NZ impose self isolation restriction on all visitors

chunky

Pool Room
Jul 24, 1998
brisbane,qld,aus
Well I hope no one has planned a trip there currently because you will spend the first two weeks in self isolation. Extremely tough. I was planning a hiking trip in May but luckily I didn't book.

chunky

Pool Room
Jul 24, 1998
brisbane,qld,aus
New Zealand will require all internationally arriving people - including returning Kiwis - to self-isolate for a fortnight as the country locks down to ward off the spread of coronavirus.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced the measure on Saturday after an emergency meeting of cabinet.

"We do not take these decisions lightly," she said.

"New Zealand will have the widest-ranging and toughest border restrictions of anyone in the world."

Ms Ardern said the measure applied to people, and not goods, though gave an exemption to people arriving from the Pacific - a region largely devoid of the virus.

The decisions will take effect as of midnight NZDT on Sunday.

Heinz

Have skis, will travel - Once borders open again..
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
The decision is going to be reviewed in 16 days.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
So...they will kill their tourism industry, but I guess it would have been on life support already.

Bit of a Trumpian moment, like his ban on travel from the EU.

Reactions: bluestick

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
Ski season is a long way off to be fair
I'd be surprised this lasts more than 2 months

Peanut

One of Us
Mar 3, 2018
I’ve only committed to flights so far. I’m holding off on purchasing lift passes in case it doesn’t all blow over before July. As I said to hubby, worst case scenario if the season goes ahead is that we’re out of pocket an extra few hundred.

art

One of Us
Jun 24, 2004
With what's going on everywhere I can't see NZ lifting this restriction in their next review.
NZ is hoping they can put a lid on cases and be free of the virus.
If (it's a big if) they are successful they then have the issue of no immunity in their population and the rest of the world being full of it.
In that case the 14 days might stay for a very long time and might even be strengthened with stricter quarantine.

In those conditions I would happily spend 2 weeks in quarantine to have a long holiday in NZ without the hordes and without ongoing restrictions on movement that we may have.

expatgm

One of Us
Aug 4, 2014
Queenstown
NZ Ski acknowledging this season may not happen or happen on a limited basis.
Also confirmed with my own authoritive sources within the company.
See nzski.com
Any ones guess if Wayfare will follow suit with TC & Cardrona

chunky

Pool Room
Jul 24, 1998
brisbane,qld,aus
It's a shame the quarantine didn't come in soon enough for a few. If you didn't hear the famous Wanaka tree was vandalised two days ago :(

Red_switch

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2006
Dunedin, NZ
See nzski.com
Yeah, I reckon op's will be scaled back, at best. For NZSki, that'll mean Coronet OR Remarks, not both.

Cardies/TC similar I reckon. Shit timing for their first year running TC.

expatgm

One of Us
Aug 4, 2014
Queenstown
See nzski.com

See cardrona.com they are doing the same.

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
If it was winter now I bet they'd be saying skiing is a no-no:cry: just as they are with fishing hunting etc...
How gutted you be on what would have been an epic powder day
I guess im glad it's not winter

Still can't go fishing or surfing for 4 weeks!! I just bought bait :cry:

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Doesn't Australia has the same restrictions in place except tougher with detention in hotels?

ScottGN

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 14, 2010
Tāmaki Makaurau - Auckland
Doesn't Australia has the same restrictions in place except tougher with detention in hotels?
We have mandatory quarantine too now. Apparently 40,000 NZers have returned home in the last 2 and a half weeks, the PM said today there wasn’t enough hotel rooms in NZ to forcibly quarantine them all.

Donzah

Formerly know as Aldi whorehouse.
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2017
woonona
I see Rainbow has put out the most definitive statement re skiing in NZ so far

Donzah

Formerly know as Aldi whorehouse.
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2017
woonona
Rainbow Ski Field Update – April 7th, 2020

As per our previous update we have suspended the 2020 season as we take the lead from the government while in the Covid-19 Alert Level 4.
The opening of the season will depend on the Government Alert Level in the Nelson/Tasman region. If we are at Alert Level Four we will have NO season and remain closed until 2021. On Alert Level Three, opening is very unlikely as currently this means public venues are closed and we use DOC land. At Alert Level Two and One we would look to have a domestic only season and decide on the services we would offer closer to the time.

Reactions: cold wombat

ScottGN

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 14, 2010
Fair call.
You’re right about the tourism industry though, it’s on life support at the moment. One surprising stat to have come out recently though was that the amount of money Kiwis spend abroad, annually, is about NZ6 billion more than inbound tourists spend in NZ. So if (when) our tourism industry becomes totally domestic-oriented those businesses hopefully can make some sort of recovery.

ScottGN

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 14, 2010
It’s anyone’s guess though, right now, how big the impact of all this is going to be on property prices at resort towns all across NZ but particularly Queenstown and Wanaka. Two of NZ’s most inflated markets must surely be in for a pretty steep price correction.

Reactions: cold wombat

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
Received this email today from Mt Ruapehu:

"Tēnā koutou katoa,

As New Zealand continues to adjust to life under the COVID-19 alert level 4 and as we head into week three of lockdown, we want to update you on what our teams have been working through and the potential impact this could have on our business.

We have been busy modelling the potential impact COVID-19 may have on the coming winter using various scenarios based on the government's Alert Levels. The worst-case scenario of not being able to open for winter would mean a loss, and an increase in debt for RAL that is unacceptably high for both us and our Bank. The current uncertainty around lockdown levels means that we are currently working on whether it is possible to commit to the pre-winter costs of contracting labour and preparing the mountain, to at least keep the option open of skiing when we can. This is a month by month judgement that we will make in tandem with our Bank.

With the current lockdown and uncertainty around the reduction in alert levels we have paused as much expenditure as is practical whilst keeping the business operating. Our team has made sacrifices themselves to set RAL up for success in the future; a number of our team are on discretionary leave, are working reduced hours from home and have on average taken a 40% reduction in pay as we navigate through this period of uncertainty.

We have also been able to apply for, and have been granted, the wage subsidy. This has allowed us to keep all our current staff engaged with the business during this lockdown period.

One thing that is certain, if we do manage to open for winter 2020, our operations will be significantly different to what our guests have experienced in the past. This lockdown period puts us behind in our scheduled maintenance and, with the closure of borders and some of the skill sets we were going to engage from overseas, it is likely that not all facilities will be operational for winter 2020.

We have made the decision to defer our AGM until later this year with an update to be provided once we have certainty around a date.

We want to thank you all for your patience. We acknowledge that this is a difficult and uncertain time for our employees and all those in our region exposed to our uncertain outlook. When we have relevant new information, we will update as soon as we are able.

Stay safe and take care!

Nāku iti noa, nā
Murray Gribben & the RAL Board of Directors"

teleroo

<\unencrypted>
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
Received this email today from Mt Ruapehu:

"Tēnā koutou katoa,

As New Zealand continues to adjust to life under the COVID-19 alert level 4 and as we head into week three of lockdown, we want to update you on what our teams have been working through and the potential impact this could have on our business.

We have been busy modelling the potential impact COVID-19 may have on the coming winter using various scenarios based on the government's Alert Levels. The worst-case scenario of not being able to open for winter would mean a loss, and an increase in debt for RAL that is unacceptably high for both us and our Bank. The current uncertainty around lockdown levels means that we are currently working on whether it is possible to commit to the pre-winter costs of contracting labour and preparing the mountain, to at least keep the option open of skiing when we can. This is a month by month judgement that we will make in tandem with our Bank.

With the current lockdown and uncertainty around the reduction in alert levels we have paused as much expenditure as is practical whilst keeping the business operating. Our team has made sacrifices themselves to set RAL up for success in the future; a number of our team are on discretionary leave, are working reduced hours from home and have on average taken a 40% reduction in pay as we navigate through this period of uncertainty.

We have also been able to apply for, and have been granted, the wage subsidy. This has allowed us to keep all our current staff engaged with the business during this lockdown period.

One thing that is certain, if we do manage to open for winter 2020, our operations will be significantly different to what our guests have experienced in the past. This lockdown period puts us behind in our scheduled maintenance and, with the closure of borders and some of the skill sets we were going to engage from overseas, it is likely that not all facilities will be operational for winter 2020.

We have made the decision to defer our AGM until later this year with an update to be provided once we have certainty around a date.

We want to thank you all for your patience. We acknowledge that this is a difficult and uncertain time for our employees and all those in our region exposed to our uncertain outlook. When we have relevant new information, we will update as soon as we are able.

Stay safe and take care!

Nāku iti noa, nā
Murray Gribben & the RAL Board of Directors"
Far out they seem close to the edge. Never a good sign when the bank gets involved.

Last edited:

Red_switch

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2006
Dunedin, NZ
I saw that 5000 people have applied for council welfare in Queenstown lakes district already. Not a good sign...

Dumphfish

Addicted
Oct 9, 2017
I agree.
More important things to worry about right now
Skiing is way down the list
I hear you, it has to be incredibly tough. Good vibes to all the people down there. The international tourism market is dead and unlikely to fully recover for years. The domestic market will probably boom. Queenstown and Wanaka are going to have to rethink their economies and how they survive and thrive into the future. It's going to be very different. Many people might welcome that, locals included.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass