NZ 2021

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
Getting nervous about Qld and entry.
Ive got to the stage where Im thinking fk it, If I get on the bird day of booked flight then good. But not trying to get excited about going, which is a shame. KInda weird having someone else tell you if you can leave the country or not. :headbang: :headbang: :crap:

Reactions: chunky and Kimski

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Travel from Sth Australia to NZ is paused for 7 days. Press Release from the NZ Covid Response Minister.

Not surprised. My trip is going down to the wire (meant to be leaving on 31 July). I don’t want to give up on it though. The addiction is strong!

Postponing is an option. Will see how cases go here for the next days and make a decision.

Reactions: ScottGN

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Don't really care now we've got a season in Aus ; not worth the uncertainty and stress

Some of us have no snow in our state and can’t travel anywhere else either. Doing a Vic trip once their lockdown is over is an option but of course need to also rely on SA restrictions lifting. Sigh. Wish going on holiday wasn’t so hard and stressful.

Reactions: dr80

chunky

Pool Room
Jul 24, 1998
brisbane,qld,aus
Ive got to the stage where Im thinking fk it, If I get on the bird day of booked flight then good. But not trying to get excited about going, which is a shame. KInda weird having someone else tell you if you can leave the country or not. :headbang: :headbang: :crap:
yeah that's how I am feeling. A little deflated and trying not to get too excited cos it just means a bigger let down.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
Just hanging on by a thread. :(
Scheduled departure was Jul 28 (1 week). Most likely will be delayed, hopefully not too much. I need this.
Best of luck. I'm hoping there are some punters that get to slide on snow this season. I enjoy it vicariously.
I personally will leave it until the last minute. Being from Brisbane I think my best bet is NZ somewhere. I will hopefully go at some point in August when the base is hopefully a bit better. If August is no good I'll shoot for spring skiing at Ruapehu later in the season.

Reactions: ScottGN

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Just hanging on by a thread. :(
Scheduled departure was Jul 28 (1 week). Most likely will be delayed, hopefully not too much. I need this.
I’m looking at delaying too. There’s still hope so I don’t want to cancel yet.

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
Not the most stellar start to the season in the Southern Lakes but it's also pretty good if you get up higher. Photo from Monday. Hope you all get to make it over. My photo - not me skiing.

210719.jpg

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Not the most stellar start to the season in the Southern Lakes but it's also pretty good if you get up higher. Photo from Monday. Hope you all get to make it over. My photo - not me skiing.

210719.jpg
Who knows. If SA get on top of the outbreak, I postpone my trip and Queenstown area gets a dump it could be a bless god in disguise. That’s if I have any leave left by then that is.

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
Who knows. If SA get on top of the outbreak, I postpone my trip and Queenstown area gets a dump it could be a bless god in disguise. That’s if I have any leave left by then that is.
Thats it.. "No mistakes".. :thumbs: If I end up delaying my trip until Sept, then I will get to see what its like. Id rather not re book everything,, PITA.
Fingers crossed, here in Q were doing ok atm. touch wood.

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Thats it.. "No mistakes".. :thumbs: If I end up delaying my trip until Sept, then I will get to see what its like. Id rather not re book everything,, PITA.
Fingers crossed, here in Q were doing ok atm. touch wood.
Nah, who am I kidding, I’m just at the bargaining stage of grief

Reactions: grantn and mannyk

grantn

Addicted
Aug 10, 2011
A bizarre positive of attempting travel in a pandemic - it is a very, very fast turnaround to get your passport if you need to renew (because no one is travelling!). My 19yr old son (who is hopefully travelling with us early August, leaving Brisbane) has left his run very late to renew. Normally takes about 3 weeks. He put his application in Monday arvo - and it is ready to pick up today, 2 days later!

I have totally let go of any expectations. If I can manage to get on a plane this year and leave the country, I figure I have cracked the code. I am being uber flexible. Have booked car and flights, nothing else. If I can get there we will make it up as we go along.

Reactions: Kimski

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
A bizarre positive of attempting travel in a pandemic - it is a very, very fast turnaround to get your passport if you need to renew (because no one is travelling!). My 19yr old son (who is hopefully travelling with us early August, leaving Brisbane) has left his run very late to renew. Normally takes about 3 weeks. He put his application in Monday arvo - and it is ready to pick up today, 2 days later!

I have totally let go of any expectations. If I can manage to get on a plane this year and leave the country, I figure I have cracked the code. I am being uber flexible. Have booked car and flights, nothing else. If I can get there we will make it up as we go along.
Welcome to the hopefuls.. I have everything booked, but the way things are accommodation shouldnt be a problem for you. :thumbs:

Reactions: Kimski and grantn

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Yeah I've just unwound everything. Cancelled the flight back from NZ after Qantas cancelled the flight over, cancelled the car and accommodation. Even though people from the ACT can still go, the killer was being unable to transit through NSW, SA or VIC and having to stay out of NSW for 14 days prior.

Shrike

Addicted
Jan 1, 2018
SE Melbourne
Looks like NZ are discussing pausing the bubble with all of Australia, should hear more later today. Hoping the open back up once a few states open back up. Still holding up for my trip on the 21st Aug, but everything is refundable so all good

Reactions: TOFF

TOFF

Your face is my case
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Looks like NZ are discussing pausing the bubble with all of Australia, should hear more later today. Hoping the open back up once a few states open back up. Still holding up for my trip on the 21st Aug, but everything is refundable so all good
Im aiming for 20th so fingers crossed for us both

Reactions: Kimski and Shrike

nz2021

First Runs
Jul 22, 2021
Where did you hear this my flight is on Sunday :eek:

LDJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2017
I once did this years ago and sent letter with my passport saying I was off skiing in NZ in 3 weeks and asking them to fast track. They returned it in 2 weeks and said have an awesome ski trip and enjoy some steinlarger pure Absolute legend whoever it was I was fully expecting to have to miss the trip

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
Ohau got about 25cm and finally looking it's usual (still sharky) self

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Was meant to be leaving 31 July but have had a chat with the boss today about postponing my leave so that’s sorted. Maybe thinking around mid August.

I assume you’re not in Sydney Shrike

Shrike

Addicted
Jan 1, 2018
SE Melbourne
Was meant to be leaving 31 July but have had a chat with the boss today about postponing my leave so that’s sorted. Maybe thinking around mid August.

I assume you’re not in Sydney Shrike
In Melbourne thankfully, feel for everyone in NSW though

nz2021

First Runs
Jul 22, 2021
What a load of shit they basically shut the border because they dont have staff at the airports to check the covid tests what a crock of shit

Reactions: BMWRX

BMWRX

One of Us
Apr 7, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
What a load of shit they basically shut the border because they dont have staff at the airports to check the covid tests what a crock of shit
This. This is what does my head in. Partly that staffing can't be easily organised and that people simply (again) aren't doing what is being asked of them by traveling without the test.

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
Was expecting a shut out. But 8 weeks hurts. Guess we'll reschedule, whilst missing the snow may suck, we really need a proper break, and dearly miss our mates living over there.

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
I've now got my sights on some spring turns at Ruapehu. Early October I'm hoping.
Realistically though I'm expecting Covid will be 'raging' in most parts of Oz by then. We have a perfect storm brewing. A society that is fatigued by Covid lockdowns, a society who will be increasingly vaccinated (therefore less compliant) and a variant that is incredibly contagious.

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
Sadly I think you are right. Already seen that in other parts of the world. NZ has just been so so so lucky. You can't put it down to a lot more than that. Each time a new case has popped up it just seems to not spread somehow... Everyone here is SO complacent now

Reactions: Kimski and Aquila

expatgm

One of Us
Aug 4, 2014
Queenstown
Sadly I think you are right. Already seen that in other parts of the world. NZ has just been so so so lucky. You can't put it down to a lot more than that. Each time a new case has popped up it just seems to not spread somehow... Everyone here is SO complacent now

i don’t think we are being complacent every time there’s been the possibility of a community case the authorities have jumped on it like a ton of bricks as what happened in Wellington a few weeks ago and that was the same approach since the beginning .As Jacinda and Dr Bloomfield reiterated at today’s announcement this has kept the virus out of the country and I think we should be thankful for that.

Heinz

Fully vaccinated and travelling again!
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
i don’t think we are being complacent every time there’s been the possibility of a community case the authorities have jumped on it like a ton of bricks as what happened in Wellington a few weeks ago and that was the same approach since the beginning .As Jacinda and Dr Bloomfield reiterated at today’s announcement this has kept the virus out of the country and I think we should be thankful for that.
And that has been the same response that has been taken throughout Australia apart of course from NSW who wrongly believed their 'Gold standard' would be sufficient :(

Reactions: TOFF

BMWRX

One of Us
Apr 7, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
no NZ for another year GRRRRRR !!!!
My next chance will be Southern winter next year as I can't see Japan happening in 21/22. That'll mean two and a half years off the snow.
Was expecting a shut out. But 8 weeks hurts. Guess we'll reschedule, whilst missing the snow may suck, we really need a proper break, and dearly miss our mates living over there.
My partner just left her job with a new one planned for when we returned from QT. So, without the trip she's not getting a holiday for another year.

• Sad
Reactions: Kimski

johnski

Hard Yards
Jan 1, 1970
Perth
They could have kept the AirNZ Perth - Auckland flights going, we aren't in lockdown, lame that we get bundled with the East Coast mess...
Agree with this I’m in Perth was due to be flying two weeks today - no cases at all in the west - to get lumped with blanket restrictions across whole of Aus is painful and bad option for the nz snowfields who could do with the $ - was due to be heading to craigieburn who have just lost their access road due to rain - guests spending $ key to keeping the fields going.

• Sad
Reactions: Kimski and Aquila

Petergm

Hard Yards
Aug 14, 2015
Extreme disappointment for our family tonight. We were booked for 10 days in NZ from 11th August to celebrate my wife’s 60th birthday with the entire family. Booked a week at Wanaka and Cardrona where our children (now adults) learnt to ski in the ski wee program. We had booked our grand daughter into ski weeks this time which we were looking to see her follow in the family’s footsteps.

Now to spend the weekend cancelling all the bookings and hopefully I don’t lose too much money through the process.

Very disappointed.

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
Not knocking the govt or their decisions. Dead right in that. I'm talking about the general public. I see almost no one scanning for contact tracing for example. It's hard to believe weve had several community cases and each time it doesnt spread AT ALL? The northland one, and more recently that Wellington one. I'm sure we did a good effort at contact tracing everyone, but no spread whatsoever yet again? I think that has to be sone luck

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass