NZ 2022

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
I've done something to my MCL (not sure if in the crash or by twisting to reach down with my hand to release my bindings - the pain and sound happened during the reaching but the damage had probably already been done by that point - was a good crash). Not ideal with whether 6 days of skiing left. Hopefully gritted teeth and Voltaren gets me through.

We're up Remarks tomorrow (I heard there is a toll for driving up - $10? Cash only?). Hoping to get a good park if we get up there around 8am, maybe a bit earlier. It looks like rain on the forecast for most fields this weekend so I think it won't matter where we go as it'll be a bit poo.
I don’t think there’s a toll. You can pay to get a bus up from the base car park but it’s not a shuttle bus, you just have to hope for space on the buses driving from Queenstown. I’m still probably going to use it tomorrow as I don’t love the mountain access roads and only have a 2WD.

We might have got our wires crossed. Was at Coronet Peak today, not Cardrona. Can confirm there were plenty of guys with your ski outfit there too :D

That’s no good about your knee. Is it worth getting it looked at? Guess any doc’s main advice will be ‘no more skiing this trip’ which isn’t what you want.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
Is there a good app for keeping track of weather and lift status of the ski fields around Queenstown?
Snow.co.nz used to be the go to for all of NZ but I think it went belly up a while ago, relaunched and doesn't have the same adoptance / updated as reliably.

BMWRX

One of Us
Apr 7, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I don’t think there’s a toll. You can pay to get a bus up from the base car park but it’s not a shuttle bus, you just have to hope for space on the buses driving from Queenstown. I’m still probably going to use it tomorrow as I don’t love the mountain access roads and only have a 2WD.

We might have got our wires crossed. Was at Coronet Peak today, not Cardrona. Can confirm there were plenty of guys with your ski outfit there too :D

That’s no good about your knee. Is it worth getting it looked at? Guess any doc’s main advice will be ‘no more skiing this trip’ which isn’t what you want.
Precisely! If no one tells me my knee's a mess then it's not a mess.

• Haha
Reactions: RustyJ and Kimski

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
There was a fire in the retail store at Cardies overnight, so they'll be delayed in opening this morning as they clean that up. We'll be at Remarks anyway.
Wow, random.

I’ll be at Remarks too.

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Confession time. I drove most of the way up the Remarkables access road but turned back not long after the unsealed part started. My 2nd rental felt like it lost traction in a couple of places and I just didn’t feel safe going any further.

Lesson learned. That road is not for me (in a 2wd anyway).

Doesn’t help that my car is on the understeery side. Not ideal for mountain roads!

Edited to add that I’ve decided to do the Dart River jet boat this afternoon as a plan b activity.

I’ll be skiing the next three days and have booked a lesson at Coronet Peak for Tuesday morning. I have to return my rental car by 1.30pm that day so the Remarks might not work for time if I can’t drive up.

BMWRX

One of Us
Apr 7, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Confession time. I drove most of the way up the Remarkables access road but turned back not long after the unsealed part started. My 2nd rental felt like it lost traction in a couple of places and I just didn’t feel safe going any further.

Lesson learned. That road is not for me (in a 2nd anyway).

Doesn’t help that my car is on the understeery side. Not ideal for mountain roads!
The road is pretty sketchy in parts. We got up here super early so that we drove the road before it got chewed up this morning.

Can you catch a ride up from the bottom carpark? I'm in red pants and charcoal jacket today. Oh, and a solid beard (lots of people wearing similar clothes to me but not many as hirsute).

Reactions: Kimski

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
The road is pretty sketchy in parts. We got up here super early so that we drove the road before it got chewed up this morning.

Can you catch a ride up from the bottom carpark? I'm in red pants and charcoal jacket today. Oh, and a solid beard (lots of people wearing similar clothes to me but not many as hirsute).
See my update. I’m going with plan b and doing some touristy stuff. Would have loved to have met you otherwise. Maybe one of my remaining three days we can meet up:)

Do you have a 4wd? I feel my car would have struggled coming down after the road was chewed up even more.

At least driving down was much less scary. Just put it in low gear for most of the way and the down road is mostly in the mountain side so no heights to be scared of.

chunky

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 1998
brisbane,qld,aus
Wow the reports for the snowfalls out of the Canterbury area look massive! How many years has it been to see snow like this over there to low levels?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

chunky

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 1998
brisbane,qld,aus
Yep if you're travelling get across those passes and get to where you need to be because I reckon they will be closed for a few days.

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Ripping day at Remarks so far. (Sorry @Kimski). The sun comes and goes so visibility is a little tough towards the top at times but overall very few complaints.
All good. I enjoyed the scenic drive to Glenorchy and this is a tourist trip as well as a ski trip so no regrets :)

Reactions: ScottGN and BMWRX

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Trying to decide between Cardrona and Treble Cone for Monday. Will probably take the bus from Queenstown for Cardrona. For Treble Cone I’m thinking it will be best to take the road via Cromwell to avoid Crown Range Road after snow, low freezing levels (according to Snowforecast) and ice. Is there a chance the Cromwell Road could have ice as well?

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
Monday's going to be a great day to be on any mountain skiing. Sunshine, dry cold snow. If you have a 2wd and you were concerned driving up remarks, drive around via cromwell. It only takes a little bit longer. Cromwell road shouldn't be too bad freezing level is forecast to be a little above the valley bottom, so you might escape any or you may encounter a little.

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
Today near Glenorchy

220806 HMH Glenorchy (7 of 15).jpg

220806 HMH Glenorchy (11 of 15).jpg

220806 HMH Glenorchy (8 of 15).jpg

Zeroz

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 8, 2002
Bouvet Island
www.banipal.co.uk
Zany weather. Any good suggestions on where to ski tomorrow somewhere around Canterbury?

It's Day 1, but given weather happy to just ski and heli warm up, prefer challenging terrain, ok with some hiking.
Have 4WD with chains but prefer to avoid. (I am hilariously shit at fitting chains - have a story about Buller and mudguard whipping)

Looking at Craigieburn (access?) or if if easier Porters, or....? Could do Hutt but was keeping that for Monday.
Also test driving someone in new who claims to be "not a bad skier". Hmmm.

Any great ideas?

BMWRX

One of Us
Apr 7, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
We'll, that's rap on my first proper day at Remarkables. And it's fair to say definitely not my last (actually going back tomorrow). Even with the intermittent light it was brilliant fun, especially over Sugar Bowl way. It's not quite as good as Cardies but for an hour's less driving each way (from QT), it certainly comes close.

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
We'll, that's rap on my first proper day at Remarkables. And it's fair to say definitely not my last (actually going back tomorrow). Even with the intermittent light it was brilliant fun, especially over Sugar Bowl way. It's not quite as good as Cardies but for an hour's less driving each way (from QT), it certainly comes close.
It’s a fun little hill hey? We really enjoyed the quad, some nice runs up there and less people too. And spectacular views.

Reactions: RustyJ
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
Zany weather. Any good suggestions on where to ski tomorrow somewhere around Canterbury?

It's Day 1, but given weather happy to just ski and heli warm up, prefer challenging terrain, ok with some hiking.
Have 4WD with chains but prefer to avoid. (I am hilariously shit at fitting chains - have a story about Buller and mudguard whipping)

Looking at Craigieburn (access?) or if if easier Porters, or....? Could do Hutt but was keeping that for Monday.

Any great ideas?

Just wait to see who's open. They got a shit ton of rain today (all closed). Tomorrow's sun will make patrol iffy on opening any hiking terrain / avalanche closures due to isothermal conditions + warmth + sun. But the day after you should be good with the cold snap and fresh snow. Just do some groomer laps at wherevers open (I'd suggest staying away from Craigieburn / clubbies because you'll want groomers with the current conditions).

Reactions: johnski and Zeroz

N0frilz

Addicted
Jul 13, 2015
around

Any great ideas?
Have you rode nut crackers before? If your not and not keen on chains prob good to avoid the club fields.

Which leaves you cheeseman, porters or hutt.

NT.Thunder

Early Days
Aug 30, 2021
If you don’t have a car QT is a no brainer. Worked perfectly for us.
You could do Wanaka/Cardrona easily without a car. The bus transfers are brilliant IMO, never drove up the mountain once the last 6 days, sit back and enjoy the ride.

Reactions: RustyJ

NT.Thunder

Early Days
Aug 30, 2021
Did you get a bus to Wanaka?
No we drove from QT to Wanaka, my wife and older daughter had the car each day as they don't ski/board so we were on the bus every day. There were plenty of QT buses though, can't imagine its difficult getting from QT to Wanaka by bus though.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Only issue in wanaka is the size of the supermarket. One NW.

Unless that's changed recently.

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
We liked the tourist vibe of QT. Was the perfect holiday for us this time. Next visit could be in the green season.

Reactions: Donza

singlefin

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2019

Any great ideas?
If you’re not keen on chains and not too confident driving in snow it’s going to snow heavily to low levels tomorrow avo. Would be a good idea to get off a mountain before that happens. Access roads can get pretty chaotic when weather comes in and somewhere like Hutt will have plenty of kamikazes in rental cars. If you go to the clubbies then there’s a good chance porters pass will get closed too. And if it’s heavy snow that’s no fun even with chains with potential to be stuck there. Happened last weekend.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
That NW is pretty good, lived in towns with plenty less than what's available in Wanaka let alone just visiting.
Wanaka is a pretty big town now.
Especially with some of the peripheral housing estates being developed.
That NW has been the same for years.

Reactions: NT.Thunder

johnski

Hard Yards
Jan 1, 1970
Perth

Zany weather. Any good suggestions on where to ski tomorrow somewhere around Canterbury?It's Day 1, but given weather happy to just ski and heli warm up, prefer challenging terrain, ok with some hiking.

Any great ideas?
Agree with @oreo that porters could be ok if it’s not too warm and wet for them to groom overnight - all clubbies have been hammered with warm temps and the wet stuff and will be worried about avi danger so Sunday won’t be good..see what the reports say. For Sunday night I would look to stay up at one of the clubbies (Craigieburn my fav) so that you can be on the hill for freshies on Monday morning without stuffing about driving and don’t need to deal with Porters pass, chains etc. snow not meant to be coming in heavily until Sunday arvo/evening so road up to craigieburn shouldn’t be too bad - try to avoid driving up craigieburn rd between 230-4pm as there will downhill traffic.

Heinz

Fully vaccinated and travelling again!
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Heading up to Cardrona today for first ski day of trip.

Edit. Or maybe not. Road is on hold with the new snow. Been stuck here for the last hour.

Last edited:
Reactions: RustyJ and Kimski

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Wanaka is a pretty big town now.
Especially with some of the peripheral housing estates being developed.
That NW has been the same for years.
Yep, first brief glance shows a fair bit of new developments on the outskirts of town.
Looks like I timed visit to NW ok yesterday, not busy at all. The bars though were a different story but not unusual for a Sat night.

Reactions: Donza

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Plenty of snow at Remarks today. Terrible light conditions though. Still great fun.

We luckily matter it up before the road got closed. It's not opening until midday, after the grader has been through.
Yes very bad vis but certainly a winter wonderland for those that made it here.

I managed to run off the edge of the green cat track here at Remarks which was a very interesting moment. At least the snow is soft when you (inevitably) fall over.

Reactions: RustyJ and Donza

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Yep, first brief glance shows a fair bit of new developments on the outskirts of town.
Looks like I timed visit to NW ok yesterday, not busy at all. The bars though were a different story but not unusual for a Sat night.
Gee the new NW is fancy.
Three parks.
20220807_101120.jpg

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Did get up to Cardrona eventually. Had to wait for grader to clear top part of road. Bit of new snow on crunchy base, light a bit flat.

Reactions: ScottGN and Kimski

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
Is that on the same site? I'm trying to think of last time we went over. Might be 5 years now? Always found the NW there covered our needs well for trips. Wayyy better than Jindy Woolies (though that's a low bar).

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Is that on the same site? I'm trying to think of last time we went over. Might be 5 years now? Always found the NW there covered our needs well for trips. Wayyy better than Jindy Woolies (though that's a low bar).
New NW is at 3 parks.
5min out of town

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using