NZ 2021

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Joining in here. I’m about to lock in refundable flights for mid July for a week. Ikon pass gives 5 days between Remarks and Coronet.

So looking for accomodation recommendations for 2 in Queenstown, close to bus to the resorts. Bus looks expensive but hire car more so.

Reactions: Zimbooo

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Joining in here. I’m about to lock in refundable flights for mid July for a week. Ikon pass gives 5 days between Remarks and Coronet.

So looking for accomodation recommendations for 2 in Queenstown, close to bus to the resorts. Bus looks expensive but hire car more so.
Accomodation will be expensive in QT. Demand is there.
Hire cars shouldn't be exey though.
Especially the middle tier companies.

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Accomodation will be expensive in QT. Demand is there.
Hire cars shouldn't be exey though.
Especially the middle tier companies.
A quick check for SUV came in at $800 for a week. Many hire car companies have sold fleet due to low demand. Assume AWD is required.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
A quick check for SUV came in at $800 for a week. Many hire car companies have sold fleet due to low demand. Assume AWD is required.
Mid Size SUV Auto
Toyota Rav4 4WD / Similar
1518_240.jpg

icon_year.png
2015 - 2017
icon_ancap.png
5 Stars Safety Rating
View vehicle details
$81.00
per day
Includes $0.00
Total $486.00
NZD

Reactions: SharpShard
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Just some quick googling.
Snow chains were extra 30 bucks.
Screenshot_2020-12-15-14-02-11-94.png
Plus insurance excess removal. And not all Rav 4s are AWD.

Bus works out at around $420 NZD. Still close on cost and easy life. And I’ve been looking at Saturday to Saturday, allowing a rest/weather day. So 7 days.

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Are NZ school holidays an issue similar to here? Or is there enough to go around?

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
I think last season was especially bad.. They didn't open until July 29th.
That has stuck in my mind a bit.
As in 2020? FB says they had decent snow early July.

In any case it’s lift tickets that won’t get used otherwise, QFF point flights and a weeks holiday in a pretty town. Sounds good to me. It’s not like the only time I’ll ski next season (crossing everything).

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
As in 2020? FB says they had decent snow early July.

In any case it’s lift tickets that won’t get used otherwise, QFF point flights and a weeks holiday in a pretty town. Sounds good to me. It’s not like the only time I’ll ski next season (crossing everything).
Covid 2020 was all abit of a blur...I do remember they had their biggest school hols ever. 100% domestic.
Yeah its cause the reason you posted above i'd suggest getting a car. So you could go to Cardies for instance..Or see a bit of the scenary.
You don't have to drive up the hill. The remarks has a park and ride at the base.
It also means you could stay out of QT just a wee bit. Cuts costs and its not such a head fcuk busy.

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017

Hotel room or small apartment?

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017
Turner heights townhouses have a couple of 1 bedroom apartments with views over the town, a couple of minutes walk to town/bus. Boots in backpack walk. Another that’s same sorta distance is Blue Peaks. I don’t have any experience with the bus. We have just rented a standard car/wagon with chains over the last 20 years, as we have stayed 10-14 days with kids as they grew up and car was best for that scenario.

Reactions: Donza and skichic

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017
The other thing worth mentioning about the bus is that I understand there are stops/pick up points along each route to Coronet / Remarks. So you don’t necessarily have to be as close as possible to the central stop, just close to a stop and still within walking distance of town for dinner. We have always seen people waiting for the bus up around the Earnslaw Lodge, Copthorne area, where there are a lot of accommodation options. Again, I don’t have any experience on how good the bus system works, it would be best to contact NZSki guest services to ask some questions. Needless to say the Sofitel would be the best of all accom options for 2 for a week, but you would pay for it I’m sure.

Reactions: skichic

essjaywhy

One of Us
Jul 24, 2012
Akl NZ
Govt got voted in with an exceptional majority : 50% of those new votes from huggy celebrity/ and half from covid safety
so they aint gonna blow votes over holidayers

Peanut

One of Us
Mar 3, 2018
I’m a bit late jumping in here, but we’ve started making arrangements to go over to NZ this year. We had cancelled flights through Emirates from last year that I rolled over to fly SYD-CHC-SYD for this year, but they’ve already cancelled the SYD-CHC flight, so I’m not really sure what to do. We’re also kind of tentatively starting to make plans to just stay in Australia.

I go over with hubby and our two children, so after several trips, we’ve worked out that car hire works out better for us. Last time we flew into Queenstown, then drove up to Christchurch and spent a couple of days there before flying out. We enjoyed the drive, and we’ve worked out that from a cost perspective for 2 adults and 2 children, flying into and out of Christchurch and hiring the car is cheaper than flying directly into Queenstown. You really need to do the maths regarding buses vs car hire for the number of people you have going with you.

We hired through Apex, and were very happy with them. They allow you to pay once you arrive to pick up the car and don’t charge one-way fees. We hired a mid-size 2WD last time, as I made the call to hire a car pretty late in the trip planning process, and all the AWD vehicles were already booked. The staff were very helpful in showing us how to fit the chains, and let us hang around in their office for as long as we wanted to practice fitting the chains to their demo tyre/wheel set-up in the office. It came in handy, as we had to fit chains on several occasions and were able to get it done much more quickly than most other people that were pulled up in the chain fitting bays.

Having the car also means the children can sleep in for a little longer on skiing mornings, and I don’t have to deal with the autistic meltdowns from the younger child that usually go for long enough that we miss our pre-booked bus from the nearest bus stop. Well, the meltdowns still happen, but we just bundle the child into the car and drive off rather than trying to get him to carry his gear down the hill mid-meltdown.

We’ve always stayed at Sherwood, which is about halfway between downtown Queenstown and Frankton. We book a room that has a kitchenette, so we can cook our own meals, but they also have an amazing restaurant on-site if we don’t feel like cooking one night. We like staying out of the downtown area because it’s quieter. There are fees to park cars in the downtown area, so we often catch the bus into town. The buses run something like every 10-15 minutes, and are $2 per trip for adults, and either $1 or $1.50 per trip for kids. We’ve bought a travel card for the buses, and just top it up each trip as needed.

We have used the buses up to the mountain for several trips, and they are quite good. Something to be aware of is that if you wait until the end of the day to get off the mountain, the lines for the buses can be quite long, and it can take ages to get off the mountain. We worked out that it’s better to leave no later than 3pm if you don’t want to get stuck in lines for ages. Waiting in line for up to an hour with whinging kids is no fun.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
All of these pictures are making me jealous but recent border closures give me little confidence we will get to ski New Zealand this winter.

Are others making any plans?
@Untele-whippet and I had a week planned in August last year which we have rolled over to this year... I'm just leaving it up in the air, hopeful that as we get closer it may get clearer. It may not!

Reactions: Untele-whippet

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
Thanks. Of course the challenge is knowing when to pull it and then finding something else locally in August.

Reactions: climberman

grantn

Addicted
Aug 10, 2011
Thanks. Of course the challenge is knowing when to pull it and then finding something else locally in August.
Our plan is to wait until about end of first week August and make a decision then. If it's possible, we will book everything quickly and attempt to be there mid August. Depends on quarantine obviously. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: Untele-whippet

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017
Fingers crossed, like a lottery ticket. We will go if we can......been way too long.

Peanut

One of Us
Mar 3, 2018
All of these pictures are making me jealous but recent border closures give me little confidence we will get to ski New Zealand this winter.

Are others making any plans?
We started making plans last November when things were looking good, and I was able to book flights for this year under the booking number for last year’s flights that got cancelled. However, those have now been cancelled on me as well. At this point, I think I’m going to have to cancel all the accommodation and hire car bookings as well and plan to ski in Australia instead.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass