NZ 2022

BMWRX

One of Us
Apr 7, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Going by recent reports coming out of NZ (omicron in Auckland, Jacinda reintroducing the traffic lights system, etc), I'm getting more than a little nervous about getting on the snow this year.

I know it's selfish thinking but I'm hoping that sense prevails and the powers across the ditch realise that the winter industries can't keep running seasons at reduced capacities. We were hoping to get to Hakuba this northern winter but that hasn't been possible. Put that on top of being booked to get to QT last year but our flight was the day after Jacinda closed the bubble in July, I'm getting awfully strong withdrawals.

moskate

Hard Yards
Apr 20, 2019
Going by recent reports coming out of NZ (omicron in Auckland, Jacinda reintroducing the traffic lights system, etc), I'm getting more than a little nervous about getting on the snow this year.

I know it's selfish thinking but I'm hoping that sense prevails and the powers across the ditch realise that the winter industries can't keep running seasons at reduced capacities. We were hoping to get to Hakuba this northern winter but that hasn't been possible. Put that on top of being booked to get to QT last year but our flight was the day after Jacinda closed the bubble in July, I'm getting awfully strong withdrawals.
Yeh we booked accommodation in QT about 3 months ago but also just booked some accommodation in Victoria this weekend (same dates) as I don't think we will get over there without quarantine/capacity limits and significant testing.

Would love to be wrong though

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Managed to sneak in some skiing in during COVID, but has been a challenge:
- 1 x trip to NZ skiing Mt Hutt over the QBLW
- Skied Perisher or Thredbo every weekend until ACT got shut out due to Delta
- Skied NSW BC when we were allowed out of the ACT and back into NSW
- Skied Austria when we were allowed out of Australia

I'm also hoping that NZ lets Oz based skiers in this year, but unfortunately that would need Omicron to rip through NZ over the next 3-4 months.

Reactions: Kash

teleroo

leaf blower aficionado
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
I’ve got a trip planned for Sept/Oct 22. Booked (and mostly cancellable and refundable) pre Omicron last year on the assumption that once NZ vax rates reaches 90+% that surely they’d open up. Perhaps a foolish assumption. And two weeks ago I thought the trip was sunk. But over on the NZ Covid page some chatter posted yesterday about possible border changes. So I’m feeling a little more confident now. Wait and see.

Reactions: BMWRX

singlefin

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2019
I reckon you will be fine. Hipkins said this week there would likely be big changes to the borders by mid year, and he said that after the current outbreak was known about.

I also reckon it will be crazy busy. Was bad enough last season without international tourists.

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Burnt Downs, Blue Mtns, 1100M.
Looking hopeful
AD16BDEA-244F-4352-8D53-CBE100086C64.png

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Gototakahashi

Addicted
Sep 26, 2017
There seems to be some confusion here.

I was under the impression that Australians will have quarantine free travel with NZ no later than July.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
There seems to be some confusion here.

I was under the impression that Australians will have quarantine free travel with NZ no later than July.

Alas no.
Australians will not have to quarantine in July. However they will have to isolate in accordance with the positive or close contact rules at that time. Which is expected to be 7 days .

Its currently 10 days.

Its Rubbish.

Gototakahashi

Addicted
Sep 26, 2017
Alas no.
Australians will not have to quarantine in July. However they will have to isolate in accordance with the positive or close contact rules at that time. Which is expected to be 7 days .

Its currently 10 days.

Its Rubbish.
Ah right. That’s disappointing.
Self isolation is still a form of quarantine so a lot of news outlets are being very misleading.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

chunky

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 1998
brisbane,qld,aus
I sure hope th Iso requirements are gone by September!
I had heard that it wouldn't be totally quarantine free for Aussies until October. Hope I am wrong. Regardless my July holiday plans to use my credits from last year are over now. I still hear we have to isolate on July arrivals.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
*It all depends on the Omicron spread.

From a sporting point of view.

At the heart of everything will be whether or not the self-isolation period of seven days still stands come July because even if teams could train during it, it would not work, George said.

Ardern said the Government will “constantly review” self-isolation requirements.

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
*It all depends on the Omicron spread.

From a sporting point of view.

At the heart of everything will be whether or not the self-isolation period of seven days still stands come July because even if teams could train during it, it would not work, George said.

Ardern said the Government will “constantly review” self-isolation requirements.

In my view, as soon as they slightly open the taps Omicron will rampage through the NZ population like everywhere else. Countries like the UK, Sweden and Denmark have already effectively ended their COVID restrictions. More will join this list. PM Arden will pivot before July.

We'll be skiing in NZ without having to do quarantine IMO.

Heinz

Fully vaccinated and travelling again!
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
In my view, as soon as they slightly open the taps Omicron will rampage through the NZ population like everywhere else. Countries like the UK, Sweden and Denmark have already effectively ended their COVID restrictions. More will join this list. PM Arden will pivot before July.

We'll be skiing in NZ without having to do quarantine IMO.
We can only hope. Go Omicron! Best time for it to roll through is when most people are triple vaxed.

Kash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney
Alas no.

Its currently 10 days.

Its Rubbish.

F that, but if quarantine free travel does open up I'll def be ducking over to use a few free ikon pass days at Mt Hutt. There is usually pretty good flight options to CHC on Jetstar.

It seems obvious that Omicron will do its thing over there within the next 3-4 months and NZ can get with the program.

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
Hello
I'm the idiot that bought NZSki passes for this year
I'm pretty sure I bought insurance but not sure if it will cover the fact I won't be going if I need to do a week of home quarantine

H_Rollins

Hard Yards
Nov 14, 2017
Hello
I'm pretty sure I bought insurance but not sure if it will cover the fact I won't be going if I need to do a week of home quarantine
Not sure about your situation but I bought a early bird multi-pass last year for Coronet, Remarkables, Mt Hutt from nzski. The borders closed and of course I didn't get to go. I had no issue getting a full refund directly from them, I didn't have to use travel insurance.

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
Not sure about your situation but I bought a early bird multi-pass last year for Coronet, Remarkables, Mt Hutt from nzski. The borders closed and of course I didn't get to go. I had no issue getting a full refund directly from them, I didn't have to use travel insurance.
Me too- but they might say you are able to come-just you have to do a week of home jail

Last edited:

teleroo

leaf blower aficionado
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
Hello
I bought early bird season passes for Cardrona for myself and two kids in Sept. The deal was if you couldn't come due to covid you could get a refund or carry over credit. Best case is we get to use the passes. If not, we'll have to see how the "fine print" plays out. But I'm optimistic.

I did send the manager of Cardrona an email today basically outlining our situation - essentially, yes, we're vaxxed up just like you and we'd love come come and spend $10k + in your economy. Just no home jail though. With the hope that for any discussions between the kiwi ski and tourism sectors and govt that a sensible decision is arrived at.

BMWRX

One of Us
Apr 7, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Close contact/positive plans? Does that mean that if you haven't been a close contact of a positive case or positive yourself then no isolation? Even in July?

I'm hoping to go to QT first week of August. But if I'm required to hole up for a week, I'll pass (and take my chances at NSW resorts and burn twice the money for half the runs).

singlefin

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2019
Close contact/positive plans? Does that mean that if you haven't been a close contact of a positive case or positive yourself then no isolation? Even in July?

I'm hoping to go to QT first week of August. But if I'm required to hole up for a week, I'll pass (and take my chances at NSW resorts and burn twice the money for half the runs).
At the moment in July, it's anybody entering the country has to do 7 days isolation, but doesn't need to do it in a managed facility. So really it's to allow in families, returnees, workers etc who are prepared to do that.

Govt have said they will look to reduce that but aren't giving any guarantees or more details.

Current rules aren't going to work for many people wanting a holiday. Probably best to wait a while and see what happens nearer the time, there will be a lot of pressure for that to change from the tourism industry.

Reactions: BMWRX and craighelo

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
It makes it hard to plan ahead and then secure NSW accommodation at short notice if NZ becomes a no goer.

Reactions: BMWRX

teleroo

leaf blower aficionado
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
It makes it hard to plan ahead and then secure NSW accommodation at short notice if NZ becomes a no goer.
My experience is quite a few AirBnb places are fully refundable up until quite close to check in date. But yeh, ski accom in NZ getting trickier to get in general.

expatgm

One of Us
Aug 4, 2014
Queenstown
Guess who's coming for dinner ?

1644796323152.png

Perhaps they might entertain vaccinated plague carriers from across the ditch come winter time since they can't contain it ?
That was yesterday

Gototakahashi

Addicted
Sep 26, 2017
WA announced they are opening and allowing quarantine free travel from March 3rd. When will NZ allow quarantine free travel? Those poor tourist operators.

BMWRX

One of Us
Apr 7, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
They've shown in the last year or so that tourism takes a back seat to what is thought the best for the whole country. But at some point they have to just open up and let it take its course. Sadly I don't think that'll happen before the end of the southern snow season.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass