NSW snow vs VIC snow

roary

First Runs
Apr 11, 2010
hey im going to work a season this year in aus and was wondering whether there is much difference between the nsw snow and vic? cheers

Lukekrause

First Runs
Aug 30, 2009
Melbourne, Victoria
NSW resorts are higher(perisher and thredbo) which will give you a little more consistant snow but nothing dramatic, but hotham and falls definately have good falls so id say similar

roary

First Runs
Apr 11, 2010
yeah i thought so, thanks wat are your opinions on whether staying on the snow at say hotham/falls compared to thredbo/perisher staying in jindabyne?

kiphero

Hard Yards
Jun 25, 2009
Sydney
Last year i drove directly from Vic to NSW in August and the snow was a million times better in NSW. The couple 100m difference made all the difference.

I've only had one year out of 3 where the snow was comparable in Hotham to the NSW resorts... excluding the bottom of Thredbo of course..

BUT

staying at dinner plain, which is quite affordable, is a much better experience to staying in Jundy- for booze and powder hounds. If it wasn't for Dinner Plain, i'd never bother with Vic.

Bato

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 25, 2005
Jindabyne/Brunswick Heads
www.facebook.com
In a marginal year NSW has the goods, last year the snowline was quite often around 1700m so Perisher did ok, Hotham and Falls however got a lot of rain. I love living in Jindy over the winter, but i do love drinking too
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

roary

First Runs
Apr 11, 2010
haha yeah don't mind a beer myself! so would u say nightlife would be better in jindy rather than just on mountain at hotham/falls? and dinner plain is that just near hotham? how far?

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
Your'e discounting latitude as a factor.

The 3 big Victorian resorts are a little further south than the 2 big NSW resorts. Snow-wise, that's probably only the equivalent of 100 metres in altitude. But Australia's southernmost ski resort Mt Mawson (near Hobart) has a maximum altitude of about 1300 metres. Try finding lift serviced ski slopes at that altitude in NSW!
rolleyes.gif

So while the difference between the 5 big resorts isn't that big, latitude can't be completely disregarded.

Squidly

One of Us
Jun 4, 2004
TAS
Latitude is certainly important, most snow accumulation is above 1100m in Western Tas, that would probably be the equivalent of 1500m in Vic and 1600m in NSW, if only Tas had 2000m peaks!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

keefy

First Runs
Jan 28, 2003
Sydney
Always makes me smile, north vs south, perisher vs thredbo... so makes me smile when Thredbo ski schools are running in Perisher... but I am not biased... (right?
smile.gif
)

roary

First Runs
Apr 11, 2010
yeah i thoought that would have to make a difference. so there snow would be reasonably comparable. wat is the crowd factor like between hotham an perisher, and where has better nightlife?

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
roary said:
yeah i thoought that would have to make a difference. so there snow would be reasonably comparable. wat is the crowd factor like between hotham an perisher, and where has better nightlife?
The crowd factor varies because while they have a great selection of advanced runs, resorts like Perisher and Falls Creek tend to cater to intermediate skiers. Hotham has lots of advanced runs, but doesn't have a great selection of intermediate slopes. Thredbo and Buller do intermediate and advanced runs equally well.

Regarding nightlife. Even Perisher advocates would concede that it has the worst town layout of any ski resort in Australia, at least to the extent of things being accessible and inter-connected. It has some great places to eat and drink, but they are widely dispersed.

Hotham doesn't have a great layout either because it is split in two by Mt Higginbotham. However they are connected by a free bus that runs fairly often at night. The Davenport area has a slight majority of the accommodation and a few good nightspots. The Hotham Heights area has less accommodation but a better selection of places to go at night.

Thredbo, Falls Creek and Buller all have reasonably good town layouts and it's fairly easy to get around them.

D-eye

Photographer and skier
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2001
Canberra
deyephotography.com
Bogong said:
Even Perisher advocates would concede that it has the worst town layout of any ski resort in Australia, at least to the extent of things being accessible and inter-connected.

I go there to ski, not to shop

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Bogong said:
Your'e discounting latitude as a factor.

The 3 big Victorian resorts are a little further south than the 2 big NSW resorts. Snow-wise, that's probably only the equivalent of 100 metres in altitude. But Australia's southernmost ski resort Mt Mawson (near Hobart) has a maximum altitude of about 1300 metres. Try finding lift serviced ski slopes at that altitude in NSW!
rolleyes.gif

So while the difference between the 5 big resorts isn't that big, latitude can't be completely disregarded.

But with Tassie you need to also consider the small island surrounded by warm ocean effect which sees snow dissapear quickly after it falls.

Squidly

One of Us
Jun 4, 2004
TAS
Thats true SB, although the central highlands does have a slight continental affect, alot of the wet stuff (drizzle etc) tends to be more concentrated to the coasts. For Ben in the lee of the westerlies, low humidity, clear skies etc does result in some ripper frosts.

The west does rely more on heavier snowfalls to sustain it through the wet stream weather and the northeast on the frosts to retain what it has.

NZ is similar, but having mountains over 500m higher makes a big difference.

SnoWhite

One of Us
Sep 20, 2002
Jindabyne
I've heard it said that Jindy has the best night life, but I don't know first hand as I've never lived in the resorts. However, on a personal note, and as a Jindabyne resident, I'd much rather the party crowd and drunks live anywhere but here.
biggrin.gif

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
roary said:
hey im going to work a season this year in aus and was wondering whether there is much difference between the nsw snow and vic? cheers

Well I may be biased, and have never skied vic, but I would say that nsw snow is the best in the world (I havent skied OS), while the vic stuff is closer to mud.

Go Native

One of Us
Aug 30, 2004
Inverloch
telecrag said:
Well I may be biased, and have never skied vic, but I would say that nsw snow is the best in the world (I havent skied OS), while the vic stuff is closer to mud.

Yeah skiing up to your armpits in snow as light as dust just can't compare to the average conditions in NSW! Who needs to go OS?!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Go Native said:
telecrag said:

Yeah skiing up to your armpits in snow as light as dust just can't compare to the average conditions in NSW! Who needs to go OS?!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
[/quote

See, youse guys over there dont know the first thing about it! You ski ON the snow, not IN it, you are doing it wrong.

Graeme

First Runs
Endless Winter
Sep 25, 2003
Eden
The thread is snow quality in NSW vs Vic. My 2c is that NSW gets more snow load from NW airstream, which leads to better cover for longer - but Vic gets more snow from colder SW airstream after the front, sometimes giving powder even if rarely deep, usually a limited amount on top of the preceding wet snow.

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
I remember about 5ish years ago being utterly boggled to find almost waist deep powder at Baw Baw. Sadly we were on cross country skis which made it very hard to get about. The people skiing the lifts must have had the day of their lives! But Baw Baw gets all the blasts direct from Antarctica, so when the conditions are just right...

Nor surprisingly, when I tell people I've cross country skied in almost waist deep powder at Baw Baw, no one believes me.
frown.gif

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
I tell you what, ask a long term resident of Baw Baw what conditions were like on the 26th of July 2003.
tongue.gif

Perhaps Charlie can remember?

I remember we saw someone putting chains on the back wheels of a Magna and we drew lots to see who would tell them... Perhaps VSG was up there that weekend?
confused.gif

TC

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 7, 1999
Gulmarg Resort Kashmir Sydney
roary said:
one is in victoria the other one is in NSW

Graeme

First Runs
Endless Winter
Sep 25, 2003
Eden
I haven't been to Baw Baw in those conditions but I know from snow reports that Baw Baw does sometimes get a good bit more new snow with SW change than other Vic resorts - pity it doesn't have the terrain or snow base to make the most of it.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
I would love to ski
Hotham
Feathertop
Buller
Bogong
But NSW snow is so good, that even after 30+ years, i still havent got there. In fact it took me a while to ski all the ACT snow, I will be 100 by the time I reach Japan.

But NSW snow, is better than VIC snow.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Maybeeeeeee,

but, even without having skied Vic, I say NSW snow is far, far superior, and to those that say nay, I say prove it.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
telecrag said:
Maybeeeeeee,

but, even without having skied Vic, I say NSW snow is far, far superior, and to those that say nay, I say prove it.

That's like saying sex with a woman is overrated, if you've only ever just played with your mr tocky.....

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
No, no, no. Its like saying that sex with this chick that I have had sex with, is better than sex with that fat chick over there, and I am not even sure it is a chick.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Bogong said:
I tell you what, ask a long term resident of Baw Baw what conditions were like on the 26th of July 2003.
tongue.gif

I remember we saw someone putting chains on the back wheels of a Magna and we drew lots to see who would tell them... Perhaps VSG was up there that weekend?
confused.gif
I can tell you what it was like at Thredbo
Pretty bloody good

Slushii

Mostly missing in action...
Apr 18, 2000
nowhere in particular...
Graeme said:
I haven't been to Baw Baw in those conditions but I know from snow reports that Baw Baw does sometimes get a good bit more new snow with SW change than other Vic resorts - pity it doesn't have the terrain or snow base to make the most of it.

I have been to Baw Baw and I fully agree with the last part of your post, as far as downhill skiing is concerned. But for those of my friends who are into cross-country/back-country skiing, they love the place!

Slushii

Mostly missing in action...
Apr 18, 2000
nowhere in particular...
Sandy said:
telecrag said:
Maybeeeeeee,

That's like saying sex with a woman is overrated, if you've only ever just played with your mr tocky.....

With reference to Telecrag's post in the quote above:
laugh.gif
I always find people who make comment about things they haven't exprienced or done before very amusing....
laugh.gif

The best snow in the world for me personally in my limited skiing experience has been Japan. I saw heaps of snow in North America but didn't ski, so I'm sure when I get around to the other parts of the world, I will discover new "best snow" in the world for me.

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
I think it depends on the winter's prevailing weather systems. Southerly systems favour the southern resorts - Baw Baw, Lake Mountain and Buller. Generally, there's little moisture left in them by the time they reach the northern resorts. OTOH, it's the NW systems which favour the northern resorts. By the time they reach the southern resorts, they've turned to rain. The last few years have favoured the northern resorts, but now the drought seems to be over, maybe it's going to be the southern resorts that do well this year?
outtahere.gif

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Personally I think this whole SW stream favours the Victorian resorts more is BS.
It so depends on the weather system.
The SW stream with a trailing dominant high does favour Victoria resorts. Yet a cutoff low with a SW stream can favour the NSW resorts more. IMO.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
teckel said:
I've yet to see that, Donza
Cast your mind back...2004, 2000, 1996,...strange symmetry eh.?

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
Donza said:
Bogong said:
tongue.gif

confused.gif
I can tell you what it was like at Thredbo
Pretty bloody good
"The snowfalls continued on Friday... there were some great powder runs."

It's nice to be vindicated, I don't know how often Baw Baw gets deep powder, but I was there at one of those times!
biggrin.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass