New Zealand NZ Predictions & Observations 2017

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
You guys across this thing on the 9th? Looking big for NZ. GFS LWT trough maps a stonker in agreement.
gfs_z500_mslp_swpac_16.png

imageserver.jsp

Centago

One of Us
May 20, 2008
It'll probably be one of the better events for the big mountains on the divide all winter. There isn't heaps of snow in the west atm.
Indeed. Or another way of looking at it - there's still heaps, particularly around Mt Cook, just heaps less than usual. If you know what I'm saying?!

Red_switch

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2006
Dunedin, NZ
Indeed. Or another way of looking at it - there's still heaps, particularly around Mt Cook, just heaps less than usual. If you know what I'm saying?!
I saw some pictures from the Routeburn area taken recently, was a bit shocking/depressing.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Centago

One of Us
May 20, 2008
I saw some pictures from the Routeburn area taken recently, was a bit shocking/depressing.
True. Satellite imagery, when I've looked, has Fiordland looking pretty barren this winter. Qtown had just two-thirds of usual rainfall for the winter season.

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
Heading over next week for the Family Week
Was kicking myself a bit about not doing Perisher, but then I remembered a week in Queenstown is just about better than a week anywhere else and certainly better than Jindabyne
And I think there will be a nice cover for my under 10's!

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
Avalanche to lake level at ohau. Looks like they had a bit up top .... cafe door will need digging out.
I don't think in 25 years in the Southern Lakes I can recall anything like that
@Red_switch may have some comments on the snow pack but from what I've heard before arriving this new snow has fallen on a fairly hard established snow pack
I'm just trying to work out where it's come from and how far it travelled?
That pic looks like it's not far up from the gate so it must have come a fair way down the mountain?
Remarkable

Red_switch

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2006
Dunedin, NZ
I don't think in 25 years in the Southern Lakes I can recall anything like that
@Red_switch may have some comments on the snow pack but from what I've heard before arriving this new snow has fallen on a fairly hard established snow pack
I'm just trying to work out where it's come from and how far it travelled?
That pic looks like it's not far up from the gate so it must have come a fair way down the mountain?
Remarkable
I've not seen something of this magnitude outside of the Milford Road and the BIG hills of the main divide. This was a big snowfall with LOTS of wind. My guess is stiff storm slab poorly bonded to crust, or possibly overloading of older persistent weakness.

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
Thanks Red
Obviously most of my time in the Southern lakes is spent in resorts or on access roads but I couldn't recall anything like this before
Ohau is a strange beast though
When you look up at it it kind of just looks like it wants to slide down

col

One of Us
Jun 25, 2005
Metservice has 50cm+ forecast for canterbury on Monday and Tuesday.

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
I know CP and Remarks have just scratched through this week trying to hold out for Aus/NZ school hols
Not sure they'd make it another 2 weeks

col

One of Us
Jun 25, 2005
Mt Hutt still has 260-360cm....should be plenty at least into November.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass