Day to Day NSW / ACT weather

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Artarmon, Sydney North Shore
A perfect early Summer day - in the old money 60-80°F in Sydney, with blue skies, jacarandas and cicadas. Sea gales came along later.

By my inexpert reading of the models the remainder of the month looks quite warm. The 28-29th looks very hot in EC and ACCESS although that’s a way off yet.

But I think that La Nina will come roaring back soon after. Hot and wet like 2010-11 or cool and wet like 2011-12 - we’ll see. Maybe December will be stormy as in 2014 and 2011.

TomGroggon

One of Us
May 4, 2010
Helensburgh
1605826672023413327159372252364.jpg

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Clear blue skies, warm, sunny with light breezes, another beautiful day.

Badgerys Creek is back, showing just under 30°, consistent with other stations in Sydney’s outer West.

I was wondering if Olympic Park had caught the bug, however, being way ahead of the pack or 34° just now, although Bankstown is close behind at 33°, so maybe it is just hotter there.

The sea breeze was up and running on the coast by 9:00 so OH will struggle to reach its forecast, but there might be some mixing down.

Sideny

One of Us
Jul 16, 2019
South-Western Sydney
Not a single cloud around currently. Could just see the tops of the storms near Gosford. Hope some convection happens soon.

Edit: Some decent convection towards my north. So wouldnt be suprised if a storm pops up soon near NW Sydney.

Last edited:

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
Hearing some rumbles here at the moment.
Not sure if they are coming from the south or the north!!

Edit - definitely the southern storm, which is growing.

AshestoAshes

One of Us
Jul 3, 2019
Voyager Point NSW
Luckily is escaped the humidity here it certainly was weird to see those elevated dew points in the Western Suburbs. I wasn't spared the heat with a high of 36.9 degrees, although as i look at obs seems there's a late surge in humidity with Dew points now 18.8 degrees.

Finally saw a on-road temperature of 40 cracked although it spiked to 42 degrees at one point, i think we now get to the point of sunlight management (how much we allow into our houses).

IMG_3911.JPG

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
Close flangs here now. Spectacular. Not much rain here yet. I'm just to the north of it. Oops, spoke too soon. It has just started to bucket down!!
Just spoke to my 17 yo daughter who is driving with a friend and said hail has covered lawns where she is and it looks like it has snowed. Cherrybrook.
Just rang my son 18 yo and told him to put his newly acquired car in the garage. Castle Hill.

PeterM

Hard Yards
Aug 7, 2017
Sydney
Heard a few rumbles this arvo (Campbelltown), nothing but blue sky, solar sitting on 32kWh for the day so far, still another couple of hours!

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I'm watching the backside of a storm wind along the escarpment towards the RNP.
Very black..

Northwesterly

Hard Yards
Jul 8, 2019
Stanhope Gardens
Good storm here in Stanhope Gardens, it started off as dry extremely lightning active. We had a very close strike that made the house alarm control beep like crazy. Lightning pro estimated the strike to be in Acacia Gardens less then a Km away.

We have had torrential rain 12.2mn, with peak rain rates of 40mm per hour, a few pea sized hail pieces, and wind gusts of up to 40.4km per hour.

The stormed dropped the temperature by 12’c.

bondibob

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2015
Curly
Is there a reason it seems more than not
Storms seem to skirt past northern beaches and sydney and track north or south more ? Maybe it’s just me imagining it but we hardly ever get a direct hit here (curl curl)

keen to do some research and learning if a scientific theory behind it.

Reactions: SnowBound

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
There are loads more CG strikes occurring here than Lightning.org are showing on their maps. I wonder why that is?
Anyway, that was a ripper!! A true (almost) summer thunderstorm. Torrential rain. A little bit of hail here. So many close flangs with window rattling thunder. There was no wind associated which was good.
The development was explosive once it got going. It took its time this afternoon, but once it decided to kick off, it didn't hold back.
For once, I was in a sweet spot.
And, it has cooled down nicely after a high of 39.2. Currently 24.5c.

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
The storm this afternoon was very concentrated.
20 mm's at West Pennant Hills was the best. Next was 12 at North Rocks. Hornsby got 7, Turramurra 5 and Baulkham Hills 7, and Kings Langley 7.
There was some similarly 5-7 mm falls out west.
I was in between all these totals so I reckon we got about 10 mm's over the hour but with most of that falling in about a 20 min period.
The rumbles have just subsided in the past half hour.
There's still some random development happening, although I don't expect too many more surprises.

Reactions: Longys and Steve777

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
There were some interesting cloudscapes and distant rumbles here but that was it. All the action passed to the West and North. These storms died as they neared the coast, the sea breeze being suspect Number 1.

The sun’s back out. I note that the Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been extended to the coast, so maybe something will pop up later but I’m not hopeful.
Here’s the view looking North around 4:00 PM. The Chatswood CBD is in the foreground:

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass