NZ 2021

Zeroz

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 8, 2002
Bouvet Island
www.banipal.co.uk
We're skiing Craigieburn and other club fields plus Methven heli in early August.

I just booked flights to CHC and there's a QF sale on until Thursday, assume AIrNZ will follow.
I was going to book today anyway but it was about 40% less. Return business for $1k and economy for $500.

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/flight-deals.html/syd/sp/economy/all/lowest

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
NZ and Sydney travel bubble paused from 23:59 tonight for 48 hours.

Due to the 2 Sydney cases.

Gives an indication of what you need to prepare for and have spare funds etc for a last minute hotel booking....

Qantas will put you on the next flight at no cost.. given the current low loads, should be easy enough to get on flight when the bubble resumes..

Air NZ couldn't see easily their policy

Fingers crossed for those heading over at any time

Sbooker

One of Us
Sep 28, 2015
I’m going to try to sneak in a short break across the ditch in very late September for some spring turns.
Which region would offer the most reliable conditions and less likelihood of lift closures at that time? I believe Cardrona and Remarks are due to be open at that time and of course Turoa and Mt Hutt should be open too?
Deciding where is best to fly into.

Reactions: Zimbooo

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
Impressive
prateptype_cat_mm.au.png

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017
I’m going to try to sneak in a short break across the ditch in very late September for some spring turns.
Which region would offer the most reliable conditions and less likelihood of lift closures at that time? I believe Cardrona and Remarks are due to be open at that time and of course Turoa and Mt Hutt should be open too?
Deciding where is best to fly into.
Late September ..... generally speaking Ruapehu, but a “short break” could raise a question mark as you could still get a day or two of closures due to weather in the Nth Island. South Island better for weather but going there at that time is determined by how good the season has been with snowfall and the base left for the freeze, thaw. If you can, I’d wait to see how the season unfolds.....then choose where to fly into. Good luck.

Reactions: dr80 and Donzah

Donzah

Formerly know as Aldi whorehouse.
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2017
woonona
Late September ..... generally speaking Ruapehu, but a “short break” could raise a question mark as you could still get a day or two of closures due to weather in the Nth Island. South Island better for weather but going there at that time is determined by how good the season has been with snowfall and the base left for the freeze, thaw. If you can, I’d wait to see how the season unfolds.....then choose where to fly into. Good luck.
Yup.
The only issue is its nz school holidays. So some booking may be necessary.

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017
Yup.
The only issue is its nz school holidays. So some booking may be necessary.
Yep, start of October. :thumbs:
We have done a couple of trips over the years in late Sept when kids where in school and we.couldn’t do anything but go at that time due to our work etc., Remember watching grand final NRL on TV in NZ Airport on return.

Sbooker

One of Us
Sep 28, 2015
Yep, start of October. :thumbs:
We have done a couple of trips over the years in late Sept when kids where in school and we.couldn’t do anything but go at that time due to our work etc., Remember watching grand final NRL on TV in NZ Airport on return.
So did you opt for Ruapehu or Qtown?

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017
Have done both. We’ve been going to NZ for our winter/spring fix since moving to SE qld in 98.

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017
Father/16 yr old daughter bonding session. Expectations not huge. Something to slide on. Nice views.
I would fly into Queenstown, hire car. You will be able to ski/board at The Remarkables and Cardrona, Coronet will be closed by then. If daughter wants a day off riding, more things to choose from to do. Riding the Luge up Skyline is fun (great views), Drive yourself over to Deer Park heights to check out / feed animals on your drive through the farm land (great views), drive to Glenorchy and take a jet board ride (great views + Adrenalin), and much more. If you have a bad weather day, still stuff to do.

Sbooker

One of Us
Sep 28, 2015
I would fly into Queenstown, hire car. You will be able to ski/board at The Remarkables and Cardrona, Coronet will be closed by then. If daughter wants a day off riding, more things to choose from to do. Riding the Luge up Skyline is fun (great views), Drive yourself over to Deer Park heights to check out / feed animals on your drive through the farm land (great views), drive to Glenorchy and take a jet board ride (great views + Adrenalin), and much more. If you have a bad weather day, still stuff to do.
Thanks. She won't want a day off skis. She's avid.
We've been to Qtown before and done the activities. Great fun.
My main concern is lift closures due to weather.
I would be open to an 'intro to ski touring' type thing but I think they still use the lift system at Remarks.

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017

Donzah

Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2017
woonona
See they are replacing the old quad with a 8 seater for this season.
Its a great idea. That face does get busy.
Replacing the triple would be decent as well
I like Hutt. It gets a bad rap from aussies.

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017
Will take a lot of pressure off lift capacity, as all the park riders will now be able to take the new lift and be in the park in just over a couple minutes. Yeah, I like Hutt, when conditions are good, midweek. It has some great terrain. Great fall line.

BMWRX

One of Us
Apr 7, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Flights booked.

Air Nz

Syd-QT July 27th. Taking the Mrs & 8 month old daughter. Wish me luck.

Stoke is real. Although seeing how easily the borders can slam shut, I refuse to get excited until we're on the plane.
We're there at the same time. Let's hope the recent cold weather lays a decent base for late July/early August fun.

Last edited:

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic

Yes nothing a big EXP 6 or 8 chair to move the masses. NZ Sth Lakes are really getting ahead of Oz in terms of lift quality. I guess it helps when you have 3-4 chairs per resort!

FWIW: I get the Aussie-Hutt love-hate thing.

My only visit to Hutt (Aug. 2004) coincided with gale-force norwesterlies and the then two chairs on hold. So we took the Old T Bar to its top station. The lift kept auto-stopping in the gales. We had ice ‘tornados’ whipping down the face from the summit. Long story short at 4pm the car par shut (start blizzard), cars stopped in their tracks and we all ran for the terminal building. We were ‘allowed’ out to drive at ~ 10 pm, after a test with some staff SUVs. Chain guys were really impressive - taking chains off in teams.

It was after 11 when we arrived in Methven. We drove to CHCh Airport the next day, the snow line followed us down and we had slush sticking to the aircraft windows etc... Quite an end to my first NZ trip.

And I’m yet to get back to Hutt, later road trips covered the Canterbury smalls and Lyford. Lately we stick to Arrowtown/ Wanaka with Master SG.
With our son 12 now, it might be worth risking another road trip up from QZN and check out the new Hutt, the pow and the chairs, Pacific views? On a calmer day? :D

Heinz

Have skis, will travel - Once borders open again..
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Yes nothing a big EXP 6 or 8 chair to move the masses. NZ Sth Lakes are really getting ahead of Oz in terms of lift quality. I guess it helps when you have 3-4 chairs per resort!

FWIW: I get the Aussie-Hutt love-hate thing.

My only visit to Hutt (Aug. 2004) coincided with gale-force norwesterlies and the then two chairs on hold. So we took the Old T Bar to its top station. The lift kept auto-stopping in the gales. We had ice ‘tornados’ whipping down the face from the summit. Long story short at 4pm the car par shut (start blizzard), cars stopped in their tracks and we all ran for the terminal building. We were ‘allowed’ out to drive at ~ 10 pm, after a test with some staff SUVs. Chain guys were really impressive - taking chains off in teams.

It was after 11 when we arrived in Methven. We drove to CHCh Airport the next day, the snow line followed us down and we had slush sticking to the aircraft windows etc... Quite an end to my first NZ trip.

And I’m yet to get back to Hutt, later road trips covered the Canterbury smalls and Lyford. Lately we stick to Arrowtown/ Wanaka with Master SG.
With our son 12 now, it might be worth risking another road trip up from QZN and check out the new Hutt, the pow and the chairs, Pacific views? On a calmer day? :D

LOL NW'lies at Hutt - never!

RCN

Hard Yards
Nov 27, 2019
Has anyone notice car rental prices are up this year in NZ? mid $200s/day for a 4 wheeldrive adds up to a lot for a 2 week trip, wiping out the cost savings in accomodation in NZ vs Perisher/Thredbo.

Donzah

Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2017
woonona
Has anyone notice car rental prices are up this year in NZ? mid $200s/day for a 4 wheeldrive adds up to a lot for a 2 week trip, wiping out the cost savings in accomodation in NZ vs Perisher/Thredbo.
Ha. Mid $200s.
My quote is $78NZD for a 2015 model Rav4 with chains and roofracks.

RCN

Hard Yards
Nov 27, 2019
Ha. Mid $200s.
My quote is $78NZD for a 2015 model Rav4 with chains and roofracks.

Not bad, where from? The quotes I've got are for Hertz from Queenstown Airport late late July - early August.

grantn

Addicted
Aug 10, 2011
Don't be disheartened, keep digging and looking for quotes from smaller operators. The local guy I go with in Christchurch is still excellent and still very cheap. I have always gone with smaller outfits in NZ for car hire and have had no issues yet. Just got a quote and it was about the same rate I paid two years ago. I go for an older model 4wd subaru - about $45 Nzd a day. We have used this guy before, excellent service, car was great. https://christchurchcarhire.co.nz/

Heinz

Have skis, will travel - Once borders open again..
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Stoke is real. Although seeing how easily the borders can slam shut, I refuse to get excited until we're on the plane.
Which way? :)

Ha. For me I'll be happy once I land in NZ. If border shuts briefly after that it may be an inconvenience I can live with. :)

bluestick

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2005
northern rivers
Booked flights ool to chc and car for 11 Aug to 4 Sept. Happy with prices especially 4wd legacy car @ $50 per day. 6 days guided up on the Tasman. First guided trip in 35 years. Certainly heaps easier than doing it all yourself. Rest of the time at club fields, Oahu and maybe Wanaka. Hopefully not needing to chase refunds if it all goes belly up.

teleroo

<\unencrypted>
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
Ruapehu base building. I think this lot will stay from here on. For those playing at home, this is the upper lift at Turoa, on the southern side of Mt Ruapehu. Photo elevation is about 2200 m, and top of the High Noon six pack chair you can see in the photo is about 2600 m. They need quite a base at Ruapehu, as being on a volcano, it is extra rocky. But fortunately, if you stick an almost 3000 m high mountain roughly at Bass Strait latitude it picks up a fair bit of moisture, much of which falls as snow in winter.

upload_2021-5-22_17-26-20.png

Reactions: Zimbooo and RCN

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
I’ll probably just be slumming it on the shuttle bus from Queenstown most days (solo trip). I did get caught out with the huge prices for hire cars in Tasmania recently though.

Reactions: coldsnapcharles
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass