NZ 2021

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
Today was supposed to be our flight home after 2 weeks. IF we had been there would we have had to do 14days hotel Q on arrival?

Yes, quarantine free travel from NZ to Australia, which had been continuing ceased with the auckland cases and is 'paused' until August 24.

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
The nz case has come from NSW:rolleyes:
Of course it has, no surprise at all, hence my previous comment.
NSW Govt have been totally inept, not locking down at the start when they needed to and allowing it to spread beyond Sydney to Victoria, SA, Qld, regional NSW and now NZ.

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
Tbh we are having cases arrive at the border every day and they should have been able to be dealt with UNLESS this actually started from a travel bubble traveller who didn't require MIQ. But the bubble ended a while ago and they are pretty confident this has only been out in the least week or 2

Centago

One of Us
May 20, 2008
As has been mentioned already, snow conditions had just come pretty darn good as we entered lockdown midnight Tuesday. Arguably the best conditions of the season, certainly in terms of snow depth, fresh snow on top, and for the widespread nature of the good conditions throughout the Southern Alps (and Ruapehu too).

I was lucky enough to ski the Remarkables on Tuesday, where 31 cm of fresh snow total for the event was reported. My impressions from arrival (9am) was that there was a good 30cm fresh already, and with around 3.5hrs of snowfall during the day, perhaps another 10-12cm fell on top of that. The ongoing snow plus a bit of wind made for free refills in places during the day which was great.

Surprisingly, there were bugger all people up there (relative to the new normal where Remarks has become incredibly popular). The top carpark was only about 70% full ('back in the day' this would've qualified as pretty busy!). I guess the road - chains required for 4WD - and weather - ongoing precip and poor visibility throughout the day - put people off.

I skied nonstop all day, racking up 24 powder-filled runs, which I'm still paying for 2 days later with tired muscles. In hindsight, very grateful I pushed the boat out given the new lockdown that was announced later Tuesday evening, and of course feel lucky I was able to enjoy some skiing at all given all the members of this forum who have had their snow plans curtailed this year and last. A beaut day - only wish I was able to share it with some mates as well!

Snow quality was fantastic - snow was falling down to about 800m a.s.l. during the day on Tuesday and the base elevation of remarks is ~1,600m. Visibility came good three or four times during the day which was fantastic, but otherwise a little challenging. Thankfully I know the area well so was able to navigate no issues, and I know the terrain pretty well too. I had also skied it prior to the new snow arriving so had a fair idea where the rocks would be lurking just beneath the surface (an important consideration as I recently purchased new skis!).

Really hope this is just a temporary pause for our ski season. In lieu of fresh or dry wintry snow, I'm a big fan of the spring corn harvest, so fingers crossed for that opportunity come September. A couple pics from when the visibility came good:

20210817_110525.jpg

Got the timing right for the morning's first clearance on Homeward Bound, with an untouched line from top to bottom. One of the best runs at Remarks when its on IMO, ~380 vertical metres of sustained pitch that doesn't require a hike in or out. A great feeling of camaraderie with strangers at the end of the run whilst waiting for the shuttle to pick up - lots of grins, "chahoos" and high fives.

20210817_130750.jpg

Mid Station Bowl. I must have done about 15 runs through here. After the first few runs you were mostly skiing tracked powder (infilled by fresh snowfall and wind), but occasionally you'd happen upon untracked areas where the turns were sublime. Plenty of "NZ faceshots" on offer, i.e. the type where snow billows over your shoulder and head when you put in a sharp turn LOL

20210817_160359.jpg

Last run of the day, looking towards the base area from atop Mid Station Bowl, with Sugar Bowl (upper right) and Toilet Bowl (upper left). Final note, the Chutes never opened on Tuesday unfortunately, and they would've skied incredibly on Wednesday under clear blue skies. Ahh well.

Red_switch

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2006
Dunedin, NZ
As has been mentioned already, snow conditions had just come pretty darn good as we entered lockdown midnight Tuesday. Arguably the best conditions of the season, certainly in terms of snow depth, fresh snow on top, and for the widespread nature of the good conditions throughout the Southern Alps (and Ruapehu too).

I was lucky enough to ski the Remarkables on Tuesday, where 31 cm of fresh snow total for the event was reported. My impressions from arrival (9am) was that there was a good 30cm fresh already, and with around 3.5hrs of snowfall during the day, perhaps another 10-12cm fell on top of that. The ongoing snow plus a bit of wind made for free refills in places during the day which was great.

Surprisingly, there were bugger all people up there (relative to the new normal where Remarks has become incredibly popular). The top carpark was only about 70% full ('back in the day' this would've qualified as pretty busy!). I guess the road - chains required for 4WD - and weather - ongoing precip and poor visibility throughout the day - put people off.

I skied nonstop all day, racking up 24 powder-filled runs, which I'm still paying for 2 days later with tired muscles. In hindsight, very grateful I pushed the boat out given the new lockdown that was announced later Tuesday evening, and of course feel lucky I was able to enjoy some skiing at all given all the members of this forum who have had their snow plans curtailed this year and last. A beaut day - only wish I was able to share it with some mates as well!

Snow quality was fantastic - snow was falling down to about 800m a.s.l. during the day on Tuesday and the base elevation of remarks is ~1,600m. Visibility came good three or four times during the day which was fantastic, but otherwise a little challenging. Thankfully I know the area well so was able to navigate no issues, and I know the terrain pretty well too. I had also skied it prior to the new snow arriving so had a fair idea where the rocks would be lurking just beneath the surface (an important consideration as I recently purchased new skis!).

Really hope this is just a temporary pause for our ski season. In lieu of fresh or dry wintry snow, I'm a big fan of the spring corn harvest, so fingers crossed for that opportunity come September. A couple pics from when the visibility came good:

20210817_110525.jpg

Got the timing right for the morning's first clearance on Homeward Bound, with an untouched line from top to bottom. One of the best runs at Remarks when its on IMO, ~380 vertical metres of sustained pitch that doesn't require a hike in or out. A great feeling of camaraderie with strangers at the end of the run whilst waiting for the shuttle to pick up - lots of grins, "chahoos" and high fives.

20210817_130750.jpg

Mid Station Bowl. I must have done about 15 runs through here. After the first few runs you were mostly skiing tracked powder (infilled by fresh snowfall and wind), but occasionally you'd happen upon untracked areas where the turns were sublime. Plenty of "NZ faceshots" on offer, i.e. the type where snow billows over your shoulder and head when you put in a sharp turn LOL

20210817_160359.jpg

Last run of the day, looking towards the base area from atop Mid Station Bowl, with Sugar Bowl (upper right) and Toilet Bowl (upper left). Final note, the Chutes never opened on Tuesday unfortunately, and they would've skied incredibly on Wednesday under clear blue skies. Ahh well.
God's work ;)

essjaywhy

One of Us
Jul 24, 2012
Akl NZ
God's work ;)

20210817_110525.jpg

20210817_130750.jpg

20210817_160359.jpg

Brilliant, it was the same snow conds at Card's ; deep dry, just 3x the no of people there;
so its the last time i ski there except for any other option ... way too busy for me
with wanaka tripling in size they need a 3rd skifield now
Mackenzie was so good this season

Reactions: Centago
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
Ski fields back in business on Wednesday. Great news for the locals.

Wish we could join you from Oz.

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Well it has been obvious for well over a month, but now official. The bubble is dead with the previous suspension extended a further 8 weeks to at least mid November but most likely dead and buried until replaced by some form of vaccine passport system in 2022.
So no skiing at all for me in 2021. :( All thanks again to you know who.

• Sad
Reactions: chunky and BMWRX

chunky

Pool Room
Jul 24, 1998
brisbane,qld,aus
Well it has been obvious for well over a month, but now official. The bubble is dead with the previous suspension extended a further 8 weeks to at least mid November but most likely dead and buried until replaced by some form of vaccine passport system in 2022.
So no skiing at all for me in 2021. :( All thanks again to you know who.
I thought the bubble was gone until next year and even then it was going to be vaccinated people only that could travel over?

teleroo

leaf blower aficionado
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
Cheapy season passes for Cardrona/Treble Cone for next season (2022) on sale until 31 Oct.

singlefin

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2019
Last day of the season at Hutt. Snow was slushy and great fun. Still plenty up there just not enough customers. It’s been a great season in Canterbury. Will hopefully get a few foot powered days in over the next couple of weeks. Weathers getting warm now.

67948C10-60C2-47AA-B395-F6A52F25BA42.jpeg

1A5E1F26-044F-4271-9575-FD4679F704EB.jpeg

Aquila

Early Days
Jul 2, 2021
Chch, NZ
Last day of the season at Hutt. Snow was slushy and great fun. Still plenty up there just not enough customers. It’s been a great season in Canterbury. Will hopefully get a few foot powered days in over the next couple of weeks. Weathers getting warm now.

67948C10-60C2-47AA-B395-F6A52F25BA42.jpeg

1A5E1F26-044F-4271-9575-FD4679F704EB.jpeg
Good luck with the foot powered laps! I skied the final three days at Hutt, great slushy times, but time for me to hang up my skis now. Maybe I'll look at getting into touring another year.

We got pretty lucky with the snow pack in the end. Previous season closing weekend was pretty dire, but this long weekend has been lovely.

Two days ago - great coverage:
20211023_082356.jpg

Today:
20211025_102621.jpg

The moguls in the very center of that second photo defeated me every time!

Reactions: craighelo
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass