NZ 2021

Heinz

Have skis, will travel - Once borders open again..
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Im currently on the 3rd change of flight times with Qantas

My QF ZQN-MEL has also been rescheduled twice since Tuesday, so I've had to both times ring up and change my connecting MEL-ADL flight.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
1st case of COVID-19 in Melbourne at the quarantine hotel from an inbound traveller.

Let's see

Dr_Phil

Hard Yards
Jul 29, 2010
Thanks for the tips and links. A quick look at the links suggests I have until the end of April to decide if we go the NZski pass or the chill pass (probably just a 30 day pass not the season pass, putting the $300 saving towards a few days at the big resorts). Time to do some research into the chill pass club fields :)

Dave6

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2006
Brisbane
No trip for me at this stage, consequences are way to high for getting stuck.
Not really worried about high consequences, but would be super-inconvenient to get stuck somewhere for a couple of weeks. Will see how things play out over the next couple of months and make a call from there.

Reactions: Kimski

BMWRX

One of Us
Apr 7, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Flights, accommodation, 4WD all booked. And more importantly, the accommodation and car is free cancellation and the flights can be changed for very little.

July 24th to August 1. I'd prefer later in the season but my law studies end shortly before flying out, so going to get there and back before any potential employment starts (to be honest, if the trip gets cancelled because of getting a job, I won't be too upset as a graduate law job is rarer than soft runs at Coronet).

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Flights, accommodation, 4WD all booked. And more importantly, the accommodation and car is free cancellation and the flights can be changed for very little.

July 24th to August 1. I'd prefer later in the season but my law studies end shortly before flying out, so going to get there and back before any potential employment starts (to be honest, if the trip gets cancelled because of getting a job, I won't be too upset as a graduate law job is rarer than soft runs at Coronet).
Good work. Are you going to Queenstown and if so did you get direct flights from Brisbane?

I’ve already got two weeks booked off in August for a snow related trip (nothing booked yet) but I’ll be travelling from Adelaide so no direct option available.

BMWRX

One of Us
Apr 7, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Good work. Are you going to Queenstown and if so did you get direct flights from Brisbane?

I’ve already got two weeks booked off in August for a snow related trip (nothing booked yet) but I’ll be travelling from Adelaide so no direct option available.
Yes, direct from Brisbane to QT. The flight times keep changing but only half an hour later so far, so not an issue.

ScottGN

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 14, 2010
Tāmaki Makaurau - Auckland
10-15 cms
8A4B1701-CD5F-4263-B67F-D2FEBD060F6C.jpeg

BMWRX

One of Us
Apr 7, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
10-15 cms
8A4B1701-CD5F-4263-B67F-D2FEBD060F6C.jpeg
This pleases me. Although it's mostly back to dirt in the main basin this morning. And the webcam over the Captain's side has been stuck on 6th March, so it's hard to tell how it's gone over the side the really counts (well, Valley View too but there's no camera down there).

I'm super keen to see what the Willow's run will be like this year. However, it branches off Skyline, so it may not be super steep or tricky.

miro67

Hard Yards
Sep 29, 2009
BOOKED.
Last week of Aug, first of Sept
Southern island (Wanaka) for a week.
Fly from Qtown to Wellington
Ohakune for a week
Drive to Auckland
Fly home

Yep we have booked Wanaka for second week of September, then a week of travelling around -free cancellation for all accom. Car free cancellation. Qantas flights reschedule any time for a year. No risk other than having to quarantine back in Sydney if it all goes to shit while we are away. And as long as I can bring a laptop that's not the end of the world.

Reactions: Kimski and TOFF

sli1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2001
Brisbane
Looking at maybe doing an NZ trip. Who are you guys insuring with? Normally I'd refer to the travel insurance thread in "Passport" but none of the recent conversation appears to be directly related to international travel within a "bubble".

Sbooker

One of Us
Sep 28, 2015
Looking at maybe doing an NZ trip. Who are you guys insuring with? Normally I'd refer to the travel insurance thread in "Passport" but none of the recent conversation appears to be directly related to international travel within a "bubble".
I didn’t think of insurance to be honest. A bit embarrassed about that. I’ll sort it before I go though.

BMWRX

One of Us
Apr 7, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Some credit cards give you travel insurance if you pay for your trip using the credit card (eg CBA).
That's what I've relied on. I always double check it before booking the trip but I've never been surprised by any of the cover disappearing. Of course, all the usual caveat apply, like you can't go backcountry or be silly off-piste (so if you hurt yourself off the groomers, make sure you drag your carcass back on the flat stuff before calling for ski patrol).

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Not all travel insurance policies are providing medical cover if you happen to become unwell with covid abroad. Check carefully.

Donzah

Formerly know as Aldi whorehouse.
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2017
woonona
Not all travel insurance policies are providing medical cover if you happen to become unwell with covid abroad. Check carefully.
Though New Zealand has a reciprocal health agreement with Australia that covers Australian residents and citizens.

Reactions: TOFF

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
Though New Zealand has a reciprocal health agreement with Australia that covers Australian residents and citizens.
yeah Im pretty sure it does and not sure id be relying on any private cover for covid

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Yeah I was really thinking about other destinations to be honest.

I guess the biggest risk of travel to NZ remains an outbreak that stops flights, meaning you're stuck there. And travel insurance won't help with that.

Reactions: climberman

expatgm

One of Us
Aug 4, 2014
Queenstown
So this is my understanding, if you trash yourself in the middle of nowhere you’ll get a free helicopter or ambulance evacuation to the nearest public hospital and treatment at no charge. If however you turn up at the local private medical clinic you’ll be charged for the treatment .

Donzah

Formerly know as Aldi whorehouse.
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2017
woonona
So this is my understanding, if you trash yourself in the middle of nowhere you’ll get a free helicopter or ambulance evacuation to the nearest public hospital and treatment at no charge. If however you turn up at the local private medical clinic you’ll be charged for the treatment .
Yeah its the same in Australia.
Though there are more private clinics here in Australia.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide

I'm using Fast Cover as I have been doing for several years primarily as they cover heli-skiing, even though in all the years I've never actually made a claim. They don't provide coverage relating to Covid at all though. I haven't checked what companies if any would provide that sort of cover. And if there were I doubt that they would provide the skiing cover I would be after. So the cover for skiing takes precedence over cover for Covid.

I'm prepared to take the risk with delays with possible outbreaks. I am hoping that worst case with the way things have been managed recently it would mean a travel delay of maybe a week which I am prepared to wear if I am already in NZ. Worst case would actually be a delay heading over. I have been going over there for nearly 40 years now so missing out last year was hard to take. Don't want to miss again.

I have booked accommodation but all the places have a free cancellation policy and I have only prepaid one. The others are all payable on arrival. The bulk of the cost of course is always the heliskiing but that is only payable at the end.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide

ACC have covered a few medical centre visits over the years. A hand injury in 1981 at Coronet, busted teeth at Dobson in 1984 and MCL's while heliskiing in 1992 & 1999. None of those required any evacuation though so costs were fairly minor. Nothing thankfully though in the last 20 years.

Edit. Well there was the avalanche burial in 2004, but guides dug me out. Ski day was ended, no charge and there was no medical attention or any sort of claims required.

Last edited:
Reactions: Donzah

Shoey

Hard Yards
Aug 12, 2018
Sydney
BOOKED.
Last week of Aug, first of Sept
Southern island (Wanaka) for a week.
Fly from Qtown to Wellington
Ohakune for a week
Drive to Auckland
Fly home

After a year of hiatus (besides a day in Perisher) snow's back on the agenda. We've also locked in a week in Qtown early Aug.

Managed to book on Qantas points (SYD BNE ZQN) - not the most ideal route but we want to use up those points!
Accomm in Arrowtown (also on points - BA Avios)
a wk of car hire
3 peaks earlybird 6 day.

Most things are very reasonably priced & cancellable to the last minute except for the pass which I think the last day to bail out is June. I think the initially anticipated price hike never manifested because everything booked has an element of chance.

Have been told car's not really needed as shuttles are everywhere, but Arrowtown is a bit out of the way and the shuttle fares will prob. add up to a car hire cost. Also not sure if 6 day pass is good ida as it means missing out on TC & Cardrona, but seeing how the Perisher & Thredbo passes were capped last yr the last thing I'd want is to miss out.

Crawf

Addicted
Aug 13, 2017
Melbourne
That's what I've relied on. I always double check it before booking the trip but I've never been surprised by any of the cover disappearing. Of course, all the usual caveat apply, like you can't go backcountry or be silly off-piste (so if you hurt yourself off the groomers, make sure you drag your carcass back on the flat stuff before calling for ski patrol).

I'd check the CC closely. On my last trips (in early 2020 to Revy & Japan) I read through the T&C's of my credit cards and one of them didn't cover any snow/skiing related activity. I had always relied on them, however the have appear to have changed policies (likely cost cutting). I can't remember which card as I play musical credit cards for Qantas Points bonuses.

Given my trips included off piste, i chose to go with Fast Cover, although didn't have to lodge a claim.
When I did take out travel insurance, many had add ons for back-country or Heli Skiing, and most only covered you if you were with a qualified guide.

BMWRX

One of Us
Apr 7, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I'd check the CC closely. On my last trips (in early 2020 to Revy & Japan) I read through the T&C's of my credit cards and one of them didn't cover any snow/skiing related activity. I had always relied on them, however the have appear to have changed policies (likely cost cutting). I can't remember which card as I play musical credit cards for Qantas Points bonuses.

Given my trips included off piste, i chose to go with Fast Cover, although didn't have to lodge a claim.
When I did take out travel insurance, many had add ons for back-country or Heli Skiing, and most only covered you if you were with a qualified guide.
I've confirmed every time that skiing is still included.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
ABC News report just on now.
Report about how they expect 20% of ski tourism to be from Australians this season. Reporter clearly not a skier or a Kiwi. “Mt Coronay” apparently.

Reactions: Zeroz

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Report about how they expect 20% of ski tourism to be from Australians this season. Reporter clearly not a skier or a Kiwi. “Mt Coronay” apparently.
LOL

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017
And so it begins.
Variant? Vaccine did bugger all bro?
What Vaccine are they using in NZ?
Quick google search says they are using the one that requires shit loads of dry ice which seems to have strong approval?
Bubble trouble?
I want in, but on the fence.............still.

Reactions: Dave6

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Variant? Vaccine did bugger all bro?
Who says?
Was picked up by routine testing.
That means he/she didn’t know they were sick.
Good result.

Quite likely super low viral kid also, so unlikely to be a super spreader.

What Vaccine are they using in NZ?
Quick google search says they are using the one that requires shit loads of dry ice which seems to have strong approval?
Pfizer

Bubble trouble?
I want in, but on the fence.............still.
There is no problem.
It’s contained.
Calm.

Reactions: Roymond and Kimski

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017
Who says?
Was picked up by routine testing.
That means he/she didn’t know they were sick.
Good result.

Quite likely super low viral kid also, so unlikely to be a super spreader.

Pfizer

There is no problem.
It’s contained.
Calm.
Yep, so question is Pfizer vaccinated worker contracts Covid?

BMWRX

One of Us
Apr 7, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
It's the fancy way of pronunciation. Although I've heard that it's true name is derived from the French.......pic en béton

expatgm

One of Us
Aug 4, 2014
Queenstown
Seems, so........
Is that due to variants after the vaccine was made?
My understanding is no. You can still be infected and not have any symptoms and be at very low risk of infecting anyone else.
The pharmaceutical companies are well aware of the mutations occurring in the virus and will be modifying the vaccines accordingly.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass