1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

NZ 2020

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Hermannator, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Red_switch

Red_switch Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: 30 Day

Was at Coronet for a few hours today. 14 laps in three hours, plenty of skiing to be had. A few thin spots, but it actually skied really well. Groomers first up then exchange and ego alley were the place to be early afternoon. Quiet as.

MisterMxyzptlk likes this.
  2. craighelo

craighelo One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Yep, TC has been shut since end of last week, but took the kids to Cardrona on Saturday, road up was a real mess, clouds were coming and going but snow skied pretty well and we had a fun day.
    Hoping Thursdays forecast is cold this time.

3. MisterMxyzptlk

MisterMxyzptlk Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

jelly

4. steeps

steeps One of Us

For Real ? Base Overload !

Attached Files:

5. hpsauce

hpsauce A Local Ski Pass: Gold

TC still shut.
    Aside from the "they cant be arsed" explanation, can anyone offer another proper reason?
    Obviously the TC report says something about warm weather and needing to re establish the piste.
    But......in 15 years of TC.....I have NEVER seen them shut mid winter with 100cm reported base on the deck due to warm weather. So I call bulls#!t
    Sure.....there has been a road problem or 2 in that time ....for a washout or something.

6. craighelo

Explanation here

Dumphfish likes this.
  7. hpsauce

"....set closing date was the 6th Sept....."
    Wow....Winter is now a brief affair at TC!

8. Red_switch

These conditions are shitty, but not that unusual. TC is not that well located in terms of position, elevation and aspect under these conditions. Cops more of the NW rain spillover than any other field in the Southern Lakes, cops more of the NW wind, gets too much sun for too much of the day, especially low down. In a normal year if there was more demand I suspect they'd put a bit more work into actively managing conditions with grooming etc., but it's probably just not worth it at the moment.

9. hpsauce

That was exactly my sense. Cause the conditions are not that unusual for TC.....but peak winter they usually dont close for 3 days with a base of 100cm

10. Red_switch

I suspect there's a big difference between saddle and lower home basin... and the glide crack issues up there sound gnarly. If there were more people up there then they would put more time ($$$) into sorting things out. But that said, TC (and Coronet) are both prone to mid-winter closures in these sorts of conditions. Coronet is right now a case study in the importance of aspect.

11. pedub

pedub One of Us

Is coronet closed? . My folks skied it yesterday and they left after 1 run. We went up to Cardrona today, first ride of the trip... Surprisingly on piste was good, classic corn snow. Off piste not great at all. Not what I'm hoping for during winter in southern lakes really.

Going to be extremely dodgy avi conditions if we get a decent amount of colder drier snow on it.

Looks like tonight and tomorrow we'll get something, but I'm not really expecting TC to open??maybe Fri.

12. Red_switch

Coronet is still open.

To be honest, these recent conditions were probably the best thing we could have had for stability long term, there was a deep PWL prior to this, that has hopefully been put to bed now.

13. craighelo

TC open today

14. Red_switch

15. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

16. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

Red_switch and climberman like this.
  17. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I note reading about sub-optimal Southern Lakes’ snow conditions from my lockdown in Plaguetown, that I’m marginally less upset not getting to ski Wanaka this year -it would have been about now.

It does perhaps show that this weird weather in SE Oz with very few ‘real’ cold fronts and a few humid East cost lows providing big dumps of wet snow and rain, does have flow on effects to NZ too.

At least spring like conditions in Southern Lakes tend to beat Aussie (Vic) skiing.

TC is a worry though in ordinary years. Home basin does get hammered down low by warm and wet & sunny weather. So one wonders that if there was more level areas near the top of the 6 pack - this would have been a better Day base - perhaps aided by an access gondola and another lift or two around Saddle basin?

18. pedub

pedub One of Us

If you had a trip planned anytime 1st Aug onwards you definitely haven't missed much. Some light falls yesterday but not enough. Now I don't see anything significant in the next week. Coverage is not too bad in SL tbh, just extremely freeze/thawed conditions all over. Can be fun after the sun gets on it

P.s. Interesting idea @snowgum. Wonder if they could move the 6seater up a bit higher nearer the summit. We can just drive up easy rider right? It's basically a roadLOL

craighelo likes this.
  19. snowgum

Ha ha! Mm TC while great in Saddle Basin post dump is a bit all or nothing mtn based on admittedly a very small sample of about 5 days’ skiing in 5 separate trips.

Elephant in room - it lacks the infrastructure of the other 3 main mountains - it’s papered over the cracks for years on this department- maybe under Cardrona/ RJ - they’ll finally be properly funded.

Main items lacking are ( not in order): road and Access generally, car park capacity (bus helps), base are capacity, height of base/ cover at base, a lack options to move base higher due the absence of a higher ‘shelf’ (AFAIKR); absence of trail markers -especially on cat track and in fog, lack of decent progressive green/blue slopes - it sort of goes total beginner at base to a solid improver on the green slope to base, then solid blue (Big Skite?) on home and Saddle (then lots of black) - so struggles attracting new families.

Of course if Home 6 pack name? Goes down then that’s it game over! But to be fair most Mtns struggle in the same way - I think CP & Cardi hav3 some redundancy left / right across field - so something can still run. Remarks too!

But and a big but! When the Pow is on and the fog / vis is not bad - the upper areas and chutes are great.

lots of potential to improve; AU’ Hotham in 70/80s!

20. hpsauce

Now that it is Cardie's brother.....they are just going to open and close it when they can be arsed (where it covers cost?).
    A fast fall from grace really for a unique mountain.....with absolutely world class scenery and outlook.
    Actually....it used to be the most superb place for families and teaching kids.I mean, the platter and t-bar was free! And you could hire skis and boots by the hr! And one big ass express lift with a very long green run with all sorts of variety off it. Despite seeming a bit agricultural cause of the drive in, it was just so civilised, efficient and inexpensive for families. And if you had those 2 for 1 Speights lift pass deals, or the Jucy rental deals....you could save a ton!

snowgum likes this.
  21. Red_switch

Showing your age there for sure buddy.

It's funny, I know someone who is a grandkid of one of the blokes that originally got TC off the ground. As kids, they weren't allowed to ski at Cardrona, it was forbidden (but Coronet was fine, due to Otago Ski Club ties).

snowgum and hpsauce like this.
  22. hpsauce

Indeed. In years gone by, anyone who admitted skiing Cardies was openly mocked at TC.

Red_switch and snowgum like this.
  23. snowgum

In my time Visiting since About 05/06 - TC has always had a bit of an ‘aloofness’ to it perhaps more apparent than real? I have the TC coffee table book so I’ll check facts and confirm. ;)

I do agree if RJ / Cardi close it half the time - it runs the risk of playing second fiddle and losing fans to other 3 hills. That said the region has lost access to Aussie crowds so while that’s great (in so many ways I’m sure!) for locals it’s not great for operators and the tourism sector.

perhaps better to judge TC ops in a non-Covid year with so so snow?

24. Dumphfish

Dumphfish Hard Yards

I don't think this has changed?

25. snowgum

We must be atypical then. :cool: My wife like me is on teles and tentative on hard blues when icy or crowded. My 11 y old is still still on greens and easy blues (makes Hotham interesting!) so the number of suitable runs at TC are pretty limited.

Still they go occasionally to provide company on our Wanaka holidays. ;) The big difference, at Cardi they can do about 75% of the mtn. So it’s horses for courses.

And while I ‘can’ ski (teles) the blacks and some chutes at TC - when they’re iced up and lumpy I’d probably rather be on the blues, or at Cardrona or wherever. I don’t expect much do I? :p

Dumphfish likes this.
  26. pedub

pedub One of Us

[​IMG]
    View up to TC tonight

Dumphfish, hpsauce, Zimbooo and 2 others like this.
  27. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

can see a couple of lights - from groomers presumably.

Missing that view with Black peak and Fog peak this year. I normally see it from main part of town though where TC is out of view.

snowgum likes this.
  28. snowgum

I miss it too Heinz. A shame! One of my favourite ski views in the world - especially in the Southern Hemisphere. :cool:

Often shared with wine or two at that time of time. :D

29. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Yep, sad not to be there this year, been our annual 2 week winter break for 20+ years after we moved to Qld from Sydney.

30. pedub

pedub One of Us

I've gotten lucky and this is a relatives place we can stay at a couple of nights. I also haven't really appreciated the view from this far round the lake before. Pretty nice

We're off to Methven tomorrow, possibly a small SE storm there later in the week.
    SL looks done for us as I can't see anything of note this week. Mild conditions continue. I have to go to work on Monday :cry:

Zimbooo likes this.
  31. Red_switch

I've got my ARM level 5 assessment in Wanaka next week. Looks like the pits will be pretty uninteresting at this rate.

snowgum likes this.
  32. Heinz

This is view I normally see when I have been over there - centered on Fog peak with Black pk & TC hidden behind Roys peak. I posted this in another thread just yesterday. This one taken on 09 August 2014. A view I never get tired of seeing and I've been visiting annually for over 35 years. Even more satisfying after a day of skiing on Fog peak as I had been that day.

craighelo, hpsauce and snowgum like this.
  33. snowgum

TC manages to hide from most of the town - so I note, we have to guess cloud conditions From those adjacent peaks. Part of the fun on potential TC mornings!

FWIW this pic contains some of the peaks we flew over when partaking a ‘birthday heli-trip around Aspiring in Aug 2016. What a way to celebrate! Nice and calm and clear for us too! Our then 7 year old loved it!

We landed on two peaks for photos. I think one was Mt Dragonfly? The other possibly Fog? Or?
    - It was just across the river valley from TC.

They were both little 2,000m hills - dwarfed by the glacial mass of big peaks above.

Everything is relative! o_O

34. Heinz

Dragonfly peak is in the north Buchanans which is on the opposite side of the Matukituki valley to TC. You wouldn't have been able to see TC from there though as it is set back from the valley. You would have been able to see TC if you were more valley side like on Mt Eostre or Triple peak.

Fog Peak is in the north Harris mountains which is the same side of the valley as TC. From Fog you can see the back side of TC and have a very good view looking down to Wanaka.

From all of those peaks of course you will have great views of Mt Aspiring and on very clear days see Mt Cook in the distance.

I'm really missing all this stuff right now.

Next time you want to really celebrate you may want to have a heliski day in this region. :)

snowgum likes this.
  35. pedub

pedub One of Us

Well the Auckland level 3 lockdown has ended my trip a bit early. Its snowing in Mt Hutt and we were going to hit it today and tomorrow... :cry:

36. pedub

pedub One of Us

37. GlenH

GlenH One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

It seems to be doing well to have opened and stayed open unlike others struggling like Broken River and Cheeseman.

pedub likes this.
  38. craighelo

Rumor from Sunday, TC to stay open for a couple of weeks longer, evidently making money under the new owner.
    Might need another decent snowfall or two though.

39. Dumphfish

Dumphfish Hard Yards

I think they said they were going to try to stay open over weekends after September 6th (when they're due to close) because they shut during that warm, wet spell but would be good if they stay open and good to see there's enough punters going to make it profitable. Hard to believe because when I check the webcams during the week it looks deserted?

40. craighelo

Certainly feel like its been a lot busier than last year. Think there have been a lot of cost savings with a layer of managers removed.

41. Untele-whippet

42. ScottGN

ScottGN One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

43. Untele-whippet

44. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them Ski Pass: Gold

Untele-whippet and ScottGN like this.
  45. Red_switch

Yesterday at Coronet Peak was outrageous. If there'd been any visibility, it would have looked like my profile pic. Felt like that all day.

Dumphfish, Zimbooo and Untele-whippet like this.
  46. craighelo

Yep TC certainly delivered yesterday, no vis, snowing all day, but deep fresh lines all day.

47. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Watched that system and thought about other big drops we have experienced in early Sept over the years ............ if only. So missing not spending a few weeks. Enjoy you lucky locals!

Untele-whippet likes this.
  48. ScottGN

ScottGN One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

49. Untele-whippet

craighelo likes this.