NZ 2022

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Card. I pulled $20 out so I’d have some coins for the laundry. Threw remaining coins to a busker. Brought $10 in notes back.
This.
NZ is a developed economy.
Only lacking a few things. Like Aldi.

NT.Thunder

Early Days
Aug 30, 2021
One thing I learned today, when it's a storm day Wanaka gets super busy. I imagine plenty come from QT and most in Wanaka are there for Cardrona/TC so cruise around the town, great for the economy, sucks to find a car park

So hoping resorts open tomorrow

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
It's not unusual for there to be a small paywave / Credit Card fee (usually 1-2%) but free if inserting and using chequing (domestic). But it's also not widespread either. So YMMV.

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
One thing I learned today, when it's a storm day Wanaka gets super busy. I imagine plenty come from QT and most in Wanaka are there for Cardrona/TC so cruise around the town, great for the economy, sucks to find a car park

So hoping resorts open tomorrow
Pretty sure half of Queenstown was in Arrowtown today LOL

• Haha
Reactions: NT.Thunder

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Oh Donza! We’ve been trying to get Aldi to set up here so they can stick it to the effing supermarket duopoly but they won’t come.
I'm sure Aldi is thinking about it.
3D printer and a mig welder with some great cheeses.
Why not!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
I’m chickening out of driving up to the Remarkables and will take the shuttle from the bottom car park. It’s chains on all vehicles today and I’ll be honest that I wasn’t super confident driving my hire car yesterday.

Reactions: ScottGN

NT.Thunder

Early Days
Aug 30, 2021
Up on the mountain at Cardrona just waiting for the wind to drop and lifts to turn fingers crossed!

Looks a good dump from last night

20220803_094943.jpg

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
I’m at Remarkables. It’s not very remarkable today …

Got one run in off sugar chair and it broke down. There were people stuck on it for about 45 minutes.

Curvey and Shadow have never started and Alta is the only chair running. There’s some unhappy people today! Should have gone to Coronet Peak but it’s still windy there and possibly raining. What can you do.

ScottGN

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 14, 2010
Tāmaki Makaurau - Auckland

Got one run in off sugar chair and it broke down. There were people stuck on it for about 45 minutes.

Curvey and Shadow have never started and Alta is the only chair running. There’s some unhappy people today! Should have gone to Coronet Peak but it’s still windy there and possibly raining. What can you do.
Go to Cardrona! :)

Reactions: NT.Thunder

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Go to Cardrona! :)
Yeah, too late now. I’ll probably go there tomorrow.

Looks like all the resorts are having wind issues to be fair. Don’t regret giving it a go and I’ve had some classic kiwi moments. Jimmy and his Ute gave me and some other poor souls waiting in the line at the base car park a lift up no the mountain and he was just your typical laid back country kiwi. We all had a great chat.

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Forgot to add that I’m using my Ikon pass today so at least it’s not like I paid any extra really.

The funny thing is after worrying how it would work sorting my pass was the most straightforward and hassle free part of my day!

Reactions: chunky

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003

And we were remarking (see what I did there) that we only had a single chair stop for a few minutes, the entire trip.

Reactions: chunky and Kimski
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
And we were remarking (see what I did there) that we only had a single chair stop for a few minutes, the entire trip.
To be fair, the lift situation did motive. All lifts running now at Remarks. I’m quitting and going home because my legs have had enough after such a long break off skiing. I had some fun runs but n nice snow after lunch.

I’m considering doing a lesson in the next day or so, mostly to help boost my confidence.

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
I’
Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 1.29.37 pm.png

Though, TC looks pretty damn nice in the sunshine on the webcams. If saddle opens as expected after lunch, would definitely have been the pick of the day.
I’m hoping to get to TC on one day this trip. Just wasn’t really feeling up for the drive there this morning.

Reactions: chunky

BMWRX

One of Us
Apr 7, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
We are up Cardies tomorrow.

We've just finished our traditional first night of ski trip pork ribs. This time at Pog Mahone's (our pub when we come to QT). Sensational, especially washed down with a few Kilkenny's.

Reactions: chunky and Kimski

ShavedBadger

Uniform-coloured lard bag.
Ski Pass
Apr 30, 2018

We've just finished our traditional first night of ski trip pork ribs. This time at Pog Mahone's (our pub when we come to QT). Sensational, especially washed down with a few Kilkenny's.
I had wondered whether that place was as good as I remembered it. I’ll have to check it out again by the sounds of it.

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010

I’m at Cardies tomorrow too. Booked a morning lesson to hopefully get my ski mojo back.

Just remember, ski trip calories don’t count :thumbs:

BMWRX

One of Us
Apr 7, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I had wondered whether that place was as good as I remembered it. I’ll have to check it out again by the sounds of it.
It's become our place of comfort on trips to QT. And I'm working my way up to getting my name on the wall for 100 pints - I've still got a way to go after starting on our trip 3 years ago (I found out last night that the record for doing it is 3 days. It seems implausible but multiple people verified it).

Reactions: ShavedBadger

Dumphfish

Addicted
Oct 9, 2017
I’

I’m hoping to get to TC on one day this trip. Just wasn’t really feeling up for the drive there this morning.
Saw some footage of the access road from yesterday, very heavy going. Mud up to the axles, cars strewn all over the place, chaos. Need some cold temps to sort out that mess.

Reactions: Kimski

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
It's become our place of comfort on trips to QT. And I'm working my way up to getting my name on the wall for 100 pints - I've still got a way to go after starting on our trip 3 years ago (I found out last night that the record for doing it is 3 days. It seems implausible but multiple people verified it).
In my 20s, toward the end of a month of travel around Europe, we hit Oktoberfest. I recall having 12 steins day 1 and about 8 steins on day 2. So could probably manage that feat - just. But took the right side of age, and some serious match fitness. It scares me that there are many out there capable of this and more!

ShavedBadger

Uniform-coloured lard bag.
Ski Pass
Apr 30, 2018

Holy shit!

A mate of mine told me about a bloke he knew who was determined to be first on the 100 board at a pub in Sydney (P.J. O'Brien's I think?). He apparently took the week off work to do it and managed it in 7 days. I thought that was amazing. To do it in 3 is staggering (literally, I imagine).

easypeasy

Hard Yards
Mar 22, 2005
hobart
Here's a long shot.
Anyone travelling from Qtown airport to Wanaka on monday 8/8 with a spare seat?
I'm arriving at 11:30 which means catching the 11:45 bus to Wanaka is marginal at best.
Unfortunately the next bus is not until 5.00pm
Phone is 0408718847 if you can help

singlefin

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2019
Surprised the Queenstown liquor licensing inspector hasn’t pulled them up on that ! Serving someone 33.3 pints a day is worthy of full attention from the fun police.

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
OK, looks like I might secure 2 weeks leave 29 Aug - 9 Sep.

I want to ski Mt Hutt, some club fields and then Remarks and Coronet Peak. Happy to pick a car up in Christchurch and drive.

Any suggestions on accommodation, travel, food etc greatly appreciated.

As soon as the boss approves my leave I'm pulling the lever.

N0frilz

Addicted
Jul 13, 2015
around
Surprised the Queenstown liquor licensing inspector hasn’t pulled them up on that ! Serving someone 33.3 pints a day is worthy of full attention from the fun police.
Sounds like an urban myth to me.

I want to ski Mt Hutt, some club fields and then Remarks and Coronet Peak. Happy to pick a car up in Christchurch and drive.

Depends how game you are, I’d have a booking for the first night or two and no bookings for the rest then let the snow conditions decide your trip.

Score club fields with good conditions and you’ll love it but if it’s shit it will be shit. Similarly dobo/round hill/Ohau can be all be worth visiting if the conditions are right which can very massively.

Reactions: sli1

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona

Pick up a car.
Follow the weather.
Stay in country pubs or caravan parks.
Make no plans . Really.
Accomodation will be fine to find during those dates.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Take a old jacket and get your self a harness for a nutcracker.

Get heavy leather gloves.

Reactions: sli1

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010

For accommodation, I’m staying at a hotel in Remarkables Park, near the airport. It wouldn’t work if you didn’t have a car or wanted to party in Queenstown every night. There’s not really any noise from the airport at all. It’s much cheaper than staying in Queenstown and has the advantage of not having to drive through Queenstown to get to Remarkables, Cardrona or Treble Cone. I even get a mountain view from my room!

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Cardrona was super busy. Felt more confident with my skiing than yesterday at the Remarkables.

The views were great but the lift lines were pretty long at times.

Driving up the access road was fine in the morning but it was pretty full on driving back down. The road gets very rutted abd muddy and I’m not very experienced in mountain driving. If I do a day at Treble Cone I’m probably going to take a bus from Queenstown.

0A52D838-72AA-48E5-B3DC-2C5C96BB87BB.jpeg

E2971373-DDC3-46B7-9270-B15CDE908F13.jpeg

14CFC53E-BB37-4923-8CCB-C1FE20014541.jpeg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using