1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

NSW alps Phone coverage options?

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Mils, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Mils

Mils One of Us

Hi guys

I am looking at doing some backcountry camping in OCT and with that my thoughts around cell reception and if I need to make emergency call/text if there are places you guys know it works and if so is Telstra better than Optus? or is it much of the same out there and no bars for life? :)

2. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Hi

I haven't gone back country skiing much - however have done some 4WD in the Vic high country. I have two phones and expected my Telstra phone to shine. Interestingly i found i had more Optus coverage than telstra. But i found having two phones was a good insurance policy. So make sure you group has both providers or by a pre paid sim.

Mils likes this.
  3. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

In NSW on the Main Range reasonable service is available with Telstra from the top of hills. Valleys are variable. Western fall is usually nil but occasionally picks up Khancoban area towers, not to be relied on though.

In remote areas use texts, requires less data and less coverage than phone or messenger and much better battery use.

Also, keep the phone warm, makes an incredible difference to battery life.

Mils and skifree like this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

There's an app called Aus Phone Towers (Android) that gives you an idea of coverage for each tower - better than telco's maps.

Mils likes this.