Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Artarmon, Sydney North Shore
Here’s Sydney Harbour at 7:09 AM.

6D840CBB-F66F-4ABD-9A97-D066DFCF5828.png

It was complete whiteout at 7:00. The fog was mostly gone by 8:00. From this site: https://webcamsydney.com/. The site has a facility to load and view sequences of earlier images.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
Here’s Sydney Harbour at 7:09 AM.

6D840CBB-F66F-4ABD-9A97-D066DFCF5828.png

It was complete whiteout at 7:00. The fog was mostly gone by 8:00. From this site: https://webcamsydney.com/. The site has a facility to load and view sequences of earlier images.

I drove across the bridge at exactly 6.35 am today and that is precisely what it looked like.
What I had never seen before for any fog was the movement. I could clearly see it blowing across the bridge in waves, in front of me. I was fascinated yet had to keep my eyes on the road at the same time.
Going back through the OH ob's, there was a westerly at 15 km/h at that time. That was clearly the direction it was travelling from.
I've never seen a fog move at that speed. I've sort of always thought that fogs were stationary, but clearly not.

Wavey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Wollongong, NSW
LIGHT?

Must have been around lunch I guess.

I went down to North Gong. Crazy as sea gales with a massive groundswell.

My car was covered in sea spray and I was parked 500m from the beach.

Yeah it was when I posted. Coming down Mount Ousley about 11:30am the ocean was glassy.

But yeah I did notice it picked up soon after, although still remained light-ish here at home.

Reactions: Donza

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
I drove across the bridge at exactly 6.35 am today and that is precisely what it looked like.
What I had never seen before for any fog was the movement. I could clearly see it blowing across the bridge in waves, in front of me. I was fascinated yet had to keep my eyes on the road at the same time.
Going back through the OH ob's, there was a westerly at 15 km/h at that time. That was clearly the direction it was travelling from.
I've never seen a fog move at that speed. I've sort of always thought that fogs were stationary, but clearly not.
I used to work in the Circular Quay precinct and often started early. It was not uncommon to see fog rolling down the Harbour on the land breeze. One day I was talking to a colleague who enjoyed a harbour view from his desk. We were treated to the sight of a great white sunlit cloud rolling under the bridge. Unfortunately back then I didn't have a phone with a camera.

I don’t often get fog at home (Artarmon, about 90 m above sea level) but when going to work on days like today the train would often descend into fog.

Wavey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Wollongong, NSW
I used to work in the Circular Quay precinct and often started early. It was not uncommon to see fog rolling down the Harbour on the land breeze. One day I was talking to a colleague who enjoyed a harbour view from his desk. We were treated to the sight of a great white sunlit cloud rolling under the bridge. Unfortunately back then I didn't have a phone with a camera.

Yeah it makes sense that it's not uncommon. If you look at Obs Hill the majority of winter mornings the land breeze is around 20km/h and sometimes up to 30km/h if there is a large temp difference between the western suburbs and the coast.

Hobart gets a similar phenomenon with fog rolling down the Derwent Valley with the land breeze

Reactions: Homer

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney

I don’t often get fog at home (Artarmon, about 90 m above sea level) but when going to work on days like today the train would often descend into fog.

Great story Steve. That's just what it was like this morning.
I don't work in the Eastern Suburbs very often so this is all new to me.
I choose to drive over the bridge every day, rather than choose the harbour tunnel, for two reasons.
Firstly, the tunnel tends to bank up early, due to the tradies at that time of the morning. (I am one of them!)
I take the Cahill Expressway across the bridge instead because I love the views. It takes about 30 seconds / 1 minute longer in normal traffic, and is actually quicker when the tunnel is already banking up. It's a far more pleasant drive and I love seeing which new ship has docked at Circular Quay each day. I'm a tourist in my own city every morning at the moment that I go to work and I love it!
This morning was wonderful. Another day, another experience.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
The Sun's back after some light rain earlier. thunderstorms have lit up in the Upper Hunter and out to sea. Earlier, there were some lighnting-active cells near and West of the Divide, but nothing nearby.

It's still relatively balmy on the Tablelands, about 7° at Orange, 8° at Mount Boyce, about 10° in Canberra. The cold front is some way off.

Last edited:

menthurae

Hard Yards
May 14, 2020
Heard a few rumbles and brief bouts of heavy showers this morning around 4am give or take.
That was in Beacon Hill for those that like to log their thunder days.

Same here - it sounded like it was from Broken Bay area and radar from that time period seems to confirm that's where the most intense cells were.

Reactions: Steve777
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Westerly Wind

Addicted
Jul 12, 2019
Orange NSW (885 m a.s.l.)
Th was e Sun's back after some light rain earlier. thunderstorms have lit up in the Upper Hunter and out to sea. Earlier, there were some lighnting-active cells near and West of the Divide, but nothing nearby.

It's still relatively balmy on the Tablelands, about 7° at Orange, 8° at Mount Boyce, about 10° in Canberra. The cold front is some way off.
Temp at Orange Ap now down to 3.5 deg at 1:30 pm following a shower of small hail here a little while ago.

Jimi

One of Us
Sep 10, 2021
Roseville
Sydney's average maximum so far in July is 16.6C. Today will push it up, but there are some cool days due before month end. If we match the forecast from tomorrow, the monthly average maximum will settle around 16.7C.

The last month that saw an average maximum of less than 17C was June 2007 (16.8C, hello Pasha Bulker!). The next one back was July 1998 (16.2C, big La Nina I think).

So we are a good chance to be the coldest month for maximums in 24 years, as well as the wettest July on record.

PS: The site move may have a small impact here.

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Sydney's average maximum so far in July is 16.6C. Today will push it up, but there are some cool days due before month end. If we match the forecast from tomorrow, the monthly average maximum will settle around 16.7C.

The last month that saw an average maximum of less than 17C was June 2007 (16.8C, hello Pasha Bulker!). The next one back was July 1998 (16.2C, big La Nina I think).

So we are a good chance to be the coldest month for maximums in 24 years, as well as the wettest July on record.

Having compared the averages at the two sites while they operated in parallel, the site move seems to have increased Summer maxima by about 0.5 - 0.8°, with small increases in Spring and Autumn months, little or none in Winter.

Minima seem to be slightly lower at all times of year at the new site (by about 0.1 to 0.3°).

EDIT: The following chart shows the differences in monthly average maxima (top) and minima (lower) between the new and old sites. The first two rows are averages across the period during which both stations operated.

CC35916-A-72-F7-431-C-AA90-BED908164-FD5.jpg

Wavey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Wollongong, NSW
Doing some work around SW Sydney near Camden today. It's a beautiful and pretty calm day out here.

Looks like Wollongong is still quite windy as per usual and the wind last night was crazy.

Reactions: wernerk

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Doing some work around SW Sydney near Camden today. It's a beautiful and pretty calm day out here.

Looks like Wollongong is still quite windy as per usual and the wind last night was crazy.
Its pretty still now.
I'd say a 5 to 10 knot southerly.

Reactions: Wavey

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Dry and sunny with a bit of a breeze. Let’s have more.

The weather patterns have finally shifted into something that looks like mid to late Winter, with high pressure to the North and cold fronts sweeping over the South.

The models do show a high trying to form in the Bight that tries to drag the belt of high pressure back down South of Tasmania but this time it doesn’t succeed. This morning’s GFS shows a return to this year’s “normal” at the end of its run but hopefully that doesn't happen.

Yogurt_FreeZone

Two of them
Ski Pass
Dec 28, 2020
St George, Sydney Metro
Major renovations underway between Wanda and North Cronulla beach today.

Additional sand being deposited on Wanda beach from the bottom of the vehicle/boat access road to the beach.

The lower walkway and top footpath between Elouera and North Cronulla closed, with work being done on the existing hexagon hard sea wall and supporting surrounding infrastructure.

With the North Cronulla new large Stalonic sea wall being built up/out and the Rocky bits being moved closer to the existing water line.

Lots of azure skies and warm sun to warm up the frisky start to the morning.

EF040D1F-F0FD-4681-BEA5-D568F56FAEC7.jpeg
2BBABBDB-8BDE-4194-ABB2-EF247344E188.jpeg
247C9B23-0E05-414C-9BDB-283094062461.jpeg

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
A beautiful day again until late cloud rolled in. OH made it to 21° but in these sorts of conditions it tends to be a degree or two warmer than everywhere else.

Here’s the view to the City from near Woolwich early this afternoon.

3798776-D-5-CB0-46-C8-8-B2-B-4-F7-EDAC4-E5-EF.jpg

Looks quite warm in about a week’s time, with 850 temps near Sydney above 10°. A NW cloud band mind spoil it, however.

GFS shows normal service resuming the week after next.

EDIT (19:45): GFS now shows Westerlies continuing. It’s been jumping around. All models seem to agree on a “Westerly” rain event mid- to late next week.

Adaminaby Angler

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Maragle, NSW; 948 m AMSL; 35.86° S
The cloud later moved on from the Tallangatta Valley (by around midday), giving way to a brilliant shade of green about the paddocks in the southern half of the valley. Still cool however at 10–11 °C.

75382729-032F-4975-AC17-3CBCE509D481.jpeg

56425322-F5FA-4BCE-9454-0ECEB2780127.jpeg

E3674385-8B4B-4A3E-A851-C08BF6D4AD70.jpeg

2EFCD4AC-2A66-4075-99E7-33651E7497B4.jpeg

These cows galloped along with my car as I passed by (which prompted me to stop on the roadside and record this footage):

Farther south and west at Dartmouth Dam, where it failed to climb above 9 °C (only 470 m AMSL).

8C322D1F-3EEF-4C36-B3BD-67C36C8D0344.jpeg

1646FED2-C1A7-40AF-873E-1021AC7FDE3B.jpeg

Rain clouds later closed in on the way back from Dartmouth:

1574BF7D-5079-47E7-ACD4-44D260CEC552.jpeg

Jimi

One of Us
Sep 10, 2021
Roseville

Well the last three days have overshot, averaging over 20C. The month-to-date average max is now 16.96C with three cool days to come. If the forecast is right, we'll end up at 16.86C, though I suspect with multiple sun icons Obs Hill will overshoot again.

Reactions: Flathead
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using