NZ 2021

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017
Flights booked Finally going to make it to NZ to ski.
Re my Plans so far.. Sat August 7th, late arrival Christchurch mid night,ish . Pick up Hire car Sunday, head to accom in Wanaka for 6 days, plan to ski Cardona and possibly TC. Then 2 nights Sat & Sun just outside Queenstown, to do touristy stuff.
So we have 3 nights before we depart on Thursday. We would like to have a look around Christchurch, 2 nights. Not sure if to travel Queenstown to CHC on the Monday and have 3 nights near CHC or spend a night on the way to CHC, just not sure where.? Im open to suggestions, thanks
If your into astronomy an overnight in Tekapo is good. (About half way between Queenstown and Christchurch). They run night tours out/up to the observatory with very large telescope. We took the kids up there years ago on a cold clear night.........was pretty amazing. They also run 1hr joy flights from Tekapo (plane and helicopter), out over and around Mt Cook. Great experience!

Reactions: mannyk

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
So we are staying at Wanaka the last week of July skiing/boarding Cardrona and Treble Cone and I'm looking for advice on where to hire a premium board? Haven't found much on google regards boards and recommendations. All advice appreciated.

cheers,
Mark

howdy Mark,

I’m not a boarder but I hang out in Wanaka from time to time.

You could also try Racer’s Edge on the main drag:

or Outside Sports (quite big shop & a chain of 4-5 outlets) in Ardmore St near New World Shopping Centre:

Good luck - I don’t hire much - except for kids alpine ski et al.

By the way, there’s a lot of gear on both mountains but you’ll eat up into your day #1. On the flip side I can vouch for how well the Cardrona rental shop is run and you have the advantage of indefinite swapping to suit your boarding/conditions.

Reactions: Mark_435

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
Thanks for all the tips. The last 3 days will be a wait and see depending on the weather.
Now have the hire car sorted. bargainrentals.co.nz
Toyota Kluger 11 days@$65 per day. Im happy with that..
All sorted..now excited.

Heinz

Have skis, will travel - Once borders open again..
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Saw this article in the ODT welcoming the ski season with a few familiar faces.

This included the premiere of a new documentary film "In Search of Koura Ma: The Story of Skiing in Wanaka" made by Hugh Barnard and featuring several other Wanaka identities. I've had several very enjoyable adventures with Hugh in years gone by in various spots around the world

As a result I stumbled across this cool film using the same term from Mark Sedon from 2014 aiming to climb all 18 2500m peaks in the Southern Lakes. That was the year before the heli accident on Mt Alta. I was skiing in the other side of the Matuki that day.

Reactions: oreo

Heinz

Have skis, will travel - Once borders open again..
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
So we are staying at Wanaka the last week of July skiing/boarding Cardrona and Treble Cone and I'm looking for advice on where to hire a premium board? Haven't found much on google regards boards and recommendations. All advice appreciated.

cheers,
Mark
Plenty of rental shops in Wanaka. Can't offer advice on boards, but main one for boards would probably be Base on Helwick St. All actually pretty easy to find on Google.

Thought I should expand a little on my previous response. Note however that comments come from the perspective of a skier and more specifically a long time heli-skier with HMH, so can't offer advice specific to boards. All of the shops listed below are located in central Wanaka as per Google map, so easy to visit all within a few mins.

Racers Edge on Ardmore St is one of the older ski shops in Wanaka, more traditional so probably more skewed to skiers. They have a close relationship with HMH. HMH have their front desk inside Racers Edge shop. As a result this is the shop I am most familiar with. Have rented/bought plenty of gear from Shaker (the owner) over the years, including my current skis after demoing a few different option heliskiing. Shaker has looked after me pretty well. They do have boards but can't speak for their range or expertise on that front.

Outside sports formerly Good Sports on Dunmore St is also one of the older shops. They used to also run shuttle services to the resorts, so used those services quite a bit. Have also bought some gear, mostly clothing and accessories from them.

MT Outdoors also on Dunmore St is the best place for backcountry stuff ie. touring gear, safety stuff, packs etc. I have used them a bit also. Pretty sure they didn't do any boards though, so won't be what you are after.

Base is a somewhat newer outlet, but are now one the larger players. They have a couple of stores in town on Helwick St. I've only occasionally wandered into them and the quick impression I got was that they were more snowboard focused hence my previous suggestion. I've never actually bought anything there. They are also associated with the other main heli-ski operation in town.

Green Toad is a fairly small shop in Pembroke Mall. I really know nothing at all about them, having just walked past, but they did appear to be very much more snowboard focused.

ScottGN

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 14, 2010
Tāmaki Makaurau - Auckland
Its a massive pimple in a onshore flow. Just cops weather.
Its probably the biggest mountain I've seen besides the volcanos on maui.
Its very impressive.
She’s a beauty alright
0679F6ED-4595-4D29-B38A-B41D8D687510.jpeg

Ecstatic

Hard Yards
Oct 30, 2017
Got some stuff booked around Mt Hutt and Tekapo in August. Can't find anyone offering travel insurance for international trips. TID and InsureandGo won't cover NZ. Any advice?

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
Got some stuff booked around Mt Hutt and Tekapo in August. Can't find anyone offering travel insurance for international trips. TID and InsureandGo won't cover NZ. Any advice?
Air NZ offered travel ins with the flight. I did find another but dont remember it was a health fund by memory $250
Covermore with winter sports $302 There are a few out there..

Reactions: Kimski and grantn

grantn

Addicted
Aug 10, 2011
Qantas have travel insurance that does cover some covid related claims. There is lots of stuff they exclude too. Just reading through the PDS now. Might be a case of beggars can't be choosers.....................

Reactions: Kimski

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
You always have the ACC to fall back on for an accident/injury... Won't help with covid travel restrictions (but I bet that's an exclusion anyway) or medical conditions.

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
I just went with my usual credit card included insurance. It probably doesn’t include Covid but I’ve booked this trip knowing it could always go tits up at the last minute.

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
I just went with my usual credit card included insurance. It probably doesn’t include Covid but I’ve booked this trip knowing it could always go tits up at the last minute.
NZ air didnt cover covid either.. but how long do we have to hide under our rock just in case shit happens..

Ecstatic

Hard Yards
Oct 30, 2017
Not fussed on Covid cancellation refunds, most of my bookings will work as credits. I just want typical ski travel insurance that covers my hospital and airfares if I tear another ACL on the hill.

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
Not fussed on Covid cancellation refunds, most of my bookings will work as credits. I just want typical ski travel insurance that covers my hospital and airfares if I tear another ACL on the hill.
Who are you traveling with, have you checked with them?

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
I've successfully used CoverMore in years past. Have not checked them recently.

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
Its a massive pimple in a onshore flow. Just cops weather.
Its probably the biggest mountain I've seen besides the volcanos on maui.
Its very impressive.
When the sun shines there on a good base, there is simply nothing like it in Australasia.

On the other days, of which there are unfortunately quite a few, well there's always the Big Carrot. :)

Reactions: teleroo

Zeroz

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 8, 2002
Bouvet Island
www.banipal.co.uk
How things have changed in 3 years, over triple the price :(

2018 2021

1623979939638.png
1623979970253.png

Shop around. In late July I am also renting a 4WD from CHC for about two weeks

Hertz is only $800-$900 for same dates for a Rav4 or CX5. Even if you opt for the b.s. insurance and add-ons it's half of ^^

(And yes Hertz is apparently priced for tourists but I don't care plus I had weird Hertz Points which gave me a bunch of free days)

Reactions: TOFF

dan72

Hard Yards
Jul 21, 2017
Shop around. In late July I am also renting a 4WD from CHC for about two weeks

Hertz is only $800-$900 for same dates for a Rav4 or CX5. Even if you opt for the b.s. insurance and add-ons it's half of ^^

(And yes Hertz is apparently priced for tourists but I don't care plus I had weird Hertz Points which gave me a bunch of free days)
Yeh ive been shopping around, was just pointing out the difference in that company since i last rented in NZ.

where did you see Hertz Rav4 at that price, i checked this morning and they were $2300 for same dates

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
How things have changed in 3 years, over triple the price :(

2018 2021

1623979939638.png
1623979970253.png

Stock is pretty low atm, Most sold their cars due to covid. The old supply and demand comes into play.
I have a Highlander/Kluger $750 11 days out of CHC Early August. Hire cars awd or 4wd were getting hard to find a few weeks ago.

Reactions: nezumi
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass