New Zealand NZ Predictions & Observations 2017

Red_switch

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2006
Dunedin, NZ
Was snowing pretty decently at Coronet by this evening. Surprisingly good snow in places. Was in the Pisa Range earlier in the day, lots of snow (found 2 m in a gully at 1500 m) but way variable.

Reactions: MisterMxyzptlk

Secretcookie

Addicted
May 31, 2014
IMG_2316.JPG
Not bad at remarks today, raining hard in Queenstown tonight should be good tomorrow

xuěboarder

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2016
How is southern lakes area looking for end August and early September base wise? Cams aren't looking too glamorous

Call_me_Ishmael

One of Us
Nov 19, 2011
I was at Treble Cone yesterday...conditions were sensational. Coverage is excellent...across Fri night to sun night they had about 50cm...which now sets them up well for the rest of the season
They needed it!Great news.Good to see some of that moisture coming from the right direction.Too much of that East Coast nonsense so far this season

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I have a mate doing the west coast loop starting Wednesday night. I pointed out her plan of Hokitika, FJ and Haast may be a bit optimistical.

I'm thinking road closures?

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
BR reporting road open (but carpark full!) Craigieburn road open, Cheeseman road open, Porters road open. Chains on 4WD from the highway though more or less!
I saw Hutt was slow to open (hasn't been open for 3 days?)

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
A friend I went to uni with just told me today was the best snow conditions he had ever experienced in the Southern Hemisphere. 1.2m of fresh on a 2m base at Hutt. They opened the road about 11:30am and there were only a couple of hundred people on the hill. Pictures look epic

Ajmit321

Hard Yards
Dec 11, 2016
Cragieburn was ok today - went up off Hamilton peak. Good knee deep turns for 300m then gluggy slush - lower part of mountain wasnt that pleasant. Glad i packed my skins, lower tow broke down (minor fixed) , then upper tow broke down (serious problem not fixed) so unexpected i did a fair bit of skinning. Nice turns in access chutes if you avoid the rocks also middle basin wasnt too bad. People were awesome Thought the bar would be full of 'fully sick, extreme' wankers, but I met some lovely people instead with a good spread of ages. Keen to go and ski the harder stuff, if I can get up the tows (I think ive got it) ha ha.

Reactions: Froff Life

Ajmit321

Hard Yards
Dec 11, 2016
Also quite sizable avalanches in and around the remarkables.... I saw one go, a person could have been buried.. They kept mountain open though. If I can be bothered i will upload some pics.

EDIT: I didnt mean to imply that they were negligent etc . Just thought that if that was say Buller - whole resort would have shut down ha aha different way of dealing with things.

Last edited:

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
Porters v Cheeseman. Any major differences?
Whilst we're in Methven I would like to take our group up to another mountain after we ski Mt Hutt for a few days (weather permitting). Cheeseman looks a little bigger, are there any other pros/cons of each?

smackies

A Local
Ski Pass
Oct 29, 2002
Porters. Closest chairlift to Christchurch...

Fairly useless chair. Otherwise T and poma. Cheeseman is all Ts, from memory.

Both are enjoyable. Nice easing touring from Cheeseman.

col

One of Us
Jun 25, 2005
what an epic week of snow we have had. Body hurts but having so much fun.

Sunday looks like another 40cm or so for canterbury

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
I'd love to check out the more exotic club fields but we have 2 beginners in our group and would rather keep them away from nutcrackers
Porters as the alternative for your group. IMO
In saying that if conditions are good whilst your there, there's plenty at Hutt for the beginners to improve over 5 days and others to push themselves. Just depends on conditions. Porters is a good option if hutt closes.

smackies

A Local
Ski Pass
Oct 29, 2002
Mmmm. Looks like a powder breakfast on Sunday and something with sun on Monday.

Rather excited.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums