NZ 2021

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
My next chance will be Southern winter next year as I can't see Japan happening in 21/22. That'll mean two and a half years off the snow.

My partner just left her job with a new one planned for when we returned from QT. So, without the trip she's not getting a holiday for another year.
Missing out on a well deserved break sucks.

Is anyone else going to try and ski in Aus this year still?

My tentative plan is to try for a Vic ski trip once the border is open with SA again. Not sure if should drive from Adelaide or fly and catch a bus. Driving gives me more flexibility if everything goes south but I’ll be going solo, my car is 18 years old, I hardly ever drive long distances and have never driven in snow before. Would probably take time and driver there over two days (sorry for the off topic).

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
So have gone through and done most of the cancellations. A rather sad process. First time I have ever had to cancel an entire trip before starting. Don't lose much in dollar terms as long as I can use the flight credits. Holding out a glimmer of hope of trying again in a couple of months, but have little confidence of NSW digging themselves out of the hole they are in and consigned to the rest of the country. Will definitely look use the ADL/AKL route though if bubble does resume.

• Sad
Reactions: Zeroz and Kimski

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
So have gone through and done most of the cancellations. A rather sad process. First time I have ever had to cancel an entire trip before starting. Don't lose much in dollar terms as long as I can use the flight credits. Holding out a glimmer of hope of trying again in a couple of months, but have little confidence of NSW digging themselves out of the hole they are in and consigned to the rest of the country. Will definitely look use the ADL/AKL route though if bubble does resume.
Same here with never having to cancel an entire trip. Was very lucky with the cancelled Adelaide to Melbourne flight which enabled me to get a full refund for all my flights. The only money I don’t get back is $55 for Club Jetstar membership which I bought to get the cheaper flights. It’s pretty much nothing in the scheme of things.

Reactions: Zeroz and Heinz

BMWRX

One of Us
Apr 7, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Missing out on a well deserved break sucks.

Is anyone else going to try and ski in Aus this year still?
Even if borders were open, I'd still be hesitant. If the fields got found to be a hotspot I can't afford to have to stay home quarantining. Plus getting another week of leave so soon will be impossible.

We've pretty much written off skiing this year.

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Even if borders were open, I'd still be hesitant. If the fields got found to be a hotspot I can't afford to have to stay home quarantining. Plus getting another week of leave so soon will be impossible.

We've pretty much written off skiing this year.
I’m pretty lucky that my work can be flexible with leave at the moment. I’ll reassess if the border between SA and Vic opens in time.

I have a work colleague currently quarantine after travelling to Falls Creek. Work are looking after her with a combination of leave and some work from home. I understand not everyone has that safety net.

BMWRX

One of Us
Apr 7, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Now that I'm slowly getting over missing out for the second year in a row, I'm toying with the idea of a cheeky extra-long weekend road trip once (if?) NSW sorts itself out. Leave Brisbane early Thursday evening after work, stop somewhere three or four hours south for the night, then the big push to Jindabyne Friday. Ski Saturday and Sunday, then the same thing on the way back by knocking off a few hours Sunday night before finishing the trip home on Monday.

I'm fully aware that this is highly unlikely with the current state of affairs but it helps to hold onto some hope.

I think I'll need something in the meantime (i.e. until next Southern winter) to keep me sane. I've heard surfing helps quell the demons. Does that work for skiers as well as boarders? I've never surfed before but waves are available year round near Brisbane.

Reactions: Kimski

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Now that I'm slowly getting over missing out for the second year in a row, I'm toying with the idea of a cheeky extra-long weekend road trip once (if?) NSW sorts itself out. Leave Brisbane early Thursday evening after work, stop somewhere three or four hours south for the night, then the big push to Jindabyne Friday. Ski Saturday and Sunday, then the same thing on the way back by knocking off a few hours Sunday night before finishing the trip home on Monday.

I'm fully aware that this is highly unlikely with the current state of affairs but it helps to hold onto some hope.

I think I'll need something in the meantime (i.e. until next Southern winter) to keep me sane. I've heard surfing helps quell the demons. Does that work for skiers as well as boarders? I've never surfed before but waves are available year round near Brisbane.
I’ve got a possible Vic ski trip planned from Adelaide if borders open. Think they’ve got it much more under control than NSW. Might be a bit far from QLD though.

Reactions: nezumi and BMWRX

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
Im in the pissed off boat to..We have also toyed with the idea of late aus ski. Would also drive from GC
How does NZ ski in October?
If were allowed :rolleyes:

singlefin

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2019
Im in the pissed off boat to..We have also toyed with the idea of late aus ski. Would also drive from GC
How does NZ ski in October?
If were allowed :rolleyes:
Depends on base and weather. Usually Hutt is last to shut on South Island but taking a chance on conditions and usually all done by early October. Ruapehu would be a better bet. Or helicopters.

Reactions: Aquila and mannyk
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Aquila

Early Days
Jul 2, 2021
Chch, NZ
Yeah, Ruapehu often has quite a late season, some years they're skiing into November! The final weekend or two at Hutt last year wasn't great and I was pretty ready for it to shut, very patchy and manky snow. That was mid-October

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
With vic, sa and qld (almost) now with no community transmission, any thoughts if Jacinda might reconsider bubble?

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
With vic, sa and qld (almost) now with no community transmission, any thoughts if Jacinda might reconsider bubble?
As much as I would hope I think it very unlikely with NSW on fire. Suspension was for a minimum 8 weeks and impression I got from the presser was that she was most concerned (understandably) with border leakages.
Only way is for NSW to get some measure of control which doesn't appear likely. Would be happy to be proved wrong though.

Reactions: mannyk and Kimski

TOFF

Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
As much as I would hope I think it very unlikely with NSW on fire. Suspension was for a minimum 8 weeks and impression I got from the presser was that she was most concerned (understandably) with border leakages.
Only way is for NSW to get some measure of control which doesn't appear likely. Would be happy to be proved wrong though.
If that’s the measure (NSW getting control) unfortunately we are stuffed in that timeframe.

Reactions: BMWRX

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
If that’s the measure (NSW getting control) unfortunately we are stuffed in that timeframe.
Sadly yes. Unless maybe if we are able to stop the leakages over the border during that time? Can only dream.

Reactions: TOFF

TOFF

Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
No way will Nz open the bubble until aus is covid free again.

what do they have to gain ? A few tourist dollars at the expense of a covid out break?
Was just hoping with qld vic and sa now essentially covid free that it might be a chance
Was really just hopecasting

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
OK, so right NOW I should have been at Adelaide airport checking in for my flight to Auckland! But instead I am sitting at home, going nowhere all thanks to you "Gold standard" Gladys. :mad::headbang:

BMWRX

One of Us
Apr 7, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
And that's the big question. Will we be in much the same position again next year? I'm not overly confident that much will change and it'll be another lottery on whether we'll get to NZ in 2022.

And Cardrona is having an epic week...oh wait, this is the week I'd planned to be there. My partner and I are fully vaccinated, COVID test negative and went out of our way to not go anywhere in the weeks leading up to the trip so that we wouldn't trip over a hotspot. Sadly we needed the bubble open another day...

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Soho willow lift opened 1st ever today at Cards,
Hi Noon6 also opened at Turoa,
Roundhill mega-rope had a good powder week,
Motatapu chutes at TC,
3 roads are being rebuilt at Cheese, Fox & Olympus,
Tukino this w.e
so the season is getting on
Sounds like these 3 are getting a wriggle on? Any more news btw?

I’ve skied Cheesy - so I know a bit about. The Oly road sounds scary?

I planned to ski Fox once on a road trip. Looks very appealing on map and in Chill brochures?
But, Fox seems to be mostly closed. Possibly open on ‘good’ weekends before Spring lambs emerge?

Time to test them again with another trip post Covid? ;)

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
Olympus road is repaired (enough to operate) from last weekend and they're planning on opening soon. Cheeseman if on the way to fixing the road hoping to operate on Saturday.

Snow in the Wanaka/Qtown region was pretty good until about 2 days ago then got a bit wind-jacked from W & NW winds and temperature jumped up to about 1900m yesterday and 2000m today; So it's not epic-all time today/tomorrow.

Reactions: Aquila and Zeroz

essjaywhy

One of Us
Jul 24, 2012
Akl NZ
Sounds like these 3 are getting a wriggle on? Any more news btw?

I’ve skied Cheesy - so I know a bit about. The Oly road sounds scary?

I planned to ski Fox once on a road trip. Looks very appealing on map and in Chill brochures?
But, Fox seems to be mostly closed. Possibly open on ‘good’ weekends before Spring lambs emerge?

Time to test them again with another trip post Covid? ;)
Oly road is always just 4WD , but nowhere near as out-there as the Fox road.

Fox is a bit of a rare score, but its got some of the best and largest S.Is b.c. club field terrain; it can be powder as its in the dry Alps rainshadow/ or else not open for a season . I rate it as the best SIs clubbie.
Aiming for Tues/week there ...

Reactions: snowgum

singlefin

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2019
I got up on a heli yesterday. Epic as always. Really warm though. Not like this time of year should be. Had to stick to shady spots.

will wait until the next storm rolls through before going again.

Reactions: Aquila and snowgum

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
I was meant to be leaving on my NZ trip tomorrow :cry:
I was meant to be hanging out with a mate in Picton this weekend, out on his boat in the Marlborough Sounds and evenings in the local Irish bar recalling stories from the past. :(

• Sad
Reactions: Kimski

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
Anyone having trouble getting a refund from Qantas?.

They have gone very quiet .
Car hire were fine .
NZ air are only providing credit, any refunds that are a option is expected to take at least 8 weeks. Q refunds if available I suspect will be the same time line.
Travel insurance credit, car hire refund, accom, free cancelation. So not out of pocket except for NZ air credit.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide

Car hire were fine .

Unfortunately their online system is still very inadequate in allowing changes or cancellations. I basically had 2 options. Try and call their call centre, waste several hours being put on hold before possibly getting through or else using the online cancel and get flight credit option.

I opted for the flight credit as I absolutely detest being on hold to call centres. They for me are the very last resort. I prefer an email option but Qantas don't have that. Qantas one doesn't even give you an idea of how long you may have to wait.

I just have to hope the Feds can eventually get their act together sufficiently to allow some travel again so that I can use that credit at some stage.

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010

Car hire were fine .
Not Qantas but I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly I was refunded by Jetstar.

Have any of your flights been cancelled? Once one of my flights with Jetstar was cancelled it was an easy form to fill in online and I had the money refunded to me less than a week later. Not sure what the Qantas refund policy is.

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Unfortunately their online system is still very inadequate in allowing changes or cancellations. I basically had 2 options. Try and call their call centre, waste several hours being put on hold before possibly getting through or else using the online cancel and get flight credit option.

I opted for the flight credit as I absolutely detest being on hold to call centres. They for me are the very last resort. I prefer an email option but Qantas don't have that. Qantas one doesn't even give you an idea of how long you may have to wait.

I just have to hope the Feds can eventually get their act together sufficiently to allow some travel again so that I can use that credit at some stage.
Sounds like I was lucky with my refund.

Only other thing booked was accommodation through Booking.com that could be cancelled for free. A few clicks of the mouse and I was done.

It still sucks to have to cancel a trip but I’ll admit not being out of pocket at least softens the blow.

Reactions: Heinz

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Sounds like I was lucky with my refund.

Only other thing booked was accommodation through Booking.com than could be cancelled for free. A few clicks of the mouse and I was done.

It still sucks to have to cancel a trip but I’ll admit not being out of pocket at least softens the blow.

I also did much of my accommodation through Booking.com. Agree that was good. No pre-payment, free cancellation and very simple cancellation process.

BMWRX

One of Us
Apr 7, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I got an email noting my flight credit with QANTAS about ten minutes after cancelling the flights last week. I've heard it can take months to get paid if you opt to get a refund.

rowdyflat

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
OK I will wait. Not even a reply to my online email.
Like Chris my blood boils waiting on hold listening to endless stupid messages and muzak.
I cannot abide these farkwit companies like Qantas and Telstra who cant be contacted except by wasting several hours of your life waiting to speak to someone and cant be emailed .
It is obviously a design of their business model to avoid complaints.
It should be a requirement of consumer law that waiting longer than 10 minutes requires payment to you IMO.
Telstra I get my receptionist to deal with or just contact the TIO by email.

Reactions: Kimski and Heinz

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
OK I will wait. Not even a reply to my online email.
Like Chris my blood boils waiting on hold listening to endless stupid messages and muzak.
I cannot abide these farkwit companies like Qantas and Telstra who cant be contacted except by wasting several hours of your life waiting to speak to someone and cant be emailed .
It is obviously a design of their business model to avoid complaints.
It should be a requirement of consumer law that waiting longer than 10 minutes requires payment to you IMO.
Telstra I get my receptionist to deal with or just contact the TIO by email.
Agree 100%. Call centres shit me. Have some form of online inquiry / email system or resource service desk so you are not on hold for hours. I refuse to do that. Internode at least have a system that estimates wait time and has an option of call back.

N0frilz

Addicted
Jul 13, 2015
around
Agree 100%. Call centres shit me. Have some form of online inquiry / email system or resource service desk so you are not on hold for hours. I refuse to do that. Internode at least have a system that estimates wait time and has an option of call back.
Fly airnz one click and flights cancelled and credited.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Fly airnz one click and flights cancelled and credited.

I had an Air NZ flight also and same deal. Easy to cancel for a flight credit, but if you wanted to cancel and actually get money refunded you also had to go the call centre option, so again I got the flight credit.

N0frilz

Addicted
Jul 13, 2015
around
I had an Air NZ flight also and same deal. Easy to cancel for a flight credit, but if you wanted to cancel and actually get money refunded you also had to go the call centre option, so again I got the flight credit.
Let’s just hope next year is on.

Reactions: Heinz

Dave6

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2006
Brisbane

Car hire were fine .
For some local flights they told me they would refund in about 8 weeks. They did confirm that in an online message on their facebook page. Have never received the email that was promised within 48 hours.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass