1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

NSW snowplay looming problem and possible solution

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by kiter, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons Que Sera, Sera Ski Pass: Gold

That's racist!

crackson likes this.
  2. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

How many Courics?

3. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Thats my lesson for the day. Didn't realise there was an SI unit.

4. Myazma

Myazma One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Surely a couric can't be standard, I mean how would you compare an Indian couric to a European couric?

5. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

Then there’s couric art play, not to be confused with snow play

Merry Xmas to you.

Billy_Buttons likes this.
  6. Bertie Egg

Bertie Egg One of Us

Hou-so?

7. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons Que Sera, Sera Ski Pass: Gold

Just the white vibe and tats man.

8. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer Moderator

It is very flat where you come from?

I'll wait while you finish your answer...

currawong likes this.
  9. Jani Makaraiinen

Jani Makaraiinen Addicted

Kyllä ystäväni kylmä wombat se on enimmäkseen tasainen mutta hyvin kaunis vain sama. Kotikaupunkini on Lahti.

cold wombat likes this.
  10. cold wombat

Haluaisin käydä jonakin päivänä eräälle maailmalle. Jos voisin saada työpaikan jossain muualla Euroopassa, se olisi mahdollista matkustaa moniin paikkoihin, joista haluaisin nähdä. Haluaisin puhua enempää kuin englantia.

11. Jani Makaraiinen

Travel is a good thing , job opportunities are there in northern Europe if you have a mind to do it. Northern Germany and Denmark are good northern central locations from which a person may explore at leisure or further south I have always liked Austria , Slovenia or northern Italy although work opportunities there may be harder to come by. As for language you will find most of Europe under a certain age will speak some English even in the smaller towns so its not too hard to communicate. As for learning languages I would suggest try the easier ones first like French , German or Italian , maybe even Spanish before tackling something near impossible like Suomi or Norse as they require you to think the language in a very different pattern.

I do know of some seasonal jobs in northern Finland as guides for northern lights tours that are readily available. I have done this job for one season when I was much younger and it a lot of fun but very tiring.

Jacko4650 and cold wombat like this.
  12. kiter

kiter One of Us

This discussion has drifted off topic .

13. cold wombat

No, no. Jani was wondering what snow play means. Where he comes from, it seems they don't have snow play. I think we have a bit of a language barrier, but we're making progress. Lets keep trying...

@Jani Makaraiinen, jos tulin kotiisi Lahtiin ja heitin lumipallin sinulle, olisimmeko leikkimässä lumessa?

14. crackson

crackson Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Jos tulin talosi lumi pallo taistelua, se olisi tavata Pohjois maiden tyttöjä.

15. cold wombat

Jos pallot ovat lumessa, et tavata mitään pohjoismaisia tyttöjä.

crackson likes this.
  16. zac150

zac150 A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Apparently Thredbo officially announced during the week that Snow Play is indeed off this year, parking had nothing to do with it, it was simply an operational nightmare which provided very little return for the resort; basically took a lot to prepare the space etc and they want to focus on the skiers.

17. Jani Makaraiinen

To Crackson and Cold wombat
    I grew up in Lahti but now live in Australia since 1992 so I understand English quite well. Wombat you are very funny with your last remark.
    So to answer your questions , if we were in Lahti and had a snowball fight we would be called typerä lapset but it would be I suppose snowplay.
    Crackson if you went to Lahti for a snowball fight then there would be plenty of nuoret suomalaiset tytöt for you to contend with but if you were throwing snowballs then I guess you might get called a typerä lapsellinen Australian poika and if you had your balls in the snow I guess they might giggle a bit and say to you nyt olet hyödytön lapsellinen Australian poika. :D I have many relatives still in Lahti and surrounding towns but you must remember Finland has a small population so sometimes it is surprising even for us when we meet someone and you have to go through names to see if you are related. This can be very frustrating when I was a young man , always seemed that every girl I met was related somehow lol.
    I understand what snow play is my question before may not have come out as I wanted. I was trying to say snowplay - whatever that means to you - is it snowballs , snow angels , toboggan , sleds etc. I am sorry if I was not correct and clear. Sometimes I still think in Suomi and the words are not quite right. Sorry for not answering sooner but we were celebrating young Niskanen's gold medal for a while and then there is work.................

cold wombat likes this.
  18. teckel

teckel Not a Loser Ski Pass: Gold

Not too far north then. I've got a friend who works at the University in Kuopio, but lives about 50km to the east, and travels the road daily, even in winter! Now that's crazy!
    And snowplay is all of the above - snowballs, snowman making, tobogganing, snow angels etc - what Finns do as little kids in the backyard. ;)

19. Donzah

Donzah Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Then they'll build a gondola...and makes mega bucks from snow play
    They'll need to fix their ON parking

20. zac150

zac150 A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Not actually sure what you are saying?

Yes they are hoping to build a gondola, yes they make a lot of money by owning a ski resort and yes Thredbo has a finite amount of parking.

The gondola may open up the possibility of moving the snow play area to Merrits where they can make money who knows

The issue I noticed with the snow play was the congestion around the bus turn around circle which halted the flow of in the village especially to the buses. It might not sound like much but this service is important to the village and people’s enjoyment of their holiday especially in the afternoon.

The amount of grooming was also ridiculous, as I say we would watch them working on the area. This time would be better served on the mountain.

Parking is the real contentious issue, for me I think Thredbo need to run a bus service to Jindy, they also need to remove the bus parking in front of Friday Flat and shift the buses to the dirt parking lot near the bridge, and when that overflows the buses can simply drop off.

If parking is still an issue, remove overnight parking lots, simple. None of the club lodges in Perisher have parking and the club lodges in Thredbo I don’t believe contribute to parking, they pay levies as anyone does but that just covers your land.

21. Donzah

I'm saying...
    Gondola ride plus snow play = goldmine.
    The ON car parks will go. Like they did at perisher.
    Thredbo need the room.
    Personally. The turning circle at FF is badly designed. As are the car parks.

22. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

When was there O/N parking at Perisher?

23. Donzah

Wasn't there ON parking at smiggs in the ole days?

24. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

Guthega is the last public o/n Bastion in Vail

25. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

At some lodges. There still is. I know I am easily confused, but to me Perisher and Smiggins are two different places.

26. cold wombat

Yes, it came out as you wanted it, but I saw the opportunity to indulge in an alternative interpretation for my own amusement. It seems Crackson and yourself were also suitably amused, so I'm calling that a win.

Nämä suomalaiset tytöt kuulostavat erittäin kutsuva. Saatan joutua käymään ja pelata lumipalloja tyttöjen kanssa.

27. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Not sure if this would be the right thread, but perhaps snowplay can now be in Queensland? Yes, the latest grand idea for Gold Coast Theme Parks includes and indoor ski area:
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-...old-coast-theme-park-as-a-key-project/9508904
    Long way out, but I imagine it would be very positive for the NSW and VIC ski resorts - getting folk introduced to snowplay and learning some very basic skills before committing the big buck to a 'real' ski holiday.

28. kiter

kiter One of Us

I thought that I would add an update to this thread . So since the last post quite a bit of water has gone under this bridge . Covid ,no snowplay in nsw national parks in 2020 and Ive just visited oberon and the big snow of 2020up there attracted a huge crowd that apparently trashed the place and the town overrun with Tourists . Corin forest has been going gangbusters and apparently is installing a chair and i met a bloke with property at Shooters hill near oberon that kept the entrants to his property in check and made a mozza from gold donations and is open to the idea ofleasing his land for a permanent snow season snowplay area with slushy machine and snowmaking . He says he has ample water too

Untele-whippet and Jacko4650 like this.