NZ 2022

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
I reckon that's NZ in general.
Pretty consistent everywhere. Without the piss taking and complacency that happens in Australian tourist spots.
Was expecting something like Jindabyne. Have been much impressed.

Telestrom

A Local
Jun 3, 2002
Planet Tele
That road traverses some of the most complex managed avalanche terrain and conditions in the world. Do it in spring for full effect. The crew that work on the road are legendary, good wee video here:

The avalanche set off by the controlled explosives is quite mesmerising. Looks like a white waterfall

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
5cm on perfect groomers :thumbs:

0AD33579-7C66-40AB-948C-2289AF413796.jpeg

MikeM

Hard Yards
Jul 26, 2009
Sydney, Brisbane.. what day is it?
@skichic - I'm in QT with the family next month so interested in your insights.

Every other day we managed to book the premium hotel pickup bus. No more queues.

How have you gone with the hotel bus? Has there been any issues getting on that in the morning?

Coronet Peak today. Was a fun hill, steep, long runs. A very bumpy hill, felt like a giant border cross course. Was busy, some short queues, snow was nice turning a little fun slushy later. And we could see.

Remarks again for the next 2 days. Looking forward to being able to see the mountain.

So which hill is your pick? I assume Pre-booking the hotel bus locks you in and you can't choose in the morning, so interested to know what you prefer and why?

Queenstown restaurants are top notch (and fully booked, we’ve pre booked a few). All our meals have been lip smacking good, including the ramen in a dingy arcade.

What has been your pick so far? Sounds like we will have to pre-book for the week before we fly over.

Thanks!
Mike

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
@skichic - I'm in QT with the family next month so interested in your insights.

How have you gone with the hotel bus? Has there been any issues getting on that in the morning?

So which hill is your pick? I assume Pre-booking the hotel bus locks you in and you can't choose in the morning, so interested to know what you prefer and why?

What has been your pick so far? Sounds like we will have to pre-book for the week before we fly over.

Thanks!
Mike
Hey Mike. No dramas at all with the bus. It turns up on time and there’s the option of catching the normal bus back down if the timing doesn’t suit.

So far we have eaten at Pedro’s on the Lake (great mulled sangria) White and Wongs (Devine dumplings) and tonight we are going to Blue Kanu.

We’ve had lots of fun at Remarks, apart from the whiteout of day 1. Amazing views, great groomers, off piste has been a bit crispy but my daughter and I both love a fast groomer. The quad chair to the right of the bowl was a surprise, thought it was just heading over the hill but it went on and on. Really fun, steep rollover groomers down and the off piste up there was slightly better. There’s plenty of opportunities up there with a traverse or hiking in the right conditions.

Day off tomorrow then Coronet for our last day. Longer runs there and consistently steeper. Will decide on Sunday if we have a favourite, but we’ve had lots of fun at both.

essjaywhy

One of Us
Jul 24, 2012
Akl NZ
all the comments on overcrowding above, i have to say that Canterbury has a 1 in 15 year heavy snow coverage to get into. This midweek post-Schoolies , Porters had maybe 30- 40 skiers there, Temple had 4, and Cheeseman about 15 (check out their carpark midday, 4 day cars) . High Avalanche with a wet heavy pack though. Forget the Remarks ; Im worried as Im at a touring event there in a few weekends ...

IMG_7101.jpg

IMG_7103.jpg

IMG_7137.jpg

IMG_7132.jpg

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Yeah. Solid idea.

Maybe I'm a outlier. However between QT, Arrowtown, Wanaka and the wineries . I reckon I could find a bit to experience on a weather day. Without going too far.
I was considering Arrowtown too.

Maybe I’m just a bit too excited about having a car in Queenstown for the first time LOL

Reactions: ShavedBadger

Red_switch

Old n' Crusty
Jun 5, 2006
Dunedin, NZ
all the comments on overcrowding above, i have to say that Canterbury has a 1 in 15 year heavy snow coverage to get into. This midweek post-Schoolies , Porters had maybe 30- 40 skiers there, Temple had 4, and Cheeseman about 15 (check out their carpark midday, 4 day cars) . High Avalanche with a wet heavy pack though. Forget the Remarks ; Im worried as Im at a touring event there in a few weekends ...

IMG_7101.jpg

IMG_7103.jpg

IMG_7137.jpg

IMG_7132.jpg
You'll be fine touring out of remarks

Reactions: Dumphfish
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Wait until Worksafe launches an investigation into that.
They've not long finished white Island.

There was a girl in my class at Primary school that fell into a mud pool at Rotorua.
The edge of the bank crumbled.
Her leg was pickled.

It always feels a bit wild there.

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Weather forecast for my first day in Queenstown (next Tuesday) looks a bit iffy. Might have to find some non ski activities. Will be getting up early Wednesday to hit the slopes with hopefully some fresh snow.

Oh well. It’s been over 2.5 years since my last ski. What’s one more day :)

Reactions: chunky

chunky

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 1998
brisbane,qld,aus
Weather forecast for my first day in Queenstown (next Tuesday) looks a bit iffy. Might have to find some non ski activities. Will be getting up early Wednesday to hit the slopes with hopefully some fresh snow.

Oh well. It’s been over 2.5 years since my last ski. What’s one more day :)
Whatever you get mate you will be on holidays and not at work. I reckon you will have heaps of fun.

Reactions: GlenH and Kimski

H_Rollins

Hard Yards
Nov 14, 2017
Hi I'm traveling to NZ in 2 weeks and am a bit confused about requirements. I have already been granted a "New Zealand Traveler Pass". Do I also need to get a NZeTA in addition to the traveler pass??? BTW I'm an Australian citizen if that makes any difference.
Thanks in advance

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Hi I'm traveling to NZ in 2 weeks and am a bit confused about requirements. I have already been granted a "New Zealand Traveler Pass". Do I also need to get a NZeTA in addition to the traveler pass??? BTW I'm an Australian citizen if that makes any difference.
Thanks in advance
just need the QR code on the traveller pass.

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
:) Whatever you get mate you will be on holidays and not at work. I reckon you will have heaps of fun.
I have doubt about that I’m also visiting Canberra and Thredbo before returning to Adelaide.:)

I’m determined to get out and try and do stuff whatever the weather. Day one I can’t check into my hotel until 3pm so moping around in my room isn’t an option.

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Well that’s a wrap, home tomorrow. 3 days Remarks and 2 Coronet Peak. Daughter snowboarding prefer CP, for the longer runs that weaved through the natural features. I preferred Remarks for the higher altitude with better quality snow and the runs off the quad chair. Great cover at both, but CP was showing more effect of low altitude and moisture. Cookies, slidey bits later in the day and harder snowpack that jarred my injured knee.

Great week, lots of fun. Not really looking forward to the NSW rush and aggression for the rest of the season.

E63DC98B-0B76-4D29-9D4F-52351BAC82DE.jpeg

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Oh and didn’t get covid either (touch wood, still need to get home).

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Well that’s a wrap, home tomorrow. 3 days Remarks and 2 Coronet Peak. Daughter snowboarding prefer CP, for the longer runs that weaved through the natural features. I preferred Remarks for the higher altitude with better quality snow and the runs off the quad chair. Great cover at both, but CP was showing more effect of low altitude and moisture. Cookies, slidey bits later in the day and harder snowpack that jarred my injured knee.

Great week, lots of fun. Not really looking forward to the NSW rush and aggression for the rest of the season.

E63DC98B-0B76-4D29-9D4F-52351BAC82DE.jpeg
Awesome picture.

Did you manage to ski every day you were there? You did well with a weather window by the sounds of it.

Reactions: RustyJ and Kash

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Well I nearly managed to end my ski trip before I began :oops: Tripped over my packed ski bag in the dark and hit my arm and my head hard enough to see stars. Seem to be in one piece apart from a headache but gee, one day my insane clumsiness is going to get me in big trouble.

• Wow
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using