5 at Bellambi.
I do like these days, fresh in the morning but warmish and sunny by lunch. Looks like another repeat tomorrow before cooler next week

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
I do like these days, fresh in the morning but warmish and sunny by lunch. Looks like another repeat tomorrow before cooler next week

Today was gorgeous.
I had lunch with the family today for my mum's 90th birthday at the Sydney Rowing Club at Abbotsford. It was absolutely gorgeous.
Glistening Parramatta River blue water views (unlike that river in another city down south that flows upside down).
Beautifully warm in the sun with a cool June wind blowing. One jacket was comfortably enough.
It's days like today that make Sydney winters so perfect.

Wavey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Wollongong, NSW
Looks like EC and ACCESS are starting to come on board with GFS for a rain event starting around Thursday/Friday this week and potentially continuing until mid next week. A bit of uncertainty whether the heaviest falls will be Friday or early next week. GFS still has a cut off low situation with the heaviest falls but quickly clearing to west winds by Tuesday, whereas ACCESS and EC have onshore easterly winds with what is probably a coastal trough until the end of their runs.

It was bound to happen at some point- we've been very lucky to have a month of pretty dry weather with the negative IOD and La Nina like anomalies.

ShavedBadger

Uniform-coloured lard bag.
Ski Pass
Apr 30, 2018
GFS becoming very persistent now as well. Thankfully the western suburb areas have only had 5-10mm (or less) so far this month.

gfs.raincast.bsch.init-2022062618z.start-0.stop-192.syd..1.png
For those of us on the edge of that maroon/red line, what do those two segments mean in terms of rainfall (besides "lots")?

In other news, it's blardy windy and chilly in Newcastle today after some relatively mild days (still cool, but this wind is very chilly!)

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
The BOM are now on board with an imminent rain event for the coast. Forecast rain for the coming week:
  • Sydney 33-95 mm
  • Penrith 9-60 mm
Clearly, there’s still a lot of uncertainty. This year, these forecast totals have tended to increase as we got closer to an event.

Meanwhile, Sydney’s 15 day forecast in Weather.com from Thursday looks like it did until about 6 weeks ago - rain / showers every day to the end of its run.

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
I see that it’s already been down to a “bracing” -2.1° in Canberra, under what are probably clear skies. Winds there are light but not calm. The “apparent temperature” is below -5°.

Meanwhile here in Sydney, it’s a relatively balmy 8.5°, cold for this early. There’s a brisk 13 knot Westerly blowing, giving us an apparent temperature of 3°.

A good night to stay in, especially as I heard rain a little while ago. I see that OH has clocked up a millimetre in the last hour or so. Hopefully there’s not too much more to come, although over coming days there probably is.

Reactions: AshestoAshes

AshestoAshes

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Voyager Point NSW
Sydney OH BOM forecast from Thursday to Tuesday next week.

48 mm's to 173 mm's
Back to La Nina it seems.
Looks like BOM is see-sawing between GFS and EC, but looks like an ECL is on the cards. Will probably see minimums go into the teens until it clears away. Definitely feeling like we've got winter backwards this year.

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Right, I didn’t know that Anakin and Padme in a scene from one of the Star Wars movies I didn’t see was an internet meme. Now I do - you learn something every day. Of course some days’ learning is more useful than others’.

Anyway, Anikan reckons La Nina is finished, Natalie Portman is dubious. I’m with Natalie and Donza on this, but I hope that we’re all wrong.

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
For the non locals, where is this? or is it a secret, lol!! Looks very nice.
That is the view from Bald Hill on the NSW coast, 56 km South of Sydney and 29 km North of Wollongong. The beach and village below are Stanwell Park. The Illawarra escarpment rises straight out of the sea here, with the lookout being about 180 metres above sea level.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
That is the view from Bald Hill on the NSW coast, 56 km South of Sydney and 29 km North of Wollongong. The beach and village below are Stanwell Park. The Illawarra escarpment rises straight out of the sea here, with the lookout being about 180 metres above sea level.
Good spot that. Only 19kms from my place

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass