Day to Day NSW / ACT weather

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Artarmon, Sydney North Shore
It's been a mild, overcast morning, with a couple of brief sunny breaks, after a warm night. The cloud is clinging to the coast at this stage. It breaks up West of about Blacktown.

Here's the local satellite view a little while ago, showing cloud spiralling into a weak low off Sydney:

Low off Sydney.jpg

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
Well, the BOMs Sydney forecast is already wrong. "Partly cloudy" it said at 4.20 pm, for the remainder of Saturday. Lol.
Showers building and heading through the west and south west suburbs.
No update as yet. Must be dinner - meal time break.

Reactions: Perfect Storm

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
Light rain here as well, with a few moments of light to more moderate rain.
Dinner is over at the BOM. Forecast updated at 6.25 pm with the chance of a light shower.

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
Chance of a light shower. Lol.
Moderate rain here now with decent sized drops.
At 4.20, we were told that it would be "Partly Cloudy". Looks like a vast area of the Metro will get more than just "Partly Cloudy".
It won't be a lot of rain, but it will be way more than what they a forecasting in real time.
I've had around 20 mins of light, steady rain with big drops so far.

*edit* Just heard a rumble as well.

oldgeezer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 18, 2016
Grandpa oh and computer programmer too.
The rain and now warmer temps in Canberra means flowering plants are in full bloom. That means bee keepers are run off their feet as hives produce more queens going off to setup new colonies. Like in our front yard where they settled into the apricot tree. Luckily a bee keeper was able to come within the hour on a Saturday and shook the bees and queen into a big cardboard box.
20201121_144340.jpg

Then he had to head across town to where another new hive was within a wall cavity before coming back for the box.

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
Some very nice development happening on the Blue Mountains.
I noticed the cu's in their early stages while I was out about an hour ago and crossed my fingers and toes.
You can all thank me later. :)

Reactions: Perfect Storm

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
I was expecting it to be warmer today, given that it was sunny until near mid-afternoon. Instead, the forecast was about right for the coast and way over for the West. The car thermometer showed 27-28°, dropping to 24° over the Harbour Bridge.

Here’s some mamatus over Clovelly around 3:00 PM. There was a pleasantly cool breeze, not a sea gale.

Billy Bob

Addicted
Nov 23, 2020
Bungendore
Just copped it sweet here in Bungendore with peak rain rate ~50 mm/hr and winds gusting probably around 80-90 km/h. Reports of flash flooding in Queanbeyan CBD. Temperature has dropped to 12C from about 19.5 before the squall line.

Reactions: Undies and Homer

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
The storm heading up from the south has a very clean leading edge. Very unusual.
Also, some very strong gusts accompanying it - 83 at Nowra, 89 at Montague Island, 78 at Moss Vale.

Severe Thunderstorm Warning
for DAMAGING WINDS and LARGE HAILSTONES
For people in Metropolitan, Illawarra and parts of Central Tablelands, Southern Tablelands, Central West Slopes and Plains, South West Slopes, Riverina, Lower Western and Upper Western Forecast Districts.

Issued at 2:44 pm Monday, 23 November 2020.

Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds and large hailstones in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Sydney, Wollongong, Nowra, Orange, Goulburn and Cobar.

93 km/h wind gust observed at Mt Ginini at 12:34pm

95 km/h wind gust observed at Cabramurra at 11:47am

Perfect Storm

One of Us
Jul 5, 2019
Carramar, South West Sydney.
System appears to have struggled with the heavy cloud cover today. Moisture has been there but cloud cover has been detrimental just as I suspect it was yesterday. :mad:

Bit of a let down if you wanted some H2O prior to the upcoming heat. :(

Reactions: Homer

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Today was a bit of a disappointment. From hot with storms in the forecast a few days ago to dreary grey with periods of light rain and temps in stuck in the low to mid 20s all day. I don’t know what the BOM thought was going to push the temperature up to 29-33° today. It was clear from the satellite picture this morning that thick cloud was going to stick around all day.

It’s just started raining lightly again.

A clearing edge is coming into view in time for sunset. If things go well sunset might prove photogenic, unlike the rest of today.

Jasper Schwarz

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2017
Northern Beaches, Sydney,
Today was a bit of a disappointment. From hot with storms in the forecast a few days ago to dreary grey with periods of light rain and temps in stuck in the low to mid 20s all day. I don’t know what the BOM thought was going to push the temperature up to 29-33° today. It was clear from the satellite picture this morning that thick cloud was going to stick around all day.

It’s just started raining lightly again.

A clearing edge is coming into view in time for sunset. If things go well sunset might prove photogenic, unlike the rest of today.
How bout this one?
Bloody Pretty here at uni as I sit out watching the sunset doing my study

69A67456-8D1A-4AF4-9EC8-683C873A6DB4.jpeg
BE349D85-2EB0-47FA-AE93-B32E76720DBA.jpeg

derider

One of Us
Jul 31, 2020
Wollongong
Got a nice 10mm in Wollongong overnight. It was surprising since no rain was forecast. There's still a big dark cloud overhead, but it's not looking especially threatening for the moment.

That makes it around 62mm for the month, which is disappointing and well bellow average, but not as bad as it could've been. It's been the fourth driest month of this year after April, June and September.

Reactions: Steve777

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
It was a cloudy morning, with the cloud breaking up around 2:00 PM to a sunny afternoon. It didn’t rain in Sydney but there were showers in the Illawarra as Derider reported.

We’re going for some major heat to end Spring and start Summer. The models show 850 temps in the range 22-24° over Sydney on Saturday morning. Forecast highs Nov 28-Dec 1:

Sydney: 33, 39, 25, 29
Parramatta: 39, 39, 25, 35
Penrith: 41, 42, 29, 40.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass