NZ 2021

N0frilz

Addicted
Jul 13, 2015
around
My sister and BIL have today after over 3 hours on hold to Qantas were eventually able to change their flight booking to ZQN to go via MEL rather than SYD.

Maybe if I change my license and address to vic and stayed in vic I could get over the ditch.

TOFF

Your face is my case
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Was meant to be flying into Queenstown and meeting mates from Sydney on 20/8 for a week in Wanaka (TC and Cardrona), then fly to Wellington for a week at Ohakune, drive to Auckland and fly home.

What to do

Heinz

Fully vaccinated and travelling again!
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Was meant to be flying into Queenstown and meeting mates from Sydney on 20/8 for a week in Wanaka (TC and Cardrona), then fly to Wellington for a week at Ohakune, drive to Auckland and fly home.

What to do

Sydney guys will likely have a problem getting there. One advantage of being in Adelaide is that we do have the option of switch flights to go via Melbourne or Sydney or direct to Auckland (but fewer flights). My sister managed to change her flight to go via Melbourne rather than Sydney. Just need to keep the plague out of Vic & SA.

Reactions: Kimski

TOFF

Your face is my case
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Sydney guys will likely have a problem getting there. One advantage of being in Adelaide is that we do have the option of switch flights to go via Melbourne or Sydney or direct to Auckland (but fewer flights). My sister managed to change her flight to go via Melbourne rather than Sydney. Just need to keep the plague out of Vic & SA.
Yeah we're pretty sure they wont be going but happy to still wait another couple of week hoping for a dramatic turnaround.
Maybe I'll just do a week in Qtown and see who else I can convince to join me at short notice.

Petergm

Hard Yards
Aug 14, 2015
Originally travelling from Tassie to Queenstown via Sydney in mid August but have now changed booking to go via Melbourne.
Here's hoping everything runs to plan.

Reactions: Kimski and mannyk

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Originally travelling from Tassie to Queenstown via Sydney in mid August but have now changed booking to go via Melbourne.
Here's hoping everything runs to plan.
Which airline are you travelling on?

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
Seems at the moment that the safest place to go skiing is NZ. Seeing they have the bug pretty contained. Sth Island seems to be even better.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
effing NSW removalists have now infected people in Melbourne. Thanks Gladys. :mad:
Hope they quickly jump on top of it in Melbourne which I know they will.
But had a quick look at ADL-AKL flights as a contingency - run Wed or Fri which could still work.

Reactions: ScottGN and Kimski

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
effing NSW removalists have now infected people in Melbourne. Thanks Gladys. :mad:
Hope they quickly jump on top of it in Melbourne which I know they will.
But had a quick look at ADL-AKL flights as a contingency - run Wed or Fri which could still work.
If SA close the border to Vic I’ll have to look at this option as I currently have to stay overnight in Melbourne on my way to Queenstown with Jetstar.

Pretty sure I can do some last minute changes with leave at work if I need to. Of course that’s if NZ doesn’t close to all of Australia (can’t say I’d blame them to be honest).

Reactions: ScottGN

ScottGN

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 14, 2010
Tāmaki Makaurau - Auckland
NZ Covid Response Minister has just said this evening that anyone planning to travel from NZ to Victoria should postpone if possible and anyone currently in Victoria should head home now if they aren’t able to sustain themselves for the duration (however long it may be) of a travel pause. Sounds like he will pull the pin tomorrow if the situation in Melbourne worsens.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/he...erned-about-bubble-pause-should-get-home-asap

• Sad
Reactions: chunky

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
NZ Covid Response Minister has just said this evening that anyone planning to travel from NZ to Victoria should postpone if possible and anyone currently in Victoria should head home now if they aren’t able to sustain themselves for the duration (however long it may be) of a travel pause. Sounds like he will pull the pin tomorrow if the situation in Melbourne worsens.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/he...erned-about-bubble-pause-should-get-home-asap
They pulled the plug on Queensland for 2 cases
Vic has 7

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002

chunky

Pool Room
Jul 24, 1998
brisbane,qld,aus
Well West Coast South Island is going to be very wet these next couple of days. Expecting up to 350 - 400mm on the ranges. Won't be pleasant or great for hiking in that! On the upside hopefully some good snow up high.

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Well West Coast South Island is going to be very wet these next couple of days. Expecting up to 350 - 400mm on the ranges. Won't be pleasant or great for hiking in that! On the upside hopefully some good snow up high.
Not sure whether to hope for good or bad snow weather at the moment. Meant to be travelling from Adelaide to Qtn in two weeks. If my trip gets cancelled at least it won’t sting as much of the snow is crap!

Zeroz

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 8, 2002
Bouvet Island
www.banipal.co.uk
Sadly, I cancelled all our NZ accom, heli, car, for our 1 August trip.
Remarkably easy and quick, and the people just seem resigned to the turmoil and loss of revenue.

I was hoping to maybe reschedule to late Aug but the way NSW is going Jacinda won't allow anyone in until 2022.

• Sad

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Sadly, I cancelled all our NZ accom, heli, car, for our 1 August trip.
Remarkably easy and quick, and the people just seem resigned to the turmoil and loss of revenue.

I was hoping to maybe reschedule to late Aug but the way NSW is going Jacinda won't allow anyone in until 2022.
Sad that you had to cancel but at least the process was painless.

My trip is booked for 1 August. Here in SA at least it’s still a chance.

Reactions: Zeroz

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Mutter, mutter, mutter...

Latest update — 16 July 2021​

• You can travel quarantine-free to New Zealand from ACT, Northern Territory, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania and Western Australia.
  • Quarantine-free travel from Victoria and New South Wales (NSW) is paused.
  • You cannot travel to New Zealand on a quarantine-free flight from elsewhere in Australia if you were in NSW after 10:30pm (NZT) on 26 June 2021, or if you were in Victoria after 1:59am (NZT) on Friday 16 July.
  • You cannot transit through NSW or Victoria by air or land to get to New Zealand.
  • You'll need a negative pre-departure test to enter New Zealand if you have been in Australia for more than 72 hours.
Pre-departure test requirements

Travel information for Victoria

Travel information for NSW

Option #1 - Give up all hope of skiing in NZ, cancel leave, flights, accommodation and car rental
Option #1a - Keep skiing NSW resorts until we can't
Option #1c - Ski ACT BC until we can't

Option #2 - Book accommodation in Jindy for 2 weeks, keep skiing NSW resorts until we can't

Option #3 - See if "You cannot travel to New Zealand on a quarantine-free flight from elsewhere in Australia if you were in NSW after 10:30pm (NZT) on 26 June 2021" changes at all during the week. If it does and could be eligible for NZ entry, cease all resort skiing in NSW. Find a flight from ACT that gets to CHC without going through NSW or VIC or anywhere else plague ridden

Option #4 - Plague in ACT. Rant and rage at NSW and VIC residents on forums. Get the hiking gear out. Go and hide out in Namadgi.

Reactions: Kimski and grantn

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
So a few days ago I got an email from Qantas saying they had cancelled the 6am ADL/MEL flight and updated my booking to the next flight at 9am. Which of course is totally useless as I had a connecting 9am MEL/WLG flight which obviously is now NOT connecting. This would mean flying to Melbourne the previous day and overnighting, but I wasn't able to change booking online and they were saying not to call due to high volumes unless flight was in next few days.

So I had another look at the direct ADL/AKL option with Air NZ. These flights run Wed, Fri & Sun. Actually works well for me as I had already got the previous day off, gets me to Wellington on the day, so get a bonus day there and avoids having to worry about situation in Victoria for now. Now we just need to control the borders and keep the plague out of SA!

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
So a few days ago I got an email from Qantas saying they had cancelled the 6am ADL/MEL flight and updated my booking to the next flight at 9am. Which of course is totally useless as I had a connecting 9am MEL/WLG flight which obviously is now NOT connecting. This would mean flying to Melbourne the previous day and overnighting, but I wasn't able to change booking online and they were saying not to call due to high volumes unless flight was in next few days.

So I had another look at the direct ADL/AKL option with Air NZ. These flights run Wed, Fri & Sun. Actually works well for me as I had already got the previous day off, gets me to Wellington on the day, so get a bonus day there and avoids having to worry about situation in Victoria for now. Now we just need to control the borders and keep the plague out of SA!
Good work! Hoping Jetstar cancels my flights so I can do something similar (also I’m Adelaide).

When do you leave?

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Good work! Hoping Jetstar cancels my flights so I can do something similar (also I’m Adelaide).

When do you leave?

Wed Jul 28 12:15 NZ192
I still have to call Qantas later before departure to cancel the QF ADL/MEL/WLG flights. Still coming back QF ZQN/MEL/ADL.

FYI ADL/AKL flights run Wed, Fri & Sun
AKL/ADL 08:40/11:05 NZ191
ADL/AKL 12:15/18:55 NZ192

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
Still no comment about cancelling NZ bubble with SA?. I guess its early days

expatgm

One of Us
Aug 4, 2014
Queenstown
Hi @Red_switch is there any correlation between the floods on the west coast and rising ocean temperatures in the Tasman Sea.
The present weather patterns are weird to say the least. As you appear to have been well educated on these matters I appreciate your thoughts. Thanks

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
Hi @Red_switch is there any correlation between the floods on the west coast and rising ocean temperatures in the Tasman Sea.
The present weather patterns are weird to say the least. As you appear to have been well educated on these matters I appreciate your thoughts. Thanks
Wrong thread :thumbs:

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
Yes an 81 year old returning from Argentina via 2 weeks in QH/hospital in Sydney with his daughter who has also tested positive as well as another close contact.
Probably not the right thread to comment, but Id like to know if they where negative when the arrived at HQ?

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Probably not the right thread to comment, but Id like to know if they where negative when the arrived at HQ?
Yes they had tested negative in their time in Sydney. They returned to SA before the restrictions on Sydney were put in place.
And yes there is a specific SA thread for this.

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Not totally unexpected.

Important information about your flight​

We've announced further network changes in response to the ongoing Coronavirus situation and as a result we've had to cancel your flight QF137 from Sydney at 8:50AM on 06Aug2021.

• Sad
Reactions: GlenH

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Not totally unexpected.

Important information about your flight​

We've announced further network changes in response to the ongoing Coronavirus situation and as a result we've had to cancel your flight QF137 from Sydney at 8:50AM on 06Aug2021.
Damn! Sorry for you!

kja

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Sep 25, 2017
Has been relaxed slightly at least (for now)

https://covid19.govt.nz/travel/quarantine-free-travel/australia/

Latest update — 20 July
  • Quarantine-free travel from Victoria to New Zealand remains paused. The Government will review the pause on Wednesday 21 July.
  • If you were in New South Wales (NSW)after 10:30pm (NZT) on 26 June 2021 or in Victoria after 1:59am (NZT) on 16 July, you can travel to New Zealand from elsewhere on a quarantine-free flight as long as you were not in either state in the 14 days before your flight. You must also meet all conditions for flying quarantine-free.

Red_switch

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2006
Dunedin, NZ
The short answer is: yes, sort of. The long answer is: yes, sort of, but not really, it's complicated. I'll try to remember to come back to this - it's interesting stuff!

Reactions: expatgm and ScottGN
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass