NZ 2022

BMWRX

One of Us
Apr 7, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I've done about 20 days at Cardies and today was easily the busiest. Although it wasn't helped by the horrendous wind that kept Captain's closed for almost half the day and Valley View and Whitestar for the first couple hours. Which then means everyone piled onto McDougall's. Oddly enough a lot people left at lunch time (when the whole field went on wind hold) which meant when things dies down in the afternoon it laps-central (almost).

Oh and that wind... wow! I've only experienced something like it at the top of Cortina. It was blowing people over it was that strong.

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
I've done about 20 days at Cardies and today was easily the busiest. Although it wasn't helped by the horrendous wind that kept Captain's closed for almost half the day and Valley View and Whitestar for the first couple hours. Which then means everyone piled onto McDougall's. Oddly enough a lot people left at lunch time (when the whole field went on wind hold) which meant when things dies down in the afternoon it laps-central (almost).

Oh and that wind... wow! I've only experienced something like it at the top of Cortina. It was blowing people over it was that strong.
That wind at Cardrona today was nothing compared to what I experienced at the Remarkables yesterday!

Edited to add that my theory is that Australians who might go to NZ every 2-3 years are all converging on Queenstown this year after so much time of no travel and closed borders.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
For accommodation, I’m staying at a hotel in Remarkables Park, near the airport. It wouldn’t work if you didn’t have a car or wanted to party in Queenstown every night. There’s not really any noise from the airport at all. It’s much cheaper than staying in Queenstown and has the advantage of not having to drive through Queenstown to get to Remarkables, Cardrona or Treble Cone. I even get a mountain view from my room!
Good to know, were staying in a place in Frankton facing the lake, pretty sure its close to the flight path. I am a bit concerned about the noise. we also have car. 3 weeks to go..

NT.Thunder

Early Days
Aug 30, 2021

That wind today was the same and if not better than it's been all week, it was pretty busy today but the mountain handles it well IMO unless a few lifts go on hold. It was funny to see McDougalls on hold and Whitestar still running, quick jump down the side and in business again.

Tomorrow looks again like another windy day, tbh I'd rather it was called closed at 0630 so I can state in bed rather than make the pilgrimage up the mountain to wait for the lifts to open and close all day.

Reactions: BMWRX and Kimski

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Good to know, were staying in a place in Frankton facing the lake, pretty sure its close to the flight path. I am a bit concerned about the noise. we also have car. 3 weeks to go..
I’m pretty noise sensitive so if I’m okay with it you should be fine. Think my hotel windows have some decent double glazing on them. It’s nothing fancy but the price was really good so I’m happy. It even has a washing machine and dryer in the bathroom which is super handy for a ski trip (normal hotel room, not an apartment).

Reactions: BMWRX

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
I’m pretty noise sensitive so if I’m okay with it you should be fine. Think my hotel windows have some decent double glazing on them. It’s nothing fancy but the price was really good so I’m happy. It even has a washing machine and dryer in the bathroom which is super handy for a ski trip (normal hotel room, not an apartment).
Theres a good pub ( so im told ) walking distance from our airbnb on the lake, that will be our local, were there for 5 nights. It has a bath..wife likes a bath, If we cant have a onsen at least we can have a hot bath.. might be a bit squashy.

BMWRX

One of Us
Apr 7, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Sounds like somewhere worth looking at. We always stay at the Whistler Apartments in QT. Heated bathroom floor, super strong shower pressure, washing machine, kitchenette, and great management.

About a 5 minute walk to town on Gorge Rd. I'm not sure if it's because they are trying to get as many people staying here as possible or that we're regulars but we're paying $135NZ/night for 10 nights.

It's sad that apparently a few groups of Australians cancelled their stays here a few weeks back because they saw less than ideal weather up the mountains. It's not helpful for accommodation providers trying to recover from the last couple years.

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
Sounds like somewhere worth looking at. We always stay at the Whistler Apartments in QT. Heated bathroom floor, super strong shower pressure, washing machine, kitchenette, and great management.

About a 5 minute walk to town on Gorge Rd. I'm not sure if it's because they are trying to get as many people staying here as possible or that we're regulars but we're paying $135NZ/night for 10 nights.

It's sad that apparently a few groups of Australians cancelled their stays here a few weeks back because they saw less than ideal weather up the mountains. It's not helpful for accommodation providers trying to recover from the last couple years :thumbs:

ShavedBadger

Uniform-coloured lard bag.
Ski Pass
Apr 30, 2018
It’s worth checking out bookabach.co.nz or airbnb if you are travelling with family as you can get a decent house/apartment for dirt cheap in the QT area. In my case, we originally booked a 3 bedroom cottage in Arrowtown for about $1300 for the week; then when friends of ours said they wanted to join us, we cancelled and booked an eight bed, four bedroom house for $2400. Jindabyne et al ain’t got shit on the QT/Wanaka/Arrowtown region when it comes to stuff like that.

Reactions: Donza
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
It’s worth checking out bookabach.co.nz or airbnb if you are travelling with family as you can get a decent house/apartment for dirt cheap in the QT area. In my case, we originally booked a 3 bedroom cottage in Arrowtown for about $1300 for the week; then when friends of ours said they wanted to join us, we cancelled and booked an eight bed, four bedroom house for $2400. Jindabyne et al ain’t got shit on the QT/Wanaka/Arrowtown region when it comes to stuff like that.
$2400 a night for a 3 bedroom house in Jindabyne

ScottGN

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 14, 2010
Tāmaki Makaurau - Auckland
Reactions: Kimski and skichic

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Bit of a shake here just now
4.8 at 5km
Jolted the doors on the 4th floor of the Queenstown Novotel
I slept through it!

Was staying on the 14th floor of a Tokyo hotel in 2020 when there was an earthquake big enough to trigger the warning alert system on people’s phones. It was at 3am and the whole rom was swaying. Very surreal.

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Today’s weather looks … interesting. I’m heading up to Coronet Peak early. My muscles are pretty sore after skiing the whole day yesterday at Cardrona so a half day is fine with me.

Reactions: ScottGN

NT.Thunder

Early Days
Aug 30, 2021
Today’s weather looks … interesting. I’m heading up to Coronet Peak early. My muscles are pretty sore after skiing the whole day yesterday at Cardrona so a half day is fine with me.
Yeah gusting to 115kmh forecasted for Cardrona, think I'll take a book today.

Treble Cone closed also so no doubt that'll put a bit more pressure on Cardrona if they do spin lifts

BMWRX

One of Us
Apr 7, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
We're up here already. It's a bit blowy at base level bit didn't have the same menacing look that yesterday had at the top (clouds and billowing snow drifts)...yet.

I'd say come say Hi if you see me as I'll be in the bright orange pants (my partner calls them my council worker pants) and charcoal jacket but it seems that's the uniform this year.

NT.Thunder

Early Days
Aug 30, 2021
We're up here already. It's a bit blowy at base level bit didn't have the same menacing look that yesterday had at the top (clouds and billowing snow drifts)...yet.

I'd say come say Hi if you see me as I'll be in the bright orange pants (my partner calls them my council worker pants) and charcoal jacket but it seems that's the uniform this year.
So you're not the guy in the 'Gilly' suit :D:D

I've probably got the matching snowboard and likely the only one on the mountain, haven't seen too many Amplids in NZ.

20220803_103321.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010

I just got here. I’m in pink ski pants black jacket and short. I’ll keep an eye out!

How gorgeous was the sunrise over the mountains this morning?

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
:D

Whoops. Nearly went to say hi to someone in charcoal pants and a bright orange jacket

• Haha

NT.Thunder

Early Days
Aug 30, 2021
Should've brought my ice skates or maybe sharpened my edges

Coffee it is. Interesting to see how much more skiing gets done today, thought I read the wind was really supposed to come in hard around midday.

Reactions: Kimski

BMWRX

One of Us
Apr 7, 2019
Brisbane, Australia

Coffee it is. Interesting to see how much more skiing gets done today, thought I read the wind was really supposed to come in hard around midday.
I got two runs in on Footrot before the wind hold. Terribly icy. It's almost to the point that they probably shouldn't have opened today, particularly if the wind is going to pick up later. But, you know, it's all about the dollar bucks.

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010

I made the mistake of skiing down to Greengates lift. I’ve already seen a couple of accidents and the aftermath of a couple of others. Some poor soul was sliding down the ice at a hell of a pace. They weren’t far off hitting a snow cannon.I hope to hell they’re okay :(

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
I got two runs in on Footrot before the wind hold. Terribly icy. It's almost to the point that they probably shouldn't have opened today, particularly if the wind is going to pick up later. But, you know, it's all about the dollar bucks.
I’ve got an Ikon pass I’m using otherwise I probably wouldn’t have paid good money for today. Might just work on technique on the easy runs and have an early lunch before heading home.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Personally. Looking at the weather systems. Canters is the go at the moment.
Potentially strong E/SE flow into a decent cold pool.
*From sunday

Reactions: Kash and ScottGN

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
I’ve called it a day. I skied to 3pm at Cardrona yesterday but I’m just not feeling it today and some spots on Coronet are actually dangerous.

Seeing the out of control slide and hearing the poor woman scream after probably doing her ACL near the base area have sort of killed the mood for me.

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
I’ve called it a day. I skied to 3pm at Cardrona yesterday but I’m just not feeling it today and some spots on Coronet are actually dangerous.

Seeing the out of control slide and hearing the poor woman scream after probably doing her ACL near the base area have sort of killed the mood for me.
Have you tried the t bar? The groomer out wide was nice when we were there, and not very busy. Gets closed off morning for race training though. Also a nice little cafe at the base. Also generally less icy on the offpiste between the runs, less traffic.

N0frilz

Addicted
Jul 13, 2015
around
Have you tried the t bar? The groomer out wide was nice when we were there, and not very busy. Gets closed off morning for race training though. Also a nice little cafe at the base. Also generally less icy on the offpiste between the runs, less traffic.
Shame that area has never been expanded and upgraded, racer trainers love the that t bar.

Reactions: skichic

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
No but to be honest my muscles are pretty sore so I’m going to rest up or do a non ski activity and live to ski another day. Not sure my legs are T bar ready today!

Depending on the weather I plan to ski all day tomorrow. Likely will be either Remarkables or maybe Cardrona.

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
Southern Lakes -

It's super windy gusting over 120km/h. Still above freezing at ~2000m and precip a fair amount tonight. Hope it's snow up higher. Tomorrow should be significantly less windy, so I'd suggest going as high as possible (Cardrona/Remarks) to hope to get new snow (heavy) instead of rain.

There will be substantial closures of terrain tomorrow with 72hours of warm temps, rain/snow etc.

ScottGN

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 14, 2010
Tāmaki Makaurau - Auckland
Southern Lakes -

It's super windy gusting over 120km/h. Still above freezing at ~2000m and precip a fair amount tonight. Hope it's snow up higher. Tomorrow should be significantly less windy, so I'd suggest going as high as possible (Cardrona/Remarks) to hope to get new snow (heavy) instead of rain.

There will be substantial closures of terrain tomorrow with 72hours of warm temps, rain/snow etc.
I think freezing level is forecast to climb to about 2400 this evening with pretty solid rain before lowering tomorrow so looks like a decent rinse for everywhere tonight.

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
I think freezing level is forecast to climb to about 2400 this evening with pretty solid rain before lowering tomorrow so looks like a decent rinse for everywhere tonight.

Yes. After that it could drop down to around 1700-1900m (near midnight) when a bulk of precip comes through. So, see how the freezing level plays out.

singlefin

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2019
Basically it’s going to be crap everywhere on the South Island for a few days, Canterbury included.

singlefin

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2019
Canterbury especially as the Sou-easterly moves in Sun/Mon. Distinct possibility of snow lowering to Oxford, Methven, Mt Somers etc.
Yes with no viz until Tuesday or Wednesday. It’s not looking like a classic powder day settting up, just a few bad days of weather and a refresh as it clears up. Pretty much the same as has been happening all season, nothing to get too excited about.

NT.Thunder

Early Days
Aug 30, 2021
Very messy now, winds up and light rain now here at Cardrona, the smart people have left, I thought I'd stay and contribute to the Wanaka Lager economy but first they ran out of glasses and secondly they ran out of lager - must be time to go.

• Wow

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
The snow report for Cardrona today had chains on 2WD for mud. Has anyone come across this before? It was pretty hairy driving down that road in my rental 2WD yesterday. I’ll be using the base car park if I go again.

N0frilz

Addicted
Jul 13, 2015
around
The snow report for Cardrona today had chains on 2WD for mud. Has anyone come across this before? It was pretty hairy driving down that road in my rental 2WD yesterday. I’ll be using the base car park if I go again.
Seen it before, I remember chains on the crown range road due to mud back in the day.

Reactions: Kimski and ScottGN

BMWRX

One of Us
Apr 7, 2019
Brisbane, Australia

I've done something to my MCL (not sure if in the crash or by twisting to reach down with my hand to release my bindings - the pain and sound happened during the reaching but the damage had probably already been done by that point - was a good crash). Not ideal with whether 6 days of skiing left. Hopefully gritted teeth and Voltaren gets me through.

We're up Remarks tomorrow (I heard there is a toll for driving up - $10? Cash only?). Hoping to get a good park if we get up there around 8am, maybe a bit earlier. It looks like rain on the forecast for most fields this weekend so I think it won't matter where we go as it'll be a bit poo.

NT.Thunder

Early Days
Aug 30, 2021
I've done something to my MCL (not sure if in the crash or by twisting to reach down with my hand to release my bindings - the pain and sound happened during the reaching but the damage had probably already been done by that point - was a good crash). Not ideal with whether 6 days of skiing left. Hopefully gritted teeth and Voltaren gets me through.

We're up Remarks tomorrow (I heard there is a toll for driving up - $10? Cash only?). Hoping to get a good park if we get up there around 8am, maybe a bit earlier. It looks like rain on the forecast for most fields this weekend so I think it won't matter where we go as it'll be a bit poo.
Might have seen you at Cardrona this morning, maybe, maybe not but man those pants were bright :D

Hope the knee holds up

• Haha

BMWRX

One of Us
Apr 7, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Might have seen you at Cardrona this morning, maybe, maybe not but man those pants were bright :D

Hope the knee holds up
Some would call it "retina burning orange."

I was all over the mountain in the short time it was open, so it's likely you saw me wobble past. Actually had a couple really good carving runs on Racecourse as hardly anyone was using it.

Reactions: NT.Thunder

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Is there a good app for keeping track of weather and lift status of the ski fields around Queenstown?
I use a combination of Snow-forecast.com which gives a pretty good indication of freeze level, temps, wind speeds etc and the early morning snow reports from each of the resorts. Some of them are posted as early as 6am

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using