NZ 2021

Dumphfish

Addicted
Oct 9, 2017
Coronet turns into a skate park mid-afternoon
Never skiied in NZ, what sort of snow conditions should I expect in August?
August is usually the best and safest time to go but you can still get skunked. I think you would probably like Cardrona more, good field especially for beginner/intermediates, higher and better snow quality than Coronet Peak. Venture over to TC if you want more challenge.

Reactions: BMWRX and mannyk

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
August is usually the best and safest time to go but you can still get skunked. I think you would probably like Cardrona more, good field especially for beginner/intermediates, higher and better snow quality than Coronet Peak. Venture over to TC if you want more challenge.
Ive been skunked by the best, thanks for the tips.:thumbs:

RCN

Hard Yards
Nov 27, 2019
Mt Hutt is great is lots of ways, but for a short trip from Australia I feel it's just too high risk. Even a 5 day trip, not unreasonable for it be be closed all 5 days in row.

Reactions: TOFF
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
Mt Hutt is great is lots of ways, but for a short trip from Australia I feel it's just too high risk. Even a 5 day trip, not unreasonable for it be be closed all 5 days in row.
Had my best ever single ski day at Hutt.
Had one of my worst ever days there 2 days later.

First day had beautiful fresh snow. 2 days later was unskiable ice

Reactions: DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Risk ? Depends on how you measure such things.

What's Behind Door #1 - Stay in Strayla

https://www.yr.no/en/forecast/daily-table/2-2146760/Australia/New South Wales/Snowy Monaro Regional/Thredbo

Ski the man made at best

What's Behind Door #2 - Go to Unzed

Ski Mt Hutt
If it's Mt Shut, go and look at Mt Olympus/Broken River/Craigieburn
Or sit in the pub, count sheep and drink beer

Reactions: dr80 and KylePee

BMWRX

One of Us
Apr 7, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I'd rather ski at Mackenzie/Canters/Rainbow than QT /Wanaka.
Fave spot in NZ is Rua though.
I guess its the direct flights to QT that leads to the attraction.
We met a couple guys in Hakuba who were Ruapehu locals. They talked it up hard, as well as how poor the weather can get there. We contemplated trying it out this year but with so many things currently uncertain we thought we'd stick with what we know this time around.

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
We met a couple guys in Hakuba who were Ruapehu locals. They talked it up hard, as well as how poor the weather can get there. We contemplated trying it out this year but with so many things currently uncertain we thought we'd stick with what we know this time around.
We’re doing a week in Wanaka to hit TC and Cardrona and a week in Ohakune. Fingers crossed that we get 2 days Turoa and 2 whaka out of the 7, any extras a bonus.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Its a massive pimple in a onshore flow. Just cops weather.
Its probably the biggest mountain I've seen besides the volcanos on maui.
Its very impressive.

Reactions: ScottGN

Dumphfish

Addicted
Oct 9, 2017
They say spring is the go for Ruapehu, beautiful corn skiing everywhere. I used to live in Auckland and would go down for a week to Ruapehu and it would be closed every day sometimes. Crazily frustrating and when it was open the crowds were impossible. Probably better now because the lift infrastructure has been improved a bit.

Reactions: teleroo

essjaywhy

One of Us
Jul 24, 2012
Akl NZ

Just buy flexi-flights and then play the weather : Wanaka and Rua really dont get the same systems ... so book nz domestic a day before you leave home
TC gets the best nz snow quality and way better weather;
TC has moderate crowds, but closes 3rd weekend in Sept and thats right when Rua comes on thru Nov.
TC has pretty good infield terrain and has very good side b.c but Rua has way bigger and better.
Cards has ... better , ... um , ok it doesnt really beat those 2 on vital matters

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Just buy flexi-flights and then play the weather : Wanaka and Rua really dont get the same systems ... so book nz domestic a day before you leave home
TC gets the best nz snow quality and way better weather;
TC has moderate crowds, but closes 3rd weekend in Sept and thats right when Rua comes on thru Nov.
TC has pretty good infield terrain and has very good side b.c but Rua has way bigger and better.
Cards has ... better , ... um , ok it doesnt really beat those 2 on vital matters
Ruapehu roads are a doddle compared to TC!

This is important to some aussies (my wife).

Reactions: essjaywhy

BMWRX

One of Us
Apr 7, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Ruapehu roads are a doddle compared to TC!

This is important to some aussies (my wife).

Our first year doing Wanaka we hired a Fiat Punto (no 4WD's left to hire). Let's just say that I enjoyed the drives up and down the hills and my partner "insisted" (putting it lightly) that we never do it again unless we have something a bit more suited to that kind of driving.

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017
Our first year doing Wanaka we hired a Fiat Punto (no 4WD's left to hire). Let's just say that I enjoyed the drives up and down the hills and my partner "insisted" (putting it lightly) that we never do it again unless we have something a bit more suited to that kind of driving.
Fiat Punto?...........never seen that model in hire car fleets in the sthn lakes of NZ.
Who did you hire from?

Dave6

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2006
Brisbane
If its bad weather I'll be dinking around in a Hilux Surf 3.4l petrol for the weekend.
One like this. Chewed a lot of juice if I remember rightly.

20170812_171536.jpg

Reactions: DidSurfNowSki

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
For some places (in particular Dobo and Ohau) they really need to get a decent base down, because the terrain is so sharky if not. This dump looks good to put down some filler in those gaps and hopefully the timing is right so it stays there

Reactions: Dumphfish

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
MOD NOTE:
Evening Folks, a reminder this NZ thread sits under 'Travel' where discussion relates to travel to all and sundry NZ destinations. There's still plenty of latitude to discuss conditions, however, all Weather forecasts & 'Weather observational' posts are to be posted in the NZ Weather thread here:
https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/new-zealand-mountain-weather-for-2021.89432/page-2

Trip reports and discussions on notable conditions are fine in here, just keep it Travel centric. i.e. Posts relating to conditions impacting operations such as resort closures, access etc. go here.

Reactions: Untele-whippet

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Its pretty rare that SH1 gets knocked out...down there.

I vaguely remember a time back in the 80's or 90's going on the bus back to Christchurch during floods in Canterbury. After several hours delay and a detour or two we were finally able to get in to Christchurch late that night.

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
Flights booked Finally going to make it to NZ to ski.
Re my Plans so far.. Sat August 7th, late arrival Christchurch mid night,ish . Pick up Hire car Sunday, head to accom in Wanaka for 6 days, plan to ski Cardona and possibly TC. Then 2 nights Sat & Sun just outside Queenstown, to do touristy stuff.
So we have 3 nights before we depart on Thursday. We would like to have a look around Christchurch, 2 nights. Not sure if to travel Queenstown to CHC on the Monday and have 3 nights near CHC or spend a night on the way to CHC, just not sure where.? Im open to suggestions, thanks

Dumphfish

Addicted
Oct 9, 2017
Re my Plans so far.. Sat August 7th, late arrival Christchurch mid night,ish . Pick up Hire car Sunday, head to accom in Wanaka for 6 days, plan to ski Cardona and possibly TC. Then 2 nights Sat & Sun just outside Queenstown, to do touristy stuff.
So we have 3 nights before we depart on Thursday. We would like to have a look around Christchurch, 2 nights. Not sure if to travel Queenstown to CHC on the Monday and have 3 nights near CHC or spend a night on the way to CHC, just not sure where.? Im open to suggestions, thanks
Maybe stay at Lake Ohau Lodge and ski Ohau on the way back. Beautiful place, great skiing/biking/walking and wonderful contrast to the Queenstown/Wanaka resorts and their busyness.

dr80

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 8, 2012
Vic surf coast
Leave it open and do whatever you feel like according to the weather, snow conditions.
You do not need to book accom in advance for the last 3 nights.
I would go via Ohau / Tekapo and ski the McKenzie fields.
Also Porter's is a great ski field 40mins from CHC.
One day to look around CHC would be enough for me.

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
Squeeze in a day at Mt Hutt.

Reactions: mannyk

Mark_435

Hard Yards
Dec 9, 2015
So we are staying at Wanaka the last week of July skiing/boarding Cardrona and Treble Cone and I'm looking for advice on where to hire a premium board? Haven't found much on google regards boards and recommendations. All advice appreciated.

cheers,
Mark

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
So we are staying at Wanaka the last week of July skiing/boarding Cardrona and Treble Cone and I'm looking for advice on where to hire a premium board? Haven't found much on google regards boards and recommendations. All advice appreciated.

cheers,
Mark

Plenty of rental shops in Wanaka. Can't offer advice on boards, but main one for boards would probably be Base on Helwick St. All actually pretty easy to find on Google.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass