NZ Heliboarding photos

Tweeker

First Runs
May 22, 2001
Melbourne
Greetings,

A mate and myself recently did a days heliboarding just outside of Wanaka. Here are a few photos from an awesome day. Photos are from Wednesday August 10, 2005.

heli12.jpg

1. First run down. 25-30cm of new powder snow.

heli15.jpg

2. Chopper awaiting pickup at the bottom.

heli14.jpg

3. Drop off at the top of Foggy Peak

heli16.jpg

4. Sweeettt!

More pics to follow soon!
Enjoy
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Tweeker

First Runs
May 22, 2001
Melbourne
We timed it pretty well - we had 5 days accom. in Queenstown (Mon - Fri) and they only managed one day of flying while we were there. Ordinary weather on all days except for Wednesday. It snowed 30cms on Mon night/Tuesday morning so couldn't have asked for much more. Pretty lucky really :thumbs:

I will post more pics tomorrow night.

Tweeker

First Runs
May 22, 2001
Melbourne
Prices throughout the various heli companies in NZ are fairly similar. We did 7 runs which cost $945 (NZ dollars). Not cheap but an amazing experience. The first couple of runs were shortish (warm ups) but as the day progressed the runs got much longer. These runs seemed well over 1000m in vertical drop.

At times I found it hard work keeping the nose of my board out of the powder snow which was fairly deep in gullies but apart from that it was all smooth sailing. We were offered extra runs at the end of the day (about $80 each I think)

foxpuppet

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 22, 2005
Tokyo, Zao, Niseko
Tweeker said:

At times I found it hard work keeping the nose of my board out of the powder snow which was fairly deep in gullies but apart from that it was all smooth sailing.
what size/type board did you ride and how heavy/tall etc are you?
did you set your stance back at all or use a board longer than normal or did you just ride your normal board?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Tweeker

First Runs
May 22, 2001
Melbourne
Yeah it was a reasonably full day. Up in the mountains for about 7-8 hours I think.

Here are a couple more pics:

heli21.jpg

Cruising.

heli20.jpg

Great views from up the top again. Foggy Peak is to the left.

heli23.jpg

Fresh tracks everywhere. Spot the three mountain goats in the middle! Crazy animals.

Enjoy these
laugh.gif

Misery

First Runs
Aug 12, 2005
Anywhere and everywhere...
cry.gif
I'm sitting watching the snow melt at Treble from my bedroom window...............

If only I had a spare grand to get in some late season heli-boarding!!
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using