Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Alpine & Snow' started by Draizuh, Apr 30, 2016.
GFS likes this weekend on the latest run. 15-20cm ish.
Yep looks likely. Will be my first trip and first snowboard session in NZ. I'll be coming up from Te Anau most likely Friday arvo. Stay at Backpackers or whatever I can find cheapish. Need to get bindings and boots so will prob hit up Torpedo 7 and get it sorted Sat morning then head up Coronet.
Any advice is much appreciated..
Shouldn't be much rain over Thursday and Friday either. Should be good up there opening day.
I'll be blowing the cobwebs out and testing my new gear, never bought a Snowboard so it's a first. The setup is interesting and I can't think of a better opportunity to tweak it with a fresh dump on a relatively cruisey Mtn. Have a relatively good level so hopefully Sunday I'll be Buttering it up.. yeeoww
Forecast for most mountains is 1-2mmTotal rainfall out of the storm. Looks like almost all the rain will drop on the west coast. Warm and wet onThursday with freeze level dropping to 2000M Friday and then down to 1600M for Sat with snow. Mt Hutt might be shut on opening day Friday and Saturday with Severe gale northwesterlies turning gale westerly.
Downgrade today imo. Temps will be touch and go around Queenstown for Saturday. Could see more rain.
Yep, Little touch up maybe Sat-Sun. My plans are on hold.
Shouldn't be much rain, only a few mm's. I would go Sunday if I were you, forecasts indicating 10-15cm over Saturday night and Sunday.
I still see 12 to 18 hours of low freezing levels and plenty of moisture over Sat / Sun. All good IMO, maybe a bit of pre frontal but nothing to worry about. IMO
Not really a downgrade, more a fairly normal slowing of the system's progression. It still looks good for a decent snow across all South Island ski areas on Sunday. Next week is looking pretty good on the long range too.
Metserivce got todays forcast badly wrong for Christchurch. "High cloud with a few spots of rain. Northeast." but we are getting hammered with heavy rain and its not going to stop until late this afternoon.
All the nice snow around Canterbury is getting hammered as well.
Same here in Dunedin
Looks like Coronet took a hit overnight.
Lets hope the Sunday snow replaces what has been lost +more
How bad of a hit Roarkie? Looking at going to Queenstown in mid July, would this rain have much of an effect on the potential snow cover then?
I'd cancel your plans.
Not sure if serious? Haha the reason I asked is because over on SnowWatch, they were saying there was going to be a large amount of damage to existing cover.
Existing cover at this time of year is a bonus, rain on snow is pretty normal in NZ in June (and throughout winter, indeed)
looks like its clearing up now. Next block of rain coming tomorrow.
Imo I don't think it is so much due to the rain, it has been very warm this past week. It has barely gotten into freezing at Coronet since last Friday.
Mt Hutt has taken the biggest hit though. No where near 100cm base now, huge gaps of snow on the cams.
Settle boys.....................early June.
Speak for yourself bro, it was minus 6 at my place yesterday. But, yes, we've had inversion lately and Coronet Peak hasn't been able to make snow for the last week or so.
snowatch for NZ is crap, pure and simple.
Yeah that's what I meant. Should be cold enough to make snow after this Saturday though.
Why's that? SnowWatch's predictions seem fairly well justified and supported by weather models (that being said I have no idea about weather forecasting) just curious why you think they're crap. Is there a similar view of 'the grasshopper' or are his predictions more accurate?
Looks like it will be a short burst. Good thing is it happens overnight Sat-Sun. Mostly above 1400m which opens up a little bit of terrain for the eager. Going to be a late decision for me to make the journey. The following week/weekend doesn't bring too much hope so maybe I'll make the most of it. See what tomorrows predictions bring..
Should be above 1000m imo.
It's been quite the inversion, has been rather warm in the Alpine.
Interesting Metvuw for 6am Sun..
Yeah it was -8 out where im working on hogans gully yesterday. Freeeezing. Today was pretty warm though.
Cover has taken a hit, certainly, but its early june!
GFS still good with it.. Interesting little cold burst. Could fade with that big fat high..
Its a shame we dont have a big fat high sitting to the east of us as that tends to force colder air onto the country, the remnants of that storm that hit the east coast of aussie would make for some epic precip on the main divide (and probably still will)
Looks like Coronet has sustained it's base. Temps look good for tomorrow to keep it real. If that cold burst lives up to it's potential could be some..
So what , chill bro , still early days fknows what will happen next month.
No Cam, Your looking into it to far.. Weather patterns are truly amazing. Most of the people on here have a fairly good understanding purely from their experiences/age/ability etc... The knowledge base is huge. I encourage you to tap into this..
The cover has taken a hit, but it's a hit we can take. There will be snow on Sunday, it will be pretty cold for snowmaking the next few days and there is snow in the forecast next Wednesday-Thursday. The cover should be repaired by this time next week imo. Re July, it's still like a month away, anything can happen between now and then. This rain will have barely any affect on the July base.
Remarks reported snow falling across the ski area this morning, rain at Coronet Peak. It was pretty mild overnight as the nor-westerly roared over the alps. Cooler from tonight and the snow level should drop to about 600 metres by Sunday morning, here's hoping we get a decent burst of moisture.
One thing I don't understand.........................since the upgrades to the Remarks. Why don't they bring forward the opening of the Remarks to the same weekend as Coronet or even before? Higher elevation, more snow on the ground, new base building, larger learning area, new lift, new road surface and still it opens a week later than Coronet. I can't see any advantage in keeping the same old policy going. Insiders?
Coronet Peak reporting piste is holding up. They should have the main runs open like M1 etc.
Company Politics. There are these crazy idiots in queenstown and in NZski who think coronet peak is the best ski area in NZ. NZski see it as their flagship resort so its almost always opened first (the only time its not opened first was when hutt opened in May a few years back).
Remarks could have been operating for a few weeks now but the powers that be at nzski thing coronet is the better hill.
I too wondered what the holdup with Remarkables for opening used to be. They're nutters I tell you. Coronet is so often affected by the low altitude and rain. The snow is far inferior to either Remarkables or Cardrona whenever I've ever been there. I think they have to accept with the direction the climate is headed, Coronet is going to get more and more marginal whether there's the best automated snowmaking system or not........
Yeah its insane that it opens later and in some years, closes early than coronet peak. I really hoped that all the recent spending on remarks would see it open early but so far its yet to come. Its all about $$$ for NZski though so no surprises, its easier to market coronet to the blue run skiers but IMO, Remarks and Cardrona are more in competition with each other.
Always wondered what the story was with Remarks and it opening after Coronet. Seems to defy logic.
It's beyond stupid......................it marketing genius gone wrong on the largest scale after all the money spent on the Remarks.
Amazing difference in the cover at Mt Hutt compared to last week.
Anyone heading up the mountains today?
Turned out to not be a bad day but its starting to come in a gain now. Winds up and raining a bit at my place.
Coronet should get a few more runs open tomorrow. Possibly Greengates Express, or is that still a bit far away?
Shows how much rain can destroy cover