NZ 2021

sli1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2001
Brisbane
My understanding is no. You can still be infected and not have any symptoms and be at very low risk of infecting anyone else.
The pharmaceutical companies are well aware of the mutations occurring in the virus and will be modifying the vaccines accordingly.
This what I despise about this reporting. It is reported that the border worker tested positive to Covid "even though" they were vaccinated. The vaccines are close to 100% effective in stopping severe illness and death. They are less effective in stopping you from catching COVID-19 and the chance of the vaccinated person passing on to another is also greatly reduced. However, the way this is reported means the layperson comes to the conclusion that vaccines won't protect them. It's effectively misinformation by not telling the whole story. The report could have pointed out how given the worker is vaccinated she/he is extremely unlikely to get ill or die and is much less likely to have spread it to others. The opportunity to talk about vaccination in a positive light and educate about what they do and don't do is yet again lost and turned around around to create more vaccine hesitancy. The click-bait scaremongering style of the media is a major factor in slowing down the vaccination in Australia.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
This what I despise about this reporting. It is reported that the border worker tested positive to Covid "even though" they were vaccinated. The vaccines are close to 100% effective in stopping severe illness and death. They are less effective in stopping you from catching COVID-19 and the chance of the vaccinated person passing on to another is also greatly reduced. However, the way this is reported means the layperson comes to the conclusion that vaccines won't protect them. It's effectively misinformation by not telling the whole story. The report could have pointed out how given the worker is vaccinated she/he is extremely unlikely to get ill or die and is much less likely to have spread it to others. The opportunity to talk about vaccination in a positive light and educate about what they do and don't do is yet again lost and turned around around to create more vaccine hesitancy. The click-bait scaremongering style of the media is a major factor in slowing down the vaccination in Australia.
Yeah I couldn't agree more. It's very frustrating.

Reactions: LMB

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Which is the message Jacinda gave when she addressed the media. Shame they put their own catastrophic spin on it.

Reactions: ScottGN

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
A Victorian man has tested positive for COVID-19 in Melbourne after completing 14 days of quarantine at a Western Australian hotel at the centre of a coronavirus outbreak.

The man travelled from Perth to Melbourne on April 21 and was instructed by health authorities to get tested and quarantine.

He returned a positive test result this morning.

All passengers on QANTAS flight QF778 are being considered close contacts and will need to isolate for 14 days.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Perth in a 3 day lockdown.. let's see how that changes NZ flights..

Should mean flights paused for up to 72 hours.

The infectious person was also in Melbourne for days....But was told to isolate upon arrival

images.jpeg-62.jpg

Last edited:

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Thats a Orange for WA.
Green for the rest of Australia

Yes and only limited flights on the WA route..

Interesting to see how it plays out to get sn idea of the impact for future lockdowns...

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Perth in a 3 day lockdown.. let's see how that changes NZ flights..

Should mean flights paused for up to 72 hours.

The infectious person was also in Melbourne for days....

images.jpeg-62.jpg
Hang on, what? Who was infectious in Melbourne for days? I missed that bit.

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
I’ve made a decision and booked flights with the Jetstar sale to Queenstown. Still not super cheap when travelling from Adelaide but I’ve got a chance to finally use the ski boots again that I bought in Japan last year.

Am I brave, stupid or just a normal snow addict :D

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.
I’ve made a decision and booked flights with the Jetstar sale to Queenstown. Still not super cheap when travelling from Adelaide but I’ve got a chance to finally use the ski boots again that I bought in Japan last year.

Winner!
Snow addicts are normally stupidly brave or bravely stupid.
We’ve booked.
We’re normal*

* maybe......

Heinz

Have skis, will travel - Once borders open again..
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide

Totally normal :)
Its not like you are going to India.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Travel between New Zealand and Perth has been put on hold after the Western Australian state entered an emergency three-day lockdown.

Minister for Covid-19 Response, Chris Hipkins, said travel between New Zealand and Western Australia has been paused, pending further advice from the state government.

He said New Zealand health officials are in contact with their Australian counterparts and are completing a risk assessment.

A flight due to leave Perth for New Zealand later tonight will not take off following Western Australia's decision, and any New Zealanders affected are asked to follow the advice of Western Australian authorities, a statement said.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Has been many years since I've spent any time at all in Queenstown, but some of Qtn guides have been trying to entice me down talking up trips to terrain around Glenorchy etc. Very much looking forward to it.

Schwarzer Mann

One of Us
May 4, 2020
Sydney
My kids had their first ever runs on skis (in fact their first ever time seeing snow) in Queenstown.
In June 2020 I booked a trip to NZ for September that year.....maybe that was a tad optimistic.
Booked again this year for first week of August, let's see how we go.

BMWRX

One of Us
Apr 7, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Brrrrrrr, getting chilly
Good layer put down at Cardies this morning. Although it's likely to melt off soon enough.

One question I have for the assembled group here is, is it worth it investing in a small pocket sharpener? For the first time I'll be taking my own skis to the slopes and want to ensure that the edges stay nice the whole time. So, the thought of getting a small sharpener crossed my mind to give the skis a quick zip after each day or so. Is this a wise thing to do or is tuning of the skis best left to those who really know what they are doing/stores with the right equipment?

Reactions: TOFF

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
Good layer put down at Cardies this morning. Although it's likely to melt off soon enough.

One question I have for the assembled group here is, is it worth it investing in a small pocket sharpener? For the first time I'll be taking my own skis to the slopes and want to ensure that the edges stay nice the whole time. So, the thought of getting a small sharpener crossed my mind to give the skis a quick zip after each day or so. Is this a wise thing to do or is tuning of the skis best left to those who really know what they are doing/stores with the right equipment?
I am certain their are many here who do some home tuning and de burr skis after each day with diamond files etc. I think having the 'right equipment' would be essential.

Personally Im happy to leave it to the professionals and unless I take a big bite out of my skis, find a once a year tune enough.

Reactions: Kimski and BMWRX

Donzah

Formerly know as Aldi whorehouse.
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2017
woonona
Putting my head around a nz trip boxing day on for 16 days or so.
Hows FF bookings looking on QF @skifree ?
Syd.Akl.Chch.Syd.

Plan is Auckland. Rotorua. Napier . Wellington. Picton. Renwick. Kaikoura. Christchurch

Shoey

Hard Yards
Aug 12, 2018
Sydney
Has anyone used Omega Car rentals In NZ before?

Yes, Christchurch in 2019. They seem fine, and we booked with them again this year.

Their cheapest range we got a Japanese grey import Mazda 2 (Mazda Demio) from the early 2000s. The radio can't tune in to NZ stations because its Japanese domestic frequencies.

Reactions: dr80

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
If you’re coming to Queenstown this winter and looking for an off mountain day then this is just the thing. Go the Kingston Flyer!
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/f...after-eight-years/H6B3Z5BLTUFTBJTFOPM2EDEZAA/

Great news! Has previously been closed in winter? Another good idea for off snow? Can get a bit ho hum with kids in Qtwn - without fresh things to do?

Earnslaw and Milford are both good/great attractions, although if driving, the latter is quite a long day and would probably ensure sleep ski-kidlets the next day!

Reactions: ScottGN

BMWRX

One of Us
Apr 7, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Great news! Has previously been closed in winter? Another good idea for off snow? Can get a bit ho hum with kids in Qtwn - without fresh things to do?

Earnslaw and Milford are both good/great attractions, although if driving, the latter is quite a long day and would probably ensure sleep ski-kidlets the next day!
If you can afford it, fly to Milford Sound. I did it on my 40th birthday and it was a ripping day. Especially if the pilot is feeling adventurous and takes you with touching distance (well, it feels like it anyway) of snow caps mountains on the way back.

Reactions: snowgum and Zimbooo

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017
If you can afford it, fly to Milford Sound. I did it on my 40th birthday and it was a ripping day. Especially if the pilot is feeling adventurous and takes you with touching distance (well, it feels like it anyway) of snow caps mountains on the way back.
If its too expensive (due to family of 4 etc.). it's worth planning to drive to Te Anau and spend a night or two there.
A day trip to Milford overland from Queenstown is not my idea of fun.

Reactions: snowgum

Shrike

Addicted
Jan 1, 2018
SE Melbourne
Just a reminder to anyone I am in Qtown 21st to 29th Aug so anyone keen to hang out, do laps/have beers with etc let me know. Ive gone for the 4day pass and aiming to have one day at Cardrona as well (will pay day rate plus get the bus) Aiming for the bus to get up to the Remarks and Coronet peak but have my stepdad and Mum with me for the 21-24th so will potentially have a car 23rd/24th for access.

Always keen to meet other members :) missed Japan this year :( but hoping NZ will make up for it and the odd day trip to Buller (might try a hotham/falls trip as well) still considering perisher/threadbo as I have never been but depends on leave/costs etc

Reactions: LMB and Kimski

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Just a reminder to anyone I am in Qtown 21st to 29th Aug so anyone keen to hang out, do laps/have beers with etc let me know. Ive gone for the 4day pass and aiming to have one day at Cardrona as well (will pay day rate plus get the bus) Aiming for the bus to get up to the Remarks and Coronet peak but have my stepdad and Mum with me for the 21-24th so will potentially have a car 23rd/24th for access.

Always keen to meet other members :) missed Japan this year :( but hoping NZ will make up for it and the odd day trip to Buller (might try a hotham/falls trip as well) still considering perisher/threadbo as I have never been but depends on leave/costs etc

I fly out Aug 22 so Aug21 a possibility. I'll hopefully be in the heli somewhere, but would be up for a couple beers. @DidSurfNowSki maybe also?

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Putting my head around a nz trip boxing day on for 16 days or so.
Hows FF bookings looking on QF @skifree ?
Syd.Akl.Chch.Syd.

Plan is Auckland. Rotorua. Napier . Wellington. Picton. Renwick. Kaikoura. Christchurch

Just saw this.. must admit have not looked.

Qantas do have a 3 day sale on for NZ flights

Tons of availability

$510 RETURN

Melbourne to Queenstown

Reactions: Donzah

miro67

Hard Yards
Sep 29, 2009
booked but sydney to queenstown still just under $700 return -cheaper by maybe $120 - $150 than it was a week ago, so still worthwhile across 3 of us.

Reactions: nezumi

BMWRX

One of Us
Apr 7, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
booked but sydney to queenstown still just under $700 return -cheaper by maybe $120 - $150 than it was a week ago, so still worthwhile across 3 of us.
I jumped in early and paid about $800 return from Brisbane. I know I could have waited for better pricing but experience has taught me that it could have just as easily gone up as well.

Reactions: nezumi and skiflat

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
I jumped in early and paid about $800 return from Brisbane. I know I could have waited for better pricing but experience has taught me that it could have just as easily gone up as well.

Problem is now they are cancelling flights due to much lower demand...

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass