NZ pause all quarantine free travel with Australia for 3 days

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Well the only good news is Jetstar had already approved my refund before this news came out anyway. No damage to the hip pocket but gee it sucks not having a trip to look forward to. Not to mention I have money in the bank that was ready to be spent in the NZ or Australian travel industry and now it won’t be spent for god news how long. Worse problems to have right now I know but it’s still a problem when money isn’t circulating in the economy.

chunky

Pool Room
Jul 24, 1998
brisbane,qld,aus
Damn and other 4 letter words!!!!
Thx Gladys, very not!!A

Thanks for that Gladys. :mad:
Almost every other 'chief medical officer' clamped down on it straight away unlike the NSW one which is so far up Glady's political influence bum that this mess happened. Can't say that n’ken idiot had any objectivity on this. I bet you that jump on it every time once this one gets done.

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Almost every other 'chief medical officer' clamped down on it straight away unlike the NSW one which is so far up Glady's political influence bum that this mess happened. Can't say that n’ken idiot had any objectivity on this. I bet you that jump on it every time once this one gets done.

I think there was considerable pressure from the right wing of the NSW Govt to 'filter' the medical advice to avoid lockdowns. They all believed in their 'Gold standard' status. Now the whole country is paying for that. :(

I am keeping my options open. I cancelled my leave and credited flights. If there is chance I will try again at short notice using the ADL/AKL route for a chance of late September/October ski. Though I have little confidence that NSW can dig themselves out the the hole they are in. Otherwise I may also look at just catching up with a mate in Picton and check out that region.

Reactions: chunky

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
With the ski season over and Australia slowly opening up (albeit with some pretty high covid infection rates still), any bets on when Jacinda will allow negative tested, fully vaccinated Aussies into UnZid quarantine-free for a holiday? I have tickets booked for mid-January. Hard to know which way the dice will roll... should i change the tickets now while i can or is it worth holding out in case she changes her mind in the next 3 months?

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
With the ski season over and Australia slowly opening up (albeit with some pretty high covid infection rates still), any bets on when Jacinda will allow negative tested, fully vaccinated Aussies into UnZid quarantine-free for a holiday? I have tickets booked for mid-January. Hard to know which way the dice will roll... should i change the tickets now while i can or is it worth holding out in case she changes her mind in the next 3 months?
I'm thinking ...April?
I need to get over there to see my Nan.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
It will be before then I reckon.
The problem...as I see it.

NSW will be open and flying to the world.
Victoria will be open and flying to the world.
WA will still be closed to states with high (or any) rates of covid.

NZ will not open to NSW and Victoria exclusively.
They'll want a nation wide policy.

IMO we in Australia are so so divided .

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
I'm thinking ...April?
I need to get over there to see my Nan.
Qantas are saying December, so it all hinges on Jacinda's decision. Hope you get to see your Nan soon.
I'm heading over for a bestie's 50th. We've been mates since we were teenage penfriends. Her hubs is critically disabled with MS so she can't travel much, needs to organise respite etc which is hard when there's only aged care homes available :( So I'd really like to be there for her special weekend. What will be will be I guess...

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
The problem...as I see it.

NSW will be open and flying to the world.
Victoria will be open and flying to the world.
WA will still be closed to states with high (or any) rates of covid.

NZ will not open to NSW and Victoria exclusively.
They'll want a nation wide policy.

IMO we in Australia are so so divided .
It'll be especially hard if she's not allowing regional Victorians or regional NSW to fly due to Melb/Sydney numbers too.

Edit: actually, NZ did have a NSW/Vic bubble happening earlier in the year, it wasn't Aus-wide (that was when I booked the ticket)

Last edited:

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
It'll be especially hard if she's not allowing Victorians or NSW to fly due to Melb/Sydney numbers too.

Edit: actually, NZ did have a NSW/Vic bubble happening earlier in the year, it wasn't Aus-wide (that was when I booked the ticket)
I think they were flying to Perth and Brisbane as well.
The other issue for NZ.
However they have tonnes of kiwis competing for small numbers of MHQ places.
These tweet confirms that Hotel Q will continue next year.
So I think the chance of travel between Aus and NZ being able is next to zero till well into 2022.

• Angry
Reactions: sastrugi

ScottGN

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 14, 2010
Tāmaki Makaurau - Auckland
Qantas are saying December, so it all hinges on Jacinda's decision. Hope you get to see your Nan soon.
I'm heading over for a bestie's 50th. We've been mates since we were teenage penfriends. Her hubs is critically disabled with MS so she can't travel much, needs to organise respite etc which is hard when there's only aged care homes available :( So I'd really like to be there for her special weekend. What will be will be I guess...
I think Qantas jumped the gun a bit there. But once we’ve vaxxed everyone we realistically can, which should be by the start December at the very latest, I reckon she’ll make her move.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I think Qantas jumped the gun a bit there. But once we’ve vaxxed everyone we realistically can, which should be by the start December at the very latest, I reckon she’ll make her move.
Qantas is jumping the gun everywhere. They are bleeding money.
Joyce is on the phone to slo-mo. Pressuring him.

With the exception of Sydney-Darwin-London and Sydney -LAX I feel flights to other countries will be impacted by those countries restrictions.

Reactions: piolet

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Qantas is jumping the gun everywhere. They are bleeding money.
Joyce is on the phone to slo-mo. Pressuring him.

With the exception of Sydney-Darwin-London and Sydney -LAX I feel flights to other countries will be impacted by those countries restrictions.
My household is scrolling hard on package trips to Fiji or Maldives.. prices sound good.

piolet

Better make it three
Ski Pass
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust
The other issue for NZ.
So I think the chance of travel between Aus and NZ being able is next to zero till well into 2022.
oh ffs

ScottGN

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 14, 2010
Tāmaki Makaurau - Auckland
The other issue for NZ.
The weeping sore that MIQ has become will be one of the factors pushing the govt here I think. Day after day there are stories of distraught people trying to get home or essential workers who can’t navigate the system. There’s growing pressure on the government to get it sorted. The trial for home iso for business travellers starts very soon and hopefully things will go from there. If there’s Covid in Auckland then what’s the point worrying about it coming in from Australia anymore?

chunky

Pool Room
Jul 24, 1998
brisbane,qld,aus
On 17 September 2021, the Government suspended quarantine-free travel with Australia for a further 8 weeks. This is due to the current Delta outbreaks.

Uncontrolled community transmission is still occurring in Australia, with case numbers continuing to steadily increase in some states and territories. In New Zealand, we are getting on top of an outbreak in Auckland.

The Government will review this decision in mid-to-late November 2021, to give more time for our vaccination rates to climb higher.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass